Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Saskdw

Some things as I catch up on this thread.

The biggest problems Disney theme parks have in Florida:
1. Price
2. Price
3. Price
4. Bob and Josh ignoring 1-3

And despite what Bob or anyone else wants to claim, it has always been hot in Orlando in the summer. A. L. W. A. Y. S. Does 93F with 85% humidity really feel different than 95F with 85% humidity because some weather hypers and doomsayers claim it is? It doesn't to me. I walked out of our room in the morning, in the mid-2000's in the middle of July, and had sunglasses immediately fog over. Guess what? That hasn't changed in 20 years.

Dining is a major problem, particularly around offerings and pricing. I have long held the belief that pricing 10-17 year olds as "adults" was idiotic. TDO has done a fantastic job of watering down menus and essentially bungling many of their restaurants in their quest for more money.
They are starting to address the price with discounts. But they are finding out the standard 20%-30% discounts don't sway enough people when your prices are 40%-50% too high for the product you are offering.

The food prices is something that really needs to be addressed. Nobody is buying the pandemic excuse anymore.

JD80

They are starting to address the price with discounts. But they are finding out the standard 20%-30% discounts don't sway enough people when your prices are 40%-50% too high for the product you are offering.

The food prices is something that really needs to be addressed. Nobody is buying the pandemic excuse anymore.

20-30% was probably barely doing it pre-pandemic. I never thought 20% off a night at CBR at $250 a night for a 6 night vacation worth writing home about. I'm not going to turn up my nose at $300 off, but $300 isn't going to be a deciding factor of whether I go to WDW again or not.

Especially now with the cost of tickets.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Exactly. They've priced themselves out of much of their once-core market or reduced them to once every 3-5 year visitors instead of every year or every other year visitors. The discounts are temporary and don't address the underlying and multiple pricing problems that they've created. You can't jack prices up 115% and then claim you're giving people a deal with a 20% discount. That is why Bob and Josh love first-time guests - They don't know any better.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Some things as I catch up on this thread.

The biggest problems Disney theme parks have in Florida:
1. Price
2. Price
3. Price
4. Bob and Josh ignoring 1-3

And despite what Bob or anyone else wants to claim, it has always been hot in Orlando in the summer. A. L. W. A. Y. S. Does 93F with 85% humidity really feel different than 95F with 85% humidity because some weather hypers and doomsayers claim it is? It doesn't to me. I walked out of our room in the morning, in the mid-2000's in the middle of July, and had sunglasses immediately fog over. Guess what? That hasn't changed in 20 years.

Dining is a major problem, particularly around offerings and pricing. I have long held the belief that pricing 10-17 year olds as "adults" was idiotic. TDO has done a fantastic job of watering down menus and essentially bungling many of their restaurants in their quest for more money.
….might be on to something here

Vegas Disney Fan

I’d love to know if merchandise sales have plummeted also.

We used to come home from trips with bags of souvenirs, now it’s rare for us to leave with more than 1 or 2 items.

I have a drawer full of Disney PJ bottoms, I’d buy one almost every trip when they were $20-25, now that they’re $35+ I haven’t bought one in probably 3 years, they had a cute Stitch print last trip and it was $44.99, they’re crazy if they think I’m spending $45 for PJ bottoms. Same with T-shirts, I’d buy them every trip at $20-30, now that they’re $40+ I’ll never buy another one.

The worst part is as the prices have gone up the quality has simultaneously gone down, I have Disney shirts from 10 years ago that are so soft they still feel amazing, some of the more recent ones feel like they were made from sandpaper.

wannabeBelle

We used to come home from trips with bags of souvenirs, now it’s rare for us to leave with more than 1 or 2 items.

I have a drawer full of Disney PJ bottoms, I’d buy one almost every trip when they were $20-25, now that they’re $35+ I haven’t bought one in probably 3 years, they had a cute Stitch print last trip and it was $44.99, they’re crazy if they think I’m spending $45 for PJ bottoms. Same with T-shirts, I’d buy them every trip at $20-30, now that they’re $40+ I’ll never buy another one.

The worst part is as the prices have gone up the quality has simultaneously gone down, I have Disney shirts from 10 years ago that are so soft they still feel amazing, some of the more recent ones feel like they were made from sandpaper.
Same!!! As the quality, and the unique styles from the various locations became scarce not to mention the decline in quality, I havent bought much of anything lately. Marie

Saskdw

Merchandise would definitely be one of the first things people would cut back on to save money.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

This question doesn’t get enough attention…

That is how they’ve churned billions upon billions of profits from the place.

That is it. It’s not park hopper fees or nonsense Halloween tickets in August

It’s the high mark up consumer product churn all day, every day

The changes in travel reality has to have cut HUGE into their model.

Bag fees…weight restrictions…plus of course no urgency to buy specialty things on site with web sales.

We have talked nonstop about pricing for over a year…and it’s only gonna intensify…but the silent pressure of why they do stupid pricing things does go back to a drop in “easy revenue/profit”

Especially as they lose their tv money and need it from parks and boats

And…not a small thing…they have started tanking their IP. Less desire by the general masses to own pieces of that.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
This question doesn’t get enough attention…

That is how they’ve churned billions upon billions of profits from the place.

That is it. It’s not park hopper fees or nonsense Halloween tickets in August

It’s the high mark up consumer product churn all day, every day

The changes in travel reality has to have cut HUGE into their model.

Bag fees…weight restrictions…plus of course no urgency to buy specialty things on site with web sales.

We have talked nonstop about pricing for over a year…and it’s only gonna intensify…but the silent pressure of why they do stupid pricing things does go back to a drop in “easy revenue/profit”

Especially as they lose their tv money and need it from parks and boats

And…not a small thing…they have started tanking their IP. Less desire by the general masses to own pieces of that.

When the merchandise stopped being as creative and unique (ie. Finding the same generic stuff in every store across the resort), my purchases dropped like a rock. The only even remotely interesting things I've seen over the past few years were one or two shirts outside of Pirates and the ToT skeletal bellhop shirt I regret not purchasing every day (I've seen them on eBay but sizing is a problem, not to mention the prices people want :rolleyes:). Merchandise has seemingly become a contest as to "which design can we put the least amount of effort into and still fool people into buying".

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
When the merchandise stopped being as creative and unique (ie. Finding the same generic stuff in every store across the resort), my purchases dropped like a rock. The only even remotely interesting things I've seen over the past few years were one or two shirts outside of Pirates and the ToT skeletal bellhop shirt I regret not purchasing every day (I've seen them on eBay but sizing is a problem, not to mention the prices people want :rolleyes:). Merchandise has seemingly become a contest as to "which design can we put the least amount of effort into and still fool people into buying".
That’s the sad result of the “pipeline” that started with pressler and really achieved its dubious heights with Slaphead

Minnesota disney fan

I agree. I quit buying merchandise in 2020. I remember when you could buy resort/park specific items that were unique. That all changed to everything being the same everywhere on site. I first noticed it in the Christmas Shoppe for ornaments. I used to buy one or two unique ornaments a year at WDW. When we looked in 2020, they were all the same as the year before and no new unique ones. I think Disney is missing a good source of revenue if they ever consider that people want quality products that are specific to that park/resort. Quality is the word. Most people don't mind shelling out money for a quality Tshirt or ornament. The made in China cookie cutter products dont' cut it for us.

Saskdw

We aren't big souvenir people, but when we do get something we want it to be an exclusive item that can only be bought at WDW.

LSLS

Good point. Legit we came home with 0 things this time. 0. We have never done that before, but money was spent elsewhere, and honestly, we were so frustrated with the parks experience and the hotel we didn't really want any.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

One of my old refrains…

Prior to the pricing stupidity of the 2010s…a 30% discount would stop any consumer defections.

Now on the other side…in a changing world…my guess is it will take as much as 60%.

They can’t do it. The math isn’t possible.

C33Mom

CG could frame it as "For the consideration of your fellow guests......"

Maybe guests at WDW can have a wonderful visit and go back home learning some basic manners.
I’m not denying the pricing, crowding, heat, etc., that are keeping people away but I think this hits on something as well— many park guests (potentially partially due to the factors I just listed, along with Disney’s desire to monetize alcohol) are ill behaved and inconsiderate— whether it’s line cutting, lying to get DAS for unlimited fastpass, jumping in front of someone who’s been sitting waiting to watch a parade/fireworks show for an hour but left 8 inches between them and the rope, holding a table for 3+ hours to watch a show, shoving kids out of the way in the pre-show rooms to get closer to the door, etc., there’s a lack of civility that makes the park experience less pleasant in totality. I feel like I have personally heard several people justify “beating the system/man/mouse” when they aren’t actually punishing Disney, they are mostly making things worse for their fellow guests.

Also, when thinking about prices, the dollar is extremely strong, so as painful as price hikes are for us Americans who earn and save in dollars, they are about 20 to 30% worse for nearly everyone else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom