In regard to Beast, Mermaid, & Indiana

Haymarket2008

I know I’m very much in the minority here, but to my mind, Voyage of the Little Mermaid (an early ’90s show that celebrates the first film of the Renaissance) beautifully captures the aesthetics and mood of a key moment in Disney history. Like other well-established shows at WDW that have been left pretty much unchanged, it reads to me as a classic whose very appeal is bound up with its vintage status. I’ll be very sad when it goes.

Despite my yearning for it to go, I do agree with the nostalgia effect. This, Tower and Muppet Vision seem like the true last vestiges of that specific time in Disney history. It's super early 90's and I love that about it.

LittleBuford

I agree. Any show that still ranks high with crowds should be a keeper until SWL calms down.

They do have at least 2 other theaters that are underutilized.

I think it should be a keeper forever! It is a relic of a very special time in Disney history and has, I think, successfully made the transition from outdated to classic.

jt04

I think it should be a keeper forever! It is a relic of a very special time in Disney history and has, I think, successfully made the transition from outdated to classic.

I was suggesting Moana could go to superstar or new multi-use. If Mermaid stays, they should spruce up the current theater. Wouldn't take much to add some magic.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I'd like to think they could rework the theater and offer different IP-based shows based on time of day. But I'm pretty sure the space is already busting at the seams and can't support more costumes and puppets. Keeping Mermaid around would be nice but there's no denying that other IP based shows could work well or better than Mermaid using the same black art principles. Aladdin, Moana, The Incredibles... would all look stunning! It's a shame they can't rotate out the shows and offer different experiences to guests throughout the day.

KBLovedDisney

I love Mermaid and nostalgia is very strong with this one, but I do feel it may have run its course or it just needs some major technological updates.

Then again, as I am writing that I start to tear up because seeing that show was one of my fondest memories I had as a kid of being with my late father on a Disney trip.

brb1006

I was mildly impressed with it when I saw it in 1994. It's now 2018, heading quickly into the 2020's, and it's not impressive to anyone but those who are desperate for entertainment. Or maybe just those who want to sit down for a bit.
Or to escape from the hot humidity (especially in the Summer seasons)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom