Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Defcon 3 or 4 had to be when we were there shortly after 9/11. At MGM , Fantasmic only performed a few nights a week and Prime Time was open on Tue Thu Sat and and Hollywood and Vine was open on Mon Wed Fri Sun as some of the cutbacks.
Fun fact, bud…things were slow long before September 2001

lentesta

Premium Member
What confuses me in this topic is I believe @lentesta says wait time are mostly accurate, but everyone who is posting here from the parks says otherwise. ( As has been my personal experience )

I’m tagging lentesta because I can be completely wrong, and don’t want to put words in his mouth.

Ah, thanks for the tag.

I don't think wait times are particularly accurate - you can't predict actual waits from them, for example, with anything close to the level of accuracy you'd need to believe them.

The problem is this: for every accurate posted wait time, and every posted wait time that's, you know, a fixed 125% of the actual wait, you get a posted wait that's 100% higher than the actual wait. For the same attraction on the same day.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ah, thanks for the tag.

I don't think wait times are particularly accurate - you can't predict actual waits from them, for example, with anything close to the level of accuracy you'd need to believe them.

The problem is this: for every accurate posted wait time, and every posted wait time that's, you know, a fixed 125% of the actual wait, you get a posted wait that's 100% higher than the actual wait. For the same attraction on the same day.
How are the wait times fed/posted now?

Is it still measured at the location or fed from the central computer programming?

Touchdown

Ah, thanks for the tag.

It’s been especially frustrating as of late that even us veterans couldn’t predict wait times by eyeballing the line. I’m hoping that with the DAS changes the LL stabilizes such that we can predict wait times again.

Lilofan

forgot to add -- CM's are blocked out of MK.

It's Friday, the holiday weekend starts tomorrow.

Everyone is at Springs for the drone show.
One of the free things to do. Free drone show and free parking. Then some standing in line for more than an hour to eat an average tasting $6 cookie at Gideons Bakeshop.

SamusAranX

All they have to do is give free FP+ or now ILL's and those rooms will be booked, even at higher prices..plenty of people would gladly pay more to stay on property if they were guaranteed rides each day
This would stress an already stressed capacity game of musical chairs. They crossed the rubicon, they can’t go back now.

Ayla

All they have to do is give free FP+ or now ILL's and those rooms will be booked, even at higher prices..plenty of people would gladly pay more to stay on property if they were guaranteed rides each day
There is no way WDW can do this. There is no where near enough capacity to give free Genie+ or ILL to all those deluxe rooms.

Disstevefan1

I just not get how anyone can say they can judge the wait time by looking at the queue length, no clue how Disney would be able to teach folks to get it correct. I say this for I do not know how one knows the queue configuration, number of switchbacks open, cemetery by pass open or closed at the HM. Sure Disney would know this, but could they train folks to know different markers based on floor space being used for the queue?

I think there is a LOT you are leaving in your evaluation.

IT was mentioned as well as GENI + sales. The data folks would have designed algorithms to estimate wait times. Those equation MIGHT assume a certain amount of LL usage w/o updating based on attendance, usage of time slots open/close to expiring and/or actual GENI+ sales. Let's say 10 minutes here/this is where I feel one can luck out against the posted time if LL use is lightly than predicated

There is a possibility that the consultants told them they could increase customer SAT scores by padding the time a bit and beating the expectation they offered you. I could see this being 5 to 10 minutes.

I know nothing about how Disney does things.

I guess it would fall as broken, but really it is how it is designed regardless of how one looks at it. My guess is their big data folks are not as able to wrangle the proper data points they need or they are not giving the budget/time to deliver the correct code/formulas/properly used statistics.
I get it, there are too many variables to correctly calculate wait times. The very bad thing is, Disney posts these wrong numbers and folks are making decisions based on them.

Ok, so the numbers are wrong for whatever reason. I have no data maybe @lentesta does, but can we assume the actual wait time is usually shorter than the posted wait time?

That historically has been my personal non scientific experience.

A happy “side effect” of this is that it may sell more Genie+ for Disney eve though that was NOT the intention at all😉

Drdcm

I get it, there are too many variables to correctly calculate wait times. The very bad thing is, Disney posts these wrong numbers and folks are making decisions based on them.

Ok, so the numbers are wrong for whatever reason. I have no data maybe @lentesta does, but can we assume the actual wait time is usually shorter than the posted wait time?

That historically has been my personal non scientific experience.

A happy “side effect” of this is that it may sell more Genie+ for Disney eve though that was NOT the intention at all😉
Honestly, I always assumed they overestimated so people don’t freak out when it takes longer. That seemed to happen even before G+. I really think there would have been a leak by now if someone was directed to fake wait times

James Alucobond

The very bad thing is, Disney posts these wrong numbers and folks are making decisions based on them.
They are clearly attempting to right the ship on accuracy by limiting unknowable factors. But the alternative at the moment is just that everyone stands in the line blind, which is exponentially worse than something being wrong by plus or minus 20 minutes.

Poseidon Quest

Honestly, I always assumed they overestimated so people don’t freak out when it takes longer. That seemed to happen even before G+. I really think there would have been a leak by now if someone was directed to fake wait times

I think that Genie+ drops just make the waits unpredictable. I went into Dinosaur yesterday and it was posted at a 35, but only waited around 10. It would have been 5 if a wave of LL hadn't showed up all at once. Not that I'm complaining about a short wait, but I see how Genie+ creates a lot of uncertainly with its hour return window as opposed to the 15 minute window of Fastpass+

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom