Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Good to know that you are able to acknowledge there are multiple factors involved.

I would imagine the list continues beyond 5 things, too.

Summer heat is on the list. If it’s 3-4 degrees hotter than historical average in July and August (using 2023 data easily googled), that’s worth noting. (And isn’t factoring in humidity, which could also be on the rise for all I know.)
I don’t think I ever indicated it wasnt multiple things…

But what keeps people away in the big chunks is not the weather

Remember: we hear from people that track data and a lot of travel agents here too…

They don’t talk to people on the asphalt…the feedback comes a lot in the winter

Or in the COLD 6-18 months in advance when people actually book their trips.

Last edited:

Saskdw

Except in my memories of MK in the 70's in June-August trips. It was always temps in the mid 70's, no humidity, no sunburns and a gentle breeze that came from Canada, skipped over all the hot states in between and descended on central Florida. :rolleyes:

Nope. It was always hot. But WDW was a better value and our personal memories deemphasize the heat, and they always had a/c.
Yes, years of Disney raising their prices while lowering the value and quality of the customer experience is finally catching up with them.

orion54

Except in my memories of MK in the 70's in June-August trips. It was always temps in the mid 70's, no humidity, no sunburns and a gentle breeze that came from Canada, skipped over all the hot states in between and descended on central Florida. :rolleyes:

Nope. It was always hot. But WDW was a better value and our personal memories deemphasize the heat, and they always had a/c.
I think this is also a factor. The last few years the almost every building especially ride buildings haven't had the A/C blasting like before. MMRR had almost stagnant air last year. This year was better but nowhere the flow and colder temps of years before.

Lilofan

I think this is also a factor. The last few years the almost every building especially ride buildings haven't had the A/C blasting like before. MMRR had almost stagnant air last year. This year was better but nowhere the flow and colder temps of years before.
When DHS park opened one morning at 9am a few years back we walked into one of the places on Hollywood Blvd and it was humid. The cast member said the AC recently went on and will shortly cool the location the AC was running 24/7 previously but not anymore. That's a $$$ savings right there. To run a business one looks at ways to reduce expenses , that is business 101.

Lilofan

Been many times in the summer in the 70's as I lived in south Florida it was always Hot! in the summer but I seem to remember there was more shade and places to get out of the sun. Never seemed to bother the Brazilian tour groups in June, July, August Haven't been in the summer in years are the Brazilians still going to WDW
The Brazilians probably loved leaving their winter and vacationed in our summer every summer.

Bocabear

When I was a kid I always remember the AC in covered open air spaces.... Like Tomorrowland Terrace, and even the open air queue for 20000 Leagues had AC blowing down from the ceiling.... It made it much more magical...and the Haunted Mansion was kept especially cold... for their "Chilly Reception"...lol Now it is just hot unless you are in a fully enclosed indoors.... and the Haunted Mansion is just average cool temp...not especially cold for the mood

Grimley1968

When I was a kid I always remember the AC in covered open air spaces.... Like Tomorrowland Terrace, and even the open air queue for 20000 Leagues had AC blowing down from the ceiling.... It made it much more magical...and the Haunted Mansion was kept especially cold... for their "Chilly Reception"...lol Now it is just hot unless you are in a fully enclosed indoors.... and the Haunted Mansion is just average cool temp...not especially cold for the mood

I know what you mean. But I can understand WDW wanting to save some money on that, and all their self promotion as an eco-friendly place would hardly permit that anymore, at least not to the extent of decades ago.

Disstevefan1

Ah, the good old days... I think today they are trying to minimize the space in AC to cut costs. I think it always comes down to cutting costs,

Disstevefan1

Exactly they use saving the environment as an excuse to line their pockets
THIS.gif

Lilofan

Exactly they use saving the environment as an excuse to line their pockets
Execs are rewarded by meeting and or exceeding goals that are set . Disney is not the first and won’t be the last org to do this. When Disney years ago stopped the hotel rooms to get the bedsheets , towels to get changed and laundered everyday that was a big $$ cost too.

Last edited:

KDM31091

Of course Orlando has always been hot. I think crowd patterns have shifted. January and February are basically slammed compared to before. Apparently people have less issue pulling their kids out of school for a few days than in the past. And of course, unless you’re dead set on swimming which it can occasionally be a bit chilly for, January February are much better weather for the most part.

It’s not so much that it hasn’t always been hot. I think people are just choosing to avoid it more because it’s not easy to have fun when you are dripping in sweat by 9am.

JoeCamel

Of course Orlando has always been hot. I think crowd patterns have shifted. January and February are basically slammed compared to before. Apparently people have less issue pulling their kids out of school for a few days than in the past. And of course, unless you’re dead set on swimming which it can occasionally be a bit chilly for, January February are much better weather for the most part.

It’s not so much that it hasn’t always been hot. I think people are just choosing to avoid it more because it’s not easy to have fun when you are dripping in sweat by 9am.
It is not a shift in times there are less people coming to the parks.

Dranth

You tried to bury your own lead here…

If it’s heat based…then there’s no reason why the crowds are tracking down ALL the time…

Do you realize how wretched their bookings are? It’s ugly…don’t expect them to have a presentation at D23.

So this is Occam’s razor…
If you say “it’s down but MORE when it’s hot…”
That tells you the heat isn’t the fundamental part.

It’s
The
Price

Second
Is the hassle

Third is the stagnation

Fourth is the reputation dip

Maybe 5 is heat?
The first four things you mentioned are reasons to go less or not at all and I agree pricing would be the main driver. However, those explain the overall dip in attendance but not why there is a BIGGER dip in the late spring and summer vs. fall, winter and early spring.

Yes, we all know Florida is hot in the summer but people acting like sitting around an asphalt and concrete theme park in Orlando mid July is the same as going to a beach or going on a cruise ship. It isn't, at least not for a lot of people.

We have also had many posters on these boards come right out and say heat is the reason they don't go some days (for local APs) or moved their vacations to different months (like myself). Why not believe them?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom