Trip Report I'll stop the World and Melt with you.

_DSC4851-X3.jpg

It's been two years since my family and I visited WDW. Two long years. Thankfully, my son Sterg and I got a three day Disney fix last summer at Disneyland.

Curiously, this trip report is being written at a time when a lot of negative Disney vibe is emanating from other regions of WDWMagic - as it was two years ago. The Doom & Gloom is running free and wild. I'm just thankful I stayed clear of most of it before our trip because I may have cancelled what turned out to be an amazing time. It is also fortunate that we got this trip in because from the sound of things there may not be a WDW to go to in a few years.

To be truthful, some things that Disney has done has me scratching my head; but this is neither the time nor place to discuss it. Putting that aside - let's get on with the trip report!

We left on Sunday July 21st. Maybe the longest day of my life. The night before, my oldest daughter Alex went to see Taylor Swift in Philadelphia ( about 50 miles away ) and due to a long rain delay she didn't make it home until 2 am. This meant that she would not go to sleep since we were being picked up at 3 am for the drive to Philly airport for our 6 am flight. At least we were supposed to be picked up at 3am.

Here is my Mom ( Yia-Yia )and my youngest daughter Antonia ( Toni ) up and ready at 3 in the morning waiting for our ride. Yia-Yia ( grandmother in Greek ) is 77 years old and joining us for the first time on a Disney adventure. Toni is now almost 12 and the little Yorki-poo in the front is Prince. Prince is short for Prince Charming ( named by Toni ).

_DSC4415%20-%20Copy-X3.jpg

When the driver didn't show up by 3:15 I started to worry. I called the limo company at the same time he called me to tell me he was lost. I reeled him in and we were on our way by 3:30. The drive down was nerve wracking as I kept watching the clock and praying for no delays. That is until our driver eased my tension by telling us his son works for Disney and he goes down to the World 4 or 5 times a year. The resulting Disney conversation lasted until we hit the airport around 4:30.

More tension as we went through security. My carry on was stopped in the machine and I was pulled aside. I had put a container of Vitamin C powder in my bag that garnered some attention. Of course, my Mom came over as I was being held and my bag inspected.

"Why didn't you put that in your suitcase, Christo?" she said to me in her Greek accented voice.

"Mom, please go wait over there" I responded.

"No, I want to see what they are doing" Then she followed with this one for the TSA officer.

"It's not drugs, my son doesn't do cocaine!"

OK, I thought. I'm definitely going to be held in some prison cell for the next week.

After the chemical test proved my Mother correct, I was allowed to go on my way. We had time to grab coffee and some food and make it on the Southwest plane to Orlando. A plane full of smiling happy faces! Including these;

This is my wife Val ( not the biggest of Disney fans ), with Yia-Yia in the middle and Alex by the window.

_DSC4425-X2.jpg

On the other side was yours truly sporting a Hawaiian shirt ( since we were staying at the Poly ), Toni and Sterg.

_DSC4426-L.jpg

Before we knew it we were up in the clouds...

_DSC4417-X3.jpg

Last edited:

Uncle Lupe

Lol! Both time we ate there we had giraffes. I figured Disney had a constant supply of giraffe food outside the windows.

No problem. Vacations are not supposed to be stressful you know. Was this a WDW trip?
Yeah, I may have overdone the picture taking this trip, but they are enjoying them now. Some talk of Universal is stirring in them. Alex was into reading all the Harry Potter books. I would love to see the new expansion when complete.

Yes, Hakuna Matata!

:D

I WISH!!!! I wish I was back getting drenched walking down Main Street. Saturday started with a letter from the county prosecuting attorney about property taxes. That was the first day of vacation and being a Saturday I could do nothing but worry for three days due to a doctor apt on Monday. On Tuesday I go to the courthouse and find out I have been paying the bill addressed to me but it was not my bill it was for someone else's property. Mine was being sent to a bank in Chicago for SEVEN years. why was it going to Chicago?? They didn't know why but it was. The county would not credit me the money I had paid. I had to go and get repaid on my own and start paying the back taxes owed in two weeks or face foreclosure. So if I could not get reimbursed I was on the hook for $2700, they were nice enough to drop the penalty's. I spent Wednesday and Thursday getting reimbursed and applied that toward what I owe and starting a payment plan to the county. From Tues to Thurs I think I made 5-6 trips the county courthouse, 3 trips to two different banks and 4 trips to the other property owner. Friday I sat down vegged out and caught up on your TR. Went back to work Saturday.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I WISH!!!! I wish I was back getting drenched walking down Main Street. Saturday started with a letter from the county prosecuting attorney about property taxes. That was the first day of vacation and being a Saturday I could do nothing but worry for three days due to a doctor apt on Monday. On Tuesday I go to the courthouse and find out I have been paying the bill addressed to me but it was not my bill it was for someone else's property. Mine was being sent to a bank in Chicago for SEVEN years. *** why was it going to Chicago?? They didn't know why but it was. The county would not credit me the money I had paid. I had to go and get repaid on my own and start paying the back taxes owed in two weeks or face foreclosure. So if I could not get reimbursed I was on the hook for $2700, they were nice enough to drop the penalty's. I spent Wednesday and Thursday getting reimbursed and applied that toward what I owe and starting a payment plan to the county. From Tues to Thurs I think I made 5-6 trips the county courthouse, 3 trips to two different banks and 4 trips to the other property owner. Friday I sat down vegged out and caught up on your TR. Went back to work Saturday.

Oy. Being from Northern Illinois anything that goes to Chicago ain't good. {{{Hugs}}}

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Weeks ago, when I first started following your TR, I was amazed by your photos. Lately, I think it's a tie for 1st place, between your photos and your commentary.

You have a certain vulnerability in your writing style that strikes a chord with so many people here, following your TR. You've made it a point to not portray everyone in the family as being perfect all the time; rather, your comments were far more interesting (and often hilarious!) by pointing out the highs and lows of any normal family's vacation. I grew up in a family of six, and I can definitely relate to many amusing situations with my parents and siblings.

Lastly, a recent photo showing Yia-Yia waving to Mickey during a parade was so tender. That photo actually made me pause for a few moments. I believe you captured the true essence of a Disney vacation in that picture; anyone, regardless of age, is a "kid" in the parks!

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Goodmorning WDW! Our last day at the World. Having a late flight made waking up a bit easier. On this day, Toni and I were joined by Yia-Yia, Alex and Sterg. Val, never being a morning person, stayed behind to finish up some packing.

The beautiful morning helped wipe away much of the ugliness of the night before.

_DSC6644-X2.jpg

We were headed to MK via boat to catch the opening.

_DSC6642-XL.jpg

Peaceful and calm; in contrast to our previous evening.

_DSC6643-X2.jpg

_DSC6646-XL.jpg

Here comes our boat!

_DSC6648-X2.jpg

All aboard. I was beginning to favor the boat ride over the monorail. Yes, the monorail is "cooler" but the quick voyage across the lake was more relaxed.

_DSC6649-XL.jpg

Lovely sights to start your day...

_DSC6650-X2.jpg

_DSC6652-X2.jpg

A fully recovered Sterg and Alex tried to give me a smile. I was interested to see how they would react to the opening show.

_DSC6655-XL.jpg

Before long, Casey Jr. came down the tracks and Mickey opened up Magic Kingdom. The teenagers actually enjoyed it as did Yia-Yia. She asked me if they did that every morning and was amazed when I told her they did.

_DSC6660-XL.jpg

_DSC6661-X2.jpg

Our final day in Magic Kingdom begins...

_DSC6662-XL.jpg

Last edited:

LuvsTheMouse

Mostly a lurker here. I've enjoyed reading your trip reports and the pictures are beautiful. I do agree about taking the boat to MK. We stayed a few nights at Wilderness Lodge after the AWESOME :D "Girls Cruise" and I loved taking the boat to MK, so relaxing. There was once we even had the boat all to ourselves.

Laurenciaa

Wow your pictures are just beautiful ! I keep comparing this with Disneyland Paris but.. WDW is just on another level of details and so on.. ! Read your other TR as well.. Wow I could stare at the pictures for hours ! Well done !

sweetpee_1993

I absolutely love that Alex, Sterg, and Yia-Yia joined you & Toni for the final morning. That says a lot, Chris. They might not realize it but you've put Disney in their hearts. You have. It wasn't the "cool" thing to be into Disney when I was growing up. I was a local. Tourists were the utmost in uncool. But Disney never left my heart. I came back and became the tacky tourist I made fun of. My money is on Alex & Sterg bringing their families back someday having magically transformed into the nerdy tourists and driving their kids insane with all their repetitive stories of their antics with YOU.

Tigger19

That was such a relaxed update, compared to the night before! I felt panicked reading the DTD update but reading was far more relaxed! You have a brilliant way with words that can make a person feel like there in the story with you :) I didn't even know they did a opening ceremony until reading this TR!

donaldtoo

As always, AWESOME report and pics!!! :)

First question, though: What kind of deal did you have to make with Sterg to not have him torqued at you for posting about his, now famous/infamous, shot to the pills from lil' sis...new car, season tics to his favorite sports team, etc....?!?!?! o_O Or, is he just rollin' with it as lesson learned and let it be a lesson to others...?! :D

Second question: Will someone be wearing a new t-shirt for y'alls next WDW trip...?
I TOOK A SHOT TO THE PILLS FROM MY LIL' SIS IN FRONT OF THE WORLD OF DISNEY STORE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY T-SHIRT ;)

Lastly, for now anyhow...
I can COMPLETELY and TOTALLY relate to your WoD experience!!!!! We almost always go in the summer and the place is packed to the rafters (well almost, as your ceiling shots will attest :D ;)) !!!
We usually go on the first and last days we are there, and we (me anyway o_O) spend, what seems like 9/10ths of the time trying to find each and the other 1/10th actually shopping...!!!!! :confused: :joyfull:

DisSplash

Dang. So sad that your TR is almost over. It has been keeping me entertained for weeks now... I can only hope that you have already planned your next trip to give me something to look forward to reading way down the road! Loved your DTD post. We were there in August and it was pretty much the same, so we only ended up there twice in 10 days.
The last day at Disney is always so bittersweet, isn't it?
Love the vibrancy in your Opening pics!

fractal

Original Poster
Moving up Main Street. whoa Nellie!

_DSC6663-X2.jpg

_DSC6664-XL.jpg

A nearly empty TL. The kids ran ahead of Yia-Yia and I to ride Space Mountain.

_DSC6666-X2.jpg

After that, my strategy was to do "Yia-Yia friendly" rides. If the kiddies wanted to split off, fine but I wasn't going to tell them that.

"Everybody look here and smile. Please? Smile...look here...c'mon...smile....Toni, pretend you like each other... look here!...Yia-Yia, smile!...c'mon Alex, smile!"

"Oh whatever."

_DSC6670-XL.jpg

I was using my 19mm 2.8 lens that morning. Not as fast as my 50mm so I was wondering how it would do in the dark rides. Actually, not bad.

_DSC6677-XL.jpg

_DSC6676-XL.jpg

_DSC6683-XL.jpg

_DSC6693-X2.jpg

Yia-Yia loved Little Mermaid! Enthralled by it. From the queue, the music and the ride itself. My Mom is definitely a dark ride fan.

_DSC6687-X2.jpg

The "new" morning crew...

_DSC6696-XL.jpg

Up next, Storytime with Belle. Surely the teenagers would balk at that, right?

_DSC6699-XL.jpg

Nope, not a peep. Happily standing and waiting in Iphone posture.

_DSC6703-XL.jpg

fractal

Original Poster
Loved the detail of Maurice's cottage.

_DSC6702-XL.jpg

_DSC6705-XL.jpg

The inventor's blueprints.

_DSC6708-XL.jpg

Bell's Mother; which leads to the question everyone wonders about. How did Maurice get her?

_DSC6709-XL.jpg

There are a few amazing effects in this show. When the mirror magically turns into a doorway is the first. Very cool. Sorry - didn't take a pic of it.

The wardrobe is also very nifty. You catch yourself watching the head and trying to figure out how they made the facial movement looks so genuine. I was impressed.

_DSC6716-XL.jpg

and guess who was picked to be Maurice? Toni had to walk a fine line with her older siblings watching. She was into it, but at the same time didn't want to seem "too into it" in front of her "cool" teenager brother and sister. To their credit, they didn't harass her about it. I was really hoping Alex or Sterg were picked for something.

_DSC6715-XL.jpg

Before long, Belle showed up. The show itself is a bit corny, but I guess perfect for girls in the age group of 2-7. A few times Sterg looked at me rolling his eyes, but was respectful during the show. Alex and Yia-Yia liked it. Alex grew up in the Lion King - Beauty and the Beast era. Those movies were a big part of her childhood. Toni continued to be torn. She seemed like she so wanted to be into her role, but between worrying about how Alex and Sterg would perceive it and trying to be a bit more grown up herself she was struggling.

Lumiere was also pretty amazing as far as effects.

_DSC6723-XL.jpg

sweetpee_1993

Ah, poor Toni. Caught in such an unfortunate predicament. I understand completely.

I love Yia-Yia's capris today! They're perfect for Disney days!

The morning crew pic is great. You're all lined up like good morning soldiers. Good job!

fractal

Original Poster
I've been doing a bad job of keeping up with your report (at this point I think I'm going to go back to the beginning and start over :p) but I just read your WoD post. And I am feeling STRESSED! Like a previous poster said, I feel like I was right there with you, the way you described it. That place can be a madhouse! I'm glad you all made it out alive! :)

Lol! yeah - it really was crazy! I was doing loop through loop around the store and could not find anybody - that's what really freaked me out. :confused:

Hey Chris! Sorry I haven't written in a while, but I have been following along. I read the last episode with your family at Downtown Disney last night and was the funniest thing I've read in a long time. I know what you mean by the mass of humanity inside the World of Disney. We love going in there, but when it's that full, it takes all the magic away. Sounds like Sterg was really asking to be kicked in the groin.

Not liking the fact that your getting ready to write your last day, but all good things have to come to an end.

Pictures have been amazing! Thanks for sharing with us!

No sweat! I know your trip is fast approaching and you may be just a bit distracted. :) Thanks, he kinda had it coming. Thanks again ! I do enjoy writing the reports and consider it part of my "Disney trip experience".

I WISH!!!! I wish I was back getting drenched walking down Main Street. Saturday started with a letter from the county prosecuting attorney about property taxes. That was the first day of vacation and being a Saturday I could do nothing but worry for three days due to a doctor apt on Monday. On Tuesday I go to the courthouse and find out I have been paying the bill addressed to me but it was not my bill it was for someone else's property. Mine was being sent to a bank in Chicago for SEVEN years. *** why was it going to Chicago?? They didn't know why but it was. The county would not credit me the money I had paid. I had to go and get repaid on my own and start paying the back taxes owed in two weeks or face foreclosure. So if I could not get reimbursed I was on the hook for $2700, they were nice enough to drop the penalty's. I spent Wednesday and Thursday getting reimbursed and applied that toward what I owe and starting a payment plan to the county. From Tues to Thurs I think I made 5-6 trips the county courthouse, 3 trips to two different banks and 4 trips to the other property owner. Friday I sat down vegged out and caught up on your TR. Went back to work Saturday.

Dude, so sorry to hear. That really s*cks! Sounds like you got it sorted out ( thankfully ). Hopefully thinks go smoother. Glad the report helped calm the nerves a bit. Hang in there!

Weeks ago, when I first started following your TR, I was amazed by your photos. Lately, I think it's a tie for 1st place, between your photos and your commentary.

You have a certain vulnerability in your writing style that strikes a chord with so many people here, following your TR. You've made it a point to not portray everyone in the family as being perfect all the time; rather, your comments were far more interesting (and often hilarious!) by pointing out the highs and lows of any normal family's vacation. I grew up in a family of six, and I can definitely relate to many amusing situations with my parents and siblings.

Lastly, a recent photo showing Yia-Yia waving to Mickey during a parade was so tender. That photo actually made me pause for a few moments. I believe you captured the true essence of a Disney vacation in that picture; anyone, regardless of age, is a "kid" in the parks!

Thank you MinneM! I appreciate the comments. :)

Everytime we go on a trip I feel it is a small adventure. We are 5 people (6 with Yia-Yia), each with different perspectives and personalities. Interacting with other for a whole week without "normal life" distractions ( work, friends, activities, etc. ) is a great way to learn more about each other and hopefully get closer as a family. That does, from time to time mean dealing with some dysfunctional moments - but that's what makes it so interesting and fullfilling for me. Nobody is perfect and our flaws, X 5 people X 7 days will lead to challenges that we have to overcome.

Thanks for mentioning that photo - it's one of my favorites and I totally agree; for at least that moment she was a 12 year old little girls waving at Mickey Mouse. :)

Mostly a lurker here. I've enjoyed reading your trip reports and the pictures are beautiful. I do agree about taking the boat to MK. We stayed a few nights at Wilderness Lodge after the AWESOME :D "Girls Cruise" and I loved taking the boat to MK, so relaxing. There was once we even had the boat all to ourselves.

Thanks LuvsTheMouse! Boats is so nice! Maybe a Cruise report is upcoming from you???

Wow your pictures are just beautiful ! I keep comparing this with Disneyland Paris but.. WDW is just on another level of details and so on.. ! Read your other TR as well.. Wow I could stare at the pictures for hours ! Well done !

Thank you! I would love to get to DL Paris ( and Paris itself ) someday. Thanks for reading and the compliments!

I absolutely love that Alex, Sterg, and Yia-Yia joined you & Toni for the final morning. That says a lot, Chris. They might not realize it but you've put Disney in their hearts. You have. It wasn't the "cool" thing to be into Disney when I was growing up. I was a local. Tourists were the utmost in uncool. But Disney never left my heart. I came back and became the tacky tourist I made fun of. My money is on Alex & Sterg bringing their families back someday having magically transformed into the nerdy tourists and driving their kids insane with all their repetitive stories of their antics with YOU.

I was so happy they went along. I hope you are right! Thanks!
That was such a relaxed update, compared to the night before! I felt panicked reading the DTD update but reading was far more relaxed! You have a brilliant way with words that can make a person feel like there in the story with you :) I didn't even know they did a opening ceremony until reading this TR!

Thanks Tigger! It was a much calmer day, and we needed it. :D Thanks again, and next time you are at the World, make time to watch the opening. Well worth getting up early for.

Between the special ops mission and the well placed kick, this installment gave me a good laugh.

That'll teach Sterg to make fun of Toni.

Thanks! Yes, he certainly learned a lesson.
As always, AWESOME report and pics!!! :)

First question, though: What kind of deal did you have to make with Sterg to not have him torqued at you for posting about his, now famous/infamous, shot to the pills from lil' sis...new car, season tics to his favorite sports team, etc....?!?!?! o_O Or, is he just rollin' with it as lesson learned and let it be a lesson to others...?! :D

Second question: Will someone be wearing a new t-shirt for y'alls next WDW trip...?
I TOOK A SHOT TO THE PILLS FROM MY LIL' SIS IN FRONT OF THE WORLD OF DISNEY STORE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY T-SHIRT ;)

Lastly, for now anyhow...
I can COMPLETELY and TOTALLY relate to your WoD experience!!!!! We almost always go in the summer and the place is packed to the rafters (well almost, as your ceiling shots will attest :D ;)) !!!
We usually go on the first and last days we are there, and we (me anyway o_O) spend, what seems like 9/10ths of the time trying to find each and the other 1/10th actually shopping...!!!!! :confused: :joyfull:

Thanks! He is just rolling with it. Lesson learned.:D

Great idea for a t-shirt! WOD was absolutely nuts!

Thanks for following along donaldtoo!

Dang. So sad that your TR is almost over. It has been keeping me entertained for weeks now... I can only hope that you have already planned your next trip to give me something to look forward to reading way down the road! Loved your DTD post. We were there in August and it was pretty much the same, so we only ended up there twice in 10 days.
The last day at Disney is always so bittersweet, isn't it?
Love the vibrancy in your Opening pics!

Thanks DisSplash. Hopefully I can wrap this up soon. Glad you've enjoyed it! Last day was bittersweet. I was always checking my watch, trying to make time slow down but it never worked. :(

Ah, poor Toni. Caught in such an unfortunate predicament. I understand completely.

I love Yia-Yia's capris today! They're perfect for Disney days!

The morning crew pic is great. You're all lined up like good morning soldiers. Good job!

She's constantly battling those internal battles, lol! Thanks. They actually do pose for strangers.:D

fractal

Original Poster
Toni got a thank you and quick meet with Belle. Belle did a great job with her role and interacting with the kids.

_DSC6737-XL.jpg

From there we went to visit one of Alex's favorites; Winne the Pooh! In between checking the phones, we enjoyed the nifty little games in queue.

_DSC6738-XL.jpg

_DSC6739-XL.jpg

_DSC6740-XL.jpg

_DSC6741-XL.jpg

_DSC6743-XL.jpg

_DSC6745-XL.jpg

_DSC6753-XL.jpg

Time to board our Hunnypot...

_DSC6756-XL.jpg

fractal

Original Poster
Alex was in heaven.

_DSC6758-XL.jpg

_DSC6759-XL.jpg

Recently I watched the video of the Pooh ride in Hong Kong Disneyland ( Pooh's Hunny Hunt ). The one is WDW is neat, but this ride is amazing. Take the time to watch if you are a fan of dark rides, Pooh and or Eddie Sotto ( who designed it ).

Tigger19

Great update! Love that video you put up, it just shows how much the Winnie the Pooh ride in WDW needs updating. It took me a while to figure out that the characters were all speaking in a different language :oops: I thought someone was just talking over the intercom the whole ride:hilarious:

popsicletrees

I absolutely love your pictures! The ones from the deck of the Polynesian on your last morning are stunning! I'll echo what I've read some others have said and let you know that I'm sad to see this report begin to come to a close. I'm sure it has felt like this has taken forever to get through, but this is honestly one of the best trip reports that I've ever read on here.

...and your Sterg conversation in WoD was hilarious!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom