Innoventions West to Close in May?

yellowrocket

It also had good attention due to the DNA Structure that towered the skyline in the area..
wonders-of-life-pavilion.jpg

When this picture was taken, it had the giant rebar archway that showed people there was something up the path. WOL's location didnt doom it, but when they moved that arch to the MK parking lot, it's chance for survival certainly dwindled. I still have no idea why they moved that. It's not like they couldn't make a new one.

Acolli18

It would be awesome to see some new attraction or interactive exhibit space but regardless, the future is still moving forward. I can take my girls to Discovery World at the Milwaukee lakefront and they can experience cutting edge tech - like holding their hands under a green light that projects back onto the top of their hand their actual veins/arteries (in real time, you can see them pulsing). There are 3-D holograms and other cool things shown at CES in Vegas every year. It's that kind of "futuristic" stuff that inspires and that everyone misses seeing.

There are a lot of exhibits at Discovery World that would fit well in Innoventions. The first time we were there, it immediately reminded me of what Innoventions used to be, and what it still can be today...

ItlngrlBella

There are a lot of exhibits at Discovery World that would fit well in Innoventions. The first time we were there, it immediately reminded me of what Innoventions used to be, and what it still can be today...

1. Rent space out for meetings/special events and charge exhorbadant prices for venue rental, food & bev?

or

2. Set up displays they have to keep on top the technology of.

Sadly I think the greater public will get short changed by item #2.

Acolli18

1. Rent space out for meetings/special events and charge exhorbadant prices for venue rental, food & bev?

or

I mean, who doesn't love a nice space in Disney to rent out for an event...If only we all had that kind of money...

ItlngrlBella

I mean, who doesn't love a nice space in Disney to rent out for an event...If only we all had that kind of money...

Yes but the majority has to be corporate events. I worked in the corporate meeting and incentives industry for a little bit just after college graduation and we were booking EPCOT space several times a year and that was just for my little account group within the company. They have the old Millenium pavilion at World Showcase, there was a small space at Norway (offline now), there are smaller lounges at The Land and Test Track (at that time), WOL, Odessey, not to mention spaces after-hours at Living Seas in front of Aquariums for cocktail parties and such. I'm probably even missing some.

They have SO much space already at EPCOT, I'd rather see a new attraction or interactive Discovery World exhibits.

Last edited:

note2001

or

You're right. The initial premise of Future world was to do exactly that: to keep up with technology and keep it as an ongoing showcase of ideas. Unfortunately, business got in the way and those ideas were herded into a closet along with whomever was leading it. To keep it current and keep a simple investment of time and money involved, Disney must bring in third parties to help with the displays. Disney is known for innovation, but not necessarily for science (maybe in one case they are.) Managing groups of third parties is not really Disney's thing as you can tell with some of the entertainment being offered. They care much more about the quality of the show when it's their own people producing it.

What pains me more than innovations: the entire JII pavilion. I've said it before, so will keep it brief here: The entire Disney company is known for and based on imagination and entertainment. Their very existence is based on the same principals of this pavilion. And yet they've allowed the ride and displays to be butchered and mothballed, while adding a rancid icing on the cake by running an outdated, recycled movie. In a company that's constantly creating new entertainment, how hard would it be to change the movie over to a blog showing what's currently going on? This week's could feature the Avatar area in AK, next week they could talk about filming the movie for soarin'... etc. We don't need 3D effects to wow us anymore. We can get that at home. Just give us something to think on and get excited about.

Last edited:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Just for fun, I shall look on the bright side at this. Until I hear differently, I'm gonna pretend that this is happening, even though it almost certainly isn't.

Innoventions has strayed from its original intent and really didn't "fit" in "Future World" as it was (Piggy Bank was cute, but come on). So Disney realizes that a lot of work/rework is necessary, particularly as they lost IBM Think and the Underwriters Lab, two of the remaining exhibits that at least were on theme.

Separately, Disney acknowledges that housing festival central at the old WoL pavilion is far less than ideal, as the out of the way location makes it someplace that not many festival goers would venture into. This means less enjoyment of festivals and less sales of festival merchandise, amongst other things.

Also, Disney knows CoP needs a significant updating and overhaul to make it more relevant, and the building itself that houses CoP is nearing the end of its life.

So, the grand rearrangement is now set in motion. (Most of) Innoventions closes and will become festival central beginning with Food & Wine this year. It'll serve that purpose for Flower and Garden, Holidays around the World, and whatever other festival gets added, giving it almost year-round use. In between, it can be used for special events that are open to all guests, like Super Bowl, World Cup, and Olympic viewing with merchandise and drinking opportunities.

CoP then gets its overhaul and moves into the WoL pavilion, a rumor that we have already heard (although one I don't really believe, but I'm trying to be optimistic). There is enough space in the pavilion (old Body Wars and Cranium Command show areas included) to have the new Innoventions/Progressland in there as well. CoP takes you through the history of technology up through the current day, and then surrounding exhibits allow you to play with the new stuff and see what's coming soon, like Innoventions was originally supposed to do. A renewed "House of the Future" or whatever it's called, would be part of the new exhibits.

And then, where CoP now stands in MK, we have room for the next great thing in the MK, themed to Tron, or Iron Man, or the new George Clooney movie, or something else.

Last edited:

Acolli18

Yes but the majority has to be corporate events. I worked in the corporate meeting and incentives industry for a little bit just after college graduation and we were booking EPCOT space several times a year and that was just for my little account group within the company. They have the old Millenium pavilion at World Showcase, there was a small space at Norway (offline now), there are smaller lounges at The Land and Test Track (at that time), WOL, Odessey, not to mention spaces after-hours at Living Seas in front of Aquariums for cocktail parties and such. I'm probably even missing some.

They have SO much space already at EPCOT, I'd rather see a new attraction or interactive Discovery World exhibits.
Trust me, I would also. My Monday morning sarcasm is in full swing. I hate all these event spaces...

Communicore

Just for fun, I shall look on the bright side at this. Until I hear differently, I'm gonna pretend that this is happening, even though it almost certainly isn't.

Innoventions has strayed from its original intent and really didn't "fit" in "Future World" as it was (Piggy Bank was cute, but come on). So Disney realizes that a lot work/rework was necessary, particularly as they lost IBM Think and the Underwriters Lab, two of the remaining exhibits that at least were on theme.

Separately, Disney acknowledges that housing festival central at the old WoL pavilion isfar less than ideal, as the out of the way location made it someplace that not many festival goers would venture into. This means less enjoyment of festivals and less sales of festival merchandise, amongst other things.

Also, Disney knows CoP needs a significant updating and overhaul to make it more relevant, and the building itself that houses CoP is nearing the end of its life.

So, the grand rearrangement is now set in motion. (Most of) Innoventions closes and will become festival central beginning with Food & Wine this year. It'll serve that purpose for Flower and Garden, Holidays around the World, and whatever other festival gets added, giving it almost year-round use. In between, it can be used for special events that are open to all guests, like Super Bowl, World Cup, and Olympic viewing with merchandise and drinking opportunities.

CoP then gets its overahaul and moves into the WoL pavilion, a rumor that we have already heard (although one I don't really believe, but I'm trying to be optimistic). There is enough space in the pavilion (old Body Wars and Cranium Command show areas included) to have the new Innoventions/Progressland in there as well. CoP takes you through the history of technology up through the current day, and then surrounding exhibits allow you to play with the new stuff and see what's coming soon, like Innoventions was originally supposed to do. A renewed "House of the Future" or whatever it's called, would be part of the new exhibits.

And then, where CoP now stands in MK, we have room for the next great thing in the MK, themed to Tron, or Iron Man, or the new George Clooney movie, or something else.
Come to think of it, WOL could be the new Innoventions, I mean the old Coach's Corner, Wonder Cycle, Sensory Funhouse etc. are sort of like Innoventions.

ULPO46

Just turn it into the world's largest Apple Store already. It would reduce the lines for Soarin', at least.
It's a nice idea but after spending enough already to get into EPCOt, why would anyone want to buy Apple Products. I'm sure foreign tourist would buy, but since according to this forum repeats are the majority of guest, Why would Apple Inc. build anything on WDWR property? Just out of curiosity i have been seeing a lot more about this apple store.

Last edited:

dizneycrazy09

It's a nice idea but after spending enough already to get into EPCOt, why would anyone want to buy Apple Products. I'm sure foreign tourist would buy, but since accruing to this forum repeats are the majority of guest, Why would Apple Inc. build anything on WDWR property? Just out of curiosity i have been seeing a lot more about this apple store.

I think these posts are qualified with the slightest bit of cynicism...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom