Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Willmark

Spend a week being pickpocketed daily by Disney, or spend a week with your toes in the sand and smelling the ocean from your rental for 1/4 of the price. And attendance is down and looking weak for the foreseeable future. What say you, TDO, why is attendance down at WDW? Is it too hot? Politics? Solar flares? An iceberg lost a chunk in the Arctic? Diseased monkeys dropped dead in a South American jungle?
Tough decision and one I’m pondering. Building off your thoughts.

Wife is the Disney fan, not me. She likes Disney, I like being on vacation… you get the point.

She wants to go back so we are looking at a trip for post Labor Day 2025 (we have our 2024 vacation coming up in two weeks.)

Problem I have is this:
Prior Disney was a poor value relative to cost. Now? It’s a downright pathetic ratio.

What am I getting now compared to my trip from say 2011? We went four more times from 2014 to 2018. And looked at as a whole?

It’s not an amusement park; it’s a themed one I’ve heard it said. The rides are mediocre, food and rooms ridiculously over priced. I never went as a kid and thus it holds no special hold over me.

So what am I getting that I didn’t get prior on a vacation let alone what they have removed?

Not much.
I could “almost” tolerate the costs if the perks and value were there, but when objectively looked at it?

Value is simply not there.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
ITA. I'm the space nut in my family, and I could spend far more than a single day there, but for everyone else in my family the beach is calling. I did get to see a Falcon Heavy launch (and the double booster return to land) from the soccer pitch viewing area next to the Visitors Center in January 2023. That was unbelievable.

Anyone else tear up during the Atlantis reveal?

…I can’t hold it…14 of the brightest 🥹

Disstevefan1

Wife is the Disney fan, not me. She likes Disney, I like being on vacation… you get the point.

She wants to go back so we are looking at a trip for post Labor Day 2025 (we have our 2024 vacation coming up in two weeks.)

Problem I have is this:
Prior Disney was a poor value relative to cost. Now? It’s a downright pathetic ratio.

What am I getting now compared to my trip from say 2011? We went four more times from 2014 to 2018. And looked at as a whole?

It’s not an amusement park; it’s a themed one I’ve heard it said. The rides are mediocre, food and rooms ridiculously over priced. I never went as a kid and it hold no special hold over me.

So what am I getting that I didn’t get prior on a vacation let alone what they have removed?

Not much.
I could “almost” tolerate the costs if the parks and value were there but when objectively looked at it?

Disney was always a poor value relative to cost and its getting worse.

That said, go to Disney because it makes your wife happy period.

Willmark

Disney was always a poor value relative to cost and its getting worse.

That said, go to Disney because it makes your wife happy period.
Oh I’m well aware.

In our 2011 trip it was the only one I felt we got our value out of it. Kids were 5 and 6 respectively, stayed at the values which they loved, character meet and greets were nearly all met, daughter did BBB. Etc.

Since then in 2014, 2015, 2017 and 2018 it was a case of declining value. Now it’s fallen off the cliff.

Grimley1968

Problem I have is this:

It’s not an amusement park; it’s a themed one I’ve heard it said. The rides are mediocre, food and rooms ridiculously over priced. I never went as a kid and thus it holds no special hold over me.

Not much.
I could “almost” tolerate the costs if the perks and value were there, but when objectively looked at it?

You can always drop your wife off at a park, and then drive an hour east and sit at the beach for a few hours. Drive back at park close, pick her up, and everyone has a good day. :)

Admittedly, though, in the past I'd have been the one to be dropped off at the park rather than going to the beach. Along with the other points overall about the decline in value, I'd rather stare at waves pounding the sand than stare at my phone trying to book a Lightning Lane or whatever iteration the ride rationing is now.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Oh I’m well aware.

In our 2011 trip it was the only one I felt we got our value out of it. Kids were 5 and 6 respectively, stayed at the values which they loved, character meet and greets were nearly all met, daughter did BBB. Etc.

Since then in 2014, 2015, 2017 and 2018 it was a case of declining value. Now it’s fallen off the cliff.
As a result of the pandemic, many companies have drastically raised their prices. Compare the price you paid in 2019 to today and you would be surprised. I am not making an excuse for Disney, its just an interesting thing to look at.

Lilofan

As a result of the pandemic, many companies have drastically raised their prices. Compare the price you paid in 2019 to today and you would be surprised. I am not making an excuse for Disney, its just an interesting thing to look at.
Higher costs all around to run a business and costs passed onto consumer. Staff wanting to get paid more and getting it? Look at increased pricing for products and services. Some companies looking to save on labor going automated in some aspects.

Willmark

There are a multitude of reasons, some of which when I post them here they get deleted… so (shrug? As in I won’t post them.)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

There are a multitude of reasons, some of which when I post them here they get deleted… so (shrug? As in I won’t post them.)

I’ll say it…because the lid was taken off price gouging and they lost control of it.

So a year of rather modest pay increases on the lower end were very quickly eclipsed by increases in the hundreds of percentages in many cases for both necessary and disposable costs.

Here Endeth the lesson.

We are in an era of slow boiling economic rage.

Last edited:

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I’ll say it…because the lid was taken off pride gouging and they lost control of it.

So a year of rather modest pay increases on the lower end were very quickly eclipsed by increases in the hundreds of percentages in many cases for both necessary and disposable costs.

Here Endeth the lesson.

We are in an era of slow boiling economic rage.
Price gouging too! 👀😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom