Rumor Inside Out to Replace Journey into Imagination with Figment?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You can do whatever you want. But look deep within and you'll know the truth. Figment is an annoying twerp whose ride looks like it belongs in Universal Studios.

It's filled with screens, bad acting and even worse animatronics. It's more akin to "The Cat in the Hat" than "any of the Great Disney dark rides".
Does that mean that the companies mistakes are an excuse not to make an amazing, original ride again?

Phicinfan

You can do whatever you want. But look deep within and you'll know the truth. Figment is an annoying twerp whose ride looks like it belongs in Universal Studios.

It's filled with screens, bad acting and even worse animatronics. It's more akin to "The Cat in the Hat" than "any of the Great Disney dark rides".
I will grant you the current ride is bad, where I think most disagree is your view on the IP being dead. The IP is not only the ride, as you can see how Figment is used more and more by Epcot. I will add there is no Imagination tie in with Inside out. So to move to that IP, you have to rename the pavilion, not saying that can't be done, look at Energy. However, Figment is an integral part of Epcot history, I would argue more than Timekeeper is, but that is just me and I can see both sides. I don't disagree that they could rename Imagination and put Inside out in there....that doesn't make it right. It makes it what they could do.

I am a HUGE Figment fan, and would hate to see him disappear completely.

britain

I know what you're saying, but Figment works if he's paired with Dreamfinder. They're yin and yang.

CaptainAmerica

I’ll ask.
giphy.gif

britain

No. But it seems per your own admittance, Disney sees only Disney IP. I just hope they don't forget that Figment IS Disney IP.

It's not a matter of Disney IP. It's a matter of IP popular enough that a split second of an appearance in a commercial will prompt masses to say, "Sure, I like X. I'd like to go on an X ride."

Island at the Top of the World is Disney IP, and wouldn't budge the needle.
Guardians of the Galaxy is Marvel IP, but really moves the needle.

Figment only moves the needle for a segment of nostalgic fans. That is worth something, but without proper caretaking, it is eroding away.

Mac Tonight

It doesn’t matter beans to Chapek. He’ll throw whatever into anywhere. Think they preserved the theme of Energy for Guardians? I wouldn’t be surprised at a god damn wreck it ralph ride in here, let alone Inside Out which at least vaguely ties into Imagination.
Did someone mention beans? I prefer the baked variety. Straight outta the can.

CaptainAmerica

It's not a matter of Disney IP. It's a matter of IP popular enough that a split second of an appearance in a commercial will prompt masses to say, "Sure, I like X. I'd like to go on an X ride."

Island at the Top of the World is Disney IP, and wouldn't budge the needle.
Guardians of the Galaxy is Marvel IP, but really moves the needle.
This is a major oversell on the importance of IP as a draw. (Note I'm not talking about IP versus no IP, I'm talking about headliner IP versus obscure IP).

How many people have any clue what Song of the South is even after riding Splash Mountain? Yet it's still one of the most prominent attractions featured in advertising.

britain

This is a major oversell on the importance of IP as a draw. (Note I'm not talking about IP versus no IP, I'm talking about headliner IP versus obscure IP).

How many people have any clue what Song of the South is even after riding Splash Mountain? Yet it's still one of the most prominent attractions featured in advertising.

It is only used in advertisements as a very clear cut example of what to expect at Disney: Happy families going down a photogenic waterfall. So sure, if you want to build an Island at the Top of the World attraction that in a split second sells as clearly as a few glimpses of people going down Splash Mountain, you can.

But whatever you come up with would be 10x more compelling to the masses if the exact same hypothetical ride was tied to a popular IP.

MickeyMouse10

As has been posted before, Figment is an IP. Used to be a perfect one too. Until the mistakes began.

Alright then let me float this question out there. Say Disney is trying to advertise to bring in new visitors to the parks. What would make families who've never gone to Disney World want to go?

A. a new Figment ride

or

B. a new Inside Out ride

CaptainAmerica

Alright then let me float this question out there. Say Disney is trying to advertise to bring in new visitors to the parks. What would make families who've never gone to Disney World want to go?

A. a new Figment ride

or

B. a new Inside Out ride
Neither Figment nor Inside Out is a prominent enough attraction to ever make a TV spot, so it's irrelevant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom