Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Vegas Disney Fan

The shareholders led by Roy Disney and Stanley Gold seem to think so. The campaign to get rid of Eisner worked.
Eisner had 2 distinct eras, the wonderful pre Wells death, pre EuroDisney era, and the horrible post Wells death, post EuroDisney era… unfortunately losing Wells and EuroDisneys initial failure turned Eisner from a parks loving dreamer into a budget focused micromanager.

I dont think you’ll get many arguments it was time for Eisner to go after he gave us DCA, MGM, and the Studio Park in Paris, it’s sad that he lost his love for the parks and went from beautiful ambitious projects like EuroDisney and AK to uninspired parks built around the cheap studio “theme”.

Unfortunately Iger has followed a similar path, early in his reign he gave us amazing projects like DCA 2.0, Pandora, etc and now we get cheap uninspired projects like Pixar Pier and Cosmic Rewind, an amazing ride stuck inside a huge blue box.

Last edited:

CAV

I'm sure TDO has the numbers on what the average "guest" spends on their vacay, I would like for Bob to vacay the parks only using that sum and experience what the average guest gets for their money
I'd like for Eisner, et al, to take what the average guest spends on their vacay as a percentage of their salary then extrapolate to THEIR exorbitant salary and then pay THAT to visit the park. I'm guessing they wouldn't find value.

Lilofan

Eisner had 2 distinct eras, the wonderful pre Wells death, pre EuroDisney era, and the horrible post Wells death, post EuroDisney era… unfortunately losing Wells and EuroDisneys initial failure turned Eisner from a parks loving dreamer into a budget focused micromanager.

I dont think you’ll get many arguments it was time for Eisner to go after he gave us DCA, MGM, and the Studio Park in Paris, it’s sad that he lost his love for the parks and went from beautiful ambitious projects like EuroDisney and AK to uninspired parks built around the cheap studio “theme”.

Unfortunately Iger has followed a similar path, early in his reign he gave us amazing projects like DCA 2.0, Pandora, etc and now we get cheap uninspired projects like Pixar Pier and Cosmic Rewind, an amazing ride stuck inside a huge blue box.
Parks continued improvement and expansion was not of Iger strong suits, but Eisner did not have the wheeling and dealing that Iger had for Iger to acquire Star Wars, Pixar and Marvel. One in your face heck no this is not happening is that when Eisner had plans and ready to build Disney America park in Northern VA. The VA locals had the last word and the locals won.

Vegas Disney Fan

Parks continued improvement and expansion was not of Iger strong suits, but Eisner did not have the wheeling and dealing that Iger had for Iger to acquire Star Wars, Pixar and Marvel.
100% agree, Eisner damaging the relationship with Pixar was likely the final nail in his coffin while acquisition and overseeing huge deals had absolutely been Igers biggest strength, maintaining those brands has probably been his biggest weakness though, they’ve made a ton of money off Pixar, Star Wars, and Marvel but I think they’ve all lost some of their luster since Disney took them over.

TrainsOfDisney

it’s sad that he lost his love for the parks and went from beautiful ambitious projects like EuroDisney and AK to uninspired parks built around the cheap studio “theme”.
I don’t think Eisner lost his love for the parks - he got scared because EuroDisney didn’t work out initially and he and Wells had to answer to the board.

DCA, Studios Paris, and DAK were all budget cut beyond what they should have been - but I would argue they still increased capacity at all 3 resorts and created the infrastructure for lots of successful future expansion.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I can advertise a cow pie that doesn’t mean people will buy it.

…and yeah I hate Disney. It’s why I own multiple DVC contracts, have an annual pass, have been going for over 30 years, and spend time on a Disney forum
Yeah…we all have you pegged, hater
There are obvious and massive failures on that list. Like how they mishandled the Star Wars franchise.

There are successes, too.

I’m hopeful they will begin to make meaningful new investments into the WDW offering, to better justify the steep price.
The current situation does not look like it’s a good time to spend to the observer. Skepticism should be high
Few things in life should be “one strike you’re out”.
Agree…

On the flip side few should get 50 as well

bwr827

Yes and no. Not sure what your definition is.

If someone spends $1k’s on a Disney trip and they feel like it wasn’t worth the money, or it was a “one and done” trip - they shouldn’t be expected to return in a year or 2 and give it another try.
The initial context was restaurants. I used “few things” to allow however much room you might need for your trip example.

Re: trips, plenty of stories where a family “did it wrong”, eg showed up with zero planning, thought Potter was at Hollywood Studios, etc., and having botched the first try can saddle up once more and have an amazing trip the next time.

But I digress.

TrainsOfDisney

The initial context was restaurants.
So if a family of 4 spends spends $280 on Be Our Guest and doesn’t feel like the food and service was worth it - they should try again?

I didn’t keep going back to WDW because I wanted to “get it right” with my planning - I kept going back cause they consistently delivered a great experience with or without planning.

Lilofan

So if a family of 4 spends spends $280 on Be Our Guest and doesn’t feel like the food and service was worth it - they should try again?

I didn’t keep going back to WDW because I wanted to “get it right” with my planning - I kept going back cause they consistently delivered a great experience with or without planning.
If BOG a pre fixed menu or not? It is not. We have been to other dining locations where service was off and menu item selection was ok. Next visit service was spot on and different menu selection was spot on along with presentation and taste. FYI - we shared our feedback with dining room mgr on our first visit.

MickeyLuv'r

Some like us too don't believe 1 strike you're out mentality. We back to see if experience is improved.
Depends how big the strike is. Small strike, yes.

But big strikes are sometimes one and done.

At WDW too, some strikes we overlook. Others have been big enough that we stay away for a few years or longer.

At places like WDW, if one Disney Springs restaurant is bad, there are enough other good options that we don't feel a strong need to return to one of the bad options.

Outside of a place like WDW, bad dining locations have a way of going away if enough people feel they are bad. There isn't an opportunity to return. Even within WDW: we had a bad meal at Kouzzina, and then it was gone a short time later. (The current eatery in the same location is better.)

In a place like WDW or Universal, food quality tends to wax and wane over time. Disney's chefs also move around to different locations over time, but stay within WDW, so that's also a factor when it comes to WDW and Universal.

Lilofan

Depends how big the strike is. Small strike, yes.

But big strikes are sometimes one and done.

At WDW too, some strikes we overlook. Others have been big enough that we stay away for a few years or longer.

At places like WDW, if one Disney Springs restaurant is bad, there are enough other good options that we don't feel a strong need to return to one of the bad options.

Outside of a place like WDW, bad dining locations have a way of going away if enough people feel they are bad. There isn't an opportunity to return. Even within WDW: we had a bad meal at Kouzzina, and then it was gone a short time later. (The current eatery in the same location is better.)

In a place like WDW or Universal, food quality tends to wax and wane over time. Disney's chefs also move around to different locations over time, but stay within WDW, so that's also a factor when it comes to WDW and Universal.
We loved Kat Kora's Kouzinna.. We even met her when she was in the location greeting the guests . I did not care for brussel sprouts but the way the kitchen prepared it flavored with garlic was delish.

Last edited:

bwr827

Okay, okay — my comment was not a “defend Disney” remark. It was a comment about a life philosophy.

Vegas Disney Fan

If someone spends $1k’s on a Disney trip and they feel like it wasn’t worth the money, or it was a “one and done” trip - they shouldn’t be expected to return in a year or 2 and give it another try.
This perfectly describes my middle brother, he went to DL once and hated it, too crowded, lines were all long, too expensive, etc… that was 15 years ago and he’s never stepped foot in a Disney park since, you only get one chance to make a first impression.

This describes my oldest brother, my sister, and myself… I’ve told the story before about how my first trip to DL I watched a couple characters interact with a group of kids with Down syndrome for probably half an hour, it was one of the most “magical” things I’ve ever seen in my life, my first trip to WDW Stitch nearly tackled me as I was walking to Space Mtn at rope drop, to this day I don’t know how he knew I was feeling uncomfortable (as a single middle aged guy) at WDW but he grabbed me out of the crowd and bear hugged me and it’s a moment I’ll never forget, it also defined the rest of my trip, from that moment on I no longer felt like a single old guy, I was just a big kid enjoying WDW.

Disney has always been expensive and a bit confusing but when they get it right it’s like no other place on earth.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom