Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

LSLS

The problem is the average attendance is 25% more than when Bob took over…not because the product is great…it’s just the naturally increase in population and travel rates…

But they decided that limiting supply was a better strategy than trying to have the space to fill and then getting the people there to fill it. Which is 100% the opposite of the Eisner strategy.

The problems now are the obvious results of a philosophical shift.
Oh I don't disagree that is a larger issue. Which leads to what would be another fun comparison. A graph of the number of attractions vs attendance since Bob took over. Probably would be a very ugly line (at least for fans).

wannabeBelle

It will be interesting to see if there is any change in this approach after EU opens. Or will Disney just take a non-comital approach and just do incremental improvements? All the blue sky stuff at this point is just a "hey look at me" fluff. I don't see any drive within the company right now to do anything big.
In a conversation I was having with someone, the idea was floated that no new plans are being done right now to see which way the whole CFTOD mess lands, as this can affect permits being obtained. In answer to why nothing new was done previously, the blame was laid squarely on Chapek. Thoughts?? Marie

monothingie

Too bad, sugar puff. We could have been something.
Premium Member
In a conversation I was having with someone, the idea was floated that no new plans are being done right now to see which way the whole CFTOD mess lands, as this can affect permits being obtained. In answer to why nothing new was done previously, the blame was laid squarely on Chapek. Thoughts?? Marie
I don't think they have the money Marie. $60 or $70B sounds big, but over 10 years divided amongst all the parks and experiences entities doesn't give you a lot to work with in the end.

wannabeBelle

I don't think they have the money Marie. $60 or $70B sounds big, but over 10 years divided amongst all the parks and experiences entities doesn't give you a lot to work with in the end.
I agree, I was of the opposite opinion on this. I think that new entertainments in the short term and new attractions (rides) in the long term are needed and as soon as possible. I have watched at least part of the last two presentations and was really disappointed in both, thanks Josh. Entertainment is a quick and easy filler for the time being and can be done REALLY quickly with a few phone calls. Attractions might be slightly more complicated but I dont believe that they are simply waiting for the CFTOD issue to be resolved one way or the other. Marie

monothingie

Premium Member
I agree, I was of the opposite opinion on this. I think that new entertainments in the short term and new attractions (rides) in the long term are needed and as soon as possible. I have watched at least part of the last two presentations and was really disappointed in both, thanks Josh. Entertainment is a quick and easy filler for the time being and can be done REALLY quickly with a few phone calls. Attractions might be slightly more complicated but I dont believe that they are simply waiting for the CFTOD issue to be resolved one way or the other. Marie
Their focus is/has been on DCL and the Chinese Parks. Domestic parks seemingly get the scraps.

If it were brand fatigue or other reasons as ascribed to the domestic parks recent downturn, DCL would also be floundering. But for the time being people are more than eager to pay extra for DCL. It's also not a coincidence that DCL is still where you get a top notch guest experience as compared to other Disney leisure options.

Maybe that will reach a tipping point and people will discover you can get better and cheaper with Royal or Celebrity, but that hasn't happened yet.

Disstevefan1

I think that new entertainments in the short term and new attractions (rides) in the long term are needed and as soon as possible.
I agree with this, but there is NO INCENTIVE for Disney to do this. At this point in time, with the rise of EPIC, I really think Disney will now wait it out to see what happens and only react if needed.

Last edited:

monothingie

Premium Member
I would love to subscribe to the theory that they are running attractions at less than full to sell more G+ but I don't know how they would pull that off. I think it would be noticeable on most rides.
The thought is that they are manipulating the mix of G+/ILL to Standby admittances at the queue merge points to ensure that standby wait times are at a high enough time to push guests into purchasing paid options like G+ and ILL.

Is it just some anecdotal accounts on what would be slow days every year? My gut tells me it could be a semi-significant trend/change.

Anybody feel any nervousness on the Mouse’s side?
I mean like i said. The announcement of EU ( epic universe ) is really doing a toll. I think people are starting to save money and not spend. Not spending = not Disney. With this we see a trend of less passes being bought and tickets at a low. They are scrambling to counteract (pushing Tianna ride) and so we have what we have. We need to steer the ship right and not go left. Universal studios is something to monitor.

Basil of Baker Street

The thought is that they are manipulating the mix of G+/ILL to Standby admittances at the queue merge points to ensure that standby wait times are at a high enough time to push guests into purchasing paid options like G+ and ILL.
Ah. That makes sense. I was thinking along the lines of running less boats for JC or slowing down omnimovers etc.

monothingie

Premium Member
Ah. That makes sense. I was thinking along the lines of running less boats for JC or slowing down omnimovers etc.
I do think that that occurs at times with rides capable of that such as the JC or Space Mountain, but that is more in response to projected crowd levels via the reservation system to have an the right staffing levels to minimize operational costs.

I think I'm going to go sit downstairs in my Disney room and let the dog play outside, and think about the good old days of Disney :)

I fear that is not enough. There must be something we could do or solutionize for them to give them clarity on what we want. Less of the past and more of the future. Remodeling of treehouses and more light speed rides. I think the future is 3d and the goggles but who knows. Just not me tho. Hate Spider-Man ride at US and what EU has to come. I say EW.

Disstevefan1

I fear that is not enough. There must be something we could do or solutionize for them to give them clarity on what we want. Less of the past and more of the future. Remodeling of treehouses and more light speed rides. I think the future is 3d and the goggles but who knows. Just not me tho. Hate Spider-Man ride at US and what EU has to come. I say EW.
I do not disagree with your points, but the only (possible) way to get Disney to change their ways for us as consumers is to totally STOP giving them our money.

There are no enough people who will stop giving money to Disney to force them to change their ways.

I do not disagree with your points, but the only (possible) way to get Disney to change their ways for us as consumers is to totally STOP giving them our money.

There are no enough people who will stop giving money to Disney to force them to change their ways.

Correct Steve. But monetary is not enough I’m afraid. What solutions could we come up outside of that realm? Does the answer lie there or are they lying about the answer.

Also do we think the beyond the mountain stuff will directly impact sales in negative amounts. EU has to be shaking if beyond is more than we are thinking. If it’s another park, key word, park, then i think we are having another discussion. Again all fair points you made but i think directed.

wannabeBelle

Correct Steve. But monetary is not enough I’m afraid. What solutions could we come up outside of that realm? Does the answer lie there or are they lying about the answer.

Also do we think the beyond the mountain stuff will directly impact sales in negative amounts. EU has to be shaking if beyond is more than we are thinking. If it’s another park, key word, park, then i think we are having another discussion. Again all fair points you made but i think directed.
Many ideas have been thrown around on these forums and so many great ideas have been discussed here. I dont believe it is a question of not having creative thinkers at WDI or a lack of areas for inspiration. I think that the corporate will to implement change is what is missing. Marie

MR.Dis

Many ideas have been thrown around on these forums and so many great ideas have been discussed here. I dont believe it is a question of not having creative thinkers at WDI or a lack of areas for inspiration. I think that the corporate will to implement change is what is missing. Marie
You are on to something. It is not just wanting clarification with the district. There a 2 incredibly large igo's involved. Bob and Ron just do not get along. So, in my opinion nothing is going to be done at WDW until one leaves office due to term limits and the other leaves office due to the need for fresh leadership. Sad, as it is those of us who really love going to WDW that suffer the most.

Drdcm

I feel like a cast member would let the cat out of the bag if that were to be the case though… even if it was anonymously through a forum just like this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom