Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

bwr827

Probably! And a lot more likely than “no one eats when it’s hot outside.” I’ve often said that Disney is likely cannibalizing its revenue streams with various things like G+ and price increases.
Last trip, we hit Space 220 and Homecomin’, and otherwise did quick service.

This December, we budgeted no table service at all — to manage our numbers.

Lilofan

Money that would go to food now goes for increased admission cost and Genie+ and LL.
When one are is lacking in revenue others areas gain from it by execs thinking out of box to get increased quarterly revenue to impress Wall Street. Disney isn't the only player in this game. Its called quarterly capitalism.

JD80

For the majority of people I'd assume that the reason people aren't going:
  1. Cost
  2. Nothing new or enticing
  3. Nickle and Diming from the last trip was a turnoff.
  4. Last time we went it was too crowded
  5. I've gone in the last 1-3 years and I'll again in 1-3 years. (cooldown effect?)
  6. Heat
  7. Wait until Epic Universe
  8. Pandemic altering how people do vacations
I've put these in some general order of impact. I'm drinking my first cup of coffee so I probably forgot something.

S Tier: #1 #2
A Tier: #3 #4
B Tier: #5 #6
C Tier: #7
D Tier: #8

Generally, I think Heat influences when people go and not if they go. This goes to the whole taking kids out of school thing. Previously many families were only able to go in the summers, now they are allowing themselves to go in other times of the year.

JD80

Lightning Lane usage is significantly lower since the DAS change, so standby guests are getting more ride capacity.

We’ve seen 30-50% lower, and would not be surprised at higher numbers.

So if we are seeing a LL reduction and standby getting more capacity that in turn reduces the standby wait times correct?

If that is the case, is comparing wait times of today vs. any other time previous to the DAS change irrelevant?

Bonus consideration question: How does the DAS change effect crowd calendar calculations?

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
For the majority of people I'd assume that the reason people aren't going:
  1. Cost
  2. Nothing new or enticing
  3. Nickle and Diming from the last trip was a turnoff.
  4. Last time we went it was too crowded
  5. I've gone in the last 1-3 years and I'll again in 1-3 years. (cooldown effect?)
  6. Heat
  7. Wait until Epic Universe
  8. Pandemic altering how people do vacations
I've put these in some general order of impact. I'm drinking my first cup of coffee so I probably forgot something.

S Tier: #1 #2
A Tier: #3 #4
B Tier: #5 #6
C Tier: #7
D Tier: #8

Generally, I think Heat influences when people go and not if they go. This goes to the whole taking kids out of school thing. Previously many families were only able to go in the summers, now they are allowing themselves to go in other times of the year.
Removal of magical express, diminishing quality in places (food, ride maintenance, etc), G+ LL, ILL, Virtual Queues all making a day at Disney a lottery game on your phone vs a stress free vacation, some unpopular decisions being made in the parks or within the company as a whole, etc etc

TheMaxRebo

I don't get the heat argument either. Being extremely hot in Florida in the summer is nothing new.
It used to be a busy time for Disney and was always very hot.

And Disney did a lot to push people away from the crowded summer months and people went with that, seeing the enjoyment of going in cooler times and enjoying the holiday parties and different Epcot festivals. And we see the peak weeks are still really crowded (Thanksgiving, Spring Break, etc)

Plus I think people are more comfortable taking their kids out of school now after dealing with hybrid learning, etc

So you have crowds down in total for sure but also more if that aggregate going at different times of the year o summer is seeing that impact to a greater degree

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom