Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

DisneyCane

Here is the thing that "small businesses" have to come to grips with - if you can't afford to pay a half-way decent wage to employees, maybe your business is the problem - not the employees.

I've seen this so often lately, and so many small business owners crying about it - and if your business isn't successful enough or doesn't make enough money to properly pay the people required to keep it running, then you need to take a hard look at the business itself.

If your margins are so low that paying an extra $200/week for an employee five years from now seems outrageous, then you might not be in the right business, or there is something fundamentally wrong with how its run.
It seems you've never owned a business that has employees. If you want to attract and retain good employees, you will need to pay more than minimum wage except for some low skill, entry level positions. When minimum wage goes up, so do all other wages you need to pay.

If you want to maintain a similar profit level, you will need to raise prices to cover the increased payroll expense. With inflation abound, if you want to maintain similar profit in real money terms you have to raise prices even further.

At some point expensive automation starts to cost less than employees and businesses will switch to technology over humans as soon as the equation hits the tipping point.

It will take away from the experience, but AI based ride operators and machine based loading for rides can be done even now. Currently it is significantly more expensive than hiring CMs to do it. Eventually there will be a choice between guest experience and payroll control.

Tony the Tigger

I'm surprised some of you work so hard to defend WDW food and the prices. How much does a slice of bad Pizza cost at WDW?
You lost me at “pizza” when you’re talking about quality food.

If you’re eating QS, of course it’s overpriced. Enjoy your meh burgers and chicken nuggets.

Chain restaurants do not come close to Disney’s Signature dining. Will they still cost more than a fancy restaurant in your town? Sure, but you can’t see Disney fireworks out the window, or walk out the door and into World Showcase.

You can’t judge the food by their junk food, IMO.

Disstevefan1

It seems you've never owned a business that has employees. If you want to attract and retain good employees, you will need to pay more than minimum wage except for some low skill, entry level positions. When minimum wage goes up, so do all other wages you need to pay.

If you want to maintain a similar profit level, you will need to raise prices to cover the increased payroll expense. With inflation abound, if you want to maintain similar profit in real money terms you have to raise prices even further.

At some point expensive automation starts to cost less than employees and businesses will switch to technology over humans as soon as the equation hits the tipping point.

It will take away from the experience, but AI based ride operators and machine based loading for rides can be done even now. Currently it is significantly more expensive than hiring CMs to do it. Eventually there will be a choice between guest experience and payroll control.
Life will indeed imitate art.

AI will absolutely lead to the destruction of human kind just like in the movies.

Splash4eva

Some may blame Iger for making too much money but Iger doesn't write a blank check to get paid. His compensation to include salary , bonuses and perks are drawn up by the Board.
I dont blame Iger or any CEO making all the money they can… its a free market and the market usually dictates salary.

Lilofan

I dont blame Iger or any CEO making all the money they can… its a free market and the market usually dictates salary.
True, Apple worth $3 trillion, their CEO Tim Cook in 2021 made $850M in salary bonuses and options , but only made $40M in 2022 but no McMansion for him, he lives in a condo near his work.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Picked this up in a visit to the book store today 🤓

Attachments

• 2C56092F-0407-4418-A770-3E3204862BC2.jpeg
    2C56092F-0407-4418-A770-3E3204862BC2.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 104

AEfx

Thanks for the middle-school business lesson - yes, well aware.

But the point you are missing is that if you can't afford to pay employees a decent wage while the owner maintains a "similar profit", then "small businesses" may need to change how it does business if it's not profitable enough to really justify existing without paying people garbage.

People just aren't settling for "better than nothing" any more, or falling for the "family owned business, so take less for the greater good" nonsense. Because ultimately, they end up broke while the owners buy their new cars and go on fancy vacations on the backs of the people responsible for keeping their business running.

Just because someone owns a business doesn't mean they are very good at it, or have chosen the right business model.

Trauma

Here is the thing that "small businesses" have to come to grips with - if you can't afford to pay a half-way decent wage to employees, maybe your business is the problem - not the employees.

I've seen this so often lately, and so many small business owners crying about it - and if your business isn't successful enough or doesn't make enough money to properly pay the people required to keep it running, then you need to take a hard look at the business itself.

If your margins are so low that paying an extra $200/week for an employee five years from now seems outrageous, then you might not be in the right business, or there is something fundamentally wrong with how its run.
Sounds like you have it all figured out.

You must have a very impressive portfolio of small businesses that you have grown!

I am always looking to expand my reach and I would be interested if your looking to make a shift.

Have your legal team send over the NDA so I can see the financials and discuss terms.

Disorbust

Wdw raised their prices to mitigate their losses from Covid, wage increase had little to do with it. They pushed the limit and know it’s biting them from both sides; decreased demand and have maxed out on price. It is elastic

Minnesota disney fan

Real ID's can not be used for international travel, including Mexico and Canada. You need a passport or a passport card if crossing by car.

Oops, Ayla. I wrote the wrong thing apparently. A senior moment?
I have a real ID too, but for traveling I have a Passport Card. It can only be used for travel to Canada and Mexico. If we travel to other countries, then we would have to get another passport for that. We would only travel to Canada so that works for us. Sorry for the confusion..

Grimley1968

Oops, Ayla. I wrote the wrong thing apparently. A senior moment?
I have a real ID too, but for traveling I have a Passport Card. It can only be used for travel to Canada and Mexico. If we travel to other countries, then we would have to get another passport for that. We would only travel to Canada so that works for us. Sorry for the confusion..

It probably doesn't matter anyway. The Real ID is probably already obsolete in terms of security. The name for the next ID standard may be Super Duper Extreme Really Real ID. ;)

AEfx

It probably doesn't matter anyway. The Real ID is probably already obsolete in terms of security. The name for the next ID standard may be Super Duper Extreme Really Real ID. ;)
Which we probably won't need, since our traveling days will be over and we will all be in the nursing home by then - given it's taken 20 years for them to fully implement this one and it's still not done, LOL.

Miss Bella

No way! When Universal offers nice discounts it’s because they are a great company who really loves their customers. When Disney does it, it’s because they are a terrible, failing company who hates their customers. And don’t even try to argue with me on this because I know it’s true, as I have read it on this very forum countless times.
No company does it to be nice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom