Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Angel Ariel

When I first walked into that world, I’m telling you, my jaw dropped as I’m sure it’ll have that effect on many people as well. I think the Mario ride isn’t the market for us more for kids who will eat this up

PS I don’t know why my Siri called Yoshi Toshiba? Lol
Sadly my daughter couldn't access MarioKart because of the VR helmet (too heavy on her head, sensory wise she refused to wear it), so she really missed out on the holistic ride experience. We rode it twice but it was just not accessible for her.

Angel Ariel

How exclusive are the Mario rides? And are there enough other rides in the parks for little kids? That would be what I question to see if Disney guests get pushed to Universal.
Can't speak to UO, but UH was a day trip for us with DD, and we didn't need any more time. We spent the most time in WWoHP - both rides (at least 2x each), ollivander's show, wand interactive spots, three broomsticks;, did the backlot tour, Mario kart (2x), and despicable me and secret life of pets. DD has some disabilities and UH is much less accessible than DLR for her.
It was a fun day, but if we go back to DLR this year we won't go back to UH.

seabreezept813

Can't speak to UO, but UH was a day trip for us with DD, and we didn't need any more time. We spent the most time in WWoHP - both rides (at least 2x each), ollivander's show, wand interactive spots, three broomsticks;, did the backlot tour, Mario kart (2x), and despicable me and secret life of pets. DD has some disabilities and UH is much less accessible than DLR for her.
It was a fun day, but if we go back to DLR this year we won't go back to UH.
It sounded like people might not be able to fit on MarioKart, but I’m never sure how exaggerated the size issues at Universal are

davis_unoxx

Florida is busier than ever tourist wise, that’s a fact not an opinion.

So saying because Florida is hotter is why attendance is dropping, doesn’t make sense why Disney would be less busy if the state is doing better than ever tourist wise.

Also TSA last Sunday hit 3 million people in a day for the first time, fact is people are traveling more than ever and Disney is getting a lesser percentage than pre COVID.

Dranth

Florida is busier than ever tourist wise, that’s a fact not an opinion.

So saying because Florida is hotter is why attendance is dropping, doesn’t make sense why Disney would be less busy if the state is doing better than ever tourist wise.

Also TSA last Sunday hit 3 million people in a day for the first time, fact is people are traveling more than ever and Disney is getting a lesser percentage than pre COVID.
Sure it does if you want to recognize a few things which I believe nearly everyone talking about the heat has acknowledged.

1. Attendance is down over all but the discussion about the heat is why the hotter months are down MORE than the other months.

2. Not all places are the same. A day at the beach or on a cruise (both booming vacation options in Florida) are very different heat wise even at the same temperatures when compared to a theme park in central Florida.

So yes, it isn't hard to see why the state could be seeing massive tourist activity while Disney is seeing a decline.

Last edited:

lewisc

They’re not…where is the block that prevents this from being understood?

Also GENIE IS NOT THE CROWD LEVEL
Back in the 90s I read the average Disney family went to WDW twice in their lifetime, and didn't care how much debt they incurred.

That seems to be the current direction.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Back in the 90s I read the average Disney family went to WDW twice in their lifetime, and don't care how much debt is incurred.

That seems to be the current direction.
Did the average family back then was in the same situation as current times where 70% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck ?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sure it does if you want to recognize a few things which I believe nearly everyone talking about the heat has acknowledged.

1. Attendance is down over all but the discussion about the heat is why the hotter months are down MORE than the other months.

2. Not all places are the same. A day at the beach or on a cruise (both booming vacation options in Florida) are very different heat wise even at the same temperatures when compared to a theme park in central Florida.

So yes, it isn't hard to see why the state could be seeing massive tourist activity while Disney is seeing a decline.

You tried to bury your own lead here…

If it’s heat based…then there’s no reason why the crowds are tracking down ALL the time…

Do you realize how wretched their bookings are? It’s ugly…don’t expect them to have a presentation at D23.

So this is Occam’s razor…
If you say “it’s down but MORE when it’s hot…”
That tells you the heat isn’t the fundamental part.

It’s
The
Price

Second
Is the hassle

Third is the stagnation

Fourth is the reputation dip

Maybe 5 is heat?

bwr827

You tried to bury your own lead here…

If it’s heat based…then there’s no reason why the crowds are tracking down ALL the time…

Do you realize how wretched their bookings are? It’s ugly…don’t expect them to have a presentation at D23.

So this is Occam’s razor…
If you say “it’s down but MORE when it’s hot…”
That tells you the heat isn’t the fundamental part.

It’s
The
Price

Second
Is the hassle

Third is the stagnation

Fourth is the reputation dip

Maybe 5 is heat?
Good to know that you are able to acknowledge there are multiple factors involved.

I would imagine the list continues beyond 5 things, too.

Summer heat is on the list. If it’s 3-4 degrees hotter than historical average in July and August (using 2023 data easily googled), that’s worth noting. (And isn’t factoring in humidity, which could also be on the rise for all I know.)

Grimley1968

I don't get the heat argument either. Being extremely hot in Florida in the summer is nothing new.
It used to be a busy time for Disney and was always very hot.

Except in my memories of MK in the 70's in June-August trips. It was always temps in the mid 70's, no humidity, no sunburns and a gentle breeze that came from Canada, skipped over all the hot states in between and descended on central Florida. :rolleyes:

Nope. It was always hot. But WDW was a better value and our personal memories deemphasize the heat, and they always had a/c.

LSLS

Those are “drink coolers”, not fridges, and I agree that it’s insane, especially at a family destination where people are traveling with bottles. Not to mention guests who may be traveling with medication - or just want an actual refrigerator for their kid’s yogurt, to store leftovers from restaurants, etc. People resort to filling them with ice bags and putting a fridge thermometer in to make sure they’re not going to get food poisoning which is - I mean come on, that’s just silly. It’s insane to be paying Disney prices and be shoving bags of ice in a “drink cooler” to create your own makeshift refrigerator. I am more sympathetic to Disney than many on here and do think they’ve been hit by labor shortages and inflation on goods, but the “drink cooler” thing honestly infuriates me.
They aren't even drink coolers in my mind. I had some real anger when I pulled a beer out and it was like 44 degrees. It's so ridiculous the lengths they are going to save literal pennies.

John park hopper

Been many times in the summer in the 70's as I lived in south Florida it was always Hot! in the summer but I seem to remember there was more shade and places to get out of the sun. Never seemed to bother the Brazilian tour groups in June, July, August Haven't been in the summer in years are the Brazilians still going to WDW

Last edited:

rd805

If Disney was keeping up with newer & state of the art attractions and expansion, more people would be visiting right now. I'm typically a yearly visitor, but 2024 doesn't have anything that i NEED to get on. Add the fact that when they do open something, the VQ is a complete joke -- and I could see it as a reason why others don't immediately FLOCK to try to ride "said new attraction". If it's a big crapshoot that you get on -- it may not be worth the risk on planning a vacation. The VQ is a huge problem to me - and could be another small part keeping people away.

I'm waiting for EPIC for my next Orlando visit and will be doing my best to be there within 1 month of opening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom