Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Lilofan

Records....
As of May 29, 2024, Las Vegas had 3,513,500 visitors in April, which was a 3.8% increase from the previous April. This increase was due in part to over 500,000 convention attendees, which was a 36.3% increase from April 2023. Overall, Las Vegas had a record-breaking year for tourism in 2023, with 40,829,900 visitors, which was a 5.2% increase from 2022. This was the highest number of visitors since before the pandemic.
Count me in. I heard the Eagles are performing at the Sphere. The prices make theme park tickets look cheap and have value but who knows how many more years the boys have left in them.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
We like mixing up which month to visit WDW. Halloween, spring, art fest, Christmastime. Not June through Sept. Even if it means spending more. We’ve tried summer a few times over the years and the other visits were much more enjoyable.

Now we only plan Oct-May for WDW. Works well because there’s other destinations we prefer in summer anyway.

Stripes

Premium Member
Attendance is still DOWN. Disney has told you 4 out the last 5 quarters? And the one that just hit the books could Be UGLY. Not everyone is going in October or January…it’s LESS PEOPLE. on-site and off.
Attendance is down compared to the post-pandemic highs. Disney also warned in their last earnings call that Q3 would not be great for parks, but that demand was still very, very good. They also expect Q4 to rebound significantly. Disney is also not alone in seeing weaker demand. Here’s a quote from Comcast’s most recent call.

IMG_0875.jpeg

Of the past 5 quarters, lower attendance and volumes were cited in 2 of the quarters. Attendance and volume were flat year-over-year in 2 of the quarters. And volume was up at WDW in one of the quarters.

Meanwhile attendance at Disneyland has grown in all 5 of last 5 quarters.

Last edited:

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Attendance is down compared to the post-pandemic highs. Disney also warned in their last earnings call that Q3 would not be great for parks, but that demand was still very, very good. They also expect Q4 to rebound significantly. Disney is also not alone in seeing weaker demand. Here’s a quote from Comcast’s most recent call.

View attachment 796933
The very very good and rebounding significantly in Q4 parts I wouldn’t put money on, but we’ll see

Lilofan

My reply there has nothing to do with his ridiculous rental reservations many caught attention to yesterday. We are past that.

My reply was factual. People used to flock there in the summer in the past. Many rides dinning shows merch etc are indoors in AC. It is hot but it’s manageable.

I don’t live in Florida, but it’s as hot here where I am as it is there. I’ve also been there in July and August before when it’s blistering hot with massive humidity. Is it my favorite time of year to visit, heck no, but it’s manageable
I have been traveling to WDW for over 30 years. I’ve noticed over the years guests have been more rude, impatient , demanding , some dress like slobs, etc. I would not be surprised if the patience has worn thin and the heat and humidity does play a factor. The older you get it actually risks your health and at times your sanity. When Iger advised in an interview that the hot weather played a factor in attendance he does have a point but in these forums is met with ridicule by a few arm chair QBs that think they know better. Some mention pricing which is indeed higher but a few I know don’t even think 2x to purchase experiences much more expensive than at WDW but the same complain that WDW is too high in pricing?

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I have been traveling to WDW for over 30 years. I’ve noticed over the years guests have been more rude, impatient , demanding , some dress like slobs, etc. I would not be surprised if the patience has worn thin and the heat and humidity does play a factor. The older you get it actually risks your health and at times your sanity. When Iger advised in an interview that the hot weather played a factor in attendance he does have a point but in these forums is met with ridicule by a few arm chair QBs that think they know better. Some mention pricing which is indeed higher but a few I know don’t even think 2x to purchase experiences much more expensive than at WDW but the same complain that WDW is too high in pricing?
There are definitely older Disney vacationers who would rather travel outside of summer months, but if the younger families aren’t backfilling them in the summer like they have in the past, that could be a problem long term.

As for the rude impatient and demanding Disney guests I do see more of that than in the past for sure. I think part of that is the higher costs now and the expectation to be able to get your moneys worth and be able to experience all the popular attractions which may or may not be possible now especially with all the confusion around G+ etc. Stack on top of that way more stress in a park day than before, quality and offerings have decreased in some places, and ride downtime is increasing. It’s not a good recipe. Even worse in the heat for those unable to manage it.

TrainsOfDisney

I think part of that is the higher costs now and the expectation to be able to get your moneys worth and be able to experience all the popular attractions which may or may not be possible now especially with all the confusion around G+ etc. Stack on top of that way more stress in a park day than before, quality and offerings have decreased in some places, and ride downtime is increasing. It’s not a good recipe. Even worse in the heat for those unable to manage it.
WDW has also put in several systems that rush guests and encourage CM’s to value efficiency over courtesy. Both security and tap entrances are good examples.

I’ve also seen this at quick service locations where only a few registers are open and the wait to get the food is much longer because there is less staff in the kitchen, etc.

Lilofan

There are definitely older Disney vacationers who would rather travel outside of summer months, but if the younger families aren’t backfilling them in the summer like they have in the past, that could be a problem long term.

As for the rude impatient and demanding Disney guests I do see more of that than in the past for sure. I think part of that is the higher costs now and the expectation to be able to get your moneys worth and be able to experience all the popular attractions which may or may not be possible now especially with all the confusion around G+ etc. Stack on top of that way more stress in a park day than before, quality and offerings have decreased in some places, and ride downtime is increasing. It’s not a good recipe. Even worse in the heat for those unable to manage it.
Yes I agree there is a lot more homework for guests to do to pull off a magical vacation. Like all the stress of a vacation then one needs another vacation when returning home to destress.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

View attachment 796933

Of the past 5 quarters, lower attendance and volumes were cited in 2 of the quarters. Attendance and volume were flat year-over-year in 2 of the quarters. And volume was up at WDW in one of the quarters.

Meanwhile attendance at Disneyland has grown in all 5 of last 5 quarters.
Post pandemic weren’t the highs…pre pandemic were

It went up for two years…peaked a decent number less than the highs…and has headed south for two.

That’s assured…two years minimum.

You can have your own “personal truth” if you want. It has no bearing on the actual truth.

Disneyland was closed for much longer and their clientele resembles little resemblance to wdw’s.

Everyone here knows that…but it’s so convenient to develop amnesia when it’s reaching for a point.

Also…check the news wire and the thread…a lot of smoke out there on Disneyland
Softening up too

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We like mixing up which month to visit WDW. Halloween, spring, art fest, Christmastime. Not June through Sept. Even if it means spending more. We’ve tried summer a few times over the years and the other visits were much more enjoyable.

Now we only plan Oct-May for WDW. Works well because there’s other destinations we prefer in summer anyway.
Did you tell
About 5,000,000 of your neighbors to do the same?

Also…they aren’t actually ever getting to Orlando.

Grimley1968

It’s hot everywhere not in the mountains, as it usually is in July. It’s also vacation season, just as it has been since 1971. I can remember going in summer when I was little in the 70’s because we had no choice. It was wall to wall people, almost frighteningly crowded and we’d be drenched in sweat. Fast forward to the 2000’s and 2010’s with our own kids and, again we had no choice sometimes but to go in summer if we couldn’t make it in October. Again, wall to wall people and heat. Now in the height of summer travel season, WDW looks like early December 1994 crowds.

The difference in crowds is not the weather. It’s the perceived lack of value for the cost for an increasing number of tourists who in the past would have gone to WDW, but now are deciding it’s not worth the trouble and that hanging out anywhere (name your tourist attraction or activity) more local gives them more for their money.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s hot everywhere not in the mountains, as it usually is in July. It’s also vacation season, just as it has been since 1971. I can remember going in summer when I was little in the 70’s because we had no choice. It was wall to wall people, almost frighteningly crowded and we’d be drenched in sweat. Fast forward to the 2000’s and 2010’s with our own kids and, again we had no choice sometimes but to go in summer if we couldn’t make it in October. Again, wall to wall people and heat. Now in the height of summer travel season, WDW looks like early December 1994 crowds.

The difference in crowds is not the weather. It’s the perceived lack of value for the cost for an increasing number of tourists who in the past would have gone to WDW, but now are deciding it’s not worth the trouble and that hanging out anywhere (name your tourist attraction or activity) more local gives them more for their money.

Memorial Day looked like 2002 to me…and then the restaurants and shops were not almost vacated as I observed now.

Best case scenario…it was no better than the bottom of the housing crash (2010)…and without a recession

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom