If you had to get rid of a ride, which one?

spock

I'd have to say the Speedway because it takes up SOOO much space and it's not Tomorrowland-ish. It's too carnival-like and just not up to Disney's standard. All that room could be used so much more affectively. They could put a great attraction there to rival Space Mountain!

I totally agree with this! The only potential challenge with regard to putting in a replacement attraction in this space is I wouldn't want a huge show building to ruin or disrupt the TL skyline. But I absolutely agree it is a huge amount of wasted space for an attraction that is just no longer relevant.

Some may want to flame me for this, but I also would get rid of IASM. They could replace it with a really cool dark ride, or even an e-ticket considering the size of the show building the ride is in.

Pepper's Ghost

Carousel of Progress. Everytime I see it, that stupid tune gets stuck in my head for ages.

Well, there's a great, big, beautiful tomorrooow! Shining at the end of every daaaaaaaay.....

OH MAN! :eek: Why did you do that to me??? Now I can't get it out of my head!!

I agree/disagree. While it does take up a lot of space it was one of Walt's original ideas for Tomorrowland. Autopia at DL is the only reamaining opening day attraction. And also it's popular among guest like you said if it ain't broke don't fix it. I want to see something better there like you but te truth is it's popular and a lot of people enjoy it.

Agreed. It is one of Walt's original ideas, but the topic is what ride would I get rid of. That's the one that I would get rid of. It may not be the one that a lot of other people would get rid of, but it IS the one that I would. :wave: That's the great thing about these opinion type of topics. It makes me king of WDW for a short moment while I type my idea. :) Then back to reality. :(

ScorpionX

Hi-ho, Kermit the frog here, I would choose Mission: SPACE because it's really stupid and I have no interest in it. It really makes your trip terrible. If I were to replace it, it would be New Horizons and would be much more like Future World. This attraction just doesn't appeal to me because it has killed three people. I'd rather spend my time at Disney with a donkey then see it again!

SeaBase86

Hi-ho, Kermit the frog here, I would choose Mission: SPACE because it's really stupid and I have no interest in it. It really makes your trip terrible. If I were to replace it, it would be New Horizons and would be much more like Future World. This attraction just doesn't appeal to me because it has killed three people. I'd rather spend my time at Disney with a donkey then see it again!

Please can someone tell me what was so great about Horizons? I rode it and thought it was OK nothing special. Mission Space is fun and exciting.

Mansion Butler

Tomorrowland Speedway

I don't have to go on a bad ride, but I do have to walk buy that loud, smelly, large-footprinted eye soar, whether I'm going on it or not.

Mansion Butler

Please can someone tell me what was so great about Horizons? I rode it and thought it was OK nothing special. Mission Space is fun and exciting.
I don't remember Horizons at all, but I don't think Mission: Space is particularly fun or exciting. And too many people who don't agree with me on that think it's too exciting.

I honestly don't remember Horizons, but I think I'd ride it more often than I do Mission: Space (which I did think was a great concept).

muteki

Hmm, I could do without:

M:S
Test Track
Indiana Jones: SS
LMA

on the condition that they are replaced in a timely manner.

ScorpionX

Horizons was based on a philosophy pioneered by Walt Disney. That philosophy was that if we can dream it, then we can do it. Without this philosophy, Walt Disney World, Disneyland, and maybe even Mickey Mouse would not be here with us today.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

Let's see, it showcased several REALISTIC visions of the future and gave many of us ideas for what types of things we'd like to be part of CREATING to make those visions a reality.

The same way the most popular science fiction books, series, movies, etc. have inspired people to become inventors, scientists over the years, Horizons represented a vision of the future that was quite easy to envision as being attainable with enough of effort.

EPCOT lost a huge chunk of it's soul when Horizons was torn down.

CDavid

Get rid of Test Track and Mission: Space. Neither belongs in Epcot; Mission Space doesn't belong anywhere outside of a landfill.

SeaBase86

Let's see, it showcased several REALISTIC visions of the future and gave many of us ideas for what types of things we'd like to be part of CREATING to make those visions a reality.

The same way the most popular science fiction books, series, movies, etc. have inspired people to become inventors, scientists over the years, Horizons represented a vision of the future that was quite easy to envision as being attainable with enough of effort.

EPCOT lost a huge chunk of it's soul when Horizons was torn down.

I guess but I still don't understand the obsession. A dark ride about our future vs. A thrill ride that is a very realistic depiction of a space flight.

Just my thought but I think the public would prefer the latter. Which is maybe the reason it was torn down.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
Dang, I thought this would just get like 2 or 3 posts, I need to do Mad Libs more often...:)

- WondersOfLife

The last original pavilion. :king:

spock

Just my thought but I think the public would prefer the latter. Which is maybe the reason it was torn down.

Absolutely right! As beloved as Horizons may be by people on this site, it's because of attractions like Horizons that Epcot has had a reputation for being a "boring" theme park.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Absolutely right! As beloved as Horizons may be by people on this site, it's because of attractions like Horizons that Epcot has had a reputation for being a "boring" theme park.

It was only boring for those wanting mindless spin-n-puke entertainment

Pepper's Ghost

I'm kind of sad that I never got to experience Horizons in person. My first trip to WDW was in 2000, so I just missed the opportunity, whether or not it was a good ride. I have watched it on Youtube though and I have to say that I'm not sure I get it either. Horizons seemed like an interesting, relaxing ride.... very Space Ship Earth-like actually which I like, but I don't understand the almost cult-like following it has. I do have to say though that if I had been on it years ago and went on it several times every time I went to Epcot like I do with SSE, I'd probably also be sad that it's gone.

As for Mission: Space, I've only been on it once and I wouldn't mind seeing that replaced too to be honest. It doesn't do much for me and I love thrill rides. I agree that Epcot needed (and still does need) more thrill rides, but M:S isn't the answer. At best it's a puke-inducing ride. They could've done much better.

yankspy

I am pretty sure that the love of Horizons goes beyond people on this site. Obviously not everyone liked it but that is expected. There are some that do not like the Haunted Mansion.

As far as Epcot's reputation, a few think it is/was boring but I think the attendance speaks for itself.

My pick, Star Tours. Yep, I said it. Such a great franchise with so many possibilities and they make a simulator.:shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom