If they built another Disney Theme Park in the US, where would it be?

flavious27

Well, let me burst your Pa. bubble. I was a police officer in the State of Texas for the last 27 years and rest assured, there is not now, nor was there 10 years ago, any such law on the books. Perhaps you looked too young to purchase alcohol, or as a previous poster said maybe there was something wrong with your ID. If you have a valid ID/Drivers license from another state, it is and has been perfectly legal to purchase alcohol and beer here.

By the way, sounds like your head of HR, wasn't quite up on his/her knowledge either. We have the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC), not the Texas Liquor Control Board, and the TABC doesn't make liquor laws, the Legislature does.

I also have not ever heard of a law like that or restriction in any state that I have purchased a drink in.

Crazy Harry

By a show of hands, who hasn't had Disney looking for land in their area? I remember that rumor surfacing back when we lived in GA. It has certainly been mentioned several times up here in TN, especially with Dollywood & the area growing. But in all seriousness, is there a part of America which has not had this rumor pop up? Apparently these phantom developers have been scoping open acres all over the country. At least that's what I heard from a WDW bus driver once. ;)

I heard of Disney looking at land in Milwaukee where the Summerfest grounds currently are. That proves they have looked everywhere. :ROFLOL:

By the way, is it just me, or is the roflol animation moving faster these days :shrug: I think he may need an intervention...

flavious27

I heard of Disney looking at land in Milwaukee where the Summerfest grounds currently are. That proves they have looked everywhere. :ROFLOL:

By the way, is it just me, or is the roflol animation moving faster these days :shrug: I think he may need an intervention...

Doesn't disney want to buy out the pine barrens, million acres of family fun!

inluvwithbeast

I should state my personal experience with Texas is limited to an hour or 2 in the Dallas airport, so I don't have any anecdotes to add...but I did find this page.

http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/enforcement/age_verification.asp

The only relevant portions seem to be

"There are some other retailers in Texas that will only accept a Texas Driver's License or Texas Identification Card as “valid identification” to purchase alcoholic beverages."

and

"A store, bar or restaurant might or might not sell alcohol to a person with an expired driver's license, a foreign passport or other ID. What's acceptable in any establishment is a matter of that establishment's private business policies."

According to that page, Texas state law doesn't require retailers to ask for any form of ID at all...but they can be penalized for selling to minors if they didn't see some form of ID first.

People have been known to go down to TX to buy 6pt beer (and wine etc) and take it back to OK. More accessible there. Here you can only buy from a liquor store that closes at 9pm. It's cheaper too.

inluvwithbeast

By a show of hands, who hasn't had Disney looking for land in their area? I remember that rumor surfacing back when we lived in GA. It has certainly been mentioned several times up here in TN, especially with Dollywood & the area growing. But in all seriousness, is there a part of America which has not had this rumor pop up? Apparently these phantom developers have been scoping open acres all over the country. At least that's what I heard from a WDW bus driver once. ;)

Oklahoma. Nuff said.

Wilt Dasney

That's what I was thinking. An early america/colonial theme in all honesty is one of the few themes Disney has yet to exploit.

:lookaroun

liberty_bell_and_hall_buiter.jpg

DryCreek

Anyway, I agree with everyone saying Texas somewhat near DFTW. Disney would be competing with Six Flags and somewhat with Great Wolf Lodge.

Sorry, but in my humble opinion, neither of those two "attractions" come anywhere near to providing the slightest bit of competition to WDW or DL!

Six Flags in Arlington has really shown its age in the last few years, and coupled with the quick trip bankruptcy I feel that even with my steep work-related discount I can't force myself to go there any more!

skyzoober

it's a bit of a dilemma really, new park or 5th gate....
my personal opinion is that they've run out of ideas to populate an entire new park, when there is quite a bit lacking in DAK and DHS. Most of the ideas could go into there.
a third resort could be a copy of the best bits of the exiting parks, making it the number 1 destination for Disney fans.
nothing would be even sketched till FLE, Shanghai, HK and DHS works are completed, even if they had a location in mind right now.
in answer to the OP, Texas would get my vote, it has all the "qualifications" that Walt would have looked for...weather, space...plus a bevvy of transportation links. the appeal to mexicans would be huge too, but would take a chunk out of WDW visitor numbers.
all in all, if people can afford disney, then they will go to WDW or DLR. they just want them maximising their potential.

slappy magoo

Something I always thought would be an interesting experiment (especially since it wouldn't be done with my money :D ) would be for Disney to own and operate "destination" malls. Basically, take some of the elements of the Downtown Disney shopping experience, some of the elements that people seem to enjoy about Disneyquest, and create a mall that has somewhat-unique entertainment options and Disney style themeing throughout.

Think of a traditional t-shaped mall, with four anchor stores, one for each main compass point. The North anchor would be a big Disney store, something along the size of what's in DTD or in NYC. South anchor would be a multiplex that, aside from current movies, would also have a retro dinner-theater, where people can dine while watching classic Disney movies and shorts. The east anchor would house a few versions of attractions akin to what is offered at Disneyquest, ride simulators 3-D shoot 'em ups. And the West anchor would feature a family-oriented experiences that are more physical, be it laser tag, rock climbing, a fake Boardwalk with midway-style games of chance and skill, etc. Throughout the other stores in the mall would be areas with smaller simulators or indoor attractions, as well as stores that fit in appropriately with a Disney-themed shopping experience. So probably no head shops, no Victoria's Secret, and no other anchor stores like a Macy's. The food court, aside from traditional food court fare, has at least one Disney-themed restaurant, which is based on WDW itself, with seating areas based on parks or MK lands or even resorts. Some of the counter service restaurants could even have the sort of food or treats one usually only can get at a Disney park, be they ginormous turkey legs or Dole Whips, using the same recipes used at the parks and resorts.

And of course, somewhere near the middle of the mall, a Disney-specific travel store, for people compelled to make plans right then and there, surrounded by the magic of Disney and the allure of more. Probably a DVC outlet too because they're like Body Snatcher pods, they're everywhere.
The important thing is, while they try to have things to do to appeal to everyone, the Disney theme would make it less likely it would become a teen hangout like most other malls that then turn off parents from going with children. It would be a place where families would almost-always outnumber unsupervised kids, so while there would be security, there would also be a lot of self-policing, and disincentives for kids to hang out to cause trouble.

Paying to do attractions would be a throwback to the old MK admission system. It's free to come in to the mall, and you can window shop all day long without spending a dime if you want. But to do any of the attractions, you can pay for tickets or a POP fee to do everything that's available to do in the mall all day long.

Is it a theme park? No. I'm not even going to say it's a close substitute. But it would be a way to get small doses of Disney, in controlled environments, that can be open all year long with fewer worries of an off-season. It's not completely reliant on people playing the games, and it's not completely reliant on people spending money at the shops. It's a place you'd feel comfortable bringing your children

inluvwithbeast

Sorry, but in my humble opinion, neither of those two "attractions" come anywhere near to providing the slightest bit of competition to WDW or DL!

Six Flags in Arlington has really shown its age in the last few years, and coupled with the quick trip bankruptcy I feel that even with my steep work-related discount I can't force myself to go there any more!

Most likely they'd be competing for locals. Which is cheaper for me when I have a free Saturday? Drive 3 hours and pay Six Flags admission and knock out some good coasters or pay Disney admission and ride dark rides, see shows. Honestly my peers would probably continue to go to Arlington. Cheaper and bigger thrills. Dunno. I'm not saying that those two places are on the same level, but they're there. There is a lot around DFTW for people to do other than just Disney. They'd have to make sure they were on their game, otherwise they'd lose people to the plethora of shopping and entertainment and eating places.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom