Inside WDW new space mountain 11/10/09

milewis78

As far as soft opening are concerned...has anyone been on a soft open before? Do they announce it or do people walking by happen to get lucky and get on the ride?

Just curious as I am planning on being at the park tomorrow and wondered how one is lucky enough to be part of the soft opening?

Also any rumors of a passholder preview?

EPCOT Explorer

Good timing. Were the photos released to divert attention from the Lights of Winter complaints that are piling up on the official blog? At least we know that Thomas Smith is online since he created that Space Mountain blog - hopefully he will give an official answer soon on LoW. At the moment I guess we can assume that silence means the Lights of Winter are indeed gone.
Hmm. Slightly disheartening, yes
Really? Do I have to be the first one to say it?

Floors. The Floors are still awful concrete.

I know our nice decorative floors we've been installing in newer attractions get scuffed, but it's worth it. The drab grey Concrete just ain't workin'.

Sigh.

Anyways, the Load area does look a thousand times better, though it's still 95% the same. I would've preferred better details, but I had assumed from the beginning they'd have no real wealth of shininess as per Disneyland, and would instead substitute a new pepper's ghost space box that involves projections.

Basicly, what I'm saying is like it, but I was shooting for "Excellent" not "Competent".
:lol:

:dazzle:

Great Team + No Money = They just can't swing for the fences on this one.

Well, like I said, it looks better...Disneyland, I'm sending you the trophy. It should be there by next monday.
:eek: :dazzle: :lol:

(Oh, and no, not all the Star Windows will be gone, they won't place games on the Fastpass side. You can kinda' see em' in the photo actually.)
Though it's kinda nit picky...I agree. Look at the concrete OUTSIDE. That's actually nice.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
the panneling is from 1975...it was all that came about of an expansive RCA Communications Network queue.....and that was scrapped before the ride opened so all we got was faux storage panneling and a switchback. Had it been built it would have been an intense version of the Mission to Mars mission control booth with tons of video monitors and mainframe computers.
I know where you heard that... and it was wrong. That art was never intended to represent that area.

mickey2008.1

I think it looks great so far. In the second picture, does this mean the 3D effects of the past are gone, the planets, and star station things. 32 more days and i will be on it!:xmas:

RSoxNo1

Here are some more pictures:

20ztbew.jpg

on the right side of the photo is that the control tower or the area in which the rockets go around? If it's the control tower than the queue layout has changed significantly.

hpyhnt 1000

That looks like the area the rockets go around to me.

Yeah, thats the arch where the rockets go around to enter the blue light tunnel. The picture was taken from behind the tower looking toward the southern set of switchbacks (which is the Omega side I believe).

Jasonflz

:D:sohappy::wave::sohappy::sohappy::):xmas::king:

That pic of the loading area looks AMAZING!!!!!! Definitely what our SM needed. I'm really excited to see the projections in those large windows.

Now, on the queue pic, I am a little iffy about the look of it but I won't be picky and judge it until I have seen it in person.

Overall, this refurb looks to be better than most expected.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
As far as soft opening are concerned...has anyone been on a soft open before? Do they announce it or do people walking by happen to get lucky and get on the ride?

Just curious as I am planning on being at the park tomorrow and wondered how one is lucky enough to be part of the soft opening?

Also any rumors of a passholder preview?

They are not announced. Its basically a case of being there at the right time.

Keep your eyes peeled here, as soon as any soft opens happen we'll get it posted.

If you are in the park, use http://mobile.wdwmagic.com or http://twitter.com/wdwmagic

jonnyc

:D:sohappy::wave::sohappy::sohappy::):xmas::king:

That pic of the loading area looks AMAZING!!!!!! Definitely what our SM needed. I'm really excited to see the projections in those large windows.

Now, on the queue pic, I am a little iffy about the look of it but I won't be picky and judge it until I have seen it in person.

Overall, this refurb looks to be better than most expected.

I am of the same feeling as you. It seems like the queue might have lost its intamacy.

brkgnews

20ztbew.jpg

Also, as EpcotServo mentioned, the floor looks horrible, but I'm not sure if it is quite done. If so, it looks extremely dirty in general. Who knows though.

Anyway... I wouldn't be surprised if they removed these images as they were uploaded, but not used.

Finally, a pic I can see. :lol: Looks pretty good! I wouldn't read too much into the floor just yet. There's at least a possiblility that since it's "active" construction they may have some kind of temporary protective covering on it or something.

My real question is... did Alex Wright grow a goatee, or is that his evil twin? :lol:

raven

Really? Do I have to be the first one to say it?

Floors. The Floors are still awful concrete.

I know our nice decorative floors we've been installing in newer attractions get scuffed, but it's worth it. The drab grey Concrete just ain't workin'.

Sigh.

Concrete floors are actually better in this situation. With all of the poles in the queue it's much easier to clean concrete than it is any other type of floor. Plus it's more durable and wears were slow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom