In regard to Beast, Mermaid, & Indiana

IMDREW

And is that refresh of Fantasmic! still coming? Imagine that mountain with the projections Disneyland uses. And I'd love to see the pocahontas segment replaced by Wreck-it-Ralph. Just imagine that mountain coming to life as Sugar Rush!

Freshee61

Conversely, Indy excluded, I think that BatB and Mermaid are embarrassingly outdated and should be removed immediately. Poor representation for the parks.
I couldn't disagree more with you and thats okay.
IMO real embarrassments to park is nemo ride - basically all projections & again Navi river ride with one pandora anamatronic and the rest projections.

Freshee61

AK has a nemo ride? I must've missed that one...

:banghead:
Please see statement again below which does does not contain park name -only references names of rides:rolleyes: ...
IMO real embarrassments to park is nemo ride - basically all projections & again Navi river ride with one pandora anamatronic and the rest projections.

Freshee61

Naaaa... IMO just a boat ride, add projections and 1 (one) anamatronic. IMO the boat ride thing was done far better already in its a small world & Pirates of the carribean. No comparison in my book.

GlacierGlacier

That's some projection system to re-create a forest and waterfall!
From what I've found, the short waterfall in one of the vignettes is actually a projection. Bubbles come up from underneath to provide the effect of water hitting water, but there's nothing actually flowing. That cuts down on maintenance.

Though I now think you're talking about the waterfall that hides the maintenance spur.

GlacierGlacier

Naaaa... IMO just a boat ride, add projections and 1 (one) anamatronic. IMO the boat ride thing was done far better already in its a small world & Pirates of the carribean. No comparison in my book.
I'm glad you clarified the number one for me.

If NRJ was the length of either IASW or POTC, I think your opinion would be different. NRJ has some absolutely amazing integrations between digital and physical effects. The frog-things, hopping from leaf to leaf, the various small animals either spinning or floating above your head, the multiplanar screens with physical props in front-between them, everything serves as a tech demo for how screens can be done very, very well.

Skibum1970

I'm glad you clarified the number one for me.

If NRJ was the length of either IASW or POTC, I think your opinion would be different. NRJ has some absolutely amazing integrations between digital and physical effects. The frog-things, hopping from leaf to leaf, the various small animals either spinning or floating above your head, the multiplanar screens with physical props in front-between them, everything serves as a tech demo for how screens can be done very, very well.

That's how POTC: Sunken Treasure appears to be as well. Perfect merging of physical sets and screens/projections.

Kman101

Tangled made the perfect replacement for BaTB. Sigh. I feel like they realized they could keep it going once the live action remake hit the screen. It's all about timing sometimes. Tangled deserves more. I'm really excited it's getting an attraction in Tokyo.

The Frozen sing-along should have replaced Voyage of the Little Mermaid instead of going into the Hyperion. The Hyperion should be hosting a real show. (And I don't hate the sing-along, it's comical with the two hosts and almost underrated in that regards but I just feel the main theater you see should host a better production).

Magenta Panther

And is that refresh of Fantasmic! still coming? Imagine that mountain with the projections Disneyland uses. And I'd love to see the pocahontas segment replaced by Wreck-it-Ralph. Just imagine that mountain coming to life as Sugar Rush!

Mmmmmaybe. I'd rather have Peter Pan.

LittleBuford

I know I’m very much in the minority here, but to my mind, Voyage of the Little Mermaid (an early ’90s show that celebrates the first film of the Renaissance) beautifully captures the aesthetics and mood of a key moment in Disney history. Like other well-established shows at WDW that have been left pretty much unchanged, it reads to me as a classic whose very appeal is bound up with its vintage status. I’ll be very sad when it goes.

Kman101

Tangled is my favorite of the new generation Disney animated films. B&TB is still Number ONE. For Pixar films, Ratatouille is tops as far as I'm concerned. Gonna have to go to Tokyo for that Tangled ride- one day. It deserves more than restrooms at the Magic Kingdom.

I love Tangled as well. I think Princess and the Frog is also fun and underrated but I really really enjoyed Tangled. But of course I have loads of attachment to Beauty, Aladdin, Lion King, Mermaid ... "my" Disney movies. EDIT: Toy Story remains my nostalgic favorite (even though the land leaves so much to be desired, sadly) but I love Rat too. UP. Wall-E. ... I have a hard time choosing. Cars is fun but nothing exactly too special. Plot is usually basic.

Though I have to say I really also liked Zootopia but I have a hard time placing it in any of the parks at WDW. Again, I think timing. But Tangled felt right up there to me with Mermaid, etc.

It does. Tokyo just slapped WDW across the face with a true New Fantasyland (in a different park, but still) AND a Beauty and the Beast ride. It makes me even more bitter over what we got. Though I appreciate a Mermaid presence (the ride could have been done better) and the Mine Train is OK (also should have been done better). Tokyo, one day I'm coming to visit you and I'll probably never leave ;) I'm gonna pop a tent and move right in ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom