iPhone users in Disney

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
All mobile phone users at the parks should be stoned to death. No one is that important that they cant be out of contact for a few hours.

As for using the phone on line etc, how about trying the unusual concept of communicating directly with those around you. Or are you just trying to show you have an iPhone. If so how simply super for you.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one Tam. Having a phone is essential for me, I work in a field where I am one of two people in my country with the skillsets to do my job and my employer simply wouldn't allow me to travel if they couldn't reach me in an emergency. I also have a 13-yo son traveling with me, he can't be expected to hold my hand constantly while we're in the parks, but is distracted enough that he wouldn't notice that it was time to meet for dinner or a show, I call him. It's nothing to do with 'showing' I have an iPhone, I could care less about what people think one way or the other, it's about effective communication both locally and internationally.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
I used to sell iPhones for ATT and its quite funny to me most of the people who bicker and cry about it want one more than the guy holding it.

I have the phone and my plans are all on it. Last year when I went I had all my exel plans with where we are going, where we are eating, and reservation numbers all at my finger tips whenever I needed it. Its easier than having papers, checklists, and anything else. I litterally transfered ALL my planning with a push of a button.

This is a stupid thing to even let bother you. Its like the morons who get the dining plan free every year then cry its too much food for them.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one Tam. Having a phone is essential for me, I work in a field where I am one of two people in my country with the skillsets to do my job and my employer simply wouldn't allow me to travel if they couldn't reach me in an emergency. I also have a 13-yo son traveling with me, he can't be expected to hold my hand constantly while we're in the parks, but is distracted enough that he wouldn't notice that it was time to meet for dinner or a show, I call him. It's nothing to do with 'showing' I have an iPhone, I could care less about what people think one way or the other, it's about effective communication both locally and internationally.

As a 13 year old, you like me must have managed to survive without the need to have a communication device strapped to the hip.

And there must be a lot of uniquely qualified people in demand 24/7 to warrant such phone usage.

I haver also managed to rember where and when Im going to eat that day.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I used to sell iPhones for ATT and its quite funny to me most of the people who bicker and cry about it want one more than the guy holding it.

I have the phone and my plans are all on it. Last year when I went I had all my exel plans with where we are going, where we are eating, and reservation numbers all at my finger tips whenever I needed it. Its easier than having papers, checklists, and anything else. I litterally transfered ALL my planning with a push of a button.

This is a stupid thing to even let bother you. Its like the morons who get the dining plan free every year then cry its too much food for them.

You really shouldn't judge others by your own superficial standards.

Nemo14

All mobile phone users at the parks should be stoned to death. No one is that important that they cant be out of contact for a few hours.

As for using the phone on line etc, how about trying the unusual concept of communicating directly with those around you. Or are you just trying to show you have an iPhone. If so how simply super for you.
I agree with you to a point. In fact I felt the same way when cell phones first came out. It seemed like for a lot of people, it was a "Hey look at me, I'm a special person!" mentality, and I feel that that attitude is pretty prevalent now with iPhones.

That being said, I do keep my cell with me at the parks though. With several relatives with major health issues, I feel the need to be available to them in the event of a problem.
(I know my phone has a camera, but I have yet to learn how to use it to post a picture...:eek:)

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
As a 13 year old, you like me must have managed to survive without the need to have a communication device strapped to the hip.

And there must be a lot of uniquely qualified people in demand 24/7 to warrant such phone usage.

Indeed I did survive, but time marches on. Society 'survived' driving horse and buggy, but that doesn't make it the only method of transportation acceptable forever. Cars and aircraft make getting to and from WDW much more effecient [and in your case possible], would you suggest that people who fly to WDW be stoned to death?

There is nothing wrong with using available technology to one's advantage. Nor is there anything wrong with being an anachronistic old fuddy-duddy... :lookaroun

:lol:

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
Okay, what you say is sarcasimly correct because of your well thought out "attack" if you will...

Basically something useful to someone else may not be useful to you so who cares?

Is riding the TOT going to be any less fun for you because before you went inside I was outside checking my dinner reservation?

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
I agree with you to a point. In fact I felt the same way when cell phones first came out. It seemed like for a lot of people, it was a "Hey look at me, I'm a special person!" mentality, and I feel that that attitude is pretty prevalent now with iPhones.

That being said, I do keep my cell with me at the parks though. With several relatives with major health issues, I feel the need to be available to them in the event of a problem.
(I know my phone has a camera, but I have yet to learn how to use it to post a picture...:eek:)

Let alone the protective case I have on mine youd have to be stalking me, or paying more attention to me than your own good time to notice Im celebrating my iPhone. Someones always worried about what someone else is doing. I can care less if someone walked around with a laptop taped to his/her chest. It is not going to effect my good time.

Nemo14

Let alone the protective case I have on mine youd have to be stalking me, or paying more attention to me than your own good time to notice Im celebrating my iPhone. Someones always worried about what someone else is doing. I can care less if someone walked around with a laptop taped to his/her chest. It is not going to effect my good time.
Oh it doesn't affect my good time at all. In fact it generally gives me a good chuckle. I don't go actively seeking them out.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
Oh it doesn't affect my good time at all. In fact it generally gives me a good chuckle. I don't go actively seeking them out.

No but I do see where you are coming from because I do notice people showcasing them. I mean how unique can you really be when MILLIONS of people how the same thing you do? :shrug:

yankspy

Okay, what you say is sarcasimly correct because of your well thought out "attack" if you will...

Basically something useful to someone else may not be useful to you so who cares?

Is riding the TOT going to be any less fun for you because before you went inside I was outside checking my dinner reservation?
I wonder how useful they really are most of the time? I hear the silliest conversations half the time. "I will be there in five minutes". You need to call someone to say that? It is not so much the phone, but some people's lack of etiquette while using them. People use their outside voice when they are on them inside. People will try and have two conversations while on them, a pet peeve of mine. I am not saying that you do any of this, I am simply saying that these things can be annoying.

I have to side with Pumbas on this one since I just recently bought my first phone. The only reason I did buy one was because I can no longer find a working pay phone.

I have also noticed how much people miss by constantly being connected. I am in D.C. often and I constantly see people walk right by great architecture and artistic statuary and they do not even notice it. I understand technology and all of that. However, I also understand the invaluable nature of face to face communication, as Pumbas noted.:)

maryszhi

i always bring mine. i have a site programed into it that tells me the wait times of the rides. i also set up reminders of when to meet up with my parents, fastpass time, reservations, exc.its alot heavier then my blackberry, but its quicker for me to use.

Laura

Premium Member

I tend to agree with you, however, I think there is a big difference between using a phone to stay in touch with all the "back home" stuff and your message boards while on vacation (I don't like to drag home with me on vacation), and using the phone as an aid to make your trip more enjoyable (which I do a lot).

It can be quite handy to have a live radar map in your pocket to see how long a thunderstorm is going to last, or to spend otherwise wasted time sitting around for 40 minutes waiting for a show to start by looking at menus and deciding with your spouse which place you feel like eating at when the show gets out. A lot easier than actually walking to those places on an empty belly, especially if they are across the park from each other. I consider myself pretty informed about the restaurants in Disney, but I will admit I have not memorized every fast food menu in the parks yet nor do I plan those meals ahead of time. ;)

Also, text messaging is the way to go when ungrouping and regrouping with people in the parks.

EpcotServo

You really shouldn't judge others by your own superficial standards.

Repeat after me:

This world is....

THIS WORLD IS MADE OF...

LOVE & PEACE!
vashloveandpeacekn1.jpg

-Vash, TRIGUN

WDW Lover

Wait a minute...Are there actually people sitting in front of their computers, using their high speed internet connections, signed on to a bulletin board, with several hundred posts just on this forum, with their custom made photoshopped avatars mind you, posting negative comments about people's overuse of cell phone technology? :rolleyes:

I don't have an iphone. I've used one though. It was very nice. I don't have the internet on my cell phone, so using it in the park isn't even an option. Maybe that's why some of these folks with Jitterbugs are so negative.

It seems to me that I've seen posts about Google Earth and people saying how cool it is to see this and that. Look at the 20,000 leagues subs here and this excavated piece of earth there. Well wouldn't it be just as cool to pull those same things up when you were right there rather than 1,500 miles away? I'm not suggesting walking around the parks with your head down, nor do I think that anyone else has either. But if someone actually stops and takes time to smell the roses, or to quote Barbara Wawa..."take time to enjoy the view", well more power to you. In line, on the monorail, waiting for your lunch, whenever.

Now if the iPhone's battery didn't suck, and you could actually change the battery after several hours away from a charging source, or you could turn off wifi to conserve battery...:rolleyes:...maybe I'd consider. :p

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Now if the iPhone's battery didn't suck, and you could actually change the battery after several hours away from a charging source, or you could turn off wifi to conserve battery...:rolleyes:...maybe I'd consider. :p
There are external batteries available for the iPhone and you can turn off WiFi. You can also set it to Airplane Mode which turns all transmit/receive off. If that's all that's holding you back... :king:

WDW Lover

There are external batteries available for the iPhone and you can turn off WiFi. You can also set it to Airplane Mode which turns all transmit/receive off. If that's all that's holding you back... :king:

No that's not all. :ROFLOL:
I'm locked into Sprint for a few more months. I'll see what the HTC Diamand and Pro look like with their version of the Opera browsers, then make a decision. Do you still have to hack your iphone to put ringers on there, other than paid itunes ringers? Windows phones suck, but they are easily modified. :drevil:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom