Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No “darker” than it currently is. The fact that attendance is down at least makes the parks more enjoyable to attend.

I’d say the parks more likely to languish than to actually decline.
…at higher prices due to the strain to drag a whole conglomerate along…

I fail to see how “languish” is better?
Maybe food and wine and Halloween parties will be expanded to 365 days a year? 🤔

TrainsOfDisney

WDW has outpriced their median demographic.
I’m not saying that this is not true, but I think the major issue is value.

Disney has always been expensive - but the value was there. Now that is not always the case.

The best example ever - raise prices on a waffle and cut out 2 ingredients (strawberries and blueberries) - that is the problem. Sure you still get a waffle, Nutella, and fruit - but you used to get more ingredients for less money.

John park hopper

Wages have flatlined and inflation people feel when they go to the store is real regardless of what the government would like you to believe.

Disney has always been expensive - but the value was there. Now that is not always the case.

The best example ever - raise prices on a waffle and cut out 2 ingredients (strawberries and blueberries) - that is the problem. Sure you still get a waffle, Nutella, and fruit - but you used to get more ingredients for less money.
And it didn't leave a bad taste in your mouth as it does now knowing you are getting ripped off

Last edited:

Lilofan

Wages have flatlined and inflation people feel when they go to the store is real regardless of what the government would like you to believe.

And it didn't leave a bad taste in your mouth as it doses now knowing you are getting ripped off
Flatlined? Some are flipping burgers for over $20 per hour. I was flipping burgers for $3.35 per hour when I was younger.

fgmnt

We're getting closer and closer to the extreme, ultimate result of the strategic planning group. Still chasing efficiencies that, even if they look like are effective on the surface, continue to chip away at guest satisfaction. They have blown through the obvious ones that most guests would not notice (ie only selling one kind of french fry), the less obvious and slightly annoying ones that still get enough buy in (overall homogenization of key counter service products across all parks and resorts), so what's left is this crap.

space42

And it didn't leave a bad taste in your mouth as it doses now knowing you are getting ripped off
Irony is these exact same conversations were happening on this very site 20 years ago.

Mondo

I think part of the problem is that WDW is priced for people living in high-cost-of-living places, whose incomes reflect that. Here in the small-town Midwest, people make a lot less than people working in states like New York and California. However, the price of living corresponds to these wages, so they make out pretty evenly in the end.

But WDW obviously doesn’t adjust for income, and instead operates on the assumption that you’re making California money rather than Nebraska money.

TL;DR whether WDW is egregiously overpriced depends on where you’re from.

Nubs70

Ticket prices have increased at a significantly higher rate than inflation in general. Even if purchasing power has stayed flat recently that's still an issue because the experience has not improved to justify the real cost increase. The effect is made worse by the hit to purchasing power. It isn't just a median income issue. With respect to WDW, this hits all but the top 5%. It still has an effect on them but they have enough buffer disposable income to grin and bear it.
My opinion is that WDW pricing strategy originally targeted the top 25% of MHI. Now with inflation, the target slid to the top 5%.

the_rich

I think part of the problem is that WDW is priced for people living in high-cost-of-living places, whose incomes reflect that. Here in the small-town Midwest, people make a lot less than people working in states like New York and California. However, the price of living corresponds to these wages, so they make out pretty evenly in the end.

But WDW obviously doesn’t adjust for income, and instead operates on the assumption that you’re making California money rather than Nebraska money.

TL;DR whether WDW is egregiously overpriced depends on where you’re from.
I get what you're saying. The food prices at Disney don't seem bad coming from NYC. I literally spent $100 for a burger, chicken strips, fries and 2 large Cokes at a Mets game last week. Could have gotten much more at wdw.

Mondo

I hear about these people who work pretty modest jobs, yet go to WDW every year, sometimes more than once, and I think "what a waste of money," but then I remember that for them it's a much smaller portion of their income than mine, and it's entirely because of where we live respectively.

the_rich

I hear about these people who work pretty modest jobs, yet go to WDW every year, sometimes more than once, and I think "what a waste of money," but then I remember that for them it's a much smaller portion of their income than mine, and it's entirely because of where we live respectively.
Yea I work as a sanitation worker and the salary here is completely different than anywhere else except maybe certain parts of California.

fgmnt

I get what you're saying. The food prices at Disney don't seem bad coming from NYC. I literally spent $100 for a burger, chicken strips, fries and 2 large Cokes at a Mets game last week. Could have gotten much more at wdw.
It's fair to point out that this is true and also, you are not necessarily as captive of an audience in a 3 hour baseball affair than you are in the middle of what might be a 10-hour day in the park as part of a multi-day vacation.

I live in Manhattan and am definitely more likely to pay more for a meal here than inside the Disney bubble. Difference is that over the course of 4 days in New York I will probably eat out 2 meals at most with per person check capping around $60, whereas I will absolutely hit around that number every single day I am on Disney property in food and drink. That's on top of the fact that you can shop against fine dining down to food cart here, and Disney's food carts are blowing the food carts in Manhattan out of the water on $$$.

the_rich

It's fair to point out that this is true and also, you are not necessarily as captive of an audience in a 3 hour baseball affair than you are in the middle of what might be a 10-hour day in the park as part of a multi-day vacation.

I live in Manhattan and am definitely more likely to pay more for a meal here than inside the Disney bubble. Difference is that over the course of 4 days in New York I will probably eat out 2 meals at most with per person check capping around $60, whereas I will absolutely hit around that number every single day I am on Disney property in food and drink.
I'm just comparing recreational activities. Day to day living is different. Most dinners I have are home cooked so it's going to cost less. But my lunches at work cost more than when I'm at Disney.

Disstevefan1

Very few people are that level of over the top fan boys and honestly, if they are, who cares what they think. They are just limiting their own potential enjoyment.

Reality is that most people don't hate any of the parks in Orlando, they just may not be for them.
You are right, hate is too a strong word here.

It will be interesting to see if WDW loses attendance while at the same time the Universal parks in central Florida gain attendance after EPIC opens.

fgmnt

I'm just comparing recreational activities. Day to day living is different. Most dinners I have are home cooked so it's going to cost less. But my lunches at work cost more than when I'm at Disney.
Absolutely, but the recreational experience at Disney is a lot more locked-in and longer-lasting. It is day-to-day living for what's usually a week of someone's year. I think it's possible to budget for and not entirely damaging, but it's not exactly apples-to-apples.
Generally speaking you can get a decent sized lunch at most qs locations for around $15. I routinely spend $20 a day for lunch here.
I need to pay attention next time I am on Disney property but it is nearly 1:1 parity. Partially why even when I have an in-office day, I usually brown-bag it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom