Imagination! Being Replaced w. Dr. Doof?

britain

Phineas & Ferb is not only a terrific show, they have the potential to be the Ludwig Von Drakes of this generation - as far as making education entertaining is concerned. Phineas in all his wide eyed wonder of what makes the world tick is a perfect fit for Epcot. What was the last time I ever saw someone so excited about science? Oh yeah, Bill Nye!

Unfortunately, if Disney does try to bring P & F to the park, I reckon they'll put the focus on Doofinsmirtz & Perry which will have as much to do with science and imagination as Marlin searching for Nemo has to do with marine biology.

Fairybuzz

Phineas & Ferb is not only a terrific show, they have the potential to be the Ludwig Von Drakes of this generation - as far as making education entertaining is concerned. Phineas in all his wide eyed wonder of what makes the world tick is a perfect fit for Epcot. What was the last time I ever saw someone so excited about science? Oh yeah, Bill Nye!

Unfortunately, if Disney does try to bring P & F to the park, I reckon they'll put the focus on Doofinsmirtz & Perry which will have as much to do with science and imagination as Marlin searching for Nemo has to do with marine biology.

Although we may disagree on the quality of the show, I'm not adverse to them having a place in the resort, maybe even a small area of this pavillion, but An entire pavillion themed to a show that people may or may not have even watched (and will probably have jokes that only fans of the show will understand) banks entirely on the idea that the show will be popular for all eternity. Even if you think its a good show its not really an instant classic, Its probably about the same appeal of (show I prefered) Kim Possible (I like strong female protagonists), and will probably not stand the test of time (not at least as much as Ducktails or Talespin, or any of the greats of my time), after all what if they put in a Lizzie McGwire, Proud family, or Recess ride would anyone really ride it today? The Doug show is long gone. When P and F's run is over, everyone who was too young to see it will ask what this ride is about, as I'm sure some of the fans of the show today aren't familiar with Goof Troop Quack Pack Darkwing Duck etc.

It begs the question would a Ducktails or Talespin ride exist now if it were built in the early 90s? The Disney afternoon show is long gone. I don't think its just a coincidence that my long favorite rides and some of the longest lasting have created their own characters. Country Bears, Imagination (would have still been there today if not for unwise decisions) Haunted mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean (didn't really create the chars but their personas were there Barbossa is Obviously the captain and even says the same stuff in the films Gibbs is the drunk guy, the sexy redhead is scarlet etc). Hey even Rides that don't have a set plot but have no tie ins last forever: most of the mountains, Everest looks set for that, etc. The ones that do have tie ins that last are tie ins with things that are well timeless. everyone knows the princesses, peter pan, obviously mickey, even Star Wars and the Twilight Zone: one's a legendary show, the other is a continually popular franchise with devoted fans. Splash mountain is an anomaly but the combination of it being too far hidden that it may as well be ride specific, combined with cult appeal keeps that strong.

If there was a P and F takeover of the pavillion It'd be the first pavillion ever dedicated to something other than epcot principles of humanity and the world, let alone the first ride ever dedicated to a disney channel show.

Although i preferred, like I said, Kim Possible to this show, The KP world showcase thing was replaced by it. Which could be inferred that this show is the "new Kim Possible" but Kim Possible got replaced right? Its not absurd to expect Agent P's World Showcase adventure to one day be deemed just as irrelevant.

I know as a kid I recognized that Figment was created for the park and I thought that that was actually really cool. Because he didn't have a predefined story It was easier to treat him as someone I just met, along with DF. Also as a creative person I could think about adventures for him in my head.

(Plus everything in there used to be so pretty and the animation on P and F is sub par at best)

RSoxNo1

Save Figment!
Not my figment...
D--lp-gen-Media-guide-att-40--585_400_300.jpg

Padraig

It begs the question would a Ducktails or Talespin ride exist now if it were built in the early 90s? The Disney afternoon show is long gone. I don't think its just a coincidence that my long favorite rides and some of the longest lasting have created their own characters. Country Bears, Imagination (would have still been there today if not for unwise decisions) Haunted mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean (didn't really create the chars but their personas were there Barbossa is Obviously the captain and even says the same stuff in the films Gibbs is the drunk guy, the sexy redhead is scarlet etc). Hey even Rides that don't have a set plot but have no tie ins last forever: most of the mountains, Everest looks set for that, etc. The ones that do have tie ins that last are tie ins with things that are well timeless. everyone knows the princesses, peter pan, obviously mickey, even Star Wars and the Twilight Zone: one's a legendary show, the other is a continually popular franchise with devoted fans. Splash mountain is an anomaly but the combination of it being too far hidden that it may as well be ride specific, combined with cult appeal keeps that strong.

I first visited Universal in 2011 at the ripe old age of 31. The one thing that struck me was how dated Studios felt, or rather more precisely, how out of time the whole place was e.g. Men in Black (it had been nine years since the last movie), Beetlejuice (1988), Twister (1996), The Mummy (a franchise long spent), Terminator 2 3d (any time I see that movie I'm instantly transported to a weird discussion I had in school when it came out). Simpsons of course still popular, but its height was at the very least over a decade ago. Jaws and E.T. kinda (maybe unfairly) got a pass because they are absolute classics movies.

It just felt slight off. I accept that this is the nature of the beast. Without a working studio a park like Studios has an almost impossible task of referencing the movies and staying thematically relevant. And don't take this as a knock against Universal, what they're doing at the moment in terms of investment and upkeep is incredible. I just dislike the notion that everything has to be linked to an outside IP and I find it frustrating that Disney has taken to using the same shortcuts; especially when they have a history of stand alone attractions. Which do you think would stand the test of time: Beastly Kingdom or Avatar Land?

Ernierich

I really struggle with the Figment attraction, I just don't get it (I obviously lack imagination!) There's an awful lot of space taken up by the ride that I feel could be better used for something else (with or without figment) Just imagine how a major crowd puller could help control the masses across the rest of the park, hey if they got it right they could even abandon the supposedly crowd controlling FP+... yes, that last bit wasn't serious.

My only worry about replacing it with P&F is that the ride won't really be re-imagined and it'll be done 'on the cheap'. They'll just replace Eric Idle with the DR from P&F and swap Figment for Phineas and Ferb. I reckon they sort of fit the story already, so we'll be left with the same poor attraction but with more modern characters.

Fairybuzz

I first visited Universal in 2011 at the ripe old age of 31. The one thing that struck me was how dated Studios felt, or rather more precisely, how out of time the whole place was e.g. Men in Black (it had been nine years since the last movie), Beetlejuice (1988), Twister (1996), The Mummy (a franchise long spent), Terminator 2 3d (any time I see that movie I'm instantly transported to a weird discussion I had in school when it came out). Simpsons of course still popular, but its height was at the very least over a decade ago. Jaws and E.T. kinda (maybe unfairly) got a pass because they are absolute classics movies.

It just felt slight off. I accept that this is the nature of the beast. Without a working studio a park like Studios has an almost impossible task of referencing the movies and staying thematically relevant. And don't take this as a knock against Universal, what they're doing at the moment in terms of investment and upkeep is incredible. I just dislike the notion that everything has to be linked to an outside IP and I find it frustrating that Disney has taken to using the same shortcuts; especially when they have a history of stand alone attractions. Which do you think would stand the test of time: Beastly Kingdom or Avatar Land?

Beastly Kingdom for sure, because of the timeless formula I mentioned. I am looking forward to the avatar land (I still want to be a blue alien :p ) but I wont let that cloud the fact that It's extended future is based upon wether Avatar becomes a classic or not. It really was big, and It could be the star wars of today, but we may just be looking at it through a distorted early 2000s viewpoint. However if they had gone with Beastly, it would be stuffed with originality and possibly that old disney flare they had in the 50s-80s.

Universal keeps putting in more simpsons stuff, and I keep finding ways not to care because I never liked the show. The same would go for P and F there such a non-presence in my life and possibly even a source of annoyance that I couldn't bare to look at the pavilion anymore lol. One look at the concept art seeing Figment's former jumping fountains stuffed up with lame 2000s kiddie show stuff and I must admit I literally felt ill. Neither me or my sister find the show interesting.

Anywho, What P and F will be like the Beetlejuice and all that other stuff in Universal, give it 5 or so years and no one will have heard about it. Like I said could you imagine a Bonkers the Bobcat ride still around? or Goof Troop? I bet half the people here under the age of 20 don't know what those shows even are. Its a shortsighted move which will bite them in the tush for sure.

Sometimes I wonder if their pulling a Producers like scheme on the Imagination Pavillion. How can we just make it worse and worse? I know we'll anger Dreamfinder fans even more by making it a ride based on a Disney Channel show! Something they probably don't even watch! muhahahaha!! lol ok I just needed a laugh.

That would be a weird coincidence if they did do it though. My favorite rides at Disney (original Imagination) and universal (Back to the Future) being replaced by tv shows I hate lol. Its like they get together and say how will we annoy her today?

But I do think were blowing this all way out of proportion. So far all I've seen is this artwork. http://www.wdwthemeparks.com/rumors/2013/03/27/imagination-pavilion-changes# (bottom of the page) If you look at it its only a proposal, and it seems to be confined just to the old Kodak Shop. (notice the waiting area for EO on the far right.) As ugly as that area looks in the artwork, and as much of a desecration to my childhood it is, I'd be ok if it was just there, and then they just made the Imagination ride with Fig and Df and reopened Imageworks. That way I can just ignore this and walk right into the building instead. I wouldn't like it if they were in imageworks though because In my mind I automatically associate P and F with very little child-preteen boys and since I am neither of those things I just respond the same way I would if I saw bob the builder. If the Imageworks was like how it was before I'd instantly go back in and do all that stuff again because it wasnt just for kids it was an expirience, not some rinky arcade fit for chuck e cheese like it is now. The first year it was open as the Your imagination ride, I thought I could get over the loss by going to my old fav image works things. We took a look around the new imageworks sighed, my mom told me this looks babyish, and we just left. That was the last time I was ever in there for more than five seconds.

I really struggle with the Figment attraction, I just don't get it (I obviously lack imagination!) There's an awful lot of space taken up by the ride that I feel could be better used for something else (with or without figment) Just imagine how a major crowd puller could help control the masses across the rest of the park, hey if they got it right they could even abandon the supposedly crowd controlling FP+... yes, that last bit wasn't serious.

My only worry about replacing it with P&F is that the ride won't really be re-imagined and it'll be done 'on the cheap'. They'll just replace Eric Idle with the DR from P&F and swap Figment for Phineas and Ferb. I reckon they sort of fit the story already, so we'll be left with the same poor attraction but with more modern characters.
Oh I am certain that if this would come to fruition (and I doubt It will), That is exactly what they will do. It'll be just a "slap a brand name on something and hope people like it" type of thing. Just like the seas with Nemo. Oh look see nemo see him on the screen ok rides over bye! I could see Doof coming on the screen at the begining babbling some typical Inator stuff and then you move on to that ironically dark area that used to be filled with pretty flowers and carousels and lakes and rainbows, where you see some boring looking contraptions, then P and F mess everything up or something or Agent P or something like that and they appear on the same things that Figment did, and then at the end P and F invented.....An upsidown HOUSE!!
oh god I can just see some overpayed guy reading this and going err uhh wait they won't like that? oh......
I don't get why they don't just put the stupid dreamfinder back in already. Its sooooo easy. It'd make all the nostalgic people come back all the new people feel like the nostalgic people did when they first rode it, and they wouldn't even have to spend alot just get rid of the whole institute thing and replace it with more fanciful imagery put back in the song, or write some new ones or whatever, and just air out that loading area a bit Its so dreary I immediately thought of Dinosaur! when I got on the ride, and I think I saw a queue just like it getting a season pass photo at six flags. Most of the Imageworks is still up there just replace what doesn't work with some 21st century stuff (but No more wii mote Xbox Connect philharmonic please, I want the real thing again!) and that'd be it! If they want P and F so bad put em in the 3-D theater! I never go in there anyway, bad memories of hista! *shiver*

Fairybuzz

Someone on Tumblr made a thing I wish was a real thing. Would definitely be the more sensible solution to rejuvenating Imagination then putting a TV show in that they'll just ignore the existence of in a few years anyway.
tumblr_mpfvy86jtV1rqqya8o1_1280.png
I WISH!!!!

If they made it It'd have to go back to classic disney storytelling. The dreamfinder just couldn't be done any other way. (of course they could blow it by going a figment in our world way with a romantic comedy backdrop ....actually even then I'd still like it lol)

Honestly the phineas and ferb idea is such a bad idea I wonder if theres a mole for universal somewhere.
I don't think the p and f thing will happen someone has to realize its a bad idea....somewhere. It also seemed so bright with all the speculation and the dreamfinder's appearance and all. To just have it all move so far backwards is like Almost discovering faster than light space travel, then suffering a catastrophe that knocks us into the stone age.

AintNoOtherMan

I'm on the fence about the idea.

On one hand, it may be exactly what the pavilion needs to bring- in families with young kids. So many kids consider EPCOT 'boring'. Bringing in some lame Disney Channel characters will make it fun for them.

But I hate the idea, personally. I think they should just redo the whole pavilion. Put an attraction that could have fit in with the original EPCOT center. You can even put Horizons in there!

Personally, I'm too young to remember the older versions of Imagination, so maybe I don't have that attachment to Figment everyone else seems to have. But the entire pavilion is a mess and I honestly don't get how Captain EO fits with the imagination theme. (I haven't seen it in 3 years and blocked most of it out of my memory lol)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'm on the fence about the idea.

On one hand, it may be exactly what the pavilion needs to bring- in families with young kids. So many kids consider EPCOT 'boring'. Bringing in some lame Disney Channel characters will make it fun for them.

But I hate the idea, personally. I think they should just redo the whole pavilion. Put an attraction that could have fit in with the original EPCOT center. You can even put Horizons in there!

Personally, I'm too young to remember the older versions of Imagination, so maybe I don't have that attachment to Figment everyone else seems to have. But the entire pavilion is a mess and I honestly don't get how Captain EO fits with the imagination theme. (I haven't seen it in 3 years and blocked most of it out of my memory lol)

If they did it, it would be an improvement on what is there (and now I will go shoot myself for saying that)...

However, the original ride was simply amazing.

As a side note, Figment still has relevance. It was the only plush my daughter begged for on our first trip...and she still sleeps with him and Minnie every night, 3 years later.

But, he's not as magical as he was. A lot of that was that his TRUE sidekick, the Dreamfinder was taken away as a character, both as a walkaround and in the show. The whimsical nature of the show, which really made you as a kid, and as an adult, soak in the underlying message, is gone. Now, Figment is more akin to a lame Bart Simpson, used for comic relief with his antics, instead of being a "child" with a loving father figure, as he was in the original show.

I'd recommend you check out the various youtube videos there are out there of the original show. It was extremely good.

Compound this with the mindblowing Imageworks upstairs (something which has been cheapened and downsized currently) and you have an amazing pavilion.

The movie has gone through several iterations. The EO show is my personal favorite, and I was glad they brought it back...but that's just because of when I saw it. When HISTA came in, I was disappointed by it (as I wasn't a great fan of any of the movies either...they were cute...too cute...but I was getting into my teenage years then, so...). It was still amusing, and I can understand why those who grew up with it feel as strongly about it as EO fans like me do.

What does EO have to do with Imagination, you ask? Well, it's simple, if you look at it artistically and consider the underlying (and very much intended message)...and if I don't word it eloquently or thoroughly, apologies in advance...

An oppressed and ugly society that is stuck in a rut can be inspired with peace and love and imagine themselves a brighter future if they listen to these ideas...and if they imagine it, it can come to pass (the transformation scene). It's a sly version of "If you can dream it, you can do it", which was the Horizons tie in to the Imagination pavilion (all the pavilions used to tie into a much larger message, and support each other and a larger "story"...something which is no longer the case)...

englanddg

One Little Spark...
"We are here to change the world,
We're gonna change the world..."

Exactly. Someone with imagination proposes a new idea...which can change the world...all you have to do is open your own imagination to see it! However, sometimes those with brave new ideas have setbacks, and an oppressive society led by people with little imagination may not see it, and will take advantage of it (re: when Hooter knocks over the keyboard, and the Queen sends in her troops to maintain the current order, rather than having an open mind to new ideas)...

In addition, the whole video is an allegory as to how new ideas and inventions spread through society (eg: the transforming of existing characters into dancers as they open their minds)...the visual is that he's shooting them with magic laser beams from his hand, but really Captain EO is convincing them of his new idea...he's opening their eyes.

The whole movie is VERY much about Imagination, and how it can "change the world", and how this can inspire a Renaissance.

In addition, the "Another Part of Me" song has a huge message as it states that YOU can change the world, not just some random "hero" like EO...we are ALL Captain EO, and all a part of each other.

Fairybuzz

If they did it, it would be an improvement on what is there (and now I will go shoot myself for saying that)...

However, the original ride was simply amazing.

As a side note, Figment still has relevance. It was the only plush my daughter begged for on our first trip...and she still sleeps with him and Minnie every night, 3 years later.

But, he's not as magical as he was. A lot of that was that his TRUE sidekick, the Dreamfinder was taken away as a character, both as a walkaround and in the show. The whimsical nature of the show, which really made you as a kid, and as an adult, soak in the underlying message, is gone. Now, Figment is more akin to a lame Bart Simpson, used for comic relief with his antics, instead of being a "child" with a loving father figure, as he was in the original show.

I'd recommend you check out the various youtube videos there are out there of the original show. It was extremely good.

Compound this with the mindblowing Imageworks upstairs (something which has been cheapened and downsized currently) and you have an amazing pavilion.

The movie has gone through several iterations. The EO show is my personal favorite, and I was glad they brought it back...but that's just because of when I saw it. When HISTA came in, I was disappointed by it (as I wasn't a great fan of any of the movies either...they were cute...too cute...but I was getting into my teenage years then, so...). It was still amusing, and I can understand why those who grew up with it feel as strongly about it as EO fans like me do.

What does EO have to do with Imagination, you ask? Well, it's simple, if you look at it artistically and consider the underlying (and very much intended message)...and if I don't word it eloquently or thoroughly, apologies in advance...

An oppressed and ugly society that is stuck in a rut can be inspired with peace and love and imagine themselves a brighter future if they listen to these ideas...and if they imagine it, it can come to pass (the transformation scene). It's a sly version of "If you can dream it, you can do it", which was the Horizons tie in to the Imagination pavilion (all the pavilions used to tie into a much larger message, and support each other and a larger "story"...something which is no longer the case)...

Very eloquently put!

Epcot used to flow so nicely and like i said now its Energy, Space, car factory, cheezy lab goofyness (p and f will make even less sense in context), hanggliders, and talking fish

Fairybuzz

Exactly. Someone with imagination proposes a new idea...which can change the world...all you have to do is open your own imagination to see it! However, sometimes those with brave new ideas have setbacks, and an oppressive society led by people with little imagination may not see it, and will take advantage of it (re: when Hooter knocks over the keyboard, and the Queen sends in her troops to maintain the current order, rather than having an open mind to new ideas)...

In addition, the whole video is an allegory as to how new ideas and inventions spread through society (eg: the transforming of existing characters into dancers as they open their minds)...the visual is that he's shooting them with magic laser beams from his hand, but really Captain EO is convincing them of his new idea...he's opening their eyes.

The whole movie is VERY much about Imagination, and how it can "change the world", and how this can inspire a Renaissance.

In addition, the "Another Part of Me" song has a huge message as it states that YOU can change the world, not just some random "hero" like EO...we are ALL Captain EO, and all a part of each other.

now that i think about it i wonder if thats where star trek got the idea for the borg lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom