If you had to get rid of a ride, which one?

yensid67

...but I don't understand the almost cult-like following it has. QUOTE]

Pepper:

I think that the following Horizons has is based on the fact that it was an original to Epcot since its opening. Some might have another thought on this, but that's my 2 cents worth opinion on the subject.
I was a Cast Member in 98-99 and I have longed to have the entire resort back to the way it was when I was there. I guess, at least for me, its kind of keeping the things the same equals not changing the memories you have of a particular place or thing. I want to visit the WDW of 1998/1999 time because those years were the most happiet in my life.

SeaBase86

It was only boring for those wanting mindless spin-n-puke entertainment

Which is what a lot of people like these days. Yes the attendance does speak but before Test Track was ushered in I remember many calling it "boring." Just because people went to the park didn't mean they enjoyed it. It could still mean they found it boring and never returned. That's why I think Mission Space was an improvement and dare I say it Nemo did save my beloved SeaBase.

SeaBase86

I am pretty sure that the love of Horizons goes beyond people on this site. Obviously not everyone liked it but that is expected. There are some that do not like the Haunted Mansion.

As far as Epcot's reputation, a few think it is/was boring but I think the attendance speaks for itself.

My pick, Star Tours. Yep, I said it. Such a great franchise with so many possibilities and they make a simulator.:shrug:

It opened in the 80's when the newest and coolest craze was a simulator thrill ride.

Krack

Horizons seemed like an interesting, relaxing ride.... very Space Ship Earth-like actually which I like, but I don't understand the almost cult-like following it has. I do have to say though that if I had been on it years ago and went on it several times every time I went to Epcot like I do with SSE, I'd probably also be sad that it's gone.

Spaceship Earth was it's closest comparison. And, you have to remember, the World of Motion was a similar experience in the original Future World, as well. SSE and WoM were 15 minute "The History of Communication/Travel" darkrides. Horizons was a 15 minute darkride on "The Future" (how we envisioned it in the past and how we envisioned it in the 1980s).

spock

It was only boring for those wanting mindless spin-n-puke entertainment

Not true. That's actually very short sighted as a matter of fact, don't you think? If you look at some of Disney's and Universal's best attractions, there are plenty of them which do not fit the description of puke-inducing, nor do they fit the description of boring. Your statement above assumes all rides are either one or the other.

Krack

why all the hate for these 2 rides?

I can only tell you why I dislike them. The original Future World pavilions fit a template - "Here's the history of a particular topic, and here's where it's going in the future". The entire Future World was a cohesive "land" - the architecture was similar, they all had similar but instantly recognizable theme songs, they were all pavilions an entire family could experience together and they all struck a delicate balance between educational and fun.

Test Track and Mission Space are the two clearest examples of Future World distancing itself from everything I just wrote in the previous paragraph (other lesser examples would include JIYI, Nemo, Ellen, Club Cool and then now gone Wand). Couple that with the fact that everyone loves AA's and Horizons/WoM were two of the heaviest AA-filled attractions in Disney history, and the two replacements have sizable bases of vocal critics.

Pepper's Ghost

In this thread, everyone can choose to get rid of whatever ride they want. I personally love Test Track, and I'm indifferent on Mission: Space. I do have to agree though that these rides don't seem to fit into the Future World pavilion. Test Track really belongs elsewhere. That is unless they decide to make the Future World pavilion a smaller chunk of Epcot so that outlying rides like Soarin' and Test Track make more sense in their current places. If you think about it though, Future World has been dismantled piece by piece for many years now. I'm sure it will be renamed sooner or later if non-futuristic rides keep getting added.

SeaBase86

why all the hate for these 2 rides?

Because they are fun and exciting and for the newer generations I guess? I guess Epcot isn't allowed new and updated adventures?

I may be wrong but Epcot is suppose to bring joy and inspiration. Test Track and Mission: Space bring joy to a lot of people and just a thought but I guess they inspire a new generation. I see a lot of kids get off test track and talk about cars. And then MS I've heard plenty about kids wanting to become astronauts.

If Mission: Space was to close tomorrow it wouldn't be a walk on like Horizons was on it's last day.

Grove St. 805

If you had to get rid of a ride/attraction anywhere at Disney World

(Besides Imagination)
Which would it be?

I would choose _____ because it's really ____ and I have no ______ in/for it. It really makes your trip ____. If I were to replace it, it would be _______ and would be much more _____. This attraction just doesn't appeal to me because _____. I'd rather spend my time at Disney with a ____ then see it again!

I wpuld choose The Enchanted Tiki Room Under New Management because it's really a downer and I have no interest in/for it. It really makes your trip a disapointment. If I were to replace it, it would be the original Enchanted Tiki Room and would be much more better. This attraction doesn't appeal to me because it got rid of the original and is not so good as it either. I'd rather spend more time at Disney with a Laptop then see it again! :D

Yea get rid of a classic ride thats been there for 20 years, great thinking man. I personally would get rid of Soarin' because its an overrated ride that always has a 2 hour wait. Id prefer Food Rocks to still be there because it wasnt a bad show, and it fit The Land

SeaBase86

I can only tell you why I dislike them. The original Future World pavilions fit a template - "Here's the history of a particular topic, and here's where it's going in the future". The entire Future World was a cohesive "land" - the architecture was similar, they all had similar but instantly recognizable theme songs, they were all pavilions an entire family could experience together and they all struck a delicate balance between educational and fun.

Test Track and Mission Space are the two clearest examples of Future World distancing itself from everything I just wrote in the previous paragraph (other lesser examples would include JIYI, Nemo, Ellen, Club Cool and then now gone Wand). Couple that with the fact that everyone loves AA's and Horizons/WoM were two of the heaviest AA-filled attractions in Disney history, and the two replacements have sizable bases of vocal critics.

I agree with Nemo, the wand, etc. However when they destroyed the experience of going under the sea The Living Seas lost life. At least Nemo saved the exhibits (what's left of them) and the amazing SeaBase. Ellen however does show the history of energy and where we are going in the future with it. I never rode the original Universe Of Energy but I heard it was a little boring.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
Yea get rid of a classic ride thats been there for 20 years, great thinking man. I personally would get rid of Soarin' because its an overrated ride that always has a 2 hour wait. Id prefer Food Rocks to still be there because it wasnt a bad show, and it fit The Land

It's not an attraction that's been there for 20 years. It's an attraction that was replaced by a great original tiki room made by Walt Disney and replaced with "known" disney cartoon characters.

- WondersOfLife

The last original pavilion. :king:

ScorpionX

I guess but I still don't understand the obsession. A dark ride about our future vs. A thrill ride that is a very realistic depiction of a space flight.

Just my thought but I think the public would prefer the latter. Which is maybe the reason it was torn down.
Listen, Mission: SPACE killed three people. lets see hoy many people were killed by Horizons: none. Would you rather have a ride at Disney that killed three people, or none?

MKCP 1985

I would choose _Country Bear Jamboree___ because it's really _primitive___ and I have no __belief that bears are singing to me____ in/for it. It really makes your trip _to Splash Mountain much more appreciated___. If I were to replace it, it would be _with frontier characters______ and would be much more _immersive and Disney magical____. This attraction just doesn't appeal to me because _technology has passed it by____. I'd rather spend my time at Disney with a _bad haircut___ then see it again!
:wave:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I would choose _Country Bear Jamboree___ because it's really _primitive___ and I have no __belief that bears are singing to me____ in/for it. It really makes your trip _to Splash Mountain much more appreciated___. If I were to replace it, it would be _with frontier characters______ and would be much more _immersive and Disney magical____. This attraction just doesn't appeal to me because _technology has passed it by____. I'd rather spend my time at Disney with a _bad haircut___ then see it again!
:wave:
While I disagree...it certainly made me laugh. :lol:

spock

Listen, Mission: SPACE killed three people. lets see hoy many people were killed by Horizons: none. Would you rather have a ride at Disney that killed three people, or none?

So that's our standard for whether or not a ride should be closed.... if the ride "killed" someone or not?? :veryconfu I guess that means the following attractions need to be dismantled then:

1. Monorail
2. BTMRR at DL
3. CoP
4. Space Mt at DL
5. The Matterhorn
6. WDW bus transportation

captainkidd

I would choose Aladdin's Magic Carpets because it's really slow loading and I have no use for it. It really makes your trip no different at all. If I were to replace it, it would be Indiana Jones Ride would be much more fitting. This attraction just doesn't appeal to me because there are already 2 other hub and spoke rides at MK. I'd rather spend my time at Disney with a proctologist named Dr. Hook then see it again!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom