If you love Everest, don't open this thread

mickster

Original Poster
Actually... I will respectfully disagree with you on theming. When you talk about the attraction being underthemed... what are you basing it on? Are you basing it on the number of times the Carnosaurus appears in 'Dinosaur?' How about the ratio of scenes or AA's seen per minute when you go through a typical Disney ride?

After seeing the backround videos that Joe Rhode and his team did while researching this project overseas... I think he and the rest of imagineering stayed true to the legend and themed it very well. It was believe that there was only one, yeti creature. The creature was mysterious and seen rarely... but only in glympses. If you saw it... it was attacking. The inhabitants around its home had shrines to it. they lived simple lives, they had prayer flags, and they had reverence for the creature. The trip is not going to have AA scenes where locals are venturing to or up the mountain... because they just didn't do that. And as the ride concludes... you only get a brief look at the yeti.... narrowly escaping certain doom.

So I disagree about there being a lack of theming, based on the backround journeys of the imagineering team.

You make good points, but this reminds me of something I remember hearing Walt Disney say once, "I would rather entertain and hope that people learn something, than educate and hope they are entertained." Walt was a smart guy who clearly knew that his place in the world was to entertain people. We can probably all cite examples of his films, theme park attractions, etc that occasionally deviated from historical, cultural or scientific accuracy in order to maintain a high degree of entertainment value, while at the same time not "talking down" to his audiences. Not many people have been as successful at carrying on that practice, and having the instinct to know when to tip the balance somewhat so that people come away being wowed! But if we are to look to anyone to continue that value, I would think it would be his Imagineers. In the case of Everest, I can understand and respect the desire to want to make the attraction as true to the culture and traditions as possible, but not at the risk of building an attraction that is lacking in themeing and adventure. I would hazard a guess that many people expect adventure when they embark on an attraction about Mount Everest and the Yeti. I don't know that many people really come away from this ride saying, "Wow, I really feel I learned a lot about Himalayan culture and have more respect for it now."

So I think that you've actually provided some insight (although perhaps unintentionally) into why this attraction really lacks the level of excitement and adventure that Disney fans like me look for in a Disney attraction.

EpcotServo

You make good points, but this reminds me of something I remember hearing Walt Disney say once, "I would rather entertain and hope that people learn something, than educate and hope they are entertained."
Yea, that's what makes Everest so great.

Oh wait, were you saying that against Everest?

why this attraction really lacks the level of excitement and adventure that Disney fans like me look for in a Disney attraction.

:lookaroun

What Disney fans like you? You seem to be the only one on your side of the table. (Or at least, so far on your side. Nobody seems to actully fully have the distaste for this attraction you hope to see.)

This is why it's funny, you create a thread looking for other people who agree with you. Alright, that's fine. I get it so far. Then, when nobody really agrees with you, you make another thread trying again? Did you think you'd find more people the second time around?

Wilt Dasney

What Disney fans like you? You seem to be the only one on your side of the table. (Or at least, so far on your side. Nobody seems to actully fully have the distaste for this attraction you hope to see.)

This is why it's funny, you create a thread looking for other people who agree with you. Alright, that's fine. I get it so far. Then, when nobody really agrees with you, you make another thread trying again? Did you think you'd find more people the second time around?
They're too afraid to come out with all you pro-Everest people around. :lookaroun

majortom1981

I do feel that this forum is very one sided. I stated that i did not like the fact that two major attractions are down at the same time and I am still getting bashed in that forum about it.

I do feel that these forums must start accepting the fact that there are people who actually think that some of the things disney does is wrong and that people might have opinions that differ from the disney lovers on these boards.

A lot of people bash anybody who says anything bad about their beloved disney and thats why topics like this are appearing.

Disney will not get any better if people are not allowed to say negative things about it.

Trust me disney employees that are higher ups do read forums like these .

mickster

Original Poster
Look at it this way, how would you rate Everest if it weren't there? So I think it's better than no attraction on that location. :)

:lol: You know, people say the same thing sometimes about California Adventure! I'm trying to picture the billboards....

"Expedition Everest...better than...no attraction at all!" :lol:

JML42691

You have misquoted me. I said that it is against forum rules to continually post the same topic again and again.
his following post:
You make good points, but this reminds me of something I remember hearing Walt Disney say once, "I would rather entertain and hope that people learn something, than educate and hope they are entertained." Walt was a smart guy who clearly knew that his place in the world was to entertain people. We can probably all cite examples of his films, theme park attractions, etc that occasionally deviated from historical, cultural or scientific accuracy in order to maintain a high degree of entertainment value, while at the same time not "talking down" to his audiences. Not many people have been as successful at carrying on that practice, and having the instinct to know when to tip the balance somewhat so that people come away being wowed! But if we are to look to anyone to continue that value, I would think it would be his Imagineers. In the case of Everest, I can understand and respect the desire to want to make the attraction as true to the culture and traditions as possible, but not at the risk of building an attraction that is lacking in themeing and adventure. I would hazard a guess that many people expect adventure when they embark on an attraction about Mount Everest and the Yeti. I don't know that many people really come away from this ride saying, "Wow, I really feel I learned a lot about Himalayan culture and have more respect for it now."

So I think that you've actually provided some insight (although perhaps unintentionally) into why this attraction really lacks the level of excitement and adventure that Disney fans like me look for in a Disney attraction.
EpcotServo's Response:
Yea, that's what makes Everest so great.

Oh wait, were you saying that against Everest?

:lookaroun

I was thinking the same thing after his post. He is also quick to point out the smallest mistkes/faults and refuses to acknowledge any good things about Disney. If I was putting 2 & 2 together, I would think that he is a pure anti-Disney person:lookaroun . (see the rest of my post below)

Mickster's response to Epcot Servo's Post
:lol: You know, people say the same thing sometimes about California Adventure! I'm trying to picture the billboards....

"Expedition Everest...better than...no attraction at all!" :lol:

It is also kind of funny how when he is proven wrong, he (Mickster) is extremely quick to change the subject. These are only several small examples. Hey Mickster, how long before you change the subject?

mickster

Original Poster
his following post:

EpcotServo's Response:

I was thinking the same thing after his post. He is also quick to point out the smallest mistkes/faults and refuses to acknowledge any good things about Disney. If I was putting 2 & 2 together, I would think that he is a pure anti-Disney person:lookaroun . (see the rest of my post below)

Mickster's response to Epcot Servo's Post

It is also kind of funny how when he is proven wrong, he (Mickster) is extremely quick to change the subject. These are only several small examples. Hey Mickster, how long before you change the subject?

I'm not sure I'd be pointing any fingers about changing the subject if I were you. You and one or two others are trying incessantly to turn this thread into an argument, when I think I've stated pretty clearly that's not what it's about. Since you seem to be scrutinizing my posts so intently, why are you selectively ignoring the ones in which I've stated this point?

I would hope that if any moderators are reading my posts on this thread, they can see through all this and realize that's it's you and others who are trying to make it an argument. Not me. I'm just trying to have an intelligent discussion on the cons of this popular (by WDWMagic.com standards) attraction.

So,....not changing the subject but rather getting BACK TO the subject that others keep trying to get us off of....What are some other ways in which this attraction could have been better?

Joepic

I wouldn't say it's flawless, no ride is flawless. But I think it is very unique in a way, and so much detail has been put into it. Disney did a great job with the entire project. I like to think of the ride beginning at the queue line because there's just so much to see and the amount of effort put into it is substantial. The AA might just be the best in Disney, perhaps anywhere.

JML42691

I'm not sure I'd be pointing any fingers about changing the subject if I were you. You and one or two others are trying incessantly to turn this thread into an argument, when I think I've stated pretty clearly that's not what it's about. Since you seem to be scrutinizing my posts so intently, why are you selectively ignoring the ones in which I've stated this point?

I would hope that if any moderators are reading my posts on this thread, they can see through all this and realize that's it's you and others who are trying to make it an argument. Not me. I'm just trying to have an intelligent discussion on the cons of this popular (by WDWMagic.com standards) attraction.

So,....not changing the subject but rather getting BACK TO the subject that others keep trying to get us off of....What are some other ways in which this attraction could have been better?
I'm sorry that you feel that I am trying to start an argument, but you accuse me of changing the subject. I tell you, I have most certantly not changed the subject of this matter. You have also been accused/proven of changing the subject after being disproved in several other threads. This can be seen by looking through your other threads, http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=143131 for example. It is people who ignore the truth and try to blame others that make me mad. It also appears that you are quick to point out an attractions' faults in other threads. Why do you care so much about the attraction's faults.

EpcotServo

"It was you! You brought the birds here! YOU'RE EVIL!!!"

The Genii

I didn't think Everest was great. You pass by the Yeti so quickly you can barely see it, and the part where you go backwards through a curve made me dizzy and nauseous. I think they could have done a lot more with the ride.

lwalker8

Just wanted to let you all know that I laughed the whole time I read this thread...Its called, If you love Everest, don't open this thread, but clearly many people weren't able to resist opening it anyway....including me. I love Everest...but thanks for the laughs everyone.:lol:

noname70

Everest is good-but no classic. After my first ride I thought, it wouldn't have been difficult to make this ride SOOOO much better. for example more Yeti...
The backwards portion is unique though.

PigletIsMyCat

I think it really depends on how you think of E:E.

Think of it as roller coaster. It's cool. It's not terribly innovative, really. The part that flips over (is that the helix?) and then you go backwards over is really cool, and I've never done that on any other roller coaster before. The drop is cool, but mostly for the view. Hmm.. E:E isn't the greatest roller coaster. Not even one of the top 15 probably.

Now, think of it as a themed attraction. The detail in the queue, building the scene of going on an expedition through the Himilayas looking for the Yeti. The big footprints, the hiking gear, the traditional masks. Then, the flora and fauna when you first exit the load area, and the details in the hut thing you go in while the train is climbing, looking to the left to see Epcot and ToT. The broken track, where'd that come from? Falling through the mountain, the shadow Yeti angry and bellowing, the drop allowing you to see AK around you, and then just barley escaping the grasp of the Yeti, shooting right under his hairy arm as it grabs out to snatch you, as you finally find your way back to base camp.

Still, the best themed Disney ride? Nah, probably not by many people's opinion. Best coaster? Heck, no! But, was it innovative? Yes, even compared to the Matterhorn, it is a classic story told a new way. As for some of us E:E lovers defending it so much, my reasons are really sentimental. When DH and I first came to WDW on our honeymoon, the metal beamwork was not even done on E:E. We came on our first anniversary, and we could see them putting in tracks. We came on our first ever family vacation, where I convinced my widowed mother to go on vacation with my 2x divorced dad 30 years after their wedding, 20 years after their divorce, with my bro and hubby and I, in Feb of 2006. My mother was giddy to see E:E, after having seen all the specials on television, but was sad that it wouldn't be open for our visit. It turns out, it was in previews and we were able to ride it numerous times. So, it's my fave ride, not only because of the roller coaster it isn't or the themed attraction it is, but because of the special thing it was for our family. I know, it's kind of lame and mushy, but there you have it.

sknydave

Just wanted to let you all know that I laughed the whole time I read this thread...Its called, If you love Everest, don't open this thread, but clearly many people weren't able to resist opening it anyway....including me. I love Everest...but thanks for the laughs everyone.:lol:

It's been re-named. It was titled I Hate Expedition Everest, or something along those lines when the majority of the posts were made.

I don't hate Everest, I basically see it as a fancier version of Big Thunder Mountain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom