Rumor Inside Out to Replace Journey into Imagination with Figment?

jt04

I loved the original version. Please bring it back in full. It’s sad that they cut it down 30%. It was a classic. Unfortunately even 20 years ago, it was poorly attended. The Dreamfinder animatronic was old and dirty. It was due a major rehab, but it was rehabbed out of existence. It’s a good candidate for comeback. However, that’s not how things work in today’s Disney. Money talks. Corporate sponsorships gave us the original and it took it away just the same. Disney is in charge and it will want to promote current IP.

You are correct that letting maintenance slide was a reason it was poorly attended. But mostly it was a case of 'been there, done that' for a lot of guests. That is just the truth of the matter.

Future World was never meant to be nostalgic.

trainplane3

Speaking of this, Ron shared this slightly old interview with Tony from 2015: https://themacgyverproject.blogspot.com/2015/12/tony-baxter-conversation.html
I thought it was a worth a share.
NS: What was the primary motivation for scrapping the ride?

TB: There was some politics in it. They were tired of the show. It was due to be rehabbed, and I think the person in charge saw it as a time that they could show their own creativity. But the danger of that is if you don't understand why something works and who your audience is and what the effect will be on that audience if you damage it -- you have to consider all those things.

And so much of the money they had was spent on taking out rather than putting back in. The removal of the turntable alone was a million dollars just to take it out. That's crazy. Why not enhance it or make something better? All the projections behind the dream vehicles were slides for the most part, and that all could have been done in gorgeous digital stuff. It was foolish decisions spending maybe half of the budget just to remove the track and the ride system and the turntables -- why not spend that money to make the show better? I just couldn't understand that.

And the Image Works upstairs gave it a kind of protected environment whereas now when you just pass by the things they're just sort of like second rate exhibits in the Innoventions. You don't really pay attention to them. But when you went upstairs to the Image Works, it was like going to Tom Sawyer's Island or like a magical place.

NS: What do you think is the future of the pavilion, because it seems that no one is totally happy with it the way it is now.

TB: The best thing for me is that they're now in the second Figment series of comic books for Marvel, and I just think someone in the studio should wake up and say, "Let's do a Figment animated feature film." It seems like a natural. You've got people who already know the character, and it's Disney so you don't have to pay anything to own it. I'd do the film and then based on the success of the film, I would then look at how do we now honor this movie and this character by making a new ride that's really really good and plays to the story, not just putting a rubber doll along a track that is shaped like a dragon and is purple. That doesn't mean anything -- it has to be a character that you understand who it is and what they do and how they think.

I have a story where I have a little Winnie the Pooh doll and a teddy bear, and the teddy bear is clearly more expensive and better made than the Disney Pooh bear. I say, "Which one has the appeal," and everyone points at Winnie the Pooh because you hear how he talks, you know how he moves, you care about him and all that stuff. So it doesn't matter that the stitches and the fabric on the teddy bear are better because you care about the emotion. And that's what you lost with the Figment you have now -- it has no emotion and you need to be able to build that back again.

eliza61nyc

I'm starting to generally hate the Disney fanbase. It seems like nowadays fewer people care about what made Disney great compared to just a few years ago, and most people are infatuated with the latest trend. Not to mention the uptick in people that only care about reviewing overpriced cupcakes and buying the newest t shirt. The ignorance among some Disney "fans" regarding issues like JII is just mind blowing as well. This site is probably one of the only places left on the internet where there is still a large amount of the "old style" fans, but sadly I am starting to see some of them leave only to be replaced with the new "hip" crowd.

I guess it's not that surprising that Disney is considering a complete removal, because the people that actually give a crap about this have already mostly given up, making the rest of us a minority. To be honest, I don't know how much longer I'll be interested in Disney myself considering the way things have been going lately. I'm certainly not part of their target audience anymore.

Wow!!
so because they don't like what you like that some how makes them "ignorant" and deserving of "hatred". :rolleyes: Now I haven't brought an overpriced "cupcake" lol in 20 years but I admit that I don't have this love affair with circa 1970 Disney. I did not know there was some litmus test to being a disney "fan", that one was required to like a certain character or old ride in order to qualified.

Now I have no idea why Disney did not maintain these glorious rides, I'm not an insider and again I did not go during those glorious years but when some thing gets old boring and tired, I don't care how great it "used" to be, NOW it's old, boring and tired. Is figment as popular now as it was when you were a kid??? Maybe you have answered your own question, if the people that like the ride are a very small "minority" that's the problem. Don't blame the newer guest or called them "ignorant" because they are not living in 1979 and like some thing that is different.
Because they don't particularly like an old ride does not mean they don't give a "crap". maybe they see it as garbage and think it's a waste.

you see "ignorance", I see "arrogance" to feel that what you feel is worthwhile is the only way. 😕 and I know I am in the minority and will get flamed, and yes I know I can't possibly know how glorious Epcot was back in the day.

maybe the "current" hip crowd did not experience the original figment and it's obvious Disney is not going to bring it back, so what is the alternative??

HMF

I guess it's not that surprising that Disney is considering a complete removal, because the people that actually give a crap about this have already mostly given up, making the rest of us a minority. To be honest, I don't know how much longer I'll be interested in Disney myself considering the way things have been going lately. I'm certainly not part of their target audience anymore.
Having just returned from the World myself, I have the same feeling.

Ismael Flores

this is one building in Epcot future workd that i really like. i really hope they just gut it and reuse it.
Im afraid of what a new building would look like if themed to an IP

Inspired Figment

More and more instances of it being a walk on and being told directly. Helps to look at the evidence minus personal biases.
While I would say attendance may have dipped a little (as it always goes for most rides). the interesting part about that is almost every video I’ve seen of the original ride... including ones taken in 1998. It was almost always full. The only times it may not had have been full was perhaps at night during near closing or during ropedrop right when the park opened. The lines may not have been out the door, but it certainly had a longer line that the current attraction does now.
You also have to remember that part of the reason why lines weren’t the largest for this and other rides similar to it are because of the capacity and how it ran. Originally it was Omnimovers that were in constant motion (similar to the Haunted Mansion). Not to mention it was a long ride, so it had quite the number of capacity.

Last edited:

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
this is one building in Epcot future workd that i really like. i really hope they just gut it and reuse it.
Im afraid of what a new building would look like if themed to an IP
Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Mission-Breakout-720x340.jpg

jt04

While I would say attendance may have dipped a little (as it always goes for most rides). the interesting part about that is almost every video I’ve seen of the original ride... including ones taken in 1998. It was almost always full. The only times it may not had have been full was perhaps at night during near closing. Lines may not have been out the door, but it certainly had a longer line that the current attraction does now.
You also have to remember that part of the reason why lines weren’t the largest for this and other rides similar to it are because of the capacity and how it ran. Originally it was Omnimovers that were in constant motion (similar to the Haunted Mansion). Not to mention it was a long ride, so it had quite the number of capacity.

1998 was way past the attractions prime. Problems extended back much further.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom