Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Trauma

maybe, hadn't seen D+ specifically for the holidays before and this was just shared by Disney Parks, but maybe refreshing it?

edit: It was the DisneyPlus twitter account that just tweeted it as an alert for this limited time deal

(guess it doesn't specifically say new)

View attachment 731790
Guess they plan on being full for New Years.

Unless it’s to hot.

jinx8402

So, by your logic heat/weather can never have an impact? There are obviously many factors to the lower attendance as many who have brought up the heat have mentioned with the major one being pricing. But when there are news reports of extreme heat advisories and heat indexes into the 110s, then yes it can and will impact people going to the parks. Even those who booked months ago. Maybe they just decide to wait until the evening to wait out the sun and get a few hours in and watch the fireworks.

celluloid

he was asked specifically about this past July 4th and it absolutely had an impact on that specific day to a greater extent than the general - people were leaving the parks early because of the heat, there were heat advisories, etc.

You can choose to not believe it due to you hatred of Iger

If the people were there to leave the parks early because of the heat, they would have been counted has attended.

celluloid

So, by your logic heat/weather can never have an impact? There are obviously many factors to the lower attendance as many who have brought up the heat have mentioned with the major one being pricing. But when there are news reports of extreme heat advisories and heat indexes into the 110s, then yes it can and will impact people going to the parks. Even those who booked months ago. Maybe they just decide to wait until the evening to wait out the sun and get a few hours in and watch the fireworks.

They would still be counted in attendance. Of course weather plays a factor, but outside of Hurricane imminent to present. They are very temporary.

People reserve days and would be counted present with reservations. Attendance was down before the fourth's heat advisory. It's not substantial to mention. It was a low fourth of July attendance.

Last edited:

TheMaxRebo

If the people were there to leave the parks early because of the heat, they would have been counted has attended.

But people weren't posting about reportered attendance they were reporting in how the crowds looked and what wait times were.... If people already left for the day they aren't in the photos of crowds and they aren't adding to wait times

ParentsOf4

Prices were really high last year, yet WDW had a great 12 months.

I still think the number one reason was revenge vacations messing with the normal cycle of WDW vacations. There naturally will be a lull the year after.

But I do agree with you that prices are very important - probably number two.

During revenge vacations, people seemed willing to pay any price. Disney misread this as “normal” and stepped on the “gas pedal” even further when it came to prices.

Now, Disney has to figure out how to recover.

celluloid

But people weren't posting about reportered attendance they were reporting in how the crowds looked and what wait times were.... If people already left for the day they aren't in the photos of crowds and they aren't adding to wait times

You would have seen the evening and morning crowds well attended before it reached the apparent heat where everyone gave up.

Heat advisories labeled oppressive heat or nothing new in Late July-August peak heat time

TheMaxRebo

You would have seen the evening and morning crowds well attended before it reached the apparent heat where everyone gave up.

Heat advisories labeled oppressive heat or nothing new in Late July-August peak heat time

ok, obviously we aren't going to change each other's mind - you think heat/temp has no effect on the crowds, I think it has a small contributing effect

In any case, the folks here acting like people are saying or implying it is the driving factor for why crowds are down are getting really old and tiring - no one has said anything remotely close to that

TheMaxRebo

Prices were really high last year, yet WDW had a great 12 months.

I still think the number one reason was revenge vacations messing with the normal cycle of WDW vacations. There naturally will be a lull the year after.

But I do agree with you that prices are very important - probably number two.

During revenge vacations, people seemed willing to pay any price. Disney misread this as “normal” and stepped on the “gas pedal” even further when it came to prices.

Now, Disney has to figure out how to recover.

I think that is a big thing - Disney pushed pricing (and removal of perks) as demand soared and now that it is waning people are really questioning if it is worth it or if they can better use those funds elsewhere (especially given everything in their daily life is seeing price increases too)

I recall a lot of people saying last year with, as an example, the return of the traditional holiday parties that they didn't care what they cost they missed them and were going to pay it to do them ... but now that they have done them, it is harder to pay the high prices again

celluloid

ok, obviously we aren't going to change each other's mind - you think heat/temp has no effect on the crowds, I think it has a small contributing effect

In any case, the folks here acting like people are saying or implying it is the driving factor for why crowds are down are getting really old and tiring - no one has said anything remotely close to that

If the news asked Bob Iger on television or in a network report why Fourth of July(one of the busiest time periods for tourism including theme parks) are down, and his main response was the heat and then a confusing lie. Yes, he won't convince many people that was the reason.

I don't hate the guy, I just know he is a liar so I don't have to respect him. Others have pointed out the lie within that interview alone.

TheMaxRebo

If the news asked Bob Iger on television or in a network report why Fourth of July(one of the busiest time periods for tourism including theme parks) are down, and his main response was the heat and then a confusing lie. Yes, he won't convince many people that was the reason.

I don't hate the guy, I just know he is a liar so I don't have to respect him. Others have pointed out the lie within that interview alone.

of course he's a liar - he's a CEO talking to analysts and investors

celluloid

of course he's a liar - he's a CEO talking to analysts and investors

Usually, they suck at it a little less. He blabbers on rubbish within two sentences that contradict himself. So you see, just because he says the fourth of july weekend was slow due to heat, and does not mention the other factors, does not mean we should just believe him. So it sounds like I do not need to change your mind here either.

TheMaxRebo

Iger blamed the weather, ignoring reports that attendance seemed to drop below normal after Easter, in the later half of April, May, and June. Well before the start of the really hot weather.

To me, it appears attendance was strong from about spring break 2022 to spring break 2023 - exactly the peak period of revenge vacations.

The weather was specifically about July 4 ... He talked more about how with Florida reopening earlier than other locations people started traveling there and now that other places have reopened they are going elsewhere, which probably has some validity .... I think minimizing their own issues too - some is out of their control but some of it definitely is their own doing

seabreezept813

I thank you for the advice unfortunately I don’t have time to watch anything currently. Part of the reason I’m so quick to cancel a streaming service.

I wonder if people younger than me are even faster to pull the trigger on canceling.

I think they would be more likely to pick a show they want to watch then cancel.

Of course I may be wrong on that assumption and I doubt there is any reliable statistics on cancelations by age groups.
I know several people who do this.. sign up for one a month watch the things they want, cancel and start a new one, rinse repeat.

JD80

Go listen to len testas podcast from the 17th. He talks all about attendance especially on the 4th as he's the source on the WSJ article Iger is commenting on.

Please.

No one is saying heat is the main driver of atrendance.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
My business gets very busy during summer and school.breaks. I speak with clients and ask where they are travelling to. (I'm not a TA).

In years past, it was lots of "We're going to Disney". This summer, not so much. More folks saying Universal. I spoke with a family on Thursday that are big Disney fans but were going to Universal instead. She said the Disney prices are just too high now.

Not saying USO is packed either, just have heard more clients saying Universal instead of Disney. None have mentioned heat or weather being a factor.

Lilofan

No, no. No one implied it's due to the heat.....except when sweater implied it was due to heat.
Family and friends have better than FL weather conditions living in Southern CA. Some don't even have central AC in homes , just wall units in the bedrooms. Coming to FL on vacation between June-Sept is a huge humid heat in your face even late night. Sweater vest probably could not take the heat himself .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom