If You Go Down To The Parks Today..Your In For A Big Surprise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

real mad hatter

Original Poster
Good Sunday Morning To All..Now I ain't doing this thread to start an argument..:cautious:..Honest..But a recent thread on Epcots problems got me all fired up..In a curious way...I understand that Disney regulars who go,and have been going to WDW for many moons, will see things that aren't working the way they should be..Point taken..I would hate to spend $$$$$$$$$ on my vacation to find out that these things are a major disappointment.. We fly from Scotland...We arrive..We check in..We hit the parks...We enjoy the sunshine..We enjoy the rain..We join in the party and have fun...Now here's my question...Would you let these disappointments ruin your holiday, or just get on with it..??...I've read on here over the two years as a member, about South American tour groups...Families pushing their way in front of you at a parade..Complaining about the price of food & other stuff...It goes on and on..What is your attitude when things like The fountain is working, but where's the music.?.. :eek:...Or finding dust in a corner of a doom buggy..:eek:...I've met people like this before on holiday, who are constantly looking for problems..And finally if I ever encounter a problem at WDW that has me mad with rage..:mad:...I'll be on here ranting about it...:rolleyes:...Stands back and awaits the responses...:inlove:...No argues..Just conversation..

s&k'smom

I believe some people will find problems with everything. Did we have disappointments on our last trip sure but not enough to ruin our trip. With the $ you do spend I try to look at the cup as half full instead half empty. Sure little things like the crowds (well that's kinda a big thing) and DH hating the new DVC at the GF or how cold it was the day we go the the water park! However after spending so much money etc and all the stress of the last two years I tried to just enjoy. Enjoy the sunshine, enjoy the pool, enjoy lunch, the quietness of the early morning. Did we run into complete a******s oh yes we did but frankly I work at a hotel and I know true ahem a******s. Parks crowded yes but we got on all our favorite rides and there was usually something every day to irk you but I was a 1000 miles away from work, bills, housekeeping and stress. Just go with the flow.

Jenna

For me, no. I wouldn't let it annoy me. I have only been to the World 4 times (Northern Ireland) and to be honest it's a real treat and privilege when I go there, there is nothing that I would let 'ruin' the trip. Yes the weather may not always be up to par, yes we may have to queue longer than we'd like and sure there are going to be things that need to be updated but for me Disney is genuinely about escaping with my family to somewhere where you have no reason to worry or get stressed. There's plenty of stuff that is annoying in everyday life without worrying about (what to me are) minor details.

Matt_Black

Yeah, I noticed some things on my trip last week, but WDW is twice the size of Manhattan and roughly the size of San Fransisco, and I'm sure neither of those two places has everything working perfectly every single day. A site that size catering to that many people every day is going to have some issues. The fact that every thing looks as nice as it does and runs smoothly for the most part is a credit to each and every cast member. And honestly? My trip last week was even better than my trip in December of 2012. I'm still riding the high- I've yet to encounter the full-on "Post Disney Depression" that some posters succumb to.

Since1976

I don't think Disney park fans are too whiny. I mean, this is a *discussion* board, and if everything we talked about here was sunshine and daisies and dole whips it would make for pretty boring conversation.

After 10 years being on here I've learned that people need to vent and where better than with other people who "get it." When I'm not in a similarly negative mood I simply skip over those threads.

Spikerdink

When I am in WDW, I don't go looking for things that aren't pristine. I don't see the burned out bulb, I see the great looking display. I don't see the chipped paint, I see overall great theming that transports me away from my problems if only for a short while.

I have gone when my favorite attractions are down for refurb - I remember when I looked at Splash and wished I could be riding instead of watching workers powerwash down the tracks. But I knew that the next time I went, the ride would be just as great as I remembered... I just picked up and went to do something else and had a great time.

There have been times where I have met people who were/are less than stellar - like the guy who wanted to fight me because I was walking into the Haunted Mansion 'in front of him' or when the porker in the wheelchair and her husband deliberately rammed my friend with the sow's chair because he walked alongside them. But I feel better knowing that the bodies will never be found and the gators have some fresh meat to enjoy... But let it bother me? No chance.

real mad hatter

Original Poster
When I am in WDW, I don't go looking for things that aren't pristine. I don't see the burned out bulb, I see the great looking display. I don't see the chipped paint, I see overall great theming that transports me away from my problems if only for a short while.

I have gone when my favorite attractions are down for refurb - I remember when I looked at Splash and wished I could be riding instead of watching workers powerwash down the tracks. But I knew that the next time I went, the ride would be just as great as I remembered... I just picked up and went to do something else and had a great time.

There have been times where I have met people who were/are less than stellar - like the guy who wanted to fight me because I was walking into the Haunted Mansion 'in front of him' or when the porker in the wheelchair and her husband deliberately rammed my friend with the sow's chair because he walked alongside them. But I feel better knowing that the bodies will never be found and the gators have some fresh meat to enjoy... But let it bother me? No chance.
Well put young man..;)Hope the gators like sirloin,as it looks like the fillet is off the menu..:hungry:

luv

A dear friend of mine put it this way:
"If you never had a filet at Ruth's Chris, then the sirloin at Applebee's will be a real treat."

Those of us who were fortunate enough to experience and fall in love with EPCOT Center 20+ years ago have tasted that filet.
Agreed.

I've heard fans say it is impossible to keep restrooms clean, for example...because there are so many people using them.

But some of us remember when they did that impossible thing. They did it very, very well, too.

copcarguyp71

Hatter...I appreciate your love for the magic and please understand that I share that love. I do not come on the boards and waste my time spewing hatred or misinformation, I deal in facts. Everyone is entitled to enjoy a vacation at their own level. I post my point of view and walk away and allow others to do the same. I enjoy a point counterpoint as well and unless someone calls me to the mat on something I take an online forum for what it is...a melting pot. My most recent trip report shows good and bad things that were noted. I have been going to the world since 1977 and my opinion is that for every year we move away from 1996 (what I consider the pinnacle of WDW even without AK) I see things that are less than they were the previous year.

Now, perhaps this is also an american point of view as well. Our economy is vastly different and as such perhaps we view value for the dollar differently or maybe just I do. It could be growing up with little to nothing and having worked very hard to make my life what it is (no, I am not saying others have not done the same) that makes me demand ROI for my dollar. I guess my real point is that you have to understand that others see things differently than you do and that some view certain things as a huge letdown or (like me) see certain systemic issues that are harbingers of what we feel is to come and it makes us sad that what was seems like it will never be again....the old saying "you can't go home again" may be an accurate description.

I do not see the point in arguing pixie dust versus non-rosy glasses or dealing in specifics on this thread as I would really rather see it unfold without the usual caps lock slap fight...I think it is a valid discussion. I value your opinion as an enthusiast and all I ask is that you respect my opinion to feel however I want to as well regardless of whether it parallels your own or not.

We are taking a break after nine trips and will watch the boards here and elsewhere and perhaps think about returning in 2017 ..at least that is our plan for now.

Last edited:

real mad hatter

Original Poster
Hatter...I appreciate your love for the magic and please understand that I share that love. I do not come on the boards and waste my time spewing hatred or misinformation, I deal in facts. Everyone is entitled to enjoy a vacation at their own level. I post my point of view and walk away and allow others to do the same. I enjoy a point counterpoint as well and unless someone calls me to the mat on something I take an online forume for what it is...a melting pot. My most recent trip report shows good and bad things that were noted. I have been going to the world since 1977 and my opinion is that for every year we move away from 1996 (what I consider the pinnacle of WDW even without AK) I see things that are less than they were the previous year.

Now, perhaps this is also an american point of view as well. Our economy is vastly different and as such perhaps we view value for the dollar differently or maybe just I do. It could be growing up with little to nothing and having worked very hard to make my life what it is (no, I am not saying others have not done the same) that makes me demand ROI for my dollar. I guess my real point is that you have to understand that others see things differently than you do and that some view certain things as a huge letdown or (like me) see certain systemic issues that are harbingers of what we feel is to come and it makes us sad that what was seems like it will never be again....the old saying "you can't go home again" may be an accurate description.

I do not see the point in arguing pixie dust versus non-rosy glasses or dealing in specifics on this thread as I would really rather see it unfold without the usual caps lock slap fight...I think it is a valid discussion. I value your opinion as an enthusiast and all I ask is that you respect my opinion to feel however I want to as well regardless of whether it parallels your own or not.

We are taking a break after nine trips and will watch the boards here and elsewhere and perhaps think about returning in 2017 ..at least that is our plan for now.
I do respect your opinion..As I do others..In fact I can tell what replies are coming my way,before even looking at their reply, by just looking at certain peoples avatar..I hope you do make it back in 2017, and I hope it's more of a magic vacation, than a tragic one..;)

EpcoTim

Somebody already started the same type of troll-flame thread. http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/you-hate-everything-about-it-yet-you-still-go.874623/

I don't understand why people who don't love every single little minute of the place are painted as haters and people who let the little things ruin their vacation. Just because someone doesn't like paying top dollar for what is the equivalent of low grade dog food means they hate Disney? Are people supposed to happy that a grown woman shoved their kids out of their spots at a parade and then got violent when they confronted her? No ones complaining about "dust in the corner of a doom buggy". Paint that picture if you want, but it's not true. Just like the thread about "hating everything"--that's a load of garbage too. People are complaining about whole parks being in disarray. Parks that used to be testaments to what a great company Disney was. Just because someone appreciates and misses the way things used to be doesn't make them a complainer or a hater. What's wrong with wanting Disney to be its best? What's wrong with not liking or having a different opinion about something? Well when it comes to Disney plenty, I guess. If your not sniffing dust 24/7 and loving how they dumbed down your favorite ride to the point of utter stupidity, then your just a Disney-hating whiner. Eat that disgusting 7 dollar hot-dog in silence or be cast from these shores.

Now all we need is some "don't go, makes the wait times less for my family" responses and we've got a classic.

Susan Savia

We don't go to WDW to find fault in the rides, ques, other visitors, food etc. We come to enjoy the beauty of the parks, have some good family time and enjoy the experiences there. We've are long time AP holders and so what if there is dust on the wall of an attraction or one of the light bulbs is out, thats not what it is all about. Some folks will find fault with anything. It will always be that way.

epcotisbest

Here is a quote from my Sept. trip report. "The Jungle Cruise was not running, being refurbished. So we went over to another of our favorites, SFRT."
That kinda sums up for us how we handle something like that. The Jungle Cruise was down when we were there...well big whoop. There are still 1001 other things to do. 1002 if you count Captain EO (which I don't).
OK, I made up the numbers...I don't know how many things there are to do, see and enjoy, but we do, see and enjoy so many things on a WDW trip that we have, in 30 years of going, always come home with wonderful memories of a wonderful trip.
Yes, it has changed, yes even gone downhill with some major changes, and yes maintenance and cast members are not like they used to be. We still love it. Those rose-colored glasses we wear work pretty well I suppose.

Last edited:

DVC4bestvacations

Let me say this about that. You can get too much of a good thing. When my kids were young we would visit WDW every year. Today our vacations at WDW are much less frequent. There is only so much magic to be had there. When you try and squeeze that last little bit of magic disappointment sets in. You become more critical of the show. When walking into the MK for the first time on my vacation is like seeing an old friend you haven't seen in 2,3 or 5 years. You remember all the good things about your friend not the things that he does that bug the cr*p out of you. (when you see too much of him) Step into the magic enjoy the show. But don't overdo, the magic looses its edge. Less is more!

Hatter thanks for starting this thread!

AndyS2992

I fly from England every four years and we do notice these things and is does put a bit of a downer as we have paid thousands to go yet are not getting much value for money given the sorry state if the place. Why should I pay a huge premium to visit Disney in crappy condition when I can pay a few hundred and go somewhere equally as enjoyable? I try not to let it ruin things but it means less value for money and ruins the 'magic'. If I want to visit a rundown theme park I'll pay £25 and go to Alton Towers.

copcarguyp71

Let me say this about that. You can get too much of a good thing. When my kids were young we would visit WDW every year. Today our vacations at WDW are much less frequent. There is only so much magic to be had there. When you try and squeeze that last little bit of magic disappointment sets in. You become more critical of the show. When walking into the MK for the first time on my vacation is like seeing an old friend you haven't seen in 2,3 or 5 years. You remember all the good things about your friend not the things that he does that bug the cr*p out of you. (when you see too much of him) Step into the magic enjoy the show. But don't overdo, the magic looses its edge. Less is more!

Hatter thanks for starting this thread!

Well put and I wholeheartedly agree!

epcotisbest

Here is my entry to the earlier mentioned trip report rewritten:

"The Jungle Cruise was down and the trip ruined. We planned our entire trip around the Jungle Cruise and it was not running. How can they call themselves a family theme park, yet when families go they can't ride the Jungle Cruise? We went over to main street and found a bench to sit on to plan our reaction. There was gum on the bench. In the old days, Walt would have never let this happen. He planned gum free benches and the place just is not what it used to be. The bench needed painting too. And the lovebugs...they were flying around like it was Florida or something. I just don't get it. We pay good money to come here and something like this happens...never going back I tell you...never. And the crowds...don't even get me started. It was never this crowded before. If they have all this money coming in they can hire more cast members to keep the bathrooms clean. Never going back I tell you...never. Tomorrow Epcot...I dread seeing that place! Then AK...nothing there so we will only be subjected to it till about noon. DHS...we don't even go there any more."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom