Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Disstevefan1

They are clearly attempting to right the ship on accuracy by limiting unknowable factors. But the alternative at the moment is just that everyone stands in the line blind, which is exponentially worse than something being wrong by plus or minus 20 minutes.
Posted waits do seem to be wrong mostly plus and not minus which I am sure is not intentionally at all but does accidentally serve to make the guest feel better as they waited less time in line and also the unintended, accidental, coincidental side effect to possibly entice guests to buy Genie+😉

peter11435

Posted waits do seem to be wrong mostly plus and not minus which I am sure is not intentionally at all but does accidentally serve to make the guest feel better as they waited less time in line and also the unintended, accidental, coincidental side effect to possibly entice guests to buy Genie+😉
If you think about it with a little less cynicism you should be able to understand why they are more likely to be over inflated than under inflated.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

I believe it's CMs eyeballing the line.
This is sad but I guess we can all agree there are too many variables and there is no magic formula to calculate the standby time.

If I were eyeballing the wait time to post it, I would for sure over estimate so the guest waits less time in line making them feel better about their decision to get in line.

Hey, what do you know, that may just entice someone to buy Genie+, accidentally of course😉

Disstevefan1

If you think about it with a little less cynicism you should be able to understand why they are more likely do be over inflated than under inflated.
Exactly what I said in my post, it makes guests feel better they waited less time in line than was posted. Higher wait times may scare off folks who don’t know, therefore there are less folks in the queue which also helps the guest.

Then there’s the outside possibility to entice guests to possibly buy Genie+ which is of course purely coincidental😉

peter11435

Exactly what I said in my post, it makes guests feel better they waited less time in line than was posted. Higher wait times may scare off folks who don’t know, therefore there are less folks in the queue which also helps the guest.

Then there’s the outside possibility to entice guests to possibly buy Genie+ which is of course purely coincidental😉
Nope. All three of your reasons here are wrong.

lentesta

Premium Member
If you think about it with a little less cynicism you should be able to understand why they are more likely to be over inflated than under inflated.

I mean, I study these lines for a living. My default assumption is that they're wrong because there's no revenue for Disney to gain by increasing the accuracy of posted wait times.

I don't think the reason is "Guests are happy when a posted wait of X ends up being Y."

That policy prevents guests from exercising their own judgement to decide the best use of their time. It's an incredibly patronizing example of "we know what's best for you so don't ask questions."

Here's an example from Slinky Dog last week.

As the day drew to a close, Slinky Dog's posted wait was 70 minutes at 8:15 pm. It had been at 70 minutes for about half an hour.

Twenty-two minutes later we timed an actual wait of 13 minutes. And we got actuals of 10 and 14 in rapid succession within a few minutes of that.

It's almost impossible to get a 57-minute reduction in actual waits in just 22 minutes of clock time. I'm sure I could come up with a scenario where literally nobody got in line, wheelchairs caused an extended delay, extra trains were added to the track, etc. But that almost certainly didn't happen here, and I think we all know that.

Screenshot 2024-05-25 at 2.40.24 PM.png

To spell out the problem with "Posted of X ends up being Y", where Y < X, there are tons of people who would've got in a 10- to 20-minute line at Slinky, if they had been given accurate information about their wait. But they skipped riding because they didn't think it was worth 70 minutes. So they missed out on an enjoyable experience because of bad information.

Sorry for the long post. What do you think the reason is?

Nubs70

If the times were accurate but not precise, as mentioned prior, their should be an equal amount of measurements that are greater and lower than the actual wait.

It would be rather simple to measure with optical switches at entry and exit of queues.

Entry - exit = # persons

Ride vehicles have a # of seats. Optical/positional switches are already in place. This can derive the # of seats per minute passing by, or seat per minute.

Wait Time = [Entry - Exit]/ Seats per minute.

When a money making entity has a perverse incentive to manipulate data to their financial benefit and a simple transparent solution exists, I will.side.with the consumer every time.

peter11435

Entry - exit = # persons

Ride vehicles have a # of seats. Optical/positional switches are already in place. This can derive the # of seats per minute passing by, or seat per minute.

Wait Time = [Entry - Exit]/ Seats per minute.
It’s not that simple. There are many variables you are overlooking

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom