iPhone users in Disney

TomHendricks

I have always used my iPhone down at WDW and have never had an issue with connection or speed. I keep hoping that Disney would put out applications for wait times, park performance schedules, extra magic hours and dining reservations.

antman157

Original Poster
Awesome, I will def. check it out..

I use my iPhone when I'm in the parks but only to keep track of my Disney trip itinerary, important phone calls, and for a quick picture when I can't pull out my camera.

For my upcoming trip, I used www.tripit.com for every reservation and detail of my trip and it has a GREAT iPhone interface. Check it out, it's really cool.

antman157

Original Poster
Show off.. LOL .. I was looking at the white one since its only the 16GB size.. Haha :lol:

I'm on my white 3g right now while waiting for bus to MGM. Used mine alot to email. Weather remember dinning times. Look at google for best route walking g from 1 park to another.

antman157

Original Poster
But if you tech savy like I am .. I cant do with out my gagets .. I would take my Xbox 360 if I could .. I love tech stuff.. But I am a computer / tech geek

I'm just saying that plenty of people get along just fine and prefer to not have to use technology every second of their vacation. Pin stations have catalogs of upcoming pins, EMH are posted on the show times page. You can check for ride updates before you leave on your trip...chances are that nothing has changed in 24hrs...if something closes unexpectedly you're more likely to find out faster in the park than online. You can't get wait times or FP return times on the phone or anything (atleast not yet).

It is my humble opinion that if you feel that you need to have an iPhone or internet capable phone with you to obsessively check things all the time then you are missing out on some of the simple things of life. and the fact that you Danny are using your phone at the parks right now to check in on this site is proving my point. Go enjoy your day! Check the site when head back to your hotel!

Laura

Premium Member
I can understand needing to look up show times, menus, etc., but this is something I avoid by doing a lot of advance planning, printing information out, and picking up a Times Guide in the park. I'd rather spend a little extra time before the trip nailing down the details, than spending that time I could be using to soak in the details to figure it out while on vacation.

Oh, if anything I OVERPLAN. I am well-prepared for my trips. :lol: But sometimes while I'm sitting waiting 45 minutes for a show or something, bored out of my mind I will look up menus and decide what to eat when I get out of the show....things like that.

antman157

Original Poster
I believe all of Orlando is 3G .. Will test this in December :)

This past July, my whole family (all 6 of us) brought our iPhones to Disney and we had a lot of trouble using the Edge network in Orlando. If Edge would work at all, it would be very slow. Has anyone else experienced this? :shrug: All of us had the original iPhone so we didn't have the option for the 3G network. When the internet did work, it was very handy to be able to check the radar and forecast though. :wave:

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Luckily, technology like the iPhone allows us diehard Disney fans one major advantage while in the parks... Helping break news when we see it here on WDWMAGIC for other Disney addicts! :D

Granted it's not the best reason to carry your phone in the parks, but it sure comes in handy.

antman157

Original Poster
Agreed

Luckily, technology like the iPhone allows us diehard Disney fans one major advantage while in the parks... Helping break news when we see it here on WDWMAGIC for other Disney addicts! :D

Granted it's not the best reason to carry your phone in the parks, but it sure comes in handy.

wvdisneyfamily

I have a HTC Diamond, and a HTC Polaris which I purchased to replace an iPhone as I did not get on with it at all, these have 3.5g capabilities so get some great speeds for the internet connection, as for using them in the parks, I prefer listening to the park area music and watching all of the details around me. (Never understand why there are people standing there listening to mp3 players or walking around whilst at Disney as they play some of the best music in the world).

Now when im on a train, that is a different story. :D

Me either! I love to just listen to all that is Disney when I'm there.

wvdisneyfamily

Whats the point in even going on vacation anymore when you just take your internet and email and everything you surround yourself with during everyday life with you?!

seriously...I will never own a phone with those capabilities unless they stop making standard cell phones. I love being able to get away from email/internet and computers for a week! Heck, I don't even use the camera that comes standard on cell phones nowadays. Not to mention that $100/mo for cell phone service is insane!

:shrug:

I understand what you are saying. I like the tech stuff and am planning on upgrading my phone and plan to incorporate Internet usage. However, I don't think I would be surfing the net at the park. I use my cell phone to call people at home and check on family, but that's about it. WDW is an escape.

scpergj

I used mine at Sea World and at WDW this weekend...worked great! I took some pictures of the weather and my kids and e-mailed them right then to my mom- she thought that was cool. Also used it to keep up with the storms, since we live in Florida and needed to know what was on the way. I did not use the iPod function - I usually only use that at work. I have a much smaller mp3 player I use when I exercise. My iPhone e-mail is a personal account, one that work does not know about!

I did run into a couple of spots with no 3g coverage, mostly Caribbean Beach (where we stayed), and not much coverage in Downtown Disney. I did see a bunch of other people using iPhones.

bluefaery

Thats why when I am waiting on Fantasmic or Wishes I find a good seat and turn on my MP3 (soon my iPhone) and listen to Disney podcast or Disney music, which its full of :king:

I am the same way. I only take my iPod w/ me for 2 reasons. 1. I can set it up to the portable alarm clock I take w/ me that way I can wake up to disney music and 2. I listen to it while waiting for Fantasmic. I normally program my iPod to play fantasmic while I'm waiting for Fantasmic to start. It gets me all excited. I love it.

antman157

Original Poster
Thats cool .. I was wondering how well the 3G worked at Downtown Disney ..

I used mine at Sea World and at WDW this weekend...worked great! I took some pictures of the weather and my kids and e-mailed them right then to my mom- she thought that was cool. Also used it to keep up with the storms, since we live in Florida and needed to know what was on the way. I did not use the iPod function - I usually only use that at work. I have a much smaller mp3 player I use when I exercise. My iPhone e-mail is a personal account, one that work does not know about!

I did run into a couple of spots with no 3g coverage, mostly Caribbean Beach (where we stayed), and not much coverage in Downtown Disney. I did see a bunch of other people using iPhones.

Phonedave

I once remember seeing someone post here that they were "writing from their balcony at Boardwalk". I thought to myself that if I had a room at Boardwalk, I'd be taking in everything there was to take in there. As an infrequent visitor (vacationer), I'm not going to spend my precious time on vacation updating WDWMagic on what's going on. I'll leave that to the locals. :shrug:

LOL, that would be me. The guy who does not take gadgets with him on vacation. :D

If I may explain. Many times my job sends me to Tampa on business. I tack 3 to 4 days on the end of the business trip, and go over to WDW. In cases like that, I do have my laptop with me, because I need it for work.

It was my last day at WDW, and my DME left in about 90 minutes. All my luggage was checked and I had my laptop bag. So I went and sat on the balcony, and caught up on some emails from work. You will not find me doing that on a "real" vacation.

-dave

Phonedave

As I said in another post, somtimes I am at WDW on the end of a business trip and I have my laptop. CB is the only place I could not get wireless broadband.

-dave

dolbyman

(Never understand why there are people standing there listening to mp3 players or walking around whilst at Disney as they play some of the best music in the world)

when I'm around in the worldwide parks .. it looks like I'm doing exactly that .. but those earbuds are HQ microphones that record 3D audio :D

DisneyWales

I wish i could take my iphone with me, but the roaming data plan is going to kill me.

It would be so handy for keeping in touch with the BF who is not coming this trip, and also for checking stuff on the go.

I usually a very tech heavy person, But I don't like having my phone on my at WDW, like people say, it distracts from the experience, but sadly my job won't allow me to leave it at home.

I'm kinda on stand-by, even when in Florida. I dont have any issue with people playiing DS/PSP in the ride lines etc (was a god send at DLRP this summer, on most the new attractions the money seemed to run out at the ride lines), also WDW attractions some can be very boring to wait in for a long time (Soarin', Safari, etc) but people who listen to their own music bug the hell out me. Its kinda a little anti-social IMO. Are your family that dull?

But alas each to their own, if you into heavy metal or hard rap, listening to its a small work 10 times on loop isn't gonna float your boat (no pun, but it kind worked lol)

BAD311

I used my Sprint HTC Mogul back in May during the rain showers. Really helped us decide to either stay in line or ditch and head back to the hotel. Thanks to the phone we were able to see the storm was going around Disney and we were able to stay the rest of the evening at Epcot..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom