Illuminations changes/New show rumor!

1stStarIC2nite

dxwwf3 said:
No doubt. My biggest gripe about the show is the globe sequence. It's almost the equivalent to the rave scene in Matrix Reloaded, but I think the globe is MUCH, MUCH worse. I liked that part of the show during the 2000 celebration, but now it almost puts me to sleep. And IMO the Peace on Earth finale puts ROE to shame in the fireworks department. That shows that there is certainly room for improvement.

I agree. RoE is an excellent show, but the Peace on Earth Holiday Finale just blows the show out of the water entirely. It shows what truly can be done on the lagoon. I hope the new show is more like that, in addition to pyro shot off of the country buildings.

imagineer boy

dxwwf3 said:
No doubt. My biggest gripe about the show is the globe sequence. It's almost the equivalent to the rave scene in Matrix Reloaded, but I think the globe is MUCH, MUCH worse. I liked that part of the show during the 2000 celebration, but now it almost puts me to sleep. And IMO the Peace on Earth finale puts ROE to shame in the fireworks department. That shows that there is certainly room for improvement.

Wow, worse than the Matrix Reloaded rave scene? Then that's REALLY bad.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Its not terrible, but they could definately use that time for pyro effects behind the pavillions instead.

dxwwf3

Well I think it's worse :)

But they are similar in that they almost bring the show to a sudden halt. They are unnecessary and really provide little entertainment, IMO. Especially since the video technology on the globe is fairly out of date and the images are usually blurry.

CrashNet

unkadug said:
Well, Imagineersrock it seems that you ran into somebody from Don Dorsey Productions at Epcot.

I just checked his website http://dorseyproductions.com/projects.html and under current projects it does list Sky Dance !!
Now THAT is interesting. That means "Sky Dance" isn't just something made up, and he said that he heard them mentioning Illuminations and Sky Dance together. I think that makes this stuff pretty credible.

Also, having a sponsor now, they may be able to do something like that nightly. They did the Peace on Earth portion nightly during Christmas, but to do something that caliber on a nightly basis year round must be expensive.

donaldfan

I will miss ROE, especially the music and "Celebration" sequence.

I'm hopeful that anything new will top it!!!

Now I just wonder when it will happen, so I can make sure I see ROE a few more times before it is retired.

Pongo

I really dislike the name "Sky Dance". I think they need to keep the IllumiNations title, but keep with the EARTH theme of the second part. Like Reflections of EARTH. It has a sense of the diversity on Earth, which I think IllumiNations is all about.

"Sky Dance" does not reaflect that at all.

:hurl:

dxwwf3

I like Sky Dance personally. Maybe they've found a way to tie in ABC's hit show "Dancing With The Stars" with the parks now? You could have a Jerry Rice segment with audio clips of some of his best catches. And you could have a Stacy Kiebler segment with the Kid Rock version of "Legs" as the finale.

CrashNet

donaldfan said:
I will miss ROE, especially the music and "Celebration" sequence.

I'm hopeful that anything new will top it!!!

Now I just wonder when it will happen, so I can make sure I see ROE a few more times before it is retired.
I. LOVE. the Celebration portion of the show. That part makes RoE on so many levels. It just works so well, and the music behind it is phenominal.

I don't think I said this yet, but if the show is in fact changing, I hope it includes some kind of fancy new technology and effects we've never seen before. I'd be all OVER that. :D

NadieMasK2

The Peace On Earth segment is absolutely amazing. I was in awe. How cool would that be if something similar could be seen every night!
Not too big on the Sky Dance name. I really think the name should reflect upon World Showcase or an international theme in some way.

Epcot82Guy

Just purely thinking out loud... I know their productions have been more focused on parades and "scene" shows than nighttime. Would there be a possibility that this is an "overlay" to the show like Tapestry was? Obviously no one would likely no this without more information, but SkyDance does seem like it might be an evening parade theme. Granted, who knows, but I would LOVE to see taking the best parts of Illuminations:ROE, cut back some of the globe sequence (although not all because I like the progression part of it once it finally makes it to the center), and add some new sequences.

S.E.A.

I'd like to see them try coming up with a sort of re-telling of the world's history through illuminations. It would fit well with epcot, at least IMO.

and yes, the peace on earth tag is priceless.

askmike1

Epcot82Guy said:
Just purely thinking out loud... I know their productions have been more focused on parades and "scene" shows than nighttime.
Are you talking about Dorsey Productions? If so, they focus a lot on Nighttime Shows (RoE, Sorcery in the Sky, Starlight Magic, Fantasmic, Mickey Mouse Firework, Original Illuminations & Laserphonic Fantasy)

Epcot82Guy

askmike1 said:
Are you talking about Dorsey Productions? If so, they focus a lot on Nighttime Shows (RoE, Sorcery in the Sky, Starlight Magic, Fantasmic, Mickey Mouse Firework, Original Illuminations & Laserphonic Fantasy)

If that is true, then I stand corrected. I knew they had a hand in Sorcery, RoE, and Fantasmic, but I thought more of their work with Disney had focused on the newer parades. Could have been bad info from my sources though.

S.E.A.

unkadug said:
Well, Imagineersrock it seems that you ran into somebody from Don Dorsey Productions at Epcot.

I just checked his website http://dorseyproductions.com/projects.html and under current projects it does list Sky Dance !!

so that pretty much makes the Sky Dance project officially leaked whoopee!

And i love how they did all the really fantastic night shows like Starlight Magic, Sorcery and Fantasmic and of course almost all the incarnations of Illuminations.

askmike1

Okay, I emailed Dorsey Productions & this is their response...

Sorry I'm not able to comment on Sky Dance yet. As
far as Reflections, it was planned to run 10 years from
1999. I know some of the hardware is limping along already,
but I don't know of any concrete plans to replace it sooner
than then.

Epcot82Guy said:
If that is true, then I stand corrected. I knew they had a hand in Sorcery, RoE, and Fantasmic, but I thought more of their work with Disney had focused on the newer parades. Could have been bad info from my sources though.
Just look at their gallery.

WhyteAL

S.E.A. said:
when MK and DL do it, aren't the Fantasylands (where they launch from) closed at those times?

You know you would think they were:hammer: , but when I was their for mickeys not so scary halloween thing we were in fantasyland and got a little burnt from the fireworks . I would rain down right behind the castle area by philharmagic. So we just left the area and really didn't get to see much. But I think they should close that area off.

CrashNet

WhyteAL said:
You know you would think they were:hammer: , but when I was their for mickeys not so scary halloween thing we were in fantasyland and got a little burnt from the fireworks . I would rain down right behind the castle area by philharmagic. So we just left the area and really didn't get to see much. But I think they should close that area off.
They have the area from the edge of the Philharmagic and Snow White roped off during performances. Its the standard blockoff area, though if the wind were blowing the right direction, I can definetly see how you got a little burnt. The closed off area isn't that large...I was lucky to have watched the show from back there on a night with no wind. :lol:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
askmike1 said:
Okay, I emailed Dorsey Productions & this is their response...

Sorry I'm not able to comment on Sky Dance yet. As
far as Reflections, it was planned to run 10 years from
1999. I know some of the hardware is limping along already,
but I don't know of any concrete plans to replace it sooner
than then.

Just look at their gallery.

That's cool that they even e-mailed you back so quickly.

As far as their response, that's pretty much what I would expect them to say, as sub-contractors (which is what I guess they would be considered,) they are not at liberty to disclose such info. That would be up to the powers that be within Disney. :wave:

donaldfan

cac2889 said:
I. LOVE. the Celebration portion of the show. That part makes RoE on so many levels. It just works so well, and the music behind it is phenominal.
:D

Glad to know I'm not the only person out there who loves Celebration!

I wonder if SkyDance would be something temporary (like for some sort of Epcot 25th celebration) while they pull the earth globe for a lengthy rehab? Just a thought . . .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom