In regard to Beast, Mermaid, & Indiana

Casper Gutman

Here’s a fun fact: BatB has existed for TWICE AS LONG as WOM did. Contemplate that for a moment.

BatB and LM were lackluster shows when they opened and have aged horribly. Live shows, even exceptional ones, should be changed every few years - that’s one of the advantages of live shows in a theme park. BatB and LM are physical manifestations of MGM’s neglect and emblems of how half-hearted the current “redo” really is. They should have been the first things changed (well, they should have been changed over twenty years ago, but the point stands).

mikejs78

Premium Member
Here’s a fun fact: BatB has existed for TWICE AS LONG as WOM did. Contemplate that for a moment.

BatB and LM were lackluster shows when they opened and have aged horribly. Live shows, even exceptional ones, should be changed every few years - that’s one of the advantages of live shows in a theme park. BatB and LM are physical manifestations of MGM’s neglect and emblems of how half-hearted the current “redo” really is. They should have been the first things changed (well, they should have been changed over twenty years ago, but the point stands).
As a rule I think live shows should have a 5 year lifetime max.. although one could argue that Indy and the shows in AK have more staying power.

Casper Gutman

As a rule I think live shows should have a 5 year lifetime max.. although one could argue that Indy and the shows in AK have more staying power.
Yup. It’s time for Indy to go, but it is specific and spectacular enough that it’s continued existence isn’t particularly galling. If the other MGM shows were changed, I’d even be fine with an updated Indy sticking around (I’d prefer the ride, though). Lion King is another big exception. It should be periodically updated, but it is strong enough to achieve a certain timelessness. The bird show should have been ripped out wholesale - it was always quite bad and now it’s worse.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I still can’t believe we’re in the situation where this desperate park hasn’t come up with an easy fix to these 3 problems. People visit as they have few choices...please stop using that to disguise this neglectful situation. All 3 need to go in one swoop.

Uhhh... one at a time please. No need to cut out more than half the shows at once. That kind of drastic action was necessary to get all the other rides ready before the SWL onslaught. There's no need to do that for shows.

RSoxNo1

Uhhh... one at a time please. No need to cut out more than half the shows at once. That kind of drastic action was necessary to get all the other rides ready before the SWL onslaught. There's no need to do that for shows.
If Mermaid and/or Beauty and the Beast don't have a substantial replacement prior to Star Wars Land opening, they've messed up.

Princess Leia

If Mermaid and/or Beauty and the Beast don't have a substantial replacement prior to Star Wars Land opening, they've messed up.
And unfortunately, no one has made reference to either of them going on this site.

Beauty and the Beast still has an end date on Wikipedia, not that it's anything to go by.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And unfortunately, no one has made reference to either of them going on this site.

Beauty and the Beast still has an end date on Wikipedia, not that it's anything to go by.

Not a definite pull the trigger, but 'the plan' was for something to happen with Belle, Ariel, and Indy before the 50th. Two changes and an update. But, who knows where that stands now.

BrianLo

I exist between flabbergasted and disgusted. This lack of planning is driving me crazy.

EVERY SINGLE DISNEY PARK IN THE WORLD has refreshed or replaced pretty much every single one of their shows within the last 5 years or so. There are very, very few stage shows left that date back to the mid 2000's. The Nemo musical, big band beats, Lion King at HKDL. Those are also all from parks that have significantly changed or moved another two shows a piece within the last few years.

Why is DHS spending Billions and we have no discernible plan.

It's not even running one of the oldest shows, it's running three of them. 1989, 1991, 1992.

ToTBellHop

I exist between flabbergasted and disgusted. This lack of planning is driving me crazy.

EVERY SINGLE DISNEY PARK IN THE WORLD has refreshed or replaced pretty much every single one of their shows within the last 5 years or so. There are very, very few stage shows left that date back to the mid 2000's. The Nemo musical, big band beats, Lion King at HKDL. Those are also all from parks that have significantly changed or moved another two shows a piece within the last few years.

Why is DHS spending Billions and we have no discernible plan.

It's not even running one of the oldest shows, it's running three of them. 1989, 1991, 1992.
Yes. The overall plan for DHS defies explanation. They will manage to spend a fortune on this park and not actually fix very much. What is most surprising is that they will gladly spend $1 billion on Star Wars Land and over a quarter billion dollars on Toy Story Land, but won't spend pennies (relative to that) to keep and update GMR while building Mickey elsewhere and to update three shows. They'll end up spending about $1.5 bn on the announced new rides for the park but aren't willing to release an extra $100 million to update the rest?

RSoxNo1

Yes. The overall plan for DHS defies explanation. They will manage to spend a fortune on this park and not actually fix very much. What is most surprising is that they will gladly spend $1 billion on Star Wars Land and over a quarter billion dollars on Toy Story Land, but won't spend pennies (relative to that) to keep and update GMR while building Mickey elsewhere and to update three shows. They'll end up spending about $1.5 bn on the announced new rides for the park but aren't willing to release an extra $100 million to update the rest?
The choices for me would have been Mickey and Minnie's as a replacement for either Voyage of the Little Mermaid (with the ride pretty much going straight back) or replacing Star Wars Launch Bay/The Animation Building. If it was the latter I'm a big proponent of connecting the RnRC courtyard to this area which would essentially open up the possibility of another expansion along the connection route.

So in this scenario: Mickey and Minnie's would probably open later than it would going into the Great Movie Ride building. However, as soon as Toy Story Land opens they could have closed The Great Movie Ride for a 10-12 month update. This could have included the replacements of a number of scenes and any other necessary updates that would bring it back to the E-ticket status it once was. Then, going into Star Wars Land opening you'll have GMR already operational and Mickey and Minnie's in the pipeline for a few months later.

Add in a replacement for Beauty and the Beast and you've got new draws all over the park. Beyond that you'd have the possibility for replacing Indy with something substantial and the space given by the connector between RnRC and the Animation Courtyard.

But no Disney, your way works too.

Jones14

I’m still holding out hope that they’ll close Little Mermaid or BatB down for a replacement after Disney Jr. reopens.

UpAllNight

I think this is the biggest shambles happening at Disney World. I may not like some of the things going on, but to charge people what they do and to not update shows in nearly THREE DECADES is making me so mad, and is starting to make me actively dislike my once favourite park as a child. There can be no legitimate excuse for this at all. This park is stale, Toy Story Land or not. It’s an utter shambles Disney have not only let this happen, but swapped management teams several times over who also continue to let it happen. Maybe the next lot will sort it.

HowAboutDisney

I think this is the biggest shambles happening at Disney World. I may not like some of the things going on, but to charge people what they do and to not update shows in nearly THREE DECADES is making me so mad, and is starting to make me actively dislike my once favourite park as a child. There can be no legitimate excuse for this at all. This park is stale, Toy Story Land or not. It’s an utter shambles Disney have not only let this happen, but swapped management teams several times over who also continue to let it happen. Maybe the next lot will sort it.

If they wanted to leave the shows in the park I’d even be okay with that as long as they were updated.. I don’t know why there hasn’t ever been small updates such as including Belle and the beast dancing in the ball room or animatronic moving faces and I know I’ve said it before but HD video for mermaid..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom