In search of a puppy...

ILUVTHEMOUSE

Here is a pic of our girls. We got the long haired from the dog pound and the short haired was dumped out when she was a very small puppy. They are both great with the kids. I would recommend a shelter or rescue dog. There are so many dogs out there that need good homes. I'm glad you're considering that option. Good Luck :wave:

thumbnail1.jpg

Tigggrl

Hi Zac! I am totally jealous, because I am allergic to dogs, but I have 2 cats who think they are children;)
Growing up, We raised Beagles, and had 3 English Bulldogs, German Shepherds and a Cocker Spaniel. Oh, and a Nasty poodle.
Yes, I was allergic and sick alll the time, but one of the English Bulldogs was my greatest protector.
I have to reccomend that you stay away from the English Bulldog if you plan on a family and kids. They are very much a one person dog, meaning that they attach themselves to one person.....and thats not good with small kids, as they tend to get jealous.
Beagles are fantastic and smart! They are however bred for hunting, so sometimes their nose gets away from them and the wander, and Howl.
I have to reccomend a Cocker Spaniel from my experience. But I personally would adopt. Just be careful of an older dog, or an active larger dog unless you have the time and patience to retrain any problems they might have, or dont have the time for exercise! A friend of mine has a HUGE chocolate lab, and he is a dear, but they really dont have time for his proper exercise!
Just my 2 cents on the breeds I know.
Best of luck and let us know!

sarahwiggles99

Hey there...

Late April/early May I'll be ready for a puppy and I'm just wondering what fellow dog owners suggest.

Here is my criteria...

1. It has to be good with young children.
2. It has to be good with cats.
3. I have a decent sized yard which I plan on installing an invisible fence around.
4. I don't want a yelper...
5. Size doesn't matter :lookaroun
6. I'm not into froo-froo dogs (Shih-Tsu's, Bichon Frise, etc.)

Right now...the top 3 on my list are...

1. German Shepherd
2. English Bulldog
3. Boxer

FYI i used to think Shih-Tsu;s were froo froo dogs and i really like family dogs (sheepdogs, labs, etc.) but on saturday i got a shih-tsu puppy and he is really smart playful, doesnt bark, okay with my 4 cats.

and he isnt froo froo.

:lookaroun
IMHO sheep dogs are really nice family dogs. ive had two in my childhood.really good with kids, very loving, and just awesomely cute. :)

Steamboat_Kevin

If you're not going to get a Corgi, I'd suggest a Lab.

Everything said about them on this thread has been true. Loyal, great towards kids, etc. etc. I love my good old yellow lab.

Or how about a Komondor?

komondor-val.jpg

:lookaroun

diddy_mouse

okay, I am putting my vote in for a corgi...mainly because I want one myself. :lookaroun I just fell in love with those little lowriders! But I am curious, if you get a puppy from a breeder do they assume you want a show dog? :shrug:

pinkrose

Couldn't have said it better. Labs are loyal to a fault. Nothing but love and protection from them and ours love cats.

That's how our Golden is. Jasmine hasn't reached the "love the cats" stage though, or should I say that they cats haven't reached the "love the dog" stage. Jasmine wants to play with them, but they don't care to play with her. :lol:

WDWFREAK53

Original Poster
That's how our Golden is. Jasmine hasn't reached the "love the cats" stage though, or should I say that they cats haven't reached the "love the dog" stage. Jasmine wants to play with them, but they don't care to play with her. :lol:

I don't mind that! I just don't want the dog attacking, chasing, scaring, eating.... the cats :lol:

Nemo14

I don't mind that! I just don't want the dog attacking, chasing, scaring, eating.... the cats :lol:
We have 3 cats with our Golden, and they all love her - quite often you'll see them snuggling with her. When we went on vacation a friend of ours took Kody for the week, and their cat was the same way with her. She's such a great dog.

Gucci65

I would go with the German Shephard. Love those dogs, they are wonderful around children and very loyal. Good companions.

As with any breed, you just need to get all the information you can about the dogs parents.

Good luck!!!!

Erika

I've known 3 dogs who were part lab, part golden retriever and all 3 of them were extremely good around kids and cats alike. Just a really good mix and you can easily predict the size. Good dispositions, very sweet, although for some reason all 3 of them were a little less than bright. I have video of one of them running headfirst into a wooden fence during a game of fetch :ROFLOL:

M childhood dog was a cocker-border collie mix and she was such a good girl.
wub.gif

Tramp

M childhood dog was a cocker-border collie mix and she was such a good girl.
wub.gif

One of my neighbors has a border collie and its the cutest and funniest little dog. When my neighbor walks it, it runs about 20 feet ahead and then lies down and waits. As my neighbor gets close to him, he circles him and then runs ahead another 20 feet and waits. He does this the entire time he's being walked. I suppose it's doing what God intended it to do but instead of herding sheep, it's trying to herd it's master.

My daughter and wife have been after me to replace a recently lost pet, aka family member, but I've been hesitant cuz you know who gets the job of taking the pet outside and giving it a bath....ME. :shrug:

Are there any hairless dogs out there that only need to p00p once a week or so? :lol:

WDWFREAK53

Original Poster
Are there any hairless dogs out there that only need to p00p once a week or so? :lol:

I'm assuming the word was "bathe" :lookaroun

EDIT: You edited so this makes no sense now :lol:

Labs as a breed aren't the brightest dogs in the kennel.
Isn't the Golden Retriever a Lab? It's weird because every lab I know is extremely dumb...runs into things, thinks "sit" means to run around the coffee table 8 times and then run to the front door and bark. That being said...I know 2 different people that have Goldens and they are the most well-behaved dogs.

Tramp...have you knocked up any fine Ladies? :lookaroun

jesserin

I'm suprised nobody's mentioned a Great Dane yet... we adopted a 7 y/o ex breeder total sweetie pie. He was a complete "lap" dog and very gentle around kids and kitties. They're gorgeous dogs and if you train them when they're young, they're amazingly obediant. He never tugged on his leash (really didn't need one at all, but for those darn leash laws) and they're the most loving and cuddly dogs you'll ever meet. Our big guy would back up to the sofa and sit his tush on the couch with all four paws still on the ground - and watch TV with us like that. :lol: They're characters! That's for sure!

If you like labs and bigger dogs... be sure to check into adopting a dane, or even a dane/lab mix. They're really beautiful and so much fun. I loved going swimming with Tucker. He made a great floatie. :lookaroun :lol: SO FUN! The only downside to Danes is that they usually don't live longer than 13 years. :(

WDWFREAK53

Original Poster
I'm suprised nobody's mentioned a Great Dane yet... we adopted a 7 y/o ex breeder total sweetie pie. He was a complete "lap" dog and very gentle around kids and kitties. They're gorgeous dogs and if you train them when they're young, they're amazingly obediant. He never tugged on his leash (really didn't need one at all, but for those darn leash laws) and they're the most loving and cuddly dogs you'll ever meet. Our big guy would back up to the sofa and sit his tush on the couch with all four paws still on the ground - and watch TV with us like that. :lol: They're characters! That's for sure!

If you like labs and bigger dogs... be sure to check into adopting a dane, or even a dane/lab mix. They're really beautiful and so much fun. I loved going swimming with Tucker. He made a great floatie. :lookaroun :lol: SO FUN! The only downside to Danes is that they usually don't live longer than 13 years. :(

They live THAT long? I heard their average is 8-9. 13 isn't all that young for a dog. (Although, my parent's dog is 13 and she's as active as the day we got her as a puppy)
A Great Dane Lapdog...hmm...

Speaking of Great Danes...I just ordered the Ugly Dachsund from Amazon :lol:

Erika

Generally the bigger the dog, the shorter the lifespan.

My family beagle is coming up on 15. She does have cancer but so far, no pain or other ill effects, so :shrug: who knows how long she has.

I thought that labs for the most part were thought to be pretty smart, but :shrug:

A golden retriever is not the same as a yellow lab, though many people confuse the two. Here they are side by side:

golden-retriever.jpg
yellow_lab.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom