Imagination Demolition?

I never thought I would get such response to a dark ride. :) Anyway, I saw the current version on You tube and I have been to Hershey Chocolate World, which is supposed to be more educational and I find that Chocolate World is more entertaining and it certainly smells a lot better. Was this current version of Figment Michael Eisner's idea? Just proves that business people don't have any creativity. In fact, I have never known of anyone who had an MBA degree who was not obnoxious. But all may not be lost: Perhaps most of the mural is still there, the present walls and doors can be dissasembled and used for offices at WDW.

Well if you have one, I didn't mean to offend you but I do find that all the people who run the corporations and businesses are not people you want to know better. Walt seemed like an unusually nice guy to be running a business. I mean, it takes a real lack of creativity to make a ride about Imagination have a skunky smell. Maybe they think people liked the "Let the good times roll" part. As for needing an update, that is not the same as ripping out a ride to a totally different theme. It is possible to update and improve such a ride without turning it into a maintainence department office.

ChrisQ

I always think that the smell has some hint of coffee in it. Or at least it doesn't gross me out anymore ever since I noticed that. (Not a coffee drinker here.)

I'm not a coffee drinker either, but since I've been working in an office with coffee drinkers for some years now, I've noticed a similarity between the smell of coffee as it's brewing and skunk smell.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
So - the demolition itself.

It looks like the shop was gone judging from the photos in that one update. And if they were doing the floors, why were all the banners from the staircase gone...? Those havent moved in years.

Also, though still in place, everything around the plastic tube-thingy wsas gone, suggsting it might go soon. I mean the floor was bare concrete meaning it was reduced to empty warehouse status. It doesn't take that just to lay new carpet. You dont have to remove all the wall cases and larger fixtures and stuff - ya know?

I don't mean the smaller stuff they would move. I mean those big things that would of been bolted down even look gone, hence my curiosity about that tube structure. Did it eventually go too?

jt04

I'm not a coffee drinker either, but since I've been working in an office with coffee drinkers for some years now, I've noticed a similarity between the smell of coffee as it's brewing and skunk smell.

So what is next? People have to drink coffee outside because of second hand coffee steam?:rolleyes:

askmike1

I find that these two contingencies usually go hand-in-hand around here. I have never seen someone say, "I hated the original, but WOW did they really improve it during the '98 refurb!" The folks who actually like the new one have nothing to compare it to, so it makes sense.

I know it's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but I guarantee that if you like this pathetic incarnation (sorry, but that's the way I feel, having experienced both many times), you'd have simply just been hog-wild delirious over the original. It was a special attraction with something new to see every time (just because there was so much detail).
Ready to have your mind blown? :) I didn't like the old version and I don't mind either of the 2 newer versions. The old version was just boring. I remember the Dreamfinder portion and wondering 'when the heck are we going to see something different?' The only truly memorable portion of the old version for me was the ending where you see the different pictures of Figment on the wall (I believe right after they took your picture). It was a much grander attraction of course, and I do miss the old ImageWorks... but I can't honestly say I liked the old version more than either of the more recent versions. And yes, I'll take Eric Idle any day over creepy Dreamfinder (though an attraction with both might be nice).

aladdin2007

I dont think this current closure has anything to do with changes to the ride itself (its just too short), only the Imageworks. I think many people are going to be dissapointed. But the I know nothing, Im just speculating and have a feeling were going to be dissapointed.:shrug:

jedimaster1227

I dont think this current closure has anything to do with changes to the ride itself (its just too short), only the Imageworks. I think many people are going to be dissapointed. But the I know nothing, Im just speculating and have a feeling were going to be dissapointed.:shrug:

They aren't doing anything to the attraction in this refurbishment other than survey/test work. Hypothetically, they could have rerouted riders through the secondary exit of the attraction, closing off the Imageworks without hindering the ride's accessibility. The Imagineers are taking advantage of the work needed for Imageworks by closing the ride for the month to do survey work and see what they need to do fix up the ride for the 4th version.

aladdin2007

The Imagineers are taking advantage of the work needed for Imageworks by closing the ride for the month to do survey work and see what they need to do fix up the ride for the 4th version.

I see. Well thats a positive step in the right direction I guess and the first sign/step of a new version to come eventually.

To add, just watch this youtube video and see how elaborate the queue area was, the portal for the vehicles into the ride, and the first scene - all 10x better then anything in the current ride.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7nhEEBPnuro

And PT2 with some high quality video of some of the amazing effects (the painting effect is AWESOME)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=e9E4yNg_eFI

And pt 3: What about Science?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vpSpNCg0MV8

I know I am very late to be commenting on these videos, but I just have to say THANK YOU!!!!

It brings back such wonderful memories!!!! :sohappy::sohappy:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Wasn't it also due to the fact Kodak was losing money due to developments in digital cameras as well?
From what I know, Kodak were happy to continue sponsorship, considering all the pies they have their fingers in with Disney. What the Mouse was willing to do to the pavillion and for what percentage is another matter. I`d love to know the reasons they gave Kodak for taking a total change of direction and how they made what they did seem to be an improvement (I can imagine a few reasons they gave myself)

However, Kodak nearly pulled out lock, stock and barrel due to Michael Eisner and George Fisher not exactly seeing eye to eye - Eisner annoyed Fisher more and more with his manner, so much that the Kodak CEO threatened to not renew any sponsorship with TWDC.

Some say JIYI was TWDC getting their own back at the threat....

Unless the original was scaring kids (I suppose that could happen) why take such a sharp change in theme? You look at the current attraction even on You tube and it could have been made in 1960. If I was the Imagineer I might make it so there is not much damage to the mural (it's probably gone, but it appears that the current walls are free standing and not load bearing) and the panel ceiling appears much lower so there must be a large space up there. I have worked in maintainence in dept stores and know that sometimes above these dropped ceilings, there can be the previous decoration up there, sometimes they even leave old light fixtures up there. Also, with that glass pyramid, maybe it was changed because of high energy costs. If the opening scene was too long, surely it would be possible to rewrite it and change it, unless that was not possible due to the turntable system, but with trackless cars, such a change can be made. Maybe it is time to build a whole new building for Figment, perhaps in the MK, that is energy efficient and trackless.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom