Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is exactly what I mean. Thank you.

I get why certain places need fixed-price menus. We've all seen a party of 4 order one pizza and four waters while camping out for three hours to see fireworks. The restaurant has to make money. And I'm not sure there's a way, other than a time limit, to prevent that.

But it's also understandable that guests just don't accept the current value proposition.

For BOG specifically, my guess is the next thing Disney does is throw characters at it.

The Fixe pricing…along with the buffet prices…are one of dozens of moves that have overextended their reach.

There are dozens of examples stacking up. The savior has done nothing to reassure the customers. Only made it worsewith Aloofness…if we’re honest.

Nubs70

And gets even worse when your kids are "Disney Adults" ... My youngest turns 10 this coming week meaning I will have 3 Disney Adults - basically takes all Prefixe/buffets off the table. Also dessert parties when I have to pay for them as adults but they can't even get the benefit of the included alcohol.

Stinks for places like California Grill which we used to love - would get flat breads and sushi and just share stuff. Would go almost every trip - haven't been back since switched to a Prefixe as just can't pay the Adult price for them
You do know your children could be 9 for a few more years.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Also shows pretty clearly the two post-Covid happy-to-be-here bumps.

Skipper started off with a lot of anticipation but pretty quickly hit rough patch because of the word of mouth of the more "adventurous" entrée selection which may have scared off some guests who think pickles on a cheeseburger might be pushing the limits. When they went to a generalized menu things improved and it is probably one of the better (not great) TS selections in a park that has horrible TS options.

BOG was the first of its kind novelty QS/TS with lots of hype when it first came about. I remember the pre-booking system to get a lunch reservation. The food was average at best and certainly didn't justify the price for the experience. The real kicker was the pre-fix. There is no value in it for what you get. Maybe it attracts first timers, but it seems like returning park guests will just skip it.

Also the pre-fix is obliterating California Grill. Several CM friends who've worked there for decades say that the feedback they get is awful and it is all because of the pre-fix menu. ADRs have been down considerably there. Like to the point where they've cut back on staff. They actually observe that they used to have guests come in and drop a lot of money on apps and deserts and drinks, that because of the now regimented structure of the menu prevents them from doing it. There was talk about introducing a "cover charge" and going back to the Ala-cart menu, but I don't think it surveyed well. However, if you sit a the bar, you can do ala-cart. They don't advertise it, but you can do it without any problems.

TheMaxRebo

Goodness knows I wish the prix-fixe mandate would go away. For medical reasons, I simply can't eat that much food. At least with all-you-care-to-eat meals I can ask for the child rate - there is no similar accommodation with prix-fixe meals. If these restaurants at least offered standalone meals, my dining options would open up dramatically.

If the Prefixe was an option, but not the only option that would be great

I would even be fine with like a "minimum $ per table" policy or something - I get not wanting people to take up a table at California Grill during fireworks and only order an appetizer or something ... But when we went we did spend decent $, it was just more on what we actually wanted to eat and sharing things and stuff, not structured like a prefixe

Ayla

I get why certain places need fixed-price menus. We've all seen a party of 4 order one pizza and four waters while camping out for three hours to see fireworks. The restaurant has to make money. And I'm not sure there's a way, other than a time limit, to prevent that.

But it's also understandable that guests just don't accept the current value proposition.

For BOG specifically, my guess is the next thing Disney does is throw characters at it.
Why doesn't Disney implement a time limit past 7pm at restaurants around WS? I know restaurants around Fiserv Forum in downtown Milwaukee (where Bucks play, major concerts, etc) have strict time limits on event nights (and they enforce them).

Dr.GrantSeeker

If the Prefixe was an option, but not the only option that would be great

I would even be fine with like a "minimum $ per table" policy or something - I get not wanting people to take up a table at California Grill during fireworks and only order an appetizer or something ... But when we went we did spend decent $, it was just more on what we actually wanted to eat and sharing things and stuff, not structured like a prefixe
This is something I would much rather see. Introduce a minimum spend per table depending on party size or something. We always went to Cali Grill in the past and would order multiple apps, our entrees and deserts and cocktails, for just my wife and I. We would spend more than what the pre-fixe now is and had a much better experience because the menu was more extensive and we got to build our own menu essentially. Shame, we don't go back to Cali Grill much these days.

LSLS

It'll be fascinating to see if that works. Based on our trip last week, characters aren't fixing things. Tusker was empty, as was Akershus. I have never seen it where there aren't lines outside waiting to get into those two places. Friends we went with actually got into the Royal Table the DAY OF. People love character meals, but for 2 adults and 2 kids (and we have seen the debate on a "kid"), to spend over $250 on a buffet is just a non-starter, let alone more for a price fix. I think the kid pricing is what has really gone crazy. You want me to spend $40 to feed my 6 year old?

TheMaxRebo

I think it's better stated as you want me to spend $40+ for a bowl of mac and cheese for my 6yr old?

Because that's what happens A LOT. Lol
We actively avoid buffets for this very reason.

At least with character meals you can think of it as $40 for you kid to meet 4 or 5 characters without waiting in line in the parks and gets a bowl of Mac n cheese as an extra.

With non-character Prefixe it is even harder (at least for me) to justify

JD80

I don't mind spending more dollars for character meals because there is value there for kids under the age of 10 before they are Disney Adults. With two of my kids being 10 and 12 for our next trip that is certainly out of the question now.

JD80

Last time I did BOG was for dinner prior to the prefixe menu. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit in the main dining room. Would like to go back sometime, but not at $300 for my family.

That $300 is almost the cost of converting all my tickets (it's 2/3rds) to hoppers.

erasure fan1

At least with character meals you can think of it as $40 for you kid to meet 4 or 5 characters without waiting in line in the parks and gets a bowl of Mac n cheese as an extra.

That's true, we paid $55 for my son to eat at Ohana, he had half a bowl of mac and cheese and a few spoonfulls of ice cream, that was it. We haven't been back since. But at least he got to do a lap around the restaurant pushing a coconut with a broom. Lol

Nubs70

Why doesn't Disney implement a time limit past 7pm at restaurants around WS? I know restaurants around Fiserv Forum in downtown Milwaukee (where Bucks play, major concerts, etc) have strict time limits on event nights (and they enforce them).
CG could frame it as "For the consideration of your fellow guests......"

Maybe guests at WDW can have a wonderful visit and go back home learning some basic manners.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Some things as I catch up on this thread.

The biggest problems Disney theme parks have in Florida:
1. Price
2. Price
3. Price
4. Bob and Josh ignoring 1-3

And despite what Bob or anyone else wants to claim, it has always been hot in Orlando in the summer. A. L. W. A. Y. S. Does 93F with 85% humidity really feel different than 95F with 85% humidity because some weather hypers and doomsayers claim it is? It doesn't to me. I walked out of our room in the morning, in the mid-2000's in the middle of July, and had sunglasses immediately fog over. Guess what? That hasn't changed in 20 years.

Dining is a major problem, particularly around offerings and pricing. I have long held the belief that pricing 10-17 year olds as "adults" was idiotic. TDO has done a fantastic job of watering down menus and essentially bungling many of their restaurants in their quest for more money.

LSLS

Correct, but I think that's the issue. At $20 or so, people justify it. At $40? No way. Especially if you have 2 kids and are now spending $80 for them (assuming you yourself and your significant other can put down $65 worth of food).

Saskdw

We vacationed at WDW and UO for 2 weeks every December from 2008 t0 2017.
Due to home renovations and a career change we didn't go again until after the pandemic.
We went again for 2 weeks in December 2022 and 2023.

We stayed at Universal for most of those days. The single biggest sticker shock was how much food costs increased. UO used to have significantly better food prices than WDW. Not anymore!!

This past December it was just me and my wife and we spent over $2000 US on food. Add on 40% for the exchange on CDN funds and we spent $3000 on food. Out of those 28 days 23 were at UO and 5 at WDW.

We knew the increases in rooms/tickets etc obviously before went, but didn't really look at food prices.

This is literally double what we spent on food from our 2017 trip. This is way more the inflation, this is outright gouging. It's not exclusive to Disney. This is the entire Orlando tourist district.

Most of the food we ate was decent, but nothing that justifies the cost. Especially when your expected to add 20% tip to that.

Poseidon Quest

Sea World has been packed ? Show some ## to back up that claim. Shorter season is more limited time to go, nothing new about that.

I went on Friday the fifth for a preview of their new coaster and the park was an almost unwalkable mess of people. I looked at Universal and Disney wait times and their parks were relatively quiet. SeaWorld is definitely pulling in locals and I saw massive tour groups of probably 150+ kids. I didn't think I would see the day where SeaWorld had higher attendance than Magic Kingdom, but it appears that the park has found its niche.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom