Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

celluloid

In some states like mine (Kentucky), our licenses were deemed insecure enough that we had a deadline to switch everyone's IDs to Real ID just to be able to get a passport, or even enter federal buildings. I went ahead and made the switch, but still haven't renewed my expired passport. I like that I was able to switch the expirations from every 4 years to every 8 years. Getting together the required paperwork to get the Real ID wasn't that bad.

The real ID were extended in most states until May of 2025. Kentucky included. Old IDs would work until then.

Grimley1968

The real ID were extended in most states until May of 2025. Kentucky included. Old IDs would work until then.

I got mine sometime in 2020, about 8 months before the then-deadline, in preparation for renewing my passport. The pandemic put both the deadline and my ideas of international travel off for a few years.

Also, I did it out of sheer boredom. The weeks of sitting at home left me with nothing better to do. Just had to wait a few months for the licensing office to reopen.

wannabeBelle

So related content....Not terribly long ago Celebrity Cruises had a webinar for the President of the line, Laura Hodges Bethge. One of the questions suggestions/ complaints was that the quality and diversity of the food selections had declined. So Laura and her team reviewed that information and "undercover" went on board with 19 others on her Executive team and they were all given a schedule of activities to do from excursions, to shipboard activities to dining, to do each day. As the food thing was such a big issue a lot of time was spent in the Main Dining room, and after exepriencing a cruise the way a regular guest would in terms of what was being offered, she agreed and they are making several changes to the menus to start taking effect after Thanksgiving. More choices, more variety, the "classics" menu being reistated as it's own thing again and not mixed in with the daily offerings and as she put it "Most important a chocolate offering will be available each night for dessert!!!" I was impressed that she had taken the comments so seriously that she implemented a trip for the executive team to check it out, and agreed with the comments and made changes starting with the supply chain folks to implement more of a variety for the dining options onboard their fleet. Obviously this does take some time to roll out but the fact that it is coming and a follow up broadcast was done to advise the guests of what their future plans are for that speaks volumes. Marie

JD80

That's crazy. Compare that to Canadians who are at 70%.

We are staying for 5 nights Nov. 26 - Nov 30 in a one bedroom at SSR. For two adults, one child, and an infant we are all in for right at $6,000 which includes a $1,000 dining card and 6 day park hoppers as we’ll go to MK the day of departure to wear the kids out before getting in the car.

For a weeks vacation in a one bedroom condo, tickets, and food I really don’t feel like it’s an awful deal. That’s right at $300/day per person for lodging, tickets, and dining which seams reasonable to me. Sure it’s more than it used to be but I’m really confused on how people in a normal hotel room with a family of four come anywhere close to spending $12,000 - $15,000.
That's actually a pretty good deal. Just wait until your kids are disney adults and all your kids need tickets.

Enjoy your bubble of cheap dusney vacations while you can.

Jrb1979

That's actually a pretty good deal. Just wait until your kids are disney adults and all your kids need tickets.

Enjoy your bubble of cheap dusney vacations while you can.
For people in Canada it already is more expensive due to the exchange rate. $300 a night for you is $420 a night for us.

As far as kids goes, I have found at least in my family they lose interest in Disney parks once they become teens. My sisters kids are into thrill parks. Same goes for a lot of their friends

TheMaxRebo

For people in Canada it already is more expensive due to the exchange rate. $300 a night for you is $420 a night for us.

As far as kids goes, I have found at least in my family they lose interest in Disney parks once they become teens. My sisters kids are into thrill parks. Same goes for a lot of their friends

seems to depend on the kid - I think as teens they either fall away and want to do other things or they get more into it

My teen is more into Disney (especially the parks) now then when she was younger ... she just feels more comfortable there and is more outgoing, etc. Other vacations she will often stay back in the room, etc. but Disney she is like the most into things of our kids

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Stop blaming the wages of those on the lower end of the wage scale for price increases and start blaming corporate greed.
If employees want more money from their employer, the employer isn’t just going to say sorry and eat the difference, it’s passed onto the consumer so they keep their shareholders happy. That’s how it works. When there is an uprising for more pay, “we” all pay, not them

‘merica

TheMaxRebo

If employees want more money from their employer, the employer isn’t just going to say sorry and eat the difference, it’s passed onto the consumer so they keep their shareholders happy. That’s how it works. When there is an uprising for more pay, “we” all pay, not them

‘merica

I mean, they could, or they could take money from elsewhere ... or they also adjust # of employees (so same total $ spend, just on fewer people and then ask them to each do more work)

But yes, it is an increased cost meaning more revenue is needing to cover that ... BUT also companies sometimes play it up and increase pricing/revenue more than is needed and "blame" it on increasing pay for lower salary workers

If we look at Disney, they have 220,000 employees. If every single one of them got a $5/hour raise that would be ~$10,000 per person per year (assuming 40 hours a week and 2 weeks vacation), or an extra 2.2bn of expense

in 2022 they made 82.7bn - so that increase would be 2.6% of that. We all know pricing is going up by more than 2.6% (also, they didn't increase most people's salaries by $5, so this is way over stated)

Last edited:

Splash4eva

Stop blaming the wages of those on the lower end of the wage scale for price increases and start blaming corporate greed.
Listen dont get me wrong greed plays into the mix but dont kid yourself by thinking paying higher wages to employees was gonna be a full hit on companies not the guests going…

JoeCamel

I mean, they could, or they could take money from elsewhere ... or they also adjust # of employees (so same total $ spend, just on fewer people and then ask them to each do more work)

But yes, it is an increased cost meaning more revenue is needing to cover that ... BUT also companies sometimes play it up and increase pricing/revenue more than is needed and "blame" it on increasing pay for lower salary workers

If we look at Disney, they have 220,000 employees. If every single one of them got a $5/hour raise that would be ~$10,000 per person per year (assuming 40 hours a week and 2 weeks vacation), or an extra 2.2bn of expense

in 2022 they made 82.7bn - so that increase would be 2.6% of that. We all know pricing is going up by more than 2.6% (also, they didn't increase most people's salaries by $5, so this is way over stated)
I don't think we can deny that $15 at Mickey D's leads to higher burger prices or that Universal installing new scanners and raising TM wages is not raising prices to enter the park so it does have an influence. Not all the cause but no one claimed it was

Miss Bella

Actually, it is you who is DEAD WRONG if you think that dining prices in the larger cities like the ones I specifically mentioned are not just as high as those in WDW.
What big cities? What exactly are we comparing. Disney food isn’t exactly 5 star dining. Most chain restaurants have better food than WDW. There’s a few exceptions like Jiko. I’ve vacationed in New york it wasn’t hard to find a variety of affordable options. Unlike WDW where you have to leave the bubble if you want to save money.

TheMaxRebo

I don't think we can deny that $15 at Mickey D's leads to higher burger prices or that Universal installing new scanners and raising TM wages is not raising prices to enter the park so it does have an influence. Not all the cause but no one claimed it was

No, but there have been comparisons done for countries and cities that have higher minimum wage and it increases the cost of a Big Mac by like 12 cents or something (and in some cases even less) ... So while it is a contributor, not a major one or what it might be made out to be

Big-Macs-cost-more-in-Oklahoma-than-in-states-with-higher-minimum-wages-via-Oklahoma-Policy-In...png

JoeCamel

No, but there have been comparisons done for countries and cities that have higher minimum wage and it increases the cost of a Big Mac by like 12 cents or something (and in some cases even less) ... So while it is a contributor, not a major one or what it might be made out to be

View attachment 752213
I don't see anyone making wages more than a contributing factor like so many other forces

JusticeDisney

What big cities? What exactly are we comparing. Disney food isn’t exactly 5 star dining. Most chain restaurants have better food than WDW. There’s a few exceptions like Jiko. I’ve vacationed in New york it wasn’t hard to find a variety of affordable options. Unlike WDW where you have to leave the bubble if you want to save money.
Well, I listed the specific cities I was talking about in this very thread. And of course you can always find a spot here and there which is not that expensive, but on the whole WDW dining prices are no worse (and are sometimes actually better) than dining prices in these cities. That’s not even a matter of opinion either, it’s an actual fact.

That said, you are now changing the topic and are talking about the quality of the food. That’s totally subjective and you of course are entitled to believe whatever you want. Personally speaking, there isn’t a chain restaurant in the world that is better than some of the restaurants that we enjoy in WDW. Anyway, I was talking about pricing, so a discussion about quality is irrelevant.

Splash4eva

Using your logic of 220k employees which is accurate. People complaining Iger makes too much money or any CEO. Go ahead and do the math if he made Zero which is obviously unrealistic. Tell me how much more does an employee make…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom