If you could be a CM, would you?

If you had the once in a lifetime chance to be a CM, would you?

• Yes. In a heart beat. It would be a dream come true.

Votes: 101 83.5%
  • No. It would ruin too much of the magic.

Votes: 20 16.5%

• Total voters

AREM

Original Poster
Some feel that it would ruin too much of the magic. I couldn't disagree more. That very magic that I feel when I walk through those gates, would amplify if I were a CM. I would have the best day of my life every day at work. Honestly.

Its like I always say, I could have the lowest job in that place, and I would be the happiest guy in the entire world.

And it may be true that I would get stressed cause of all those people. And even if I were facing a crowd of thousands of people, all yelling and kicking and screaming, but everytime I would walk past that Castle, it would make it all worth it. Every angry guest. It would make it worth it.

And if I got to make just ONE person's vacation special, make one little girl's day, or just to see a child smile when meeting Cinderella, or Ariel, I'm telling you, it would make me feel like my life made a difference.

That is why I want to be a CM.

rock_doctor

Absolutely! I would love to teach at the world. I would be so cool to create a multi-day program that would teach guests about the different aspects of the world such as environmental control/protection, energy resources and conservation, crowd control, computer control of light, music and effects and so on... I don't mean just a back stage tour but actual lessons and field trips to behind the scenes in areas that are not allowed to quests.

When i was a kid they had a program similar to this called "the wonders of walt disney world" and the day long classes were awesome. But it was for kids i want to do this for adults and young adults.

Good thread, Disney may get a couple good ideas for things to add....

WishIWasAtWDW

i would love to be a cm. i feel like its something i really need to do in my lifetime. it would be neat to see wdw from a different perspective.

sbkline

Wow, the vote so far is 18 to 1, and I'm the ONE! :ROFLOL:

I've thought about this question myself, and I am convinced it would ruin the magic for me and I would want no part of working there. Living in Central Illinois, for me, it's not just WDW itself, but the entire experience of going on vacation that I cherish. Going through the normal routine for the whole year (or more, if I can't go every single year), it's special to me to have that trip to look forward to. Especially as winter sets in and I freeze my butt off for 5 or 6 months, it's nice to dream about that trip coming up in April. Then, the experience of April finally arriving and packing up and doing a nice long road trip. Going through the beautiful scenery of Tennessee and Georgia, seeing the familiar sights of trips gone by, talking to my wife about memories of previous trips and all the mentions of "remember that year when..." as we go by familiar landmarks on the interstate. These are all part of the experience for me that would be ruined if I lived and worked right there in it and didn't have that special treat of that annual vacation to look forward to.

Then, of course, there's also the fact that WDW itself would become routine and commonplace. Rather than spend the year looking forward to the trip, I would be seeing it every day and it would become part of the routine and would lose that special appeal. I'm afraid I would be like that guy on the old "Dunkin Donuts" commercial, walking out the door saying, in a less than enthusiastic tone: "time to make the donuts!"

To me, I always compare it to one's childhood. You think your friends toys are the coolest things in the world and that your toys are so boring. Because you see yours everyday and take them for granted, but you only see your friends' toys on those occasions when you go to his house. Then, since that toy is so awesome, you get one of your own. It's totally cool for the first week or two, then you get used to it, and it gets thrown in the toybox with the rest of the toys that you take for granted, and you forget about it. I think it would be the same way with WDW. To me, it's an awesome experience that I can look forward to throughout the year, because it's not something I do or see everyday. But move down there and see it everyday, and suddenly, it's not as cool as it used to be when it was something you had to save up for, plan and look forward to.

Then, there's also the aspect of ruining the illusion. Walking out back and seeing that there's old rusty trash dumpsters in the back and that the back of the building isn't nearly as pretty as the front, where all the guests see. Experiencing how rude the other CMs can be to fellow employees, no matter how friendly and professional they may be for the guests to see. Etc, etc, etc.

So no, count me out. I'll stick with enjoying it as a special treat once every year (if that...or maybe even twice a year if finances would allow), but not any more than that. I would hate for it to become part of the humdrum routine, to where a trip to boring old Illinois then becomes the thing to look forward to!

AREM

Original Poster
Wow, the vote so far is 18 to 1, and I'm the ONE! :ROFLOL:

I've thought about this question myself, and I am convinced it would ruin the magic for me and I would want no part of working there. Living in Central Illinois, for me, it's not just WDW itself, but the entire experience of going on vacation that I cherish. Going through the normal routine for the whole year (or more, if I can't go every single year), it's special to me to have that trip to look forward to. Especially as winter sets in and I freeze my butt off for 5 or 6 months, it's nice to dream about that trip coming up in April. Then, the experience of April finally arriving and packing up and doing a nice long road trip. Going through the beautiful scenery of Tennessee and Georgia, seeing the familiar sights of trips gone by, talking to my wife about memories of previous trips and all the mentions of "remember that year when..." as we go by familiar landmarks on the interstate. These are all part of the experience for me that would be ruined if I lived and worked right there in it and didn't have that special treat of that annual vacation to look forward to.

Then, of course, there's also the fact that WDW itself would become routine and commonplace. Rather than spend the year looking forward to the trip, I would be seeing it every day and it would become part of the routine and would lose that special appeal. I'm afraid I would be like that guy on the old "Dunkin Donuts" commercial, walking out the door saying, in a less than enthusiastic tone: "time to make the donuts!"

To me, I always compare it to one's childhood. You think your friends toys are the coolest things in the world and that your toys are so boring. Because you see yours everyday and take them for granted, but you only see your friends' toys on those occasions when you go to his house. Then, since that toy is so awesome, you get one of your own. It's totally cool for the first week or two, then you get used to it, and it gets thrown in the toybox with the rest of the toys that you take for granted, and you forget about it. I think it would be the same way with WDW. To me, it's an awesome experience that I can look forward to throughout the year, because it's not something I do or see everyday. But move down there and see it everyday, and suddenly, it's not as cool as it used to be when it was something you had to save up for, plan and look forward to.

I certainly understand, and I fear that that would happen with me.

But, I think that the guest interaction would keep things fresh and exciting. :)

And regarding the comment that street sweepers get the best interaction, I don't doubt it one bit. As a matter of fact, I would be more inclined to be a street sweeper than a ride operator. Honestly. To get to move around freely, and talk with people, help with questions, and be able to walk past that big, beautiful castle whenever I needed a little jolt of magic........:D

Wilt Dasney

A College Program in one's youth can be the best way to find out. ;)

I had a frontline job in the parks, and enjoyed it, but knew pretty quickly that it wasn't my "calling."

the-reason14

Once upon a time, I somewhat wanted to. Back when I was maybe 12 or 13 years old, but even then it wasnt for sure. A few years ago, after talking to a cp cm, the idea crossed my mind. Itd be a great way to meet new people from all over, and get paid as well as go to college, and work at a place you already love to go. But now, I would have to say no I wouldnt. Im content with being at home and going to college so, the cp would be out for me. You dont really get paid too much, and cms deal with ALOT from guests, and I know me, itd be hard to smile 24/7 esp when a guest is acting stupid. Its like, it wouldnt matter how much I was trained Id probably just go off on them. Plus, it would kind of ruin the magic for me, so in all I would not want to work at WDW.

rickmusic53

Some feel that it would ruin too much of the magic. I couldn't disagree more. That very magic that I feel when I walk through those gates, would amplify if I were a CM. I would have the best day of my life every day at work. Honestly.

Its like I always say, I could have the lowest job in that place, and I would be the happiest guy in the entire world.

And it may be true that I would get stressed cause of all those people. And even if I were facing a crowd of thousands of people, all yelling and kicking and screaming, but everytime I would walk past that Castle, it would make it all worth it. Every angry guest. It would make it worth it.

And if I got to make just ONE person's vacation special, make one little girl's day, or just to see a child smile when meeting Cinderella, or Ariel, I'm telling you, it would make me feel like my life made a difference.

That is why I want to be a CM.
very well said. one thing....when was the last time you saw an unhappy, angry or sad person at WDW?? I mean really, when was the last time

I'm extremely excited about my CP because of the guest interaction. If I can just make one person smile....have a good impact on just one person's vacation....that will make it completely worth it! Haha I'm of course going to go above and beyond for every guest. Who wouldn't want to be at Disney World every day, anyways :veryconfu :shrug:

Captain Hank

very well said. one thing....when was the last time you saw an unhappy, angry or sad person at WDW?? I mean really, when was the last time
Honestly, pretty much on a daily basis. There aren't that many of them, compared to the many wonderful Guests out there, but they're an extremely vocal minority.

Mansion Butler

Years later, I still enjoy it. WDW is definitely not the same thing to me it use to be, but it's still "magical" in different ways. When I'm in the Magic Kingdom every day, the castle doesn't (always) make me warm and fuzzy inside, but I find appreciation for little things and a happy routine in a happy place.

I_heart_Tigger

I wondered the same thing before I worked there. I did a year and a half in '96-'97 and have gone back on vacation 7 times since. It does have a different feeling the first time your back after working there but it didn't take long before I found I was out of "CM mode" and back to "Guest Mode".

I still walk into MK and have the feeling of a loss of breath and the tears welling up just a bit when I catch my first glimpse of the castle. I may know a couple little secrets that the average guest doesn't but some would say that being on this board and having the "inside scoop" or studying all things Disney and knowing how things are made and brought to reality in the parks would also "ruin the magic"

In my opinion it only ruins the magic if you let it. Besides I always have the great time I spent there, still keep in touch with my Disney friends from all over the world and still get that expression of awe when someone says "You worked in DISNEY WORLD!!!!????" :eek::sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom