Trip Report I'll stop the World and Melt with you.

_DSC4851-X3.jpg

It's been two years since my family and I visited WDW. Two long years. Thankfully, my son Sterg and I got a three day Disney fix last summer at Disneyland.

Curiously, this trip report is being written at a time when a lot of negative Disney vibe is emanating from other regions of WDWMagic - as it was two years ago. The Doom & Gloom is running free and wild. I'm just thankful I stayed clear of most of it before our trip because I may have cancelled what turned out to be an amazing time. It is also fortunate that we got this trip in because from the sound of things there may not be a WDW to go to in a few years.

To be truthful, some things that Disney has done has me scratching my head; but this is neither the time nor place to discuss it. Putting that aside - let's get on with the trip report!

We left on Sunday July 21st. Maybe the longest day of my life. The night before, my oldest daughter Alex went to see Taylor Swift in Philadelphia ( about 50 miles away ) and due to a long rain delay she didn't make it home until 2 am. This meant that she would not go to sleep since we were being picked up at 3 am for the drive to Philly airport for our 6 am flight. At least we were supposed to be picked up at 3am.

Here is my Mom ( Yia-Yia )and my youngest daughter Antonia ( Toni ) up and ready at 3 in the morning waiting for our ride. Yia-Yia ( grandmother in Greek ) is 77 years old and joining us for the first time on a Disney adventure. Toni is now almost 12 and the little Yorki-poo in the front is Prince. Prince is short for Prince Charming ( named by Toni ).

_DSC4415%20-%20Copy-X3.jpg

When the driver didn't show up by 3:15 I started to worry. I called the limo company at the same time he called me to tell me he was lost. I reeled him in and we were on our way by 3:30. The drive down was nerve wracking as I kept watching the clock and praying for no delays. That is until our driver eased my tension by telling us his son works for Disney and he goes down to the World 4 or 5 times a year. The resulting Disney conversation lasted until we hit the airport around 4:30.

More tension as we went through security. My carry on was stopped in the machine and I was pulled aside. I had put a container of Vitamin C powder in my bag that garnered some attention. Of course, my Mom came over as I was being held and my bag inspected.

"Why didn't you put that in your suitcase, Christo?" she said to me in her Greek accented voice.

"Mom, please go wait over there" I responded.

"No, I want to see what they are doing" Then she followed with this one for the TSA officer.

"It's not drugs, my son doesn't do cocaine!"

OK, I thought. I'm definitely going to be held in some prison cell for the next week.

After the chemical test proved my Mother correct, I was allowed to go on my way. We had time to grab coffee and some food and make it on the Southwest plane to Orlando. A plane full of smiling happy faces! Including these;

This is my wife Val ( not the biggest of Disney fans ), with Yia-Yia in the middle and Alex by the window.

_DSC4425-X2.jpg

On the other side was yours truly sporting a Hawaiian shirt ( since we were staying at the Poly ), Toni and Sterg.

_DSC4426-L.jpg

Before we knew it we were up in the clouds...

_DSC4417-X3.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
At some point I had resigned myself that I was going in circles so I decided to slow down and do some shopping. I was looking at a hawaiian Mickey shirt when out of nowhere my Mother appeared. "That's a nice shirt, Christo." She almost startled me as I didn't see her coming.

"Mom! where have you been? Where is everybody?"

"We're shopping for things." she replied as if I insulted her.

"Oh, OK, so you like the shirt?" I said while holding it up, trying to find the price tag. It was $50, but the material felt great.
"Do you think that's too much" I asked. "Mom? Mom?"

And just like that she was gone. Engulfing back into the dark sea of tourists. It was surreal. I did decide to buy the shirt and I stood in line for 15 minutes, turning constantly and looking for the others with no success. After paying for my gift to myself I heard Sterg's voice across the room.

"Dad!, Dad! come here. Over at the phone cases."

"Ok, I'll be right there."
I said as I started to make my way through the thicket of humans moving in all directions.

"Excuse me, pardon me, coming through" I said as I leveraged, pushed and pulled my way the 25 feet to the phone cases. When I got there Sterg was gone but Alex was there.

"Alex? where's Sterg?"

"I don't know...what do you think of this phone case?"

"It's ok - where's Mom?"
I said almost desperately.

"Oh, she's over in this room. I'll go get her" and with that Alex was gone.

I felt like I was in a strange dream. Out of the fog of people, members of my family would appear for a moment only to disappear back into it. They seemed to know exactly where everybody else was and where I was but I was completely lost.
Next up was Toni. Poof- she appeared.

"Dad, what do you think of these gifts for Leah?" Leah was one of her best friends back home.

"Huh? where did you come from? Those are nice but why are you asking me - weren't you with Mom shopping? "

"Dad, what do you think?"

"Uh, that seems like a lot of money for one person"
I said as I added up the prices of the pin and necklace.

"Mom said I could get it if you said yes" she said as I began to understand her game. Val told her the same thing - too much money - now Toni wanted me to overrule.
"Nope, too much money. Pick one"

"Not fair!"
She said and stormed off before I could react. Alone again. The crowd now pushing me into another room.

Next up was Sterg. The rolling sea of people having spit him up in front of me.

"Dad, you have to get this Darth Vader phone case!" He said holding it. It was pretty cool, but was an Iphone 5 case and I had an Iphone 4.
"Wrong case" I said.

"Oh yeah, let me get an Iphone 4 case" and he was gone.

Again, the ceiling were my escape from the chaos.

DSC00651-XL.jpg

epcotisbest

Having gotten so spoiled by low to no crowds in early September, I don't think I would keep my sanity in that DTD crowd. You have really got to try a Sept. trip sometime...maybe a couple only trip. You can always send the kiddos pics of your trip!

fractal

Original Poster
There was now about a 10 minute gap from seeing Sterg but It seemed like 10 hours. I was still trying to call, but nobody answered. I had made my way to the giant model of Cinderella's Castle in the middle of the one room. The spot in front of the castle became my oasis. I tried Sterg again. This time he answered.

"Dad! Where are you?" he said in semi-panicky voice. "All of sudden, I can't find anyone! where are you? where is Mom?" he continued.

It was clear to me that he had crossed over to my dimension. What was once clearly his mother, sisters and Yia-Yia standing across the room, had turned into the fog of humanity.

"Son! Son! Stay calm!" I replied. "You need to find the big Cinderella castle. I am standing right in front of it and have established a beach head. It's in the room with all the t-shirts. The room we came into the store. Do you follow?" This had now become a special-ops mission.

"Ok, Ok, I'll find you. Don't move! Hold your position!" he said before the line went dead. Ten minutes later he found the castle. I watched him as he was looking around. He looked right at me, turned, then keep walking.

"My God" I thought. "He looked right at me and didn't see me" with that I took a step, grabbed him from behind and pulled him in to my arms. "Dad...Dad" he sobbed as we hugged.

OK - maybe I'm being over dramatic. The truth is, he did look at me and passed by. When I grabbed him he turned and we both started laughing hysterically. By the way - no Darth Vader iphone4 case.

Sterg and I went outside of the store. Right in front of the main entrance. I told him to stand there, if any of the girls came by he was to make them stay with him. I went back into the store and found Alex and Yia-Yia. I came back outside and Val and Toni were with Sterg. We were finally all together, in fresh air and out of the store. Val had to go to the ladies room, so we all agreed to wait there while she went. Toni was still giving her a hard time about the "friends" gifts. As Val left Sterg started in on Toni.

"Oh, the little baby can't get her little baby friend two gifts" He said in his jerky sarcastic voice.

"Stop it Sterg!" Toni said. She was already upset and frazzled and Sterg was now pouring gasoline on the fire.

"Oh the little baby is getting upset" he continued.

"Sterg, knock it off!" I added while looking at him with glaring eyes. At that very moment Toni had pulled back her left foot then swung it forward, kicking her brother between the legs, right where the sun don't shine. I watched as Sterg's eye's bulged out and he buckled over. She got him good.

By the way, this was all in front of a cheerful CM who's job it seemed was to dance with people and keep them generally happy. Whoops.

After Sterg caught his breath, I had to restrain him from killing his sister. I did realize he was still in pain and instructed him to go to the men's room as he felt and looked nauseous. Toni was then properly disciplined. She was lucky her Mother didn't see her attack.

The thought of the ceiling helped me keep my sanity. It took me to a happy place.

DSC00653-XL.jpg

After the bathroom breaks we headed back. It was a long day and a crazy night. The volcano at Rain forest cafe started to erupt- I envisioned that's was how I felt a few moments earlier. "If only I had a good battery" I thought. For some reason, I turned on my camera and somehow the battery had a little juice left. I managed a couple of volcano pictures, which seemed fitting.

_DSC6634-XL.jpg

_DSC6633-XL.jpg

Sterg was well enough by the time we got to the Poly to get a Dole whip. All's well that ends well.

_DSC6638-XL.jpg

Up next - Last day at the World.

Last edited:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Oh My! I kept laughing at you and your dead camera battery and having to go to DTD. :D

And you now know your young princess can defend herself with naughty boys.

Perhaps it will be a good lesson for him about teasing little girls or teasing any girls. He can painfully remember the consequences.

By the way it ends, my ManChild is 5 years older than the DD. It eventually ended when she went off to college.

sweetpee_1993

Oh my! Your description of the sea of humanity in WoD swallowing then spitting forth your family members was awesome. That's EXACTLY what it's like...and I loathe it. Ugh! Hate hate HATE DtD when it's mobbed. The only time you can go and actually enjoy it is in the mornings. But, when you're on vacation at WDW who wants to squander a morning there??? Right?

Totally not advocating what Toni did but as the younger sister with a big brother we do what's effective. Kicking your big brother there makes an impression that's for sure. If nothing else, it stops whatever horrible thing they're doing to you. Not that I eeeeeever did that. :angelic::hilarious:

docdebbi

OMG, there were so many times in my youth that I would have wanted to be Toni, big brothers can be such pains in the butt. but alas, i was too naive to realize that was a good place to aim for until i was too old to justify doing it! sheltered lives we led in the sixties.
toni may have just replaced Sterg as my favorite of your kids!!
poor Sterg, but Dole Whip cures all.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Oh my! Your description of the sea of humanity in WoD swallowing then spitting forth your family members was awesome. That's EXACTLY what it's like...and I loathe it. Ugh! Hate hate HATE DtD when it's mobbed. The only time you can go and actually enjoy it is in the mornings. But, when you're on vacation at WDW who wants to squander a morning there??? Right?

Totally not advocating what Toni did but as the younger sister with a big brother we do what's effective. Kicking your big brother there makes an impression that's for sure. If nothing else, it stops whatever horrible thing they're doing to you. Not that I eeeeeever did that. :angelic::hilarious:

How true. That is why I don't think Springs will be an overwhelming improvement. Most of the sea of bodies are still going to be WoD.

And yes, I don't condone it either but Big Brothers tend to believe it is their right to tease the heck out of little sisters and are merciless and inflicting pain on their little sisters for the fun of it and often. They get their jollies off and pleas from sisters or parents useless and seem powerless to stop that mean behavior. They do it all over again at the next opportunity. My DD had a certain tone to that scream that made me drop and run.

My imagination of Toni's trip report....The Sun doesn't always shine in WDW.

HouCuseChickie

Ok- not sure which was funnier...the grandchildren story or your WoD experience. I really needed those laughs! :joyfull:
I can also relate to losing family members in WoD. And the worst part- I couldn't get any kind of reception in there, so none of my texts or calls would go through. :arghh: Love the volcano pic! The RFC we frequent locally has one, but I'm always stuck with my phone camera when we're down there. By the time it's done taking the pic, I have a lovely picture of some smoke. :oops:

sweetpee_1993

Ok- not sure which was funnier...the grandchildren story or your WoD experience. I really needed those laughs! :joyfull:
I can also relate to losing family members in WoD. And the worst part- I couldn't get any kind of reception in there, so none of my texts or calls would go through. :arghh: Love the volcano pic! The RFC we frequent locally has one, but I'm always stuck with my phone camera when we're down there. By the time it's done taking the pic, I have a lovely picture of some smoke. :oops:

Galveston, right?

Tigger19

For me this was the funniest day of your trip (not for Sterg though!). The amount of people at DWD is unbelievable and your story about getting lost in the store is actually a bit scary :p
Kudos to Toni though for standing up for herself:hilarious: I had quite the laugh at that story! The dole whip cures all though I'm sure!:joyfull:

Goofy6294

At some point I had resigned myself that I was going in circles so I decided to slow down and do some shopping. I was looking at a hawaiian Mickey shirt when out of nowhere my Mother appeared. "That's a nice shirt, Christo." She almost startled me as I didn't see her coming.

"Mom! where have you been? Where is everybody?"

"We're shopping for things." she replied as if I insulted her.

"Oh, OK, so you like the shirt?" I said while holding it up, trying to find the price tag. It was $50, but the material felt great.
"Do you think that's too much" I asked. "Mom? Mom?"

And just like that she was gone. Engulfing back into the dark sea of tourists. It was surreal. I did decide to buy the shirt and I stood in line for 15 minutes, turning constantly and looking for the others with no success. After paying for my gift to myself I heard Sterg's voice across the room.

"Dad!, Dad! come here. Over at the phone cases."

"Ok, I'll be right there."
I said as I started to make my way through the thicket of humans moving in all directions.

"Excuse me, pardon me, coming through" I said as I leveraged, pushed and pulled my way the 25 feet to the phone cases. When I got there Sterg was gone but Alex was there.

"Alex? where's Sterg?"

"I don't know...what do you think of this phone case?"

"It's ok - where's Mom?"
I said almost desperately.

"Oh, she's over in this room. I'll go get her" and with that Alex was gone.

I felt like I was in a strange dream. Out of the fog of people, members of my family would appear for a moment only to disappear back into it. They seemed to know exactly where everybody else was and where I was but I was completely lost.
Next up was Toni. Poof- she appeared.

"Dad, what do you think of these gifts for Leah?" Leah was one of her best friends back home.

"Huh? where did you come from? Those are nice but why are you asking me - weren't you with Mom shopping? "

"Dad, what do you think?"

"Uh, that seems like a lot of money for one person"
I said as I added up the prices of the pin and necklace.

"Mom said I could get it if you said yes" she said as I began to understand her game. Val told her the same thing - too much money - now Toni wanted me to overrule.
"Nope, too much money. Pick one"

"Not fair!"
She said and stormed off before I could react. Alone again. The crowd now pushing me into another room.

Next up was Sterg. The rolling sea of people having spit him up in front of me.

"Dad, you have to get this Darth Vader phone case!" He said holding it. It was pretty cool, but was an Iphone 5 case and I had an Iphone 4.
"Wrong case" I said.

"Oh yeah, let me get an Iphone 4 case" and he was gone.

Again, the ceiling were my escape from the chaos.

DSC00651-XL.jpg
Been following your trip report for a while, and besides the great pics, I have to say that this was one of the most entertaining posts I've ever read on any forum. It made me feel as though I was beside you fighting the mass of humanity myself!

fractal

Original Poster
Okay, I'd first like to say that this TR has helped me through a hell-ish day - marking G5s rough drafts, talking to my momma who is in Canada (I am in China) about wedding plans, and my first full day since my (now) fiance "left the building" for home. In between all this craziness, I managed to read this TR from top to bottom and I can honestly say it added the magic back into my day!

Your pictures are fabulous. You've heard this umpteen times, of course, but just to give you another shout-out - wonderful. For me, they capture some of the unique details about the parks that people see (or don't see) but almost always take for granted. So, props for that.

All your time spent with Toni makes me smile, because that's how it was with Dadder and I before Carly was old enough to participate in such ventures. Even now, Dad and I are often up before everyone to golf. There's something special about spending quality time with a family member, whether at Disney or otherwise, and if Toni is anything like I am, she will ALWAYS cherish the memories as much as you do.

I'd also like to comment that not ALL teens go through that "I don't want to wake up, I want to sleep in" phase.. she might mean it when she says she won't! I, for one, have never outgrown a 6:30-7AM Disney wake up call to be there for rope drop. Even C is pretty good - sometimes she grumbles, but we're always to the bus stop by 8. And, if you've seen my TRs, you know that we NEVER outgrew posing for photos! Hahhaha.

Also, side note: Toni is adorable and going to be a total babe.. watch out for that, Dad.

Since I've been marking all day, I will write what I would have written had this been a "personal recount" for one of my kids (pretend it's in magenta pen, so as not to offend anyone with red ink): Wow, Chris, your voice really comes through in this recount! You have used the 5 senses effectively to add impressive detail. You're ready for editing - just remember that a strong concluding idea is part of our Criteria for Success. :)

So.. concluding idea?

Kenzie,

Congrats on the engagement! Wishing you all the best, very exciting (and hectic) stage of life!

Thanks for all the comments. Toni and I had some great AM times, I hope you're right about her not being a typical teen. :D Yes, I agree. she's going to be a heart breaker. Not sure I'm going to be able to handle it.

Thanks for the critique, wrapping things up soon!

fractal

Original Poster
Having some Sanaa envy :D I get a crane at the windows and you get giraffes!!!!! Totally agree about getting there early or planning to stay late to check things out. Having gone through a quarter of a day with a dead camera battery a couple of trips ago...I feel your pain. Cant wait to read more. :)

Lol! Both time we ate there we had giraffes. I figured Disney had a constant supply of giraffe food outside the windows.
First thanks for giving me a nice relaxing read to unwind from my most stressful vacation ever.

The Fractal shirt is awesome. Your right it's a delicate balance to achieve. Enjoy the moments of the vacation or capture them in a lens.

When planning this trip did the kids ever try to get you to go to Universal?

Even with Sterg forgetting the battery, Hakuna Matata.

No problem. Vacations are not supposed to be stressful you know. Was this a WDW trip?
Yeah, I may have overdone the picture taking this trip, but they are enjoying them now. Some talk of Universal is stirring in them. Alex was into reading all the Harry Potter books. I would love to see the new expansion when complete.

Yes, Hakuna Matata!

We've never been to Sanaa, since we usually do Boma when we head to AKL, but your post makes me want to go, even if just for the experience.

The food is great and I think a window seat would have your son well entertained.

So awesome to read about your Sanaa dinner as we just booked it for dinner in February! We enjoyed it so much last time and we're using this trip to try some new places we've yet to try and some places we don't do every trip. Your recap of Sanaa just solidified the choice!! :D

We also like to try new spots but Sanaa called us back! :D

fractal

Original Poster
Oh My! I kept laughing at you and your dead camera battery and having to go to DTD. :D

And you now know your young princess can defend herself with naughty boys.

Perhaps it will be a good lesson for him about teasing little girls or teasing any girls. He can painfully remember the consequences.

By the way it ends, my ManChild is 5 years older than the DD. It eventually ended when she went off to college.

It was a tough night for the family. Sterg learned his leason for sure. He still teases Toni but at a distance. :D

As an older sibling, I know Sterg's pain (the literal pain) from the wrath of the younger sibling. Great TR and I am sad that there is only one more day left.

Lol!
Thanks for following along this far. Last day went smoother than the last night. :D

Several times I stopped in the store, after doing a loop or two looking for the rest of the family, and I was just amazed that I could not find anybody. Then they would just show up. o_O I never had an experience like that. On previous trips we always incorporated a meal with DtD, which was the better way to go.

No, I can't believe you would do such a thing. :rolleyes: Toni got a good talking to, but at the same time I wanted her to know she has a right to defend herself.

OMG, there were so many times in my youth that I would have wanted to be Toni, big brothers can be such pains in the butt. but alas, i was too naive to realize that was a good place to aim for until i was too old to justify doing it! sheltered lives we led in the sixties.
toni may have just replaced Sterg as my favorite of your kids!!
poor Sterg, but Dole Whip cures all.

Well, she's the youngest of three. A bit more savvy than Alex was.
Lol! I'll let her know that. :D
Sterg was in serious pain to the point I was worried that she did permanent damage - but he also dramatized things a bit.

It was a tough night. :confused:

For me this was the funniest day of your trip (not for Sterg though!). The amount of people at DWD is unbelievable and your story about getting lost in the store is actually a bit scary :p
Kudos to Toni though for standing up for herself:hilarious: I had quite the laugh at that story! The dole whip cures all though I'm sure!:joyfull:

Thanks. Very funny looking back at it. :D

Been following your trip report for a while, and besides the great pics, I have to say that this was one of the most entertaining posts I've ever read on any forum. It made me feel as though I was beside you fighting the mass of humanity myself!

thanks Goofy! there is no doubt that's how I felt at the time.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member

Exactly. <evil grin>

It was a tough night for the family. Sterg learned his leason for sure. He still teases Toni but at a distance. :D

LOL!! At least he can be taught. ;)

Oh, and totally fitting that your camera was able to find enough juice to take photos of the volcano.

Ariel484

I've been doing a bad job of keeping up with your report (at this point I think I'm going to go back to the beginning and start over :p) but I just read your WoD post. And I am feeling STRESSED! Like a previous poster said, I feel like I was right there with you, the way you described it. That place can be a madhouse! I'm glad you all made it out alive! :)

mousefreak

Hey Chris! Sorry I haven't written in a while, but I have been following along. I read the last episode with your family at Downtown Disney last night and was the funniest thing I've read in a long time. I know what you mean by the mass of humanity inside the World of Disney. We love going in there, but when it's that full, it takes all the magic away. Sounds like Sterg was really asking to be kicked in the groin.

Not liking the fact that your getting ready to write your last day, but all good things have to come to an end.

Pictures have been amazing! Thanks for sharing with us!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom