Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Andrew25

False representations to induce someone to buy something?

In some places this is called fraud.

Yes... but it's magical fraud.

I can understand the need to increase wait times to create a "buffer" for downtime, but posting an hour wait when they know the ride is a walk-on is an atrocious policy.

... and it's not the CMs fault, they are being told to keep wait-times within a certain range no matter the actual wait.

el_super

That's why I said it appears busy, they are making the parks look artificially busy by pumping standby waits so the family from Denver is guilted into purchasing Genie.

Wouldn't it figure that people are purchasing Genie add-ons prior to having any interaction or knowledge of wait times in the park? The justification for purchasing Genie seems to be generated by FOMO and historical knowledge of Fastpass+. That's only ever going to be resolved by continuing to increase the Genie+ charge per day, which Disney seems less inclined to do.

Andrew25

Wouldn't it figure that people are purchasing Genie add-ons prior to having any interaction or knowledge of wait times in the park? The justification for purchasing Genie seems to be generated by FOMO and historical knowledge of Fastpass+. That's only ever going to be resolved by continuing to increase the Genie+ charge per day, which Disney seems less inclined to do.
Yup - FOMO is the main driver behind Genie

The family from Denver staying offsite is probably worried about their trip to DAK tomorrow because they don't have early entry to the parks, which according to the app - they'll have to wait 95 for Safaris, 75 for Flight, 70 for Na'Vi, that's 4 hours of waiting in line for 3 attractions.

These waits are obviously exaggerated, but the once-in-a-lifetime family doesn't know that. To me, it sounds like taking advantage over the guests consumer.

Lilofan

Yes... but it's magical fraud.

I can understand the need to increase wait times to create a "buffer" for downtime, but posting an hour wait when they know the ride is a walk-on is an atrocious policy.

... and it's not the CMs fault, they are being told to keep wait-times within a certain range no matter the actual wait.
A number of times years ago park at DHS posting opening time at 9am. A few times the cast let us in at 830am. Brought smiles to our faces! Then we ran to the attractions to grab the fast passes before they ran out. Those were good times.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's why I said it appears busy, they are making the parks look artificially busy by pumping standby waits so the family from Denver is guilted into purchasing Genie.

Over the last few weeks, my visits to the park have included:
  • Rise of the Resistance posted at 60, the actual was 15
  • Flight of Passage posted at 70, actual 15
  • Na'Vi posted at 55, actual was a walk on
  • Dinosaur posted at 35, actual walk on
  • Soarin' posted at 25, walk on
That will get snooped out/show up as negative feedback on the web before too long. Can’t keep a lid on that for long
Probably…because the urge…and a million travel agents and sites…compel people to buy it at midnight or 6:55 am…

The thing that would be interesting to know is how many sales are on the 2,3,4, etc days of a trip?

Andrew25

A number of times years ago park at DHS posting opening time at 9am. A few times the cast let us in at 830am. Brought smiles to our faces! Then we ran to the attractions to grab the fast passes before they ran out. Those were good times.
My comments are not promoting the original Fastpass system. I think it only provided an advantage for those, like me, that knew how to use it.

I've been a champion of a limited premium "Express" offering that is priced at a ridiculous cost to drive down the number of guests who use it, while simultaneously increasing attraction capacity. Ideally, a better version of Tapu Tapu would be the gold standard for modern day guest experience, but they just care about the bottom line.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just to make sure I watched one of those live stream recording blogger people yesterday on YouTube in fast forward.

Parks are empty.
Yeah…they used to have a livestream…I think from magic kingdom??

What I’m noticing…including on the board…is just how empty the concourses are.
That’s the best, simplest way to gauge overall crowd levels. The “great equalizer”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My comments are not promoting the original Fastpass system. I think it only provided an advantage for those, like me, that knew how to use it.

I've been a champion of a limited premium "Express" offering that is priced at a ridiculous cost to drive down the number of guests who use it, while simultaneously increasing attraction capacity. Ideally, a better version of Tapu Tapu would be the gold standard for modern day guest experience, but they just care about the bottom line.
I don’t think that works at Disney parks…

They want the illusion everyone is “equal”…just at maximum possible fees.
If it becomes “princes and paupers”…those who are still paying a ton and end up on the wrong perceived side of that paradigm will NEVER return again…and that does them no good.

I’ll repeat for the 10,000th time: the walt Disney company does NOT want fewer people in its parks. Not yesterday, today or tomorrow.

Andrew25

If it becomes “princes and paupers”…those who are still paying a ton and end up on the wrong perceived side of that paradigm will NEVER return again…and that does them no good.
That train left the station years ago...

I’ll repeat for the 10,000th time: the walt Disney company does NOT want fewer people in its parks. Not yesterday, today or tomorrow.
That's the mindset they've been working with over the past few years... it was the wrong one, and they are just starting to learn it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That train left the station years ago...
Afterhours and dvc can be spun much easier than the ticket surcharge known a “genie +”
That's the mindset they've been working with over the past few years... it was the wrong one, and they are just starting to learn it.
That’s what they’ve been SAYING. But it was never realistic. That was just a shield as they jacked prices. People lead to believe they were “getting something” out of it…a shell game.

Tha Realest

I view it as spin to Wall Street for why they’ve plateaued in terms of annual visitors and have to figure out ways to maximize profits from those visiting.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I view it as spin to Wall Street for why they’ve plateaued in terms of annual visitors and have to figure out ways to maximize profits from those visiting.
Oh absolutely.
They flattened in 2015 and 2016 after years of aggressive hikes

Iger said “we’re luxury now”…
Praetorians bought it before they even had enough time to pump the blood/oxygen to their brain to question it.

Dumb from the jump.

Jrb1979

With them adding more hotels as good neighbor ones for early entry, it's even more telling that attendance forecasts to be down for awhile

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
With them adding more hotels as good neighbor ones for early entry, it's even more telling that attendance forecasts to be down for awhile
Everything they’ve done since April says the same thing…and I heard through trusted travel people dating to the late fall/holidays that it was coming. Disney dug in their heels…privately behind the scenes…and insisted that crowds that were not booking would show up…because Bob insisted he figured it out and discounts would never be needed again.

We should all be aware of who we buy fromd

Those APs sell out yet??

DisneyFanatic12

While I do dabble in pixie dust, I was at Disney nearly 3 times a week last summer. I’m going in 4 days. I’ll let you know how “crowded” I feel it is. Last summer was “super crowded”
I went to Epcot yesterday… longest wait was Test Track at 45 minutes. It was more like 20. Remy had a posted 30 minute wait but was more like 10. Soarin’ was a walk on as usual.

Can’t speak for the other parks, because I haven’t visited the others in a while, but Epcot was empty last night. You could take a photo in almost any country and have no one in your frame.

DisneyFanatic12

Everything they’ve done since April says the same thing…and I heard through trusted travel people dating to the late fall/holidays that it was coming. Disney dug in their heels…privately behind the scenes…and insisted that crowds that were not booking would show up…because Bob insisted he figured it out and discounts would never be needed again.

We should all be aware of who we buy fromd

Those APs sell out yet??
To be fair, Universal is having attendance issues as well… Disney was just overcrowded before, but all Orlando parks, and I think the whole tourism industry, is slowing down.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom