Illuminations changes/New show rumor!

Pongo

donaldfan said:
I wonder if SkyDance would be something temporary (like for some sort of Epcot 25th celebration) while they pull the earth globe for a lengthy rehab? Just a thought . . .

I don't think that would be the case.

I think I remember reading somewhere that ROE was supposed to be "temporary", but was so popular they kept it going. Or maybe I'm just confusing it with something else.

goofyfan13

Pongo said:
I don't think that would be the case.

I think I remember reading somewhere that ROE was supposed to be "temporary", but was so popular they kept it going. Or maybe I'm just confusing it with something else.

I heard the same thing.

imagineersrock

Original Poster
askmike1 said:
If you read the email response from Dorsey Productions, RoE was meant to last 10 years.
Which makes more sense... I can't really see them creating such large, technical, -and not to mention- expensive pieces (the globe and inferno barge) for a show that was only supposed to be "temporary."

CrashNet

imagineersrock said:
Which makes more sense... I can't really see them creating such large, technical, -and not to mention- expensive pieces (the globe and inferno barge) for a show that was only supposed to be "temporary."
It's a play with words. Design a show "for the Millenium," and then say it had such a huge response that it is going to remain the permanent evening attraction. Sounds much better than saying "EPCOT will have an all new show for the Millenium. Don't worry if you can't see it now...it will be here for a LONG time." The first one suggests limited time, then follows it with "it did better than we expected," attracting more people.

Its all marketing my friend. :)

imagineersrock

Original Poster
donaldfan said:
Another thought -- could "Sky Dance" be the return of some sort of a parade to WS?
No, the man I got the information from was talking about a new Illuminations show and the argument was whether or not "Illuminations" would be kept in or left out of the title. I'm almost positive this is a new fireworks show we're talking about.

Also, when something has "Sky" in the title, I think it's a pretty safe bet that a decent amount of it will take place in the sky. As much as I would like to see a parade return to Epcot, I don't think "Sky Dance" is it.

donaldfan

imagineersrock said:
No, the man I got the information from was talking about a new Illuminations show and the argument was whether or not "Illuminations" would be kept in or left out of the title. I'm almost positive this is a new fireworks show we're talking about.

Also, when something has "Sky" in the title, I think it's a pretty safe bet that a decent amount of it will take place in the sky. As much as I would like to see a parade return to Epcot, I don't think "Sky Dance" is it.

When I thought "Sky Dance" I also thought that it could possibly be something similar to Tapestry of Nations/Dreams. (puppets dancing in the sky) Like I said though - just a thought . . .

While I was interning at Casting, I arranged for someone to come speak about a concept that was thrown out for the millenium lagoon show. It involved three large crane-like contraptions in the middle of the lagoon that would sorta move to the music. I wonder if their digging that idea up again??

Just another thought . . .

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I was excited when I first read this. I think "imagineersrock" scored big time. He get info and I would bet he got it very early (maybe years before the new show is going to launch). One thing I like about the name "Sky Dance" is that its such a broad and general theme it should allow a complete focus on making the showing visually stunning!

S.E.A.

donaldfan said:
I wonder if SkyDance would be something temporary (like for some sort of Epcot 25th celebration) while they pull the earth globe for a lengthy rehab? Just a thought . . .

This is much more likely

Chape19714

A New should would be good...However, a parade doesn't seem likely to come with it. A 25th tie in would be nice. However, Illumanations:25 has already come and gone...The end of the Illumanations era might be upon us...it's certainly lasted longer than any other nightime series.

peter11435

Chape19714 said:
A New should would be good...However, a parade doesn't seem likely to come with it. A 25th tie in would be nice. However, Illumanations:25 has already come and gone...The end of the Illumanations era might be upon us...it's certainly lasted longer than any other nightime series.
Not exactly. The Main Street Electrical parade and Fantasy in the Sky Fireworks both ran longer than Illuminations.

CrashNet

Chape19714 said:
I'm guessing they would keep Illuminations as at least part of the title simply because its something a lot of people can relate to. You say Illuminations, and people immediately think EPCOT and Fireworks.

Chape19714

peter11435 said:
Not exactly. The Main Street Electrical parade and Fantasy in the Sky Fireworks both ran longer than Illuminations.
I didn't mean single parades/shows, but rather a series of shows under a common title.:D :wave:

I agree with cac2889, The name has a reputation which might save it.

dxwwf3

There's really no reason to ever change the title "Illuminations". They can call every show Illuminations:........ Illuminations is something people recognize and the name serves a purpose to the show and where it's located. Something is more likely to succeed with Illuminations in front of it's title.

Chape19714

dxwwf3 said:
There's really no reason to ever change the title "Illuminations". They can call every show Illuminations:........ Illuminations is something people recognize and the name serves a purpose to the show and where it's located. Something is more likely to succeed with Illuminations in front of it's title.

Athough it makes sense...I'm not completely convinced a show would do better/worse with or without the Illuminations title. Yes, it represents epcot, and is synonomous (sp?) with epcot...but a good show will draw crowds...no matter what the name. Just my opinion...could be wrong.

imagineersrock

Original Poster
I took some new photos this evening while at Epcot. Click Here for the photos.

Unfortunately- I was unable to get any clear shots of the spinning globe effect that has been added to Spaceship Earth at the end of the show, but you can kind of get the idea by the last few photos in the album.

The globe effect (along with the "ILLUMINATIONS" and "SIEMENS" text) goes on for a rather short amount of time, actually. It only goes on while the song "Promise" plays (about 3-5 minutes after RoE ends.)

As soon as "Promise" ends and the ToN soundtrack begins, the laser effect shuts off and all regular lighting comes back on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom