If money were no object, what would you STILL not do at Disney?

OurDailyGruel

What just isn't worth the time and effort for you at Disney if you were Midas?
Would you turn down Grand Floridian for your longtime favorite?
Would you turn down Victoria and Albert?

If I were rich, I would still pass on Victoria and Albert because I don't think one meal should cost that much.. Of course, if it was free, I would not turn it down but I am asking what would you forego if you had lots of money but it was still your own money that you would be spending.

jlevis

Interesting question and interesting responses. We're still finding and doing things we were either unaware of or just haven't done even after some 30+ visits to worry about what we wouldn't do. That said I'll probably never do Small World again but obviously that isn't a money issue. I love fine dining and have eaten at some of the best restaurants around the country but I'll probably not eat at V&A just because I don't take a suit or jacket on vacation, especially to Disney so again, it isn't a money issue. So, I don't know how to answer, which is not to say that the cost of something isn't an issue, it can be. I just can't put my finger on one.

Upvote 0

Foolish Mortal

My wife and I have eaten there twice. The first time was the night I proposed to her. The second was to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. We're not snobs or foodies by any means, but there is something really nice about having outstanding service, with great tasting food (no matter what the name or look of the food is) in a romantic intimate setting. If you still don't like it after you tried it, then hey, it's just not your thing. For someone to say, "I know I won't like it" just because of their prejudices without having tried it seems very childish to me and somewhat small-minded, but to each his own.

It's posts/replies like this that make threads go wrong. In my case about V&A's I don't know what else to say except why FORCE myself to try something I know going in I'm probably not going to enjoy ? Aside from my previous statements, I'd get major antsy sitting in a restaurant for that long. I know what my limitations are and I'm rarely wrong. Why can't people just accept that other people just aren't into certain things and have to justify/defend their opinions :shrug: Now if I had said something negative about the place without ever being in there then I could understand being labeled chidish or small-minded.

Upvote 0

wvdisneyfamily

Even still, after reading several put downs of the all star resorts, i get tired of it...it may not be a class thing, but even at a place like wdw, class warfare comes into play...its just the way it is...its easy to pick it up, just read comments on this site, or read trip advisor reviews....etc. I wish it wasnt there, and the all star resorts always get a bad rap. Im just saying that a family like mine, as well as the thousands of people who frequent the all star resorts, absolutely love it! the colors, sounds, decor, and laid back atmosphere, is what will keep me coming back. As far as the food courts go, granted, its hot dogs, cheeseburgers, pizza etc...but ill take a good ole cheeseburger any time. Im at disney world, not the left bank at a cafe in paris eating a crepe....

I personally have no problem with values. DH and I were dirt poor when we got married. It was a super big deal to stay at ASMo. We saved for a year. It was actually our honeymoon taken a year after the wedding because we couldn't afford it when we got married. We haven't been back since 2006 because we could afford to try different resorts. We are staying at Pop in December. I'm excited about it.

Values are great as are mods, deluxes, and villas. I want to try them all (except camping - I'm not outdoorsy LOL!).

Just be proud that you love your family enough to give them a Disney vacation. Love and memories don't fall into value or deluxe categories.

Upvote 0

lighteningqueen

I personally think that the values are the most Disney resorts on all the properties.. It looks like Disney and feels like Disney.. Does anyone ever recall a Mickey Movie that he went to Africa or Hawaii.. They look nice but the things in the rooms are all made by the same manufacturer just different fabrics and ideas.. Not fair to put people down who want all things Disney starting with their resort choice. Loved Pop and Loved Music Suites, in fact staying there in Dec. The room rates are 235.00 a night.. Does that make me almost Deluxe or between Mod and Deluxe??

Upvote 0

NiarrNDisney

The only thing that comes to mind that I wouldn't do would be to stay at the Grand Floridian, it just seems a little stuffy for my tastes. Although I have no problem eating at any of the restaurants, spa and bars!

Upvote 0

mp2bill

The nascar thing.
Same here
The Richard Petty experience? That was awesome! Going to a 4 day driving school was more fun, but that short track at Disney World is just great!

A four day event would be more fun...if you get to race the other students at the end. That's what I don't like about the Richard Petty experience, but what do you expect from a 3 hour class?

Upvote 0

mcstensrud

NO, I can say I wouldn't enjoy it. The whole experience at V&A's isn't my thing. I don't get dressed up in my daily life as it us, I sure as hell aint getting dressed up at WDW !!!!! While I appreciate a good meal at Narcoossee's, Citricos, Yachtsman, the whole gourmet dining thing doesn't appeal to me. Escpecially if it takes 2/12 or 3 hours.

I do get dressed up in my daily life and i do not want to go to any fancy places while at WDW because I am on vacation and don't want to play dress up.

Upvote 0

SAV

Another one for golfing. Can't stand the game, so wouldn't waste my time doing in in WDW when I won't play it at home.

That's about it. I would try anything else, even V&A's. Although I'm not a foodie, eventually I wouldn't mind spending all of that time on a meal at V&A's. It just woudn't be right away.

Upvote 0

Skooterkid

I think what I would do is much easier to imagine that what I wouldn't do, but I'll share both anyways...

WOULD DO: Live in the Grand Floridian Presidential Suite (duh lol). Spend my Saturday mornings frequenting the bakery and ice cream parlour on Main Street. Buy lots and lots of Limited Edition Pins, Disney Artwork, books and cool ornaments. Try to bribe a few cast members into letting me ride Splash/Space/Big Thunder Mountains/Tower of Terror/Rockin' Rollercoaster and Expedition Everest to my heart's content. I'd try all those expensive eateries like Victoria and Albert's at least once, and if I enjoyed them then I'd definitely return, but I can't imagine me ever ranking them above Peco Bill's! I might also hire out the Grand 1 Yacht and watch the fireworks and the water pageant. I can't think of a more perfect life :)

WOULD NOT DO: This is definitely tougher. I still would not go on Mission:Space, as I doubt that all the money in the world could cure me of that sickly feeling of take-off. I would not buy Vinylmation as it's one of the only Disney things which I just don't understand at all. I would still not go to the Wide World of Sports to see any baseball because, as an Brit, I just don't understand that game, and I would not spend much time at the golf courses. Everything else I think I'd be up for :D

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

well arent you a haughty one? "pitch a tent"...not everyone can afford the luxuries of the resorts you stated in your profile...i took my family to all star movies last april and next yr were staying at all star sports...to my family and I, not to mention thousands of other families who visit the all star resorts, we find it affordable, friendly, and a great experience....sure, they are not 5 star, but it gives us a better atmosphere (in my opinion) then some of the other on site resorts...keep your snide comments to yourself...

Actually, no I'm not hauty at all. Personally, I find it far more snide to read things into other people's posts that aren't even close to true then lecture as if the info that was assumed was correct on some level.

Unfortunately, the signatures on this forum only allow so many characters. If there were no character limits I'd be able to add all the trips we've had prior to those noted in my trip reports, 4 of which were spent enjoying Pop Century. I didn't write trip reports back then because I worked and my boys were little guys. There's also 2 trips I've stayed at POFQ. When I was a kid and went to WDW we were locals, had a big family, and never stayed on-property. In fact, I don't think we ever even ate a meal on-property because we couldn't afford to. On good days my step-father would buy 2 popcorns and 2 sodas for the 5 of us kids to share. We stay at deluxe resorts right now is because we literally scrimp & save every nickel we can to do so. We don't go to the movies and avoid eating out. We've been sacrificing weekends with my husband who has worked 6 and 7 days a week, 10 to 12 hours a day, all year. This includes this coming Sunday which is also Father's Day. Also, without good discounts we certainly wouldn't be able to afford to stay in deluxe resorts unless we spread our trips out to once every 2 or 3 years. Hauty? No. Something we enjoy enough to bust our behinds to work towards every day? Yes.

In my post I never stated why I wouldn't stay at an All-Star. You assumed it was because I thought I was too good for value accomodations because the 4 trip reports that are linked in my signature happen to be at deluxe resorts. The first problem with that assumption is if you knew me even the slightest bit you'd know that I am the polar-opposite of the type who thinks they're too good for anything. Everything my husband and I have or anything we've done we have earned the hard way over the past 18 years together. Who I am is not because I was raised with any sort of advantages. I am who I am because I sought to be different than what I was raised with and overcame the demons that worked against me. I was not given a single thing in life other than my name, work ethic, and blessings from God. I do not think myself better than any other person outside the immoral or dishonorable types. Never have. That's just not me. The second problem with your assumption is that my reasoning for not staying at an All-Star has absolutely nothing to do with low cost or value-level ammenties at those resorts.

If you really must know why I'm so opposed to the All-Star Resorts I'd be happy to explain although it would be nice to be asked politely instead of scolded. I had a close relative have an experience bad enough at Sports several years ago that I am pretty turned-off by it. Numerous palmetto-bugs crawling around in the bed with it's human occupants happens to give me a serious case of the willies. I don't think I'd be able to sleep soundly laying in bed at night imagining things touching my legs. I'd be jumping up every few hours to check my son's bed(s), too. That's not a jab at that particular resort. If a relative told me they ate at a restaurant a few years ago and found bugs on the floor or in their food I wouldn't dream of going to that place either. Also, we always thought the shared bus thing between the 3 would be not-so-great. The size of the 3 resorts combined and the sharing of 1 bus stop at the parks always seemed kinda brutal. Then there's the fact that these are the chosen resorts of the youth sports teams, etc. Additionally, a few years ago when my brother-in-law who happens to be married to a wonderful lady who is a different race than his experienced a group of loud, drunken, beligerant men on their bus who made very hateful comments using racial slurs speaking about his wife & children in their presence. My niece was in tears. When my brother-in-law asked them politely to refrain he was met with threats and more hate. I'm not saying that's representative of the clientel at the All-Star Resorts as a whole. However it's certainly something that adversely influenced my feelings for obvious reasons. All those things combined and the All-Stars aren't somewhere we would really consider staying. If a value resort is in our future I assure you it would be Pop Century which we have enjoyed immensely in the past and are confident in.

"Pitching a tent" is a figure of speech I happen to use frequently to express extreme desperation to do something. I went on tent-camping trips with my husband & sons several years back and found them all to be a complete nightmare. I spent my days cleaning things, sweeping the tent every 10 minutes, running to the showers 3 times a day....just plain ol' miserable. My fellas all find my displeasure in the inevitable "dirt" part of tent camping to be quite humorous. I dunno. It's all so much work to pack up, set up, clean-clean-clean for days only to pack up, unpack, then clean-clean-clean for days to be a whooooole lotta work without much pay-off. I'm a city-girl. Outdoorsy living isn't for me. So if I'd rather "pitch a tent" than stay at an All-Star Resort, this would mean that I would find staying at one of those resorts more uncomfortable than the misery I find in tent-camping. It's not a knock to those who tent-camp or enjoy the All-Star Resorts. People who combine their love of camping with Disney with blissful results are a great thing and I'm happy for them just as I'm happy for those who've stayed at an All-Star Resort and had a totally fabulous time.

Again, that's mighty presumptuous of you to read all that hautiness into my post. Sorry you were so far off the mark with your assumptions. Perhaps your advice to keep the snide comments to oneself would be better served if taken by yourself.

:wave:

Upvote 0

captainkidd

I feel bad for all the people that won't stay at the GF because they think "it's too stuff". I didn't find it stuffy at all. I found it very kid friendly, not to mention far and away having the best service of any Disney Resort.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

Welcome to the boards!:wave:

In sweetpea's defense, I think you read the post wrong. A dislike of the values is not always a class thing. The busses, tour groups, food court, etc... are unappealing to many people. Sooner pitching a tent than staying there is the same as me saying I'd stay at Movies before I'd stay at Fort Wilderness. It's just a comparison to illustrate how much you may dislike another resort.

Thank you. :wave:

The bolded part: Bingo!

Ehhh, that's how I read it too - it wasn't the nicest of things to say. I wouldn't have called her out on it personally, but it is what it is. :shrug:

I'm sorry if my words sounded harsh. I assure you it wasn't meant the way it has been interpreted. I've stayed at all levels of Disney resorts and enjoyed each that I've stayed in for different reasons. Thank you for not pulling the trigger without at least asking for clarification. :wave:

WOW. Speaking of haughty....

I'm really glad that you and your family enjoyed the all star resort you stayed in but that's not everyone's style. And that has nothing to do with being "haughty." I found nothing snide about the OP's post but I do find yours incredibly rude.

I have never felt the need on these boards to call people out but your post was really mean and unneccessary. You can't go through life assuming that everyone with a different opinion is somehow out to insult you.

Yep. :animwink:

Even still, after reading several put downs of the all star resorts, i get tired of it...it may not be a class thing, but even at a place like wdw, class warfare comes into play...its just the way it is...its easy to pick it up, just read comments on this site, or read trip advisor reviews....etc. I wish it wasnt there, and the all star resorts always get a bad rap. Im just saying that a family like mine, as well as the thousands of people who frequent the all star resorts, absolutely love it! the colors, sounds, decor, and laid back atmosphere, is what will keep me coming back. As far as the food courts go, granted, its hot dogs, cheeseburgers, pizza etc...but ill take a good ole cheeseburger any time. Im at disney world, not the left bank at a cafe in paris eating a crepe....

I don't know if I could enjoy WDW if I went there and felt like I was in some class-of-living contest. Personally, I've seen all walks-of-life at every level of resort. :shrug:

Eh, I know I'd probably be missing a bunch of great stuff but the only thing I've ever thought of doing in Paris is go check out the Disney Parks. :D

I personally have no problem with values. DH and I were dirt poor when we got married. It was a super big deal to stay at ASMo. We saved for a year. It was actually our honeymoon taken a year after the wedding because we couldn't afford it when we got married. We haven't been back since 2006 because we could afford to try different resorts. We are staying at Pop in December. I'm excited about it.

Values are great as are mods, deluxes, and villas. I want to try them all (except camping - I'm not outdoorsy LOL!).

Just be proud that you love your family enough to give them a Disney vacation. Love and memories don't fall into value or deluxe categories.

Yep yep yep! We were so young when we got married. All we had between us was our clothes, a hand-me-down bedroom set, a 13" tv, a half-dead ol' pick-up truck, hopes, and dreams. We had a single-night honeymoon at the beach because we couldn't afford more and we had to start fall classes on Monday. ((We got married the Saturday before the start of the quarter.)) We lived in a converted old garage at my in-law's house. Our first trip taking our sons was at Pop Century. We saved like mad and sold everything we had that held any real value. The experience was so magical it pushed us to challenge ourselves to find ways to cut back where we could, find ways to earn extra money, and learn to save better so we could get back at least every year if we could manage it. And we have. Life has certainly brought us a lot of blessings since our meager beginnings. We enjoy trying out different resorts and find things we love and appreciate in each. :wave:

Absolutely on the last bit. Truer words couldn't be spoken. That's what we always say: 20 years from now when we're sitting around reminiscing it's not the amount of money spent that will define our memories. It's all about being together and enjoying every moment we can.

I personally think that the values are the most Disney resorts on all the properties.. It looks like Disney and feels like Disney.. Does anyone ever recall a Mickey Movie that he went to Africa or Hawaii.. They look nice but the things in the rooms are all made by the same manufacturer just different fabrics and ideas.. Not fair to put people down who want all things Disney starting with their resort choice. Loved Pop and Loved Music Suites, in fact staying there in Dec. The room rates are 235.00 a night.. Does that make me almost Deluxe or between Mod and Deluxe??

Agreed. Not fair at all. That goes in both directions on the scale, tho. People who enjoy deluxe resorts shouldn't look down on people who enjoy values and vice versa. I'm glad you mentioned the Music Suites. I've never looked at the price there. A few days ago I was looking at the rates for the new Art of Animation suites and was thinking that seemed high. I thought maybe they were upcharging for the theming but I guess they're right in line with what the family suites run at the value resorts. I'd love to try out the new AoA resort sometime! :wave:

Upvote 0

mrsdanalind

Value vs GF

:xmas::wave:We have stayed at Poly, GF,Contempory, in fact most of the resorts, and fully have enjoyed each one because each one in it's own way has a special Disney stamp. The strange thing is we like the Values best of all, and if I live long enough to be able to stay at all the different resorts, I will, but I think I'll always have a small happy spot for the values, that is the ones our kids grew up going to, and each one of them have a favorite. The oldest likes AS Movies, the middle likes AS Sports, (the soccer section) my youngest likes POP computer. LOL each is different each is special and each has the Disney :eek::Dstamp.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom