If You Go Down To The Parks Today..Your In For A Big Surprise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJMoore2011

Or don't even put on ponchos. Just walk in the rain. You're on vacation so have some fun.

I would love to forget the ponchos and walk in the rain, but I have a Special Needs Daughter and the sensory input of rain falling on too much of her body leads to a melt down. So for her sake we wear the ponchos. We do our best to keep her known triggers down to a minimum and we are pro active in making sure to watch her body language for the tell tell signs that she's had her limit even if she doesn't want to stop.

And I guess that is why many things that bothers others do not get to me. In my life, in the bigger picture, there is always going to be dust somewhere, paint peeling off somewhere while we strive hard day to day to make sure she has a life she can live fully. While we know our Daughters triggers there are still many unknown. Even going to Disney while a called a vacation it was still a little stressful, was the music from the parade going to cause her to melt down? Or will the lights be the trigger? Will the meet & greets be ok seeing a young adult and not knowing that mentally she is 6 years old???

When I look at all the bumps we had at Disney World compared to the HUGE bumps we could have had, ( examples: crying from over stimulation, running and hiding because the lights on MSEP scared her, or confused and hurt feelings because Tink didn't talk with her as long as the kids before us) well honestly I will take the bumps we did have because those didn't involve tears or stares. They didn't involve having to medicate my Daughter to calm her down. They could have but they didn't because of how we, her parents handled it. "Ut oh Big Thunder Mountain has boo boo's today, we can't ride it. Would you like to go back and see Tink? OR We could go see Jessy & Woody and you get to meet TWO new friends?" The break down on Splash was all about me pointing out the things that she hadn't seen and talking about her fave part of the ride, the splash. We didn't nash our teeth and cry "oh no Big Thunder Mountain is down what will we do?? It's just not the same Disney is doing a crap job?? etc etc" Something like that would have only upset her, leading to anxiety building up until it pops and she is overwhelmed and crying and then there are stares because people see a 19 (now) year old girl crying over a ride being down.

Oh she still had a couple of meltdowns but lucky for us we timed it and they happened in the hotel room where she could do it in peace and without stares of others, then go for a relaxing swim in the pool.

In our life the little bumps we had at Walt Disney World are indeed LITTLE bumps.

EpcoTim

My head hurts...And it's only 8.00am Monday morning...:banghead:....I'll try and sum up why these issues don't bother me as much as they seem to do to certain others...I've never been to WDW in " The good old days "...Therefore I can't compare what was,to what is now. ( does that make sense ) o_O...Nothing in life is all Rosy, but to me, a Disney vacation gets me away from the real world...No stress...No bills...No worries...And I hope my next, and final trip isn't a let down..I'am sure it won't be...;)

Ok, well, since these issues don't bother you I guess they should be permanently stricken from all further discussion.

lazyboy97o

Is Walt Disney World supposed to be a P. T. Barnum operation mooching on suckers or a Disney operation that exceeds the highest of expectations?

Yeah, I noticed some things on my trip last week, but WDW is twice the size of Manhattan and roughly the size of San Fransisco, and I'm sure neither of those two places has everything working perfectly every single day.
Walt Disney World has not been that large in years due to chunks and pieces that have been sold off for development.

draybook

Then why huddle up??? Was the rain so bad that you could not walk in it??

It rained a little on my first trip, while others where huddles under things we put on our rain panchos and out we went. Though the rain did not last long, we enjoyed walking around while everyone else was hiding out. Now if it had been thunder and lightening I doubt we would have done that but it was a choice we made, to go out in the rain. Just like the choice you made to huddle with 200 other people at the Backlot gift shop. :)

This wasn't rain, it was heavy downpour. And I did walk in it. Rain doesn't bother me. Heck, we spent the last two days of our FTX in basic in a steady rain at Benning.

We weren't huddled, the 200 or so people were. It took us 5 minutes just to wade through the crowd.

And just because I'm on vacation doesn't mean I like walking around soaked. That goes especially during September when you know every attraction has the air turned up.

Goofyernmost

I guess we just sum it up as: it's way too expensive for what it is right now, or at least too expensive to be the kind of trip we'll take each year.

I just paid over $390 for a two day ticket (without hopper) and $120 on top of that to go to the Xmas party. Don't get me wrong, I chose to do this (a fool and her money are soon parted ;)) BUT I do think, with that kind of cash coming from just two guests, TDO can afford to light a fire under their own you-know-whats and fix the stuff that's wrong + actually add new attractions in a timely manner. The difference between the way Universal just gets ish done and Disney's meandering approach to construction is staggering.
Just don't lose track of the fact that, in Florida, Disney has invested billions of dollars over the last 40+ years. When you compare the two in size there isn't even anything close to each other. Universal just started investing massively and believe me that will slow up very shortly. I know that they have said that they are going to continue, but Comcast has accountants too. This faze shall pass. I do think that, if nothing else, Disney needs to fix their problems. They need to update and modernize their attractions. They need to re-imagine the use for the currently empty buildings in every park. They need to offer occasional new things (New Fantasyland for example) but they already outnumber Universal parks 2 to 1 or 4 to 2 if that fits better. Uni is going to have to spend a lot more to equal that. However, that said, when Disney does build something it needs to be spectacular like Potter or any number of Disney attractions that were created before. When doing a project they need to reign in the accountants instead of the entertainment. They owe it to their loyal Guests to offer only the best available. If they don't they will pay for it in the long haul.

KCheatle

Here's my issue with it: unfortunately, the complaining on these boards has somewhat ruined my perspective of Disney. I came to these boards because I was a huge Disney fan and wanted to be able to talk about Disney with other huge fans. I started on the Rumors board, and quickly found that it was ridiculously negative. However, I think I quit looking at it fast enough that it didn't taint my view of Disney. I still went to Disney in May, 2012 and had as great a time as ever.

But, this last September, I caught myself noticing things I'd never noticed before (and they're things I don't want to notice!!!!). And, it bummed me out. Not because of anything Disney did or didn't do, but because some people on these boards have put Disney on such a high pedestal that they will never be happy with it, and they continually try to convince everyone else on here that they are right and we are all blind. I really felt like it ruined my trip to a certain extent. This last trip was just not as fun as they've been in the past for me because of the negativity on these boards towards Disney. That's why I took like an 8-week break from these boards after I got back. I was really upset.

I wish there was a separate "Ranting" section on here so that those of us who want to avoid it can. Unfortunately, even in the most-innocent posts, the negativity seeps through and the Disney-bashers make their presence known.

I like believing in Disney magic. I like believing that they don't do things for the money, but for the happiness of their guests. I like believing that they are honestly trying every day to improve upon what they have. I don't need or want anyone trying to convince me otherwise. I wish the nay-sayers would just let us happy-Disney people be happy!

draybook

Not because of anything Disney did or didn't do, but because some people on these boards have put Disney on such a high pedestal that they will never be happy with it, and they continually try to convince everyone else on here that they are right and we are all blind.

I hate to burst your bubble, but it was DISNEY that put themselves on that pedestal. As a matter of fact, it was one Walter Elias Disney that started it all.

real mad hatter

Original Poster
Here's my issue with it: unfortunately, the complaining on these boards has somewhat ruined my perspective of Disney. I came to these boards because I was a huge Disney fan and wanted to be able to talk about Disney with other huge fans. I started on the Rumors board, and quickly found that it was ridiculously negative. However, I think I quit looking at it fast enough that it didn't taint my view of Disney. I still went to Disney in May, 2012 and had as great a time as ever.

But, this last September, I caught myself noticing things I'd never noticed before (and they're things I don't want to notice!!!!). And, it bummed me out. Not because of anything Disney did or didn't do, but because some people on these boards have put Disney on such a high pedestal that they will never be happy with it, and they continually try to convince everyone else on here that they are right and we are all blind. I really felt like it ruined my trip to a certain extent. This last trip was just not as fun as they've been in the past for me because of the negativity on these boards towards Disney. That's why I took like an 8-week break from these boards after I got back. I was really upset.

I wish there was a separate "Ranting" section on here so that those of us who want to avoid it can. Unfortunately, even in the most-innocent posts, the negativity seeps through and the Disney-bashers make their presence known.

I like believing in Disney magic. I like believing that they don't do things for the money, but for the happiness of their guests. I like believing that they are honestly trying every day to improve upon what they have. I don't need or want anyone trying to convince me otherwise. I wish the nay-sayers would just let us happy-Disney people be happy!
My oh My oh My...Thank you @KCheatle for putting into words what sometimes I find hard to say..( old age doesn't come easy ) ..I also wish there was a " Ranting " section..When I joined this site two years ago, I started to notice a small section of the same people always wanting to moan and groan about WDW..( I have noted their avatars in my Disney notebook ) And yes..The same minority, two years later, still are moaning..I feel sorry for any newcomer looking to book their first WDW vacation, and reading these doom & gloom stories...:(...

luv

My oh My oh My...Thank you @KCheatle for putting into words what sometimes I find hard to say..( old age doesn't come easy ) ..I also wish there was a " Ranting " section..When I joined this site two years ago, I started to notice a small section of the same people always wanting to moan and groan about WDW..( I have noted their avatars in my Disney notebook ) And yes..The same minority, two years later, still are moaning..I feel sorry for any newcomer looking to book their first WDW vacation, and reading these doom & gloom stories...:(...
You do realize that starting threads to complain about posters you don't like on the boards is A LOT like going to Disney and complaining about certain aspects of their operation.

You get that you've started a thread to complain about complaining.

The title may be about the parks, but the thread is actually about your complaints about other posters.

We see it, so you must.

real mad hatter

Original Poster
You do realize that starting threads to complain about posters you don't like on the boards is A LOT like going to Disney and complaining about certain aspects of their operation.

You get that you've started a thread to complain about complaining.

The title may be about the parks, but the thread is actually about your complaints about other posters.

We see it, so you must.
Well surprise..surprise...Look who it is.?...

luv

Well surprise..surprise...Look who it is.?...
If your implication is that I like Nemo, you're right. I do.

If you are referencing the fact that I dislike old men who think its cute when they physically assault teen girls, I still find that very offensive, too.

Even if Nemo wasn't one of the people you dislike so much that you had to start a thread to complain about them and even if you weren't an old man who assaulted a teen girl and posted about how you couldnt help it, the thread would remain hypocritical.

KCheatle

I hate to burst your bubble, but it was DISNEY that put themselves on that pedestal. As a matter of fact, it was one Walter Elias Disney that started it all.

I agree that Disney set its own bar. Disneyland is supposed to be "The Happiest Place on Earth." The Magic Kingdom is supposed to be "The Most Magical Place on Earth." And, in his dedication of Disneyland, Walt Disney said "to all those who come to this happy place..." None of those said it would be the best bang for your buck; that all the rides would work flawlessly all the time; that every day would be perfection. And, it shouldn't take perfection from Disney to make you happy. It shouldn't take perfection from Disney to make it the most magical. It is absolutely the most magical and/or happiest place on earth for thousands of people every day. And, I'm willing to bet you can't name one place that is more magical that the Magic Kingdom??? If you can, then these boards aren't for you.

Walt wanted it to be a happy place. The nay-sayers on this board have started to ruin Walt's dream for me and others on here. I know you will say that "Disney ruined it." But, Disney didn't ruin it for me. They may have let you down somehow. But, never forget that with the thousands of people entering those gates every day and leaving having experienced some of the greatest days of their lives, you are absolutely the minority on that position.

Now, that's not to say the minority doesn't have a voice. It does. And maybe you believe that the squeaky wheel gets the oil, and you're hoping for some change? I don't know. I don't know what the purpose is of all the negativity, other than I assume you're trying to convince others to be negative too? As the saying goes: Misery loves company.

What I do know is that my words won't convince you to like Disney again. You've made up your mind that it doesn't meet your expectations. But please remember that you are the minority. There are so many people that genuinely love Disney, and who believe deep down that the Magic Kingdom is the most magical place on earth. Please stop trying to ruin that for them. Just let them believe.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What I do know is that my words won't convince you to like Disney again. You've made up your mind that it doesn't meet your expectations. But please remember that you are the minority. There are so many people that genuinely love Disney, and who believe deep down that the Magic Kingdom is the most magical place on earth. Please stop trying to ruin that for them. Just let them believe.
Ignorance can be bliss.

A lot of people still love Disney. And Disneyland, DLP and TDL.

KCheatle

Ignorance can be bliss.

A lot of people still love Disney. And Disneyland, DLP and TDL.

Ignorance IS bliss. If there's one thing I regret in this life it's my thirst for knowledge. I was a happier person before I became lawyer. Before I became knowledgeable about all the little things in life that I need to worry about. And, I was a much happier person before I started practicing in medical malpractice and learning about all of the crazy signs and symptoms your body shows you that can be the diference between a back spasm and a heart attack.

I miss the days of ignorance. I don't want to know all of the ins-and-outs of Disney. All the risks. All the problems. All the issues that go on in the undergrounds tunnels. I don't even want to know there are underground tunnels. Ignorance is bliss. And I prefer to be blissful.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
If you are referencing the fact that I dislike old men who think its cute when they physically assault teen girls, I still find that very offensive, too.

Even if Nemo wasn't one of the people you dislike so much that you had to start a thread to complain about them and even if you weren't an old man who assaulted a teen girl and posted about how you couldnt help it, the thread would remain hypocritical.

I had forgotten about this. Glad you didn't. The harmless annoyance these threads cause is nothing compared to the feelings generated by that little anecdote once shared on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom