If they built another Disney Theme Park in the US, where would it be?

flavious27

Something I always thought would be an interesting experiment (especially since it wouldn't be done with my money :D ) would be for Disney to own and operate "destination" malls. Basically, take some of the elements of the Downtown Disney shopping experience, some of the elements that people seem to enjoy about Disneyquest, and create a mall that has somewhat-unique entertainment options and Disney style themeing throughout.

Think of a traditional t-shaped mall, with four anchor stores, one for each main compass point. The North anchor would be a big Disney store, something along the size of what's in DTD or in NYC. South anchor would be a multiplex that, aside from current movies, would also have a retro dinner-theater, where people can dine while watching classic Disney movies and shorts. The east anchor would house a few versions of attractions akin to what is offered at Disneyquest, ride simulators 3-D shoot 'em ups. And the West anchor would feature a family-oriented experiences that are more physical, be it laser tag, rock climbing, a fake Boardwalk with midway-style games of chance and skill, etc. Throughout the other stores in the mall would be areas with smaller simulators or indoor attractions, as well as stores that fit in appropriately with a Disney-themed shopping experience. So probably no head shops, no Victoria's Secret, and no other anchor stores like a Macy's. The food court, aside from traditional food court fare, has at least one Disney-themed restaurant, which is based on WDW itself, with seating areas based on parks or MK lands or even resorts. Some of the counter service restaurants could even have the sort of food or treats one usually only can get at a Disney park, be they ginormous turkey legs or Dole Whips, using the same recipes used at the parks and resorts.

And of course, somewhere near the middle of the mall, a Disney-specific travel store, for people compelled to make plans right then and there, surrounded by the magic of Disney and the allure of more. Probably a DVC outlet too because they're like Body Snatcher pods, they're everywhere.
The important thing is, while they try to have things to do to appeal to everyone, the Disney theme would make it less likely it would become a teen hangout like most other malls that then turn off parents from going with children. It would be a place where families would almost-always outnumber unsupervised kids, so while there would be security, there would also be a lot of self-policing, and disincentives for kids to hang out to cause trouble.

Paying to do attractions would be a throwback to the old MK admission system. It's free to come in to the mall, and you can window shop all day long without spending a dime if you want. But to do any of the attractions, you can pay for tickets or a POP fee to do everything that's available to do in the mall all day long.

Is it a theme park? No. I'm not even going to say it's a close substitute. But it would be a way to get small doses of Disney, in controlled environments, that can be open all year long with fewer worries of an off-season. It's not completely reliant on people playing the games, and it's not completely reliant on people spending money at the shops. It's a place you'd feel comfortable bringing your children

You know that Bergen County and especially Paramus, would be the last place they would build this idea. It sounds doable, they would need to bloop it in a high wdw customer area.

Moving Forward

There are places in Texas (like Bryan and College Station and the surrounding areas) where you are within a 90 minute drive of Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and Austin. That's 3 of the top 10 largest cities in the USA (with Austin as #15 and Fort Worth is #17) and several major airports. That's where I'd put it.

I wouldn't put it anywhere near Aggieland :hurl:

Banksy

I think somewhere in Texas would be great! There was a rumor not that long ago that Disney was looking at a large amount of property somewhere in Texas...I don't know whatever became of it though

Chicago (Don't bother getting all technical about distance on me, that is my answer)

THEMEPARKPIONEER

If they built another Disney took one-third of the attendance of both American Disney parks, wouldn't it lead to less funds for the parks causing cutbacks? I have a feeling if they ever did that it would be devastating to the 2 existing parks.

britdaw

I'm honestly shocked that there's not a Disney-themed park in the New York area yet... Although my first pick would be St. Louis, MO!

bgraham34

I hate to burst anyones bubble but I don't ever see Disney building a park in Texas. Either it would be in the northeast or Illinois or Missouri area. Northeast because of the large population area or the other which would be a days drive off many large population areas. The downside is the weather. Don't forget they did want to put a park in Virginia and there were also rumors about NJ.

Lucky

I hate to burst anyones bubble but I don't ever see Disney building a park in Texas. Either it would be in the northeast or Illinois or Missouri area. Northeast because of the large population area or the other which would be a days drive off many large population areas. The downside is the weather. Don't forget they did want to put a park in Virginia and there were also rumors about NJ.
I think the weather is a big factor, and VA (not to mention TX) has noticeably milder winters than MO, IL or NJ.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom