If You Go Down To The Parks Today..Your In For A Big Surprise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCheatle

Sorry, but the only ones that are ruining Walts dream for you is TDO. It's simply the people here pointing it out to you on here instead of filling your head with gee golly isn't it perfect One Republic filled commercials where life is swell at the MK and there's nothing wrong.

And again, I love the parks themselves and the feeling I get when I'm on property. It's the management and dissection of quality attractions in favor of crappy technology that they want to use to encourage you to plan out your whole vacation.

And these boards are for me and whomever else enjoys Disney.

That's the issue, though. I don't want it "pointed it out" to me. If I see it on my own, that's one thing. But, I didn't ask for it. I didn't ask anyone to tell me everything they see wrong with Disney. But, for some reason, people feel very inclined to do so. People are very quick to criticize, and it's sad. There is SO MUCH that Disney does right. SO MUCH. But so many people are fixated on the wrongs, that it detracts from just how wonderful of an experience Disney really is.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
That's the issue, though. I don't want it "pointed it out" to me. If I see it on my own, that's one thing. But, I didn't ask for it. I didn't ask anyone to tell me everything they see wrong with Disney. But, for some reason, people feel very inclined to do so. People are very quick to criticize, and it's sad. There is SO MUCH that Disney does right. SO MUCH. But so many people are fixated on the wrongs, that it detracts from just how wonderful of an experience Disney really is.
Yes, there is much Disney does right. But this is also a discussion forum, and people are allowed (within reason) to speak to what they see as issues with the parks, or TWDC as a whole....

hellowonderland

I don't particularly think anyone was trying to pop your Disney bubble or make you feel that you're wrong for wanting to just focus on the positive. Rather, people are just expressing their honest and valid disappointments or opinions with what's happening in the parks. It's like, recently, I had a meltdown (well, almost) about a book's ending and went on GoodReads specifically to find other people who felt the same way. I needed to share my soul-destroying rage over the way the author chose to end the series. I wasn't trying to rain on anyone's parade or tell them if they liked the book, they were wrong. I just wanted to know I wasn't alone (that sounds melodramatic, but you know what I mean... :p)

Loving Disney doesn't mean a person can't be negative about it. I come here to discuss lots of things - all right, mainly cupcakes and margaritas -- but yeah, sometimes I want to talk about how frustrating I find TDO or rant about rides breaking down or... well you get the picture. And that's out of love. If I didn't care, I wouldn't even bother.

Nemo14

Your welcome. ;)

Surprises abound, lol.

Your or You're?
wink.gif

draybook

So pointing out the bad things is sad? I can't speak for anyone else but when I complain I make sure to pass it along to Guest Services, so it's not just hot air being blown about. Why would it be sad to point out issues and hope that they are fixed? And for what it's worth, I also convey the wonderful experiences that we had to GS as well. I'm not just going to tell them the bad without the good.

lazyboy97o

I'm inclined to disagree that my post is a contradiction. I think it's stating the obvious. I was unaware of an "ignore" button. But, now, I will use it. And, it is true that the negativity colors my perception. I was completely unaware of any problems with rides until this board. And, I didn't come here to learn about ride-problems. I came to talk about my favorite place and all of the things that make it my favorite place. Instead, I'm bombarded by criticism after criticism - reminder after reminder that my favorite place isn't all that great after all. And, it's sad, because I know the majority of people on this board came to it because of their LOVE for Disney, not to hear critics.

I don't question the truth of the nay-sayers. Having just returned 8 weeks ago, I saw a lot of things that I didn't before because of the criticism on here. And, I was perfectly content not seeing it before. I have no desire to "evaluate" or "grade" Disney. I just want to enjoy it. But some of my enjoyment was stripped away.

And, you'd better mind yourself in criticizing those who use Disney as an escape. I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of people who travel to Disney use it as an escape from the real world. I'm happy to admit that I'm one of them. My real-world is stressful and I love using Disney to escape. I don't think that means I've got "bigger issues." I think you're on the brink of taking a perfectly acceptable debate and making it personal.
Do you think a film critic becomes a film critic because he hates films? No person without passion and knowledge can give a proper critique. I do not spend time discussing and critiquing sports because I know knowing about it and have no passion for it and if I tried, I'd look like a fool. And part of that passion is a desire for knowledge and at some point you're going to hit that wall of where the negativity arises. It is inevitable unless you refuse to think and participate in actual discussion. Even people only sharing positive stories can have this effect because as you admit, there is truth to at least some of the negativity and some of those stories would invite comparison where today's Walt Disney World is lacking.

There is a difference between taking a break and running away. You're not a drug addict for using a prescribed medicine, but it doesn't mean that there are not drug addicts using prescription medicines.

lazyboy97o

Negative Nancy Alert

For those who would be interested, last year Passport to Dreams Old & New posted a wonderful 1972 article from a hospitality trade magazine on the operation of Walt Disney World. It is an amazing read that serves as a pointed contrast to how Walt Disney World is operated in the present.
http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2012/09/how-it-was-done-part-one.html
http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2012/09/how-it-was-done-part-two.html
http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2012/10/how-it-was-done-part-three.html
http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2012/10/how-it-was-done-part-four.html

Last edited:

copcarguyp71

The only way to accomplish what you seek is to dig a hole and bury your head in it. I know it comes off as assy and smarmy but coming onto an online forum hoping for pixies and unicorn poop will always be a letdown no matter if it is Disney, Ford, Quisinart or whatever other topic may have an enthusiast following, point and counterpoint are what make up a forum...if you want only good news then go over to the moms board or one of Disney's derivative sites.

Ralphlaw

Often, the same people who complain are the least accomplished. They never did much of anything themselves and/or they're germophobes and neatfreaks. I love my vacations. When things go imperfectly, I'm usually fine. Yeah, we've all got our quirks, but I'd be really really stupid to let a few burnt out lights or missing effects ruin my vacation. I do not do my job perfectly, and I don't expect perfection from anyone else. It's okay to notice a few things, write about them on the boards, and expect improvement; but I refuse to let it ruin my valuable vacation time.

With that being said, let's see what happens now that John Lasseter's in charge. Carsland is great, and I'm expecting big things in the coming years in all of the parks.

draybook

Often, the same people who complain are the least accomplished. They never did much of anything themselves and/or they're germophobes and neatfreaks.

Not a neat freak or a *germaphobe. Can't say that I've reinvented the way computer processors are made or anything spectacular but I am a US Army vet and I made three awesome children. I work 54-62 hours per week supporting dialysis patients while supporting my family and I was finally able to go back to school for my IT degree. As a matter of fact, I actually had a perfect 4.0 GPA back in the Spring. Am I "accomplished" enough for your consideration?

Sans Souci

Not a neat freak or a *germaphobe. Can't say that I've reinvented the way computer processors are made or anything spectacular but I am a US Army vet and I made three awesome children. I work 54-62 hours per week supporting dialysis patients while supporting my family and I was finally able to go back to school for my IT degree. As a matter of fact, I actually had a perfect 4.0 GPA back in the Spring. Am I "accomplished" enough for your consideration?

+1

Just to dove tail off of what you're saying, being a germaphobe or a neat freak typically falls under the diagnosis of OCD. OCD and OCPD are strongly linked to individuals who are high achievers or perfectionists, so that entire first sentence of his made no sense.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Often, the same people who complain are the least accomplished. They never did much of anything themselves and/or they're germophobes and neatfreaks. I love my vacations. When things go imperfectly, I'm usually fine. Yeah, we've all got our quirks, but I'd be really really stupid to let a few burnt out lights or missing effects ruin my vacation. I do not do my job perfectly, and I don't expect perfection from anyone else. It's okay to notice a few things, write about them on the boards, and expect improvement; but I refuse to let it ruin my valuable vacation time.

With that being said, let's see what happens now that John Lasseter's in charge. Carsland is great, and I'm expecting big things in the coming years in all of the parks.
So glad this isn't a thread to pass judgment on those that disagree with your point of view.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom