Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Marionnette

Where did you eat gas station quality pizza in WDW? Maybe a quick serve place in MK? Even then that seems a bit harsh.
PizzeRizzo. Boardwalk pizza window. Both equally bad.

The only decent pizza was at Via Napoli during a Beer vs Wine demonstration. They actually imported the flour from Italy and brought water in from Pennsylvania to make the crust. There's something about the mineral content of the water that makes the pizza and rolls so good in the Philly region.

Lilofan

You probably still have me on ignore from the COVID thread disagreements a couple of years ago but I just wanted to highlight your outstanding post. People don't understand how much the minimum wage increases increase costs for businesses. I maintain the website of a local Italian Restaurant/Pizzaria and the owner does everything he can to keep his prices as low as possible. He feels guilty when he has to raise prices. He commented to me about this exact issue, rhetorically asking, "what am I supposed to do when minimum wage goes up to $15?" To attract and retain good employees, he pays over minimum wage but continuing to pay the same percentage above minimum wage is going to drastically increase his cost.

Thank you for providing a business owner's perspective on the wage increases. I am lucky in my business that all of the employees are also owners. The scrolling on phones at work thing is a huge annoyance when I patronize a business. I even saw a WDW CM check a phone last week (they were positioned in the RotR queue so although it could have been related to the operation, I doubt it).
In regards to cast fighting for $20 per hour to start in an entry level jobs at WDW which some require no experience , and they will receive there are more stressful jobs that are underpaid. The recent walk outs of Walgreens staff had one Walgreens pharmacy tech in PA walk off the job currently making $18 per hour after 39 years on the job.

Lilofan

PizzeRizzo. Boardwalk pizza window. Both equally bad.

The only decent pizza was at Via Napoli during a Beer vs Wine demonstration. They actually imported the flour from Italy and brought water in from Pennsylvania to make the crust. There's something about the mineral content of the water that makes the pizza and rolls so good in the Philly region.
Haven’t visited but Eddie & Sam’s Pizza in Tampa imports their water from NY to replicate NYC style pizza.

Chi84

Premium Member
I'm surprised some of you work so hard to defend WDW food and the prices. How much does a slice of bad Pizza cost at WDW? Judging from your screen name you're in Chicago and I'm sure you know what good pizza tastes like. Some of the gas stations out here have some edible quick-service pizza for cheap. Certainly as good as quick service at MK. I'm also wondering where on the WDW property you'd even get good pizza. Via Napoli?

I'm not trying to knock WDW. Theme park food is what it is, but if someone tries to say the prices are on par with quick service or restaurants outside of WDW I just have to disagree. I live in a town with some really good small business restaurants and price and quality far exceed WDW... even the chain restaurants are superior.
I'm not sure my post can be characterized as "working hard." We had very good pizza at Primo Piatto at the Riviera resort and Via Napoli (that was a few years ago). I still think saying gas station pizza is better is a bit harsh, although I probably shouldn't weigh in on that because I've never eaten any.

With all the food choices and restaurants on property, we really don't eat pizza very often. Those two times we had kids with us. We had an excellent shrimp and arugula flatbread at Pizzafari that is no longer offered, but I doubt most kids would like it.

I'm kind of mystified by what good it does comparing the prices and offerings in small towns and WDW though. All due respect, but small towns don't have WDW-level entertainment.

This is an attendance thread. I seriously doubt the food quality is what is keeping people away. It's more the ever-increasing ticket prices and the ridiculously expensive mess that is Genie+.

Miss Bella

Well, once again you are totally changing the topic. Sorry, but you don’t get to tell me what I was talking about. The one and only thing I was discussing is the fact that there are dining prices in many places around this country that are just as high as WDW. Despite that being a fact, you told me that I was wrong. When I pointed out that it is you who is actually wrong you started changing the topic and talking about quality of food. I never once said that the food at WDW is or is not worth the prices that are being charged. Again, I simply stated that the prices at WDW are no higher than they are in a lot of other places. You have changed the subject from the very particular point I was making. Try to stay on topic if you want to respond to someone and start a debate with
No one is forcing you to respond to my post?

Miss Bella

I'm not sure my post can be characterized as "working hard." We had very good pizza at Primo Piatto at the Riviera resort and Via Napoli (that was a few years ago). I still think saying gas station pizza is better is a bit harsh, although I probably shouldn't weigh in on that because I've never eaten any.

With all the food choices and restaurants on property, we really don't eat pizza very often. Those two times we had kids with us. We had an excellent shrimp and arugula flatbread at Pizzafari that is no longer offered, but I doubt most kids would like it.

I'm kind of mystified by what good it does comparing the prices and offerings in small towns and WDW though. All due respect, but small towns don't have WDW-level entertainment.

This is an attendance thread. I seriously doubt the food quality is what is keeping people away. It's more the ever-increasing ticket prices and the ridiculously expensive mess that is Genie+.
I think food costs, lack of affordable dining plans is a factor for families. It’s a factor just in day to day life right now. It’s just one more thing keeping families a way. For a family like us with 4 adults it’s a huge expense to eat at WDW. Then add in everything else. I’ll take a pass. There are better quality vacations for less money we can take.
I don’t live in a small town. I’m not sure why you assume that.

Last edited:

LSLS

Raising minimum wages & starting per hour wages have their draw backs as well… someone had to eat this cost because we all kinda knew Disney and other companies were not going to completely….

It does, but the problem tends to be if the cost of the raises is a rise in prices of 2%, they raise the price by 10%.

AEfx

This is especially true for small businesses. Minimum wage is going from $10 to $15 an hour over 5 years in Florida. If I told you my rent was going up by 50% over 5 years, people would say unkind things about my landlord, and rightfully so. But payroll going up like that is awesome or something, and money grows on trees. We can’t even compensate by raising prices much, because prices have already gone up so much on their own.

Here is the thing that "small businesses" have to come to grips with - if you can't afford to pay a half-way decent wage to employees, maybe your business is the problem - not the employees.

I've seen this so often lately, and so many small business owners crying about it - and if your business isn't successful enough or doesn't make enough money to properly pay the people required to keep it running, then you need to take a hard look at the business itself.

If your margins are so low that paying an extra $200/week for an employee five years from now seems outrageous, then you might not be in the right business, or there is something fundamentally wrong with how its run.

Lilofan

Using your logic of 220k employees which is accurate. People complaining Iger makes too much money or any CEO. Go ahead and do the math if he made Zero which is obviously unrealistic. Tell me how much more does an employee make…
Some may blame Iger for making too much money but Iger doesn't write a blank check to get paid. His compensation to include salary , bonuses and perks are drawn up by the Board.

Lilofan

Man, I miss the days when minimum wage was stagnant and Disney prices didn't increase accordingly.

Oh wait.
Oh yea that was the time in 1992 when I flew United from NYC to Orlando round trip non stop for the expensive price of $200. Last month the same route non stop round trip was $200.

Disstevefan1

Some may blame Iger for making too much money but Iger doesn't write a blank check to get paid. His compensation to include salary , bonuses and perks are drawn up by the Board.
I wouldn’t blame Iger for making too much money.

I will blame Iger for many poor business decisions, lack of leadership and destroying the company’s stock value.

The blame for these things must go to the top.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom