iPhone users in Disney

NASAMan

I for one welcome the smart phones to the parks, as they can be invaluable to the guest experience. I couple years ago, the 'in' technology at the parks were the walkie-talkies. I hated them, as people would leave them turned up loud enough to hear when clipped to their belt, which meant everyone else could hear. And their was constant chatter as their five mile range would pick up every other conversation on that channel in and out of the park. There are still some etiquette issues with cell phone use (talking too loud, obnoxious ring tones, etc.) but that is for another post. I do feel a little sad at those (usually teens) who seem to be in their own world listening to their own music via earbuds, but then they are with their family and that may be what it takes.

When I visited WDW on Labor Day, I used my iPhone to:
check weather (temp. and radar)
San Angelo menu
check with my son and his guest who separated for an attraction
found hours for the Adventurers Club
used Google Maps to follow our boat from the Studios to Epcot
check the scores of the Cubs game (they lost :( )

I also stopped at guest relation at the Studios, Epcot, and Downtown Disney so the technology did not replace the human contact, just provided easier access to information when it was convenient.

antman157

Original Poster

Yeah that is a good feature with the new 3G iPhone, its cool if you get seperated it will tell you where your kids, wife, etc are incase you get lost.. I like that idea

devoy1701

Yeah that is a good feature with the new 3G iPhone, its cool if you get seperated it will tell you where your kids, wife, etc are incase you get lost.. I like that idea

iPhone and the 3G network Presents: How to ditch your parents at WDW in a tasteful manner...

mother: "hello? where are you? You were supposed to meet back up with me infront of space mountain an hour ago!"

son: "Sorry Mom, I got lost, there was a deadzone in the 3G coverage by Splash when I was trying to check Google Earth for the best route to get over to Space Mountain...I thought maybe if I caught the monorail to Epcot and hang out in the Soarin' Queue that I might get better reception over there...I'll just see ya back at the hotel tonight!"

:brick:

antman157

Original Poster
Mom: Dont lie to me boy, even though 3G went out, edge is still available..

Son: Sorry

iPhone and the 3G network Presents: How to ditch your parents at WDW in a tasteful manner...

mother: "hello? where are you? You were supposed to meet back up with me infront of space mountain an hour ago!"

son: "Sorry Mom, I got lost, there was a deadzone in the 3G coverage by Splash when I was trying to check Google Earth for the best route to get over to Space Mountain...I thought maybe if I caught the monorail to Epcot and hang out in the Soarin' Queue that I might get better reception over there...I'll just see ya back at the hotel tonight!"

:brick:

hokielutz

Along the lines of the iPhone.... for those who purchased one since the new release... I have a question:

:shrug: How is the 3G network service in all of the parks?? :shrug: I don't plan to do work in the parks, but having the phone's web and organizing capabilities could be a plus while on the move, or while in transit between parks.

cblodg

Whats the point in even going on vacation anymore when you just take your internet and email and everything you surround yourself with during everyday life with you?!

seriously...I will never own a phone with those capabilities unless they stop making standard cell phones. I love being able to get away from email/internet and computers for a week! Heck, I don't even use the camera that comes standard on cell phones nowadays. Not to mention that $100/mo for cell phone service is insane!

:shrug:

Here Here! When I go on vacation I have my simple TracFone cell phone on me, and it's allways off unless I need to call someone in my party.

But I understand those that love the techie toys though.

NEmickeyfan

I, too, just got my Samsung G3 Instinct phone and was wondering the same thing as hokielutz. It appears that there is no problem using G3 in the parks. In fact, I watched a live cam broadcast from Magic Kingdom using a G3 phone recently. Ustream.com has a site dedicated to and by people who host live web cams from the different WDW resorts. As a test, one of the users of this site took her phone and broadcasted live from MK! I am dying to find out how to do that! Technology... ain't it great!

donsullivan

Premium Member
Along the lines of the iPhone.... for those who purchased one since the new release... I have a question:

:shrug: How is the 3G network service in all of the parks?? :shrug: I don't plan to do work in the parks, but having the phone's web and organizing capabilities could be a plus while on the move, or while in transit between parks.

So far I've only used mine at MK and EC since I got it but it seems to work great in all the locations I've tried. I've done things like check the local weather radar to see if the storm is going to be a short of long one or a quick check of emails. When I visit I'm not really on vacation it's just a day visit to the parks so it gives me the opportunity to keep up with emails when I'm riding TTA or stuck in a long line.

Dragonrider1227

I can actually understand wanting to use the internet while waiting in line for certain rides. Especially when waiting over 45 minutes to get on Peter Pan's Flight. :dazzle: But then, I think it's safe to say that I have an unhealthy addiction to the Internet :lol:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Sadly, like my UK counterpart, 3G access in the parks would be prohibitively expensive. [WiFi would be great if it weren't password protected :lookaroun]

I used my iPhone throughout my trip last week to keep notes of what we were doing for my trip report. I also used text to communicate with various members of the Kingdom and Kungaloosh meet when we were separated by rain or other circumstances. I took a few pics with the built-in camera.

I wish the various international providers would get better roaming packages in place so anyone anywhere can just use their data regardless of which country you're from... :(

expedition_evan

i love having my iPhone in the park! over the summer I went to WDW for a camp, and it was great to be able to email pictures to my parents! Also, on some nights a few of us wanted to eat at the restaurants, and it was great to be able to look up menus. I don't ever listen to the iPod on my phone while in the parks though.

antman157

Original Poster
I can actually understand wanting to use the internet while waiting in line for certain rides. Especially when waiting over 45 minutes to get on Peter Pan's Flight. :dazzle: But then, I think it's safe to say that I have an unhealthy addiction to the Internet :lol:

dude, I have that same shirt .. But I am also addicted to the Internet.. I have no life, lol

scpergj

Well, I can't say anything about AK, but I can tell you that in EPCOT, MK, and the Studios I had very few problems with my 3g phone. Like I said in my earlier post, and was agreed by someone else in a later post, the only real issue I had was at Carribean Beach - no 3g or Edge at all. Other than that, I had real good reception.

Hope this helps!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
All mobile phone users at the parks should be stoned to death. No one is that important that they cant be out of contact for a few hours.

As for using the phone on line etc, how about trying the unusual concept of communicating directly with those around you. Or are you just trying to show you have an iPhone. If so how simply super for you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom