Rumor Inside Out to Replace Journey into Imagination with Figment?

RSoxNo1

I don’t know how horizons would have aged... at some point it would have become pretty laughable. Sadly, that’s not where the future is headed.

World of Motion is a real shame, as it told the history of transportation (like spaceship earth). It should have never been replaced in my opinion, but rather test track could have been built around it.

Figment has survived so far, I’m guessing the play pavilion was a bullet that figment dodged... so I feel there is some hope. But we will see.
Keeping any of the original Future Worlds as they were on opening day would have been a mistake. The park needed to evolve, but the piecemeal evolution with no long term plan has meant the park has been in a downward spiral since 1997.

RSoxNo1

Actually, I'd love to see Zootopia in Animal. If Dinoland and Expedition Everest can be in this park than why not Zootopia? Sure people have said they are too human-like, but that can really be said about many Disney Animals.
I have yet to hear a story pitch for Zootopia from any fan that appropriately ties to Animal Kingdom's themes. For clarification here is what I'm referring to:
  • The intrinsic and superior value of nature - this means that nature, above all else is at the forefront of the design. This leads to parts of the park being out of their true control (live animals, overgrown pathways, etc.).
  • Transformation through adventure - this idea is that adventure changes people when they experience something they've never experienced before.
  • Personal call to action - a sense of responsibility for the animals and the conservation message.

brb1006

Let's not be sentimental about Figment, it's time to let go of that sinking ship. Sure he may sell some merch here and there, but many people in the world have never even heard of him.

I'm alright with IP's if it fits with the land and pavilions and "Inside Out" fits. It is way more relevant than Figment is nowadays. Disney just made a new ride, eateries and merch for it in DCA.

Besides Figment jumped the shark over a decade ago. It's time to let his little spark go out permanently.
What about the Figment comics by Marvel?

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I have yet to hear a story pitch for Zootopia from any fan that appropriately ties to Animal Kingdom's themes. For clarification here is what I'm referring to:
  • The intrinsic and superior value of nature - this means that nature, above all else is at the forefront of the design. This leads to parts of the park being out of their true control (live animals, overgrown pathways, etc.).
  • Transformation through adventure - this idea is that adventure changes people when they experience something they've never experienced before.
  • Personal call to action - a sense of responsibility for the animals and the conservation message.

That pitch was likely done during the discussions for a Zootopia sequel. Those themes can be worked to fit. The same way Frozen 2 is pushing Norse mythology. Disney will find a way to make it work. They're masters at shoehorning IP regardless of what we as fans may think.

That said: I don't want Inside Out in Imagination! ;)

TrainsOfDisney

Keeping any of the original Future Worlds as they were on opening day would have been a mistake. The park needed to evolve, but the piecemeal evolution with no long term plan has meant the park has been in a downward spiral since 1997.

Did you think I was suggesting that an attraction couldn’t be refurbished? I feel like current spaceship earth is a great example of how an attraction should be refreshed, and yet still remains a classic attraction. Living with the land shows it’s age only in transition areas where the music and projections are painfully dated (oddly one of the easiest things to update).

The primeval world still worked every bit as good as day 1 when it came to entertaining guests, the rest of the energy pavilion did need a serious update.

I feel like the original figment and the world of motion would have passsed the test of time quite well.

tl77

I feel like the original figment and the world of motion would have passed the test of time quite well.

I totally agree, World of Motion and the original Journey into Imagination were the 2 most timeless attractions in Future World, and both got replace because the sponsors, GM and Kodak, wanted something new. I think the core story of both would still hold up forever with occasional updates to effects and scenery, similar to how The Haunted Mansion has evolved over time, but the original voice recordings of The Ghost Host and Madame Leota I think is the heart of the attraction. I can't imagine the World of Motion with out Gary Owens' narration and if they brought back the original story and original voices of Dream Finder and Figment but upgraded the visual elements, I think that original Journey into Imagination ride would always be popular like The Haunted Mansion

MickeyMouse10

I'm not sure how to react to this but I think you are missing the point. The Original Imagination would still be held in the highest even today because of its ride system and mechanics. Nobody will argue that updates would be necessary along the way, but Figment still has a future (HUGE future) if Disney wanted him to. Imagination in its current state is regrettable, that has been known for years now.

I'm not missing the point, maybe you should read my posts more clearly. I said Disney is not going to bring back the original Figment. They are much more likely to put in a new IP that actually matters to the mainstream fans.

MickeyMouse10

All that matters is that they are Animals and they make Disney money. Dinoland U.S.A and Everest have nothing to do with nature, one is a cheap off the shelf carnival land. While Everest is about a mythical beast who wants to kill people.

Also Beastly Kingdom if it would have been made would have had talking bats, a dragon and dancing animals in the Fantasia boat ride.

tumblr_lu5lzmCtGU1r5gpzmo1_500.gif

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Let's not be sentimental about Figment, it's time to let go of that sinking ship. Sure he may sell some merch here and there, but many people in the world have never even heard of him.

I'm alright with IP's if it fits with the land and pavilions and "Inside Out" fits. It is way more relevant than Figment is nowadays. Disney just made a new ride, eateries and merch for it in DCA.

Besides Figment jumped the shark over a decade ago. It's time to let his little spark go out permanently.

I'm not missing the point, maybe you should read my posts more clearly. I said Disney is not going to bring back the original Figment. They are much more likely to put in a new IP that actually matters to the mainstream fans.

Hmm, yes you are missing point but I was mainly pointing out the absurdity of your original comments conventantly posted above. How is it that Figment still sells a ton of merch? How is it that my 8 year niece is obsessed with Figment? Not because he's on TV or in any movies she would she, but because of Epcot. Not everything has to be marketed for "the world" as you stated above, but Figment certainly has a strong presence at Epcot. You really think Figment "jumped the shark" a decade ago, so 2009? What is your point or reference or really proof of that? Hyperbole I suppose?

MickeyMouse10

Hmm, yes you are missing point but I was mainly pointing out the absurdity of your original comments conventantly posted above. How is it that Figment still sells a ton of merch? How is it that my 8 year niece is obsessed with Figment? Not because he's on TV or in any movies she would she, but because of Epcot. Not everything has to be marketed for "the world" as you stated above, but Figment certainly has a strong presence at Epcot. You really think Figment "jumped the shark" a decade ago, so 2009? What is your point or reference or really proof of that? Hyperbole I suppose?

Let me simplify it for you TJ. With my posts, many of which you didn't want to bring up because it went against your point.

Say it is the same exact ride format, but it has either "Inside Out" or "Figment" as its theming. Then who takes the Prize? The purple dragon that isn't as known or "Inside Out", a mega blockbuster hit, that will eventually spawn sequels?
Alright then let me float this question out there. Say Disney is trying to advertise to bring in new visitors to the parks. What would make families who've never gone to Disney World want to go?

A. a new Figment ride

or

B. a new Inside Out ride
Inside Out made $857.6 million and is the highest grossing nonsequel Pixar film ever.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Like Song of the South and The Twilight Zone really damage their attractions.

IP can be inconsequential if the attraction is done right and is in the right place.

Kman101

Let me simplify it for you TJ. With my posts, many of which you didn't want to bring up because it went against your point.

So because you don't like Figment in it's current version, you then project said feelings onto all the guests. I've got some news for you. Figment sells merchandise (the comic books from a few years ago shocked execs at how well it sold). Figment as a character is actually well-liked and this is based off of Disney survey results. THOSE as I'm aware, and If anyone can correct me, please do, are the facts. So please stop talking in facts because you don't know what the average guest wants. You're talking about what *you* want, and there's nothing wrong with that, just be honest about what *you* want and stop painting it as if that's what everyone wants (and a lot of folks could learn to practice this ... maybe myself too at times)

And just so you're also aware, there are likely multiple proposals for a ride revamp that INCLUDE Figment. So, again, stop talking as if you know things. You don't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom