Rumor Inside Out to Replace Journey into Imagination with Figment?

Daveeeeed

Do you think Imagination isn't good? Why?

The fact that there is nothing else like it, is what makes it good. If it was terrible, I would compare it to other dark rides at smaller parks, then claim it is terrible because I can experience something similar without Disney magic at a 6 flags.

I rode the Rat ride over the summer on our family trip to Paris. I have been a hard critic of it since then.

- Imagination has a story, has physical sets, a catchy tune, and doesnt require glasses.
- Imageworks is in poor condition, but so is what is left of innoventions, which is less excusable.
- Ratatouille is trackless, but that doesnt make it a good attraction, is screen based with limited physical sets, and has no coherent story.

The point is, I am glad Epcot is getting something new, but Ratatouille is worse than Imagination, and everybody seems to have a bone to pick with Imagination, but is already defending Ratatouille.
Ratatouille (IMO of course) is an awesome ride. I never got to ride the original, but even with what I just said about Rat, and just from the videos alone, I would still prefer an updated Imagination hands down.

eliza61nyc

It wasn’t.
my bad. where else did it assault unspecting travelers? California? It was still ungodly horrible (IMO) so my point "uniqueness" does not equate to "good". A hot mess, is still a hot mess. dull and old is still dull and old. Again I have not been on ratatouille but at this point I'll go on anything is better than the crap on a cracker that is the imagination pavilion.
Again just my opinion, carrys no more weight than any other. most folks know I'm not a big fan of keeping old stuff just in the name of "nostalgia". Ellen's universe of energy, TGMR, imagination all needed to go imo, I'd much rather have "Inside out", ratatouille and Guardians of the Galaxy, sight unseen than have to suffer through old boring stuff.

Next up in my dreams. that horrible speedway track in MK.

Last edited:

Bender123

Ratatouille is a physically massive and expensive attraction. That is not a C/D ticket kind of scope.

Cost and physical size do not really factor in the argument...by this definition, Mermaid is a super headliner. Having been on the ride in France, it definitely fits this categorization. That doesn't mean it isn't a fun and enjoyable ride, it just means that it isn't going to be a massive blockbuster ride. Its not at the level of a PotC or HM. Its even in the same ballpark as a Soarin', TT or ToT. Its a flat and enjoyable five minutes with some good effects and interesting story.

Just remember...Peter Pan was a "C" ticket when WDW opened. I would put Rat on this level.

Figments Friend

Disney would be wise to realize the popularity and potential of a little purple dragon, and return him to his original inquisitive and fun incarnation, not the annoying one that's been around since the original JII was shuttered. And not just around event merchandise, like they are want to do. There appears to be plenty of demand for Dreamfinder and Figment, but some are just ignorant to that.

One of the problems is, the 'suits' in California where the Company's headquarters are located are in many cases just not well versed in the legacy of the Original JII Attraction.
They were really quite clueless up to a point due to many of them being based on the West Coast and not having it within their eyesight.
It was simply a case of just not being aware of it since many of them had never experienced it, or had joined the company well after the Original was removed.
Both coasts are truly two very different worlds...literally.
Simply put, it was just not on their awareness radar.
Similar to how management on the East Coast may have a difficult time understanding the legacy or local appeal of a unique Attraction over in California's Disneyland.

These people really did not get a glimmer of what the Original meant and the impact it had on Guests until AFTER it was removed.
The Guest complaints, letter writing campaigns, CM and OPs feedback all clued them in to some small degree.
What REALLY opened their eyes was the success of the recent Marvel 'Figment' comic book series.
I know for a fact that surprised a lot of folks and opened a LOT of eyes in the ranks of 'uppers' over in Burbank and Glendale and made some folks sit up and take notice.
But sadly, i think several of them still do not fully understand what this Attraction was capable of and how deeply it effected and inspired people.
Some, however, DO understand the possibility of expanding on that success and adding to it.

Regardless, it is indeed encouraging that at least it is on their 'radar' now.
Over the last few years or so in particular.
So there is always hope a improvement will be coming along.

:)

-

Last edited:

brb1006

One of the problems is, the 'suits' in California where the Company's headquarters are located are not well versed in the legacy of the Original JII Attraction.
They were really quite clueless due to many of them being based on the West Coast and not having it within their eyesight.
It was simply a case of just not being aware of it since many of them had never experienced it, or had joined the company well after the Original was removed.
Similar to how management on the East Coast may have a difficult time understanding the legacy or local appeal of a unique Attraction over in California's Disneyland.

These people really did not get a glimmer of what the Original meant until after it was removed.
The Guest complaints, letter writing campaigns, CM and OPs feedback all clued them in to some small degree.
What REALLY opened their eyes was the success of the recent Marvel 'Figment' comic book series.
I know for a fact that opened a LOT of eyes in the ranks of 'uppers' over in Burbank and Glendale and it make some folks sit up and take notice.
But sadly, i think several of them still do not fully understand what this Attraction was capable of and how deeply it effected and inspired people.

-
The only time most Disneylanders got to know Figment was his cameo in Mission Breakout at DCA as a cameo which is kinda of sad.
DAt_wgcXoAAfa-k.jpg

The most exposure Figment has gotten in recent years to the general public besides the Marvel Figment comics is in Pixar's Inside Out as a portrait. Which I bet 90% of people today would think he was a random nameless dragon.

I'm glad I created a thread about the Figment edutainment series "Language Arts Through Imagination" that contained all the episodes but are unlisted. Since there was a period where Figment was briefly in an edutainment series that was shown at schools and libraries in animated form.
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...tarring-figment-now-in-better-quality.939249/

The Playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuL0d0AOafoeP_3inPxbnjxRweElG7k-9

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

One of the problems is, the 'suits' in California where the Company's headquarters are located are in many cases just not well versed in the legacy of the Original JII Attraction.
They were really quite clueless up to a point due to many of them being based on the West Coast and not having it within their eyesight.
Both coasts are truly two very different worlds...literally.

These people really did not get a glimmer of what the Original meant and the impact it had on Guests until AFTER it was removed.
I know for a fact that surprised a lot of folks and opened a LOT of eyes in the ranks of 'uppers' over in Burbank and Glendale and made some folks sit up and take notice.
Some, however, DO understand the possibility of expanding on that success and adding to it.

-
If Westcot had happened, much would be different.

MrWarners14

If Westcot had happened, much would be different.
Agreed. I think had WestCOT not been filled with management and PR issues during planning, it might have given several attractions (like Figment) more love and care. Instead, EPCOT is now a shell of it's "EPCOT Center" roots and currently comes off as a disjointed mess.

I'm hoping those recent plans for a new and better "EPCOT" can finally come into fruition and make an incredible difference to it's reputation.

lazyboy97o

Cost and physical size do not really factor in the argument...by this definition, Mermaid is a super headliner. Having been on the ride in France, it definitely fits this categorization. That doesn't mean it isn't a fun and enjoyable ride, it just means that it isn't going to be a massive blockbuster ride. Its not at the level of a PotC or HM. Its even in the same ballpark as a Soarin', TT or ToT. Its a flat and enjoyable five minutes with some good effects and interesting story.

Just remember...Peter Pan was a "C" ticket when WDW opened. I would put Rat on this level.
Scope and scale was very much part of determining ticket level. Given its huge size and $150 million price tag, The Little Mermaid most definitely should have delivered an E-Ticket experience.

gustaftp

I rode yesterday. While there is obviously much about this attraction that really needs help, there were a few things that need immediate help:
  • The EYE CHART was ironically blurry and needed to have the angle adjusted -- it was partially off the screen.
  • The kettle wasn't blasting out steam like it normally does
  • Figment's TV screen was looking rather washed out.
  • The smell lab wasn't blasting out any smells.
These should be easy fixes. C'mon, Disney!

Incidentally, I couldn't help but notice that the Figment merch was selling like hot cakes. Despite the broken effects, it was fun hearing the children behind me clearly enjoying themselves.

Cmdr_Crimson

I rode yesterday. While there is obviously much about this attraction that really needs help, there were a few things that need immediate help:
  • The EYE CHART was ironically blurry and needed to have the angle adjusted -- it was partially off the screen.

Incidentally, I couldn't help but notice that the Figment merch was selling like hot cakes. Despite the broken effects, it was fun hearing the children behind me clearly enjoying themselves.

Funny thing is......All those problems were prominent since January...

MrPromey

Not sure #4 is actually a "problem", though...

MrWarners14

Wait, so it wasn't making audiences want to puke this time? YAY! That might actually be an improvement, Disney. I now want to go on the ride. :D

JWG

Imagination looked a little rough last week when we rode as well. The Sight lab had no sound as the main detraction.
The smell lab seemed negligible compared to normal.

pdude81

Guess it’s time to close it for refurbishment soon then. 😏 Maybe then, they can refurbish it back to the way it *should* be! (*imagines the original attraction restored with new advanced animatronics, the original soundtrack remastered, & upgraded effects/scenery*)
Would be awesome, but I think they need a ride or two to open before shutting anything down.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom