Rumor Inside Out to Replace Journey into Imagination with Figment?

DanielBB8

Maybe this new Pixar movie will resolve the issue.

“Ever wonder where your passion, your dreams and your interests come from? What is it that makes you... YOU? [The film] takes you on a journey from the streets of New York City to the cosmic realms to discover the answers to life’s most important questions.[1]

— Disney/Pixar

SOUL

FigmentJedi

Maybe this new Pixar movie will resolve the issue.

“Ever wonder where your passion, your dreams and your interests come from? What is it that makes you... YOU? [The film] takes you on a journey from the streets of New York City to the cosmic realms to discover the answers to life’s most important questions.[1]

— Disney/Pixar

SOUL
No, Soul is what Chapek is gonna cram into the Haunted Mansion

was wondering if anyone knew if the pixar short film thing was still gonna be around for the next couple of years if (i was there last week) and thought maybe that can be a good spot for inside out instead of using the imagination pavalion so inside out can be like a theatre show like M.I.L.F (like have joy sadness and the gang) interating with guess in Rileys mind. The reasons I say this is because I doubt people like or dislike the pixar short film area and i feel it would be a good area to put inside out instead of the journey pavilion; (Also does anyone know if the pixar short thing is suppose to be permeant or was it a temporary thing)

shortstop

was wondering if anyone knew if the pixar short film thing was still gonna be around for the next couple of years if (i was there last week) and thought maybe that can be a good spot for inside out instead of using the imagination pavalion so inside out can be like a theatre show like M.I.L.F (like have joy sadness and the gang) interating with guess in Rileys mind. The reasons I say this is because I doubt people like or dislike the pixar short film area and i feel it would be a good area to put inside out instead of the journey pavilion; (Also does anyone know if the pixar short thing is suppose to be permeant or was it a temporary thing)
That’s a good thought. I don’t think we have heard anything one way or another about the Pixar Shorts, but I would be shocked if it was part of the long-term plan for the Imagination pavilion to keep them around.

DisneyGentlemanV2.0

So yeah...

How about that Imagination Pavillion, huh?

It really is indeed depressing to think that the current incarnation of the ride through Attraction has now been there longer then the Original.

So, so wrong....in so many ways.

:hungover:

-
It says alot when Imagination is trashed and the best we can do is Play.

Futurewasteland is transforming into wall-to-wall IP, and World Showcase has devolved into Drunktopia.

What's next? Deabaucheryland?

Amidala

My concept is different because it’s not education dressed up as entertainment. It’s pure entertainment. Each emotion is explored creatively with amazing colors that can interact with the vehicle. It’s not about inspiration as that isn’t the goal. It’s to give the audience an amazing time as they identify with the over saturated colors of each emotion and characters as shown in the movie.

Inside Out very deliberately sets out to educate its audience, more so than your typical Pixar movie, so stripping the movie down to "colorful and entertaining" seems...super counter-productive to me. The "goal" was to teach young kids about the consequences of suppressing their emotions and how to manage negative emotions like anger and sadness in healthy ways...not to mention exposing kids to real-life psychological concepts like abstract thought in a way that's easy to understand. I would hope an Inside Out ride in FW would carry on the tradition of edutainment, not step back from it.

Personally I would have liked to see an Inside Out attraction in Wonders of Life...it's basically the spiritual successor to Cranium Command (officially, according to Pete Docter) but I guess that ship has sailed. Still not really clear on why you're so opposed to a new Figment attraction? The picture you paint of the parks and consumers (where originality is no longer viable, and everything must be injected with an IP to keep guests engaged) is so bleak...Iger may favor IP-based rides, but that doesn't mean original rides are totally incapable of drawing interest, full stop. Dark rides with original concepts are still going strong elsewhere...Mystic Manor, Sinbad, etc. Guests will embrace non-IP rides if they offer an enjoyable, high-quality experience. And Figment (like others have already said) benefits from 36 years of history at the parks...no one is claiming he's as popular as Iron Man, but Disney is still successfully merchandising him. The demand is clearly still there to some extent.

DanielBB8

Inside Out very deliberately sets out to educate its audience, more so than your typical Pixar movie, so stripping the movie down to "colorful and entertaining" seems...super counter-productive to me. The "goal" was to teach young kids about the consequences of suppressing their emotions and how to manage negative emotions like anger and sadness in healthy ways...not to mention exposing kids to real-life psychological concepts like abstract thought in a way that's easy to understand. I would hope an Inside Out ride in FW would carry on the tradition of edutainment, not step back from it.

Personally I would have liked to see an Inside Out attraction in Wonders of Life...it's basically the spiritual successor to Cranium Command (officially, according to Pete Docter) but I guess that ship has sailed. Still not really clear on why you're so opposed to a new Figment attraction? The picture you paint of the parks and consumers (where originality is no longer viable, and everything must be injected with an IP to keep guests engaged) is so bleak...Iger may favor IP-based rides, but that doesn't mean original rides are totally incapable of drawing interest, full stop. Dark rides with original concepts are still going strong elsewhere...Mystic Manor, Sinbad, etc. Guests will embrace non-IP rides if they offer an enjoyable, high-quality experience. And Figment (like others have already said) benefits from 36 years of history at the parks...no one is claiming he's as popular as Iron Man, but Disney is still successfully merchandising him. The demand is clearly still there to some extent.
Inside Out is NOT edutainment. Not even close. It’s completely fictional. A fantasy of how we might imagine emotions should be like in our brains. The story will completely fall apart upon scrutiny so it’ll be a mistake to sell it as education. In the movie, it suggests that if someone was pushed beyond, there’s no return. That’s absolutely absurd, but it’s great drama. It’s not responsible to turn Inside Out into an education in a mere 5 minutes attraction. It won’t work. You’ll turn the kids into basket cases literally. The movie requires 40 minutes to develop the character before they transitioned to the brain. This is lost in an attraction.

The constant refrain that IP is not creative while touting the revival of similar yet outdated attractions like Cranium Command and characters like Figment is the definition of lacking in originality. They can’t make those concepts work. IP with timeless Disney franchises work in Disney theme parks. Attractions can become IP too, but it’s easier to work with proven characters. Figment merchandise sales prove it could be sold, but it’s own attraction has failed in 3 incarnations. Failing again is a waste of resources. You love Figment so much you can’t let it go. They should just turn it into a meet and greet.

Wonders of Life: Huh? Can we stop pretending? It’s Play Pavilion.

Last edited:

pdude81

Inside Out is NOT edutainment. Not even close. It’s completely fictional. A fantasy of how we might imagine emotions should be like in our brains. The story will completely fall apart upon scrutiny so it’ll be a mistake to sell it as education. In the movie, it suggests that if someone was pushed beyond, there’s no return. That’s absolutely absurd, but it’s great drama. It’s not responsible to make turn Inside Out into an education in a mere 5 minutes attraction. It won’t work. You’ll turn the kids into basket cases literally. The movie requires 40 minutes to develop the character before they transitioned to the brain. This is lost in an attraction.

The constant refrain that IP is not creative while touting the revival of similar yet outdated attractions like Cranium Command and characters like Figment is the definition of lacking in originality. They can’t make those concepts work. IP with timeless Disney franchises work in Disney theme parks. Attractions can become IP too, but it’s easier to work with proven characters. Figment merchandise sales prove it could be sold, but it’s own attraction has failed in 3 incarnations. Failing again is a waste of resources. You love Figment so much you can’t let it go. They should just turn it into a meet and greet.

In what way did the original fail?

DanielBB8

Temporarily. And let's not forget that Cranium Command still hasn't been touched.
When will it be touched?

I read that the Inside Out characters might be included in the Play Pavilion. It wouldn’t be odd to convert Cranium Command into Inside Out, but it’ll could be a fun video game type attraction instead of education.

Amidala

Inside Out is NOT edutainment. Not even close. It’s completely fictional. A fantasy of how we might imagine emotions should be like in our brains. The story will completely fall apart upon scrutiny so it’ll be a mistake to sell it as education. It’s not responsible to turn Inside Out into an education in a mere 5 minutes attraction. It won’t work. You’ll turn the kids into basket cases literally. The movie requires 40 minutes to develop the character before they transitioned to the brain. This is lost in an attraction.

I never claimed IO was edutainment; I said it had educational elements that could easily be translated into an edutainment-based ride, depending on the approach taken by WDI. IO uses fantastical metaphors to convey meaningful lessons which...yes, seems very much in the spirit of edutainment from where I’m standing. Children (especially older ones) won’t come away from IO believing there are tiny people living in their brains, but some may better understand how to manage their emotions in a healthy way. Is it really so difficult to imagine a scenario where Joy, Sadness et al. take guests on the colorful, entertaining ride you proposed with some tidbits about psychology or the human brain sprinkled in? Or is it that you think modern-day children will run in horror the moment they learn a single fact? I’m not understanding.

In the movie, it suggests that if someone was pushed beyond, there’s no return. That’s absolutely absurd, but it’s great drama.

I don’t really understand where you’re getting this from. The final act of the movie undermines this point completely. Riley is pretty clearly not beyond help, she goes home to her parents and explains that she’s been repressing her feelings; they apologize for making her feel pressured to do so. Riley is shown joining a new hockey team, making friends and in general becoming a happier, more active and well-adjusted kid...almost like there’s an educational takeaway about the importance of accepting (rather than repressing) your emotions and seeking help from a parent or guardian if things become too much...

Where have I ever said IP-based rides were inherently uncreative? The execution determines a ride, not the concept...but there should be a place for both IP and original rides at the parks. Is that controversial? I agree that an IO ride would be great; I don’t agree that it necessarily must replace Figment in order to exist & also don’t agree that it’s somehow ludicrous for an IO ride to have educational value.

In what way was the original Figment ride a failure? As in...what data is there to suggest the original attraction was replaced because it was disliked and in dire need of an overhaul, and not because of poor decision making at the exec level? Genuinely curious. What is it about Figment in particular that you feel would automatically doom even a modern version with a solid budget, while attractions based on completely original characters with no previous/existing presence in the parks (Sinbad, Mystic Manor, etc. as mentioned) do just fine?

I’m not clinging to Figment. I don’t like the current iteration and have only seen the original in videos. I think I’m speaking from a pretty practical place when I say that removing the only attraction based on a character who’s widely seen as the “mascot” of this park (& again, merchandising seems to reflect this) at least deserves some closer consideration...

I’m not? I thought IO would be a good fit for Wonders of Life and said “that ship has sailed” because it no longer exists.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom