I remember when ...............

kapeman

you could get on swan boats in the waters around Tomorrowland and the castle. I also remember when you could ride the monorail to Epcot during it's construction to see how it was progressing.

Any other things that you have fond memories of that others maybe unaware of :shrug:

You mean like this?

image10s.jpg

montyz81

I remember when it was fun to be free!
I remember when figment wasn't a figment of my imagination
I remember when Disney characters weren't in Epcot Center.
I remember when you could swim in Bay Lake
I remember when the Ole' Water Hole was a place to keep cool.
I remember when the walk down main street wasn't like walking down the street of an outside Simon mall.

Fantasmic

I remember the Adventurer's Club.

I remember no expiry was complimentary on tickets.

I remember when Future World educated you, not thrilled.

I remember when Aliens were scary, not fluffy.

I remember the days before Pixar.

I remember Mickey's Birthdayland

I remember when King Louie was on the Jungle Cruise....

Oh wait, that last one never happened did it :ROFLOL:

Edeyore

I remember when I could afford to go to WDW. The Family and I have not been since 2004.
In 1998 we stayed at the Polynesian and it was magical. Doing the same trip today would cost over $7,000.00.

Minnie1976

I remember being able to swim in the lake at FW, the bread bowl and chowder at CHH and having street sweepers always there as soon as someone dropped something on the ground.
Just yesterday my husband was talking about swimming in the lake at FW. He and my oldest son did that one time when we stayed in FW

Minnie1976

197710DWDumbo.jpg

I remember being at the Mk in 1977 at Dumbo. The sky was dark. My oldest son and I had just gotten off of Dumbo. They loaded Dumbo up and it started to sprinkle. The people were asked if they wanted to go up. They said yes. Even back then the lines were long for Dumbo. We were standing under an umbrella around Dumbo. After the attraction took off, the sky opened up. There were these poor people on this attraction with the happy music playing and water was pouring out the holes(Dumbo at that time had holes on the side). They stayed up there for the enter time. It was so funny, but I felt so bad for these people. They were drenched. I've included a picture of the black cloud. I'm in that line. It could have been me in the rain. HA!HA! We just missed that exciting,wet ride.

Malvito

I Remember ... was also the title of a song, written by Broadway composer Stephen Sondheim, for a television special entitled Evening Primrose. As the theme of the song is very similar to this thread (no, the previous statement was not meant to be a non sequiter), I have been trying to put these posts to the music of that song. As Mr. Sondheim's work is very precise, I have been having no luck at this endeavor.

That having been said ...

I remember:

Adventures From Inner Space (DL, not WDW, but it's still Disney, right?);

The Travel Pavilion and It's Fun To Be Free (to be honest, it was cute but I don't miss it that much);

Having the bejeezus scared out of me on Snow White's Adventures (this was before they put the "Scary" in the title);

The presence of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, which I didn't go on at the time because I had had the bejeezus scared out of me on Snow White's Adventures;

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea (back in either 1972 or 1973);

Standing in line for 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, many, many years later, when I was in the Navy (1989), and realizing that 20,000 Leagues was a ride for which they would never be able to find an adequate solution to the problems with the queue;

Smiling through clenched teeth, in the queue for 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, while wearing my Navy Summer Whites (had not yet been issued a civilian clothes chit), because the joke about being Navy Personnel in the right place, while cute the first time around, got kinda old ...;

Accidentally looking up while on the submarine in 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, while in the Navy, and seeing the top of the water, which spoiled the illusion for me;

My first time riding Dumbo, which was on the trip that would lead to my engagement to my first wife (1993) ... I still have fond memories of the ride, if not, necessarily, the marriage;

My first visit to the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse (1972 or 1973), and thinking it was uber-cool;

My last visit to the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse, which was on the trip that would lead to my engagement to my first wife, and still thinking that it was uber-cool but also thinking that it was uber-high, my acrophobia having had time to develop;

Telling my current wife (close to 2 years and still going strong) that I want to take her to Walt Disney World and seeing her enthusiasm grow as we have watched Travel Channel specials (our running joke: Her - "Another ad?" Me - "It's NOT an ad ... it's an informational special.") and looked at the Travel Planning DVD. We have a goal for September (i.e. Value Season) 2012 at Port Orleans - French Quarter, and it will be our (very) late honeymoon.

enchanted_belle

I remember when the Castle was pink for the 25th anniversary............what too soon? :D

Yeah Disney, don't ever do that again

I remember being excited about that.... and now I look back at the photos 7 year old me took and I wonder what Disney was thinking (and what I was thinking for taking so many pictures of it).

I also remember learning how to rock climb, shoot a bow and arrow, and horesback ride at the Disney Institute... as well as getting to go back stage at a bunch of the shows through them.

Epcot is my fav

I remember being able to swim in the lake at FW, the bread bowl and chowder at CHH and having street sweepers always there as soon as someone dropped something on the ground.

THE BREAD BOWL...ahh that was the only thing I use to eat at CHH

I also miss....

tarzan rocks
doug live
horizons
that 2 level bus that rolled around WS with all the characters
mr. toads wild ride
dreamfinder
live shows in general at MK

PeoplemoverTTA

I remember when the only character breakfast was on the Empress Lily boat at Disney Village.
The refillable mugs were resort specific.
The original ImageWorks that was actually fun.
"Now is the time, now is the best time..." on the Carousel of Progress
When the Buzz ride was Dreamflight.
When the Mickey Mouse Club was filmed live at MGM Studios. (I ALWAYS wanted to go to a taping of it. That was my favorite show!)
The burning house on Tom Sawyer Island.
Mickey's Birthdayland
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Strawberry Swirl from the Enchanted Grove in MK
Getting dinner reservations for 8 people at King Stefan's Banquet Hall that afternoon. Non of this 180 in advance stuff! :lol:

My family ate on the Empress Lilly for my 8th birthday in 1988. We stayed at the Viscount in DTD and walked to the "Village." My twin brother and I had the whole place singing to us, and characters paid extra attention...such a cool day.

And I always wanted to see the Mickey Mouse Club too! My sister and I were just randomly talking about "The Party," a pop band that had a few hits, and consisted of Mouseketeers (I wonder what Damon looks like today...*swoon*).

Mongomil

I remember on Main Street playing in the penny arcade.

Being able to move around the area without bumping into someone.

Books of Tickets.

MGM on a board at the Magic Kingdom.

Being about 2" to short for the Indy cars but they let me on them by myself anyway.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and being just me and one other family on it.

Being grabbed by Goofy as I was comming off the Haunted Mansion ride and brings me over to a bench. Then has me get on one knee and used me as a stepping stool to get on the bench to make a speach.(just alot of hand gestures)

riogirl

I remember a lot of those things too!

20,000 Leagues....the smell of the sub...

Main Street little flower out cove section (don't know the name)

Characters walking around the parks

Horizons and World of Motion...my fave part of Future world!

Someone mentioned Disney Radio when you got on property! I soooooo remember that...what an exciting feeling for a little kid!

I am happy to say that the "magical" feeling when driving onto property for our yearly vacation still remains! Along with the first time walking onto Main Street! Love my Disney!

JoeZer

Steampunky Time Lord
...when MGM Studios (yes I mean MGM) had the largest hidden mickey on property.

I miss that ginormous hidden Mickey as well...

You can still make out some elements of it though...but the entire pattern is gone. :cry:

quirkle

I miss being young and going with my parents - having my Dad be super excited because EPCOT was opening and we were going.

I miss sitting next to my mother on 20,000 Leagues and pointing out the fish so excited,

I miss waiting for my sister to see Cinderella and being so upset the the Prince was with her.

I miss WOM and Horizons.

I miss spending hours in Imageworks and my parents reminding us there was a whole other park out there.

I miss seeing the Osborn lights on the back lot tour.

I miss the thrill of the enormity of it all.

Emyli Mouse

I'm so glad you mentioned the McD's French fries. YUM.
When I was a kid, I took an animation "class" at MGM where I was with other 8-10 year olds and we got a backstage tour, learned about the secrets of animation, and were able to paint a cell of Mickey. They showed us on the guide map how the planters, lake, and other buildings did in fact make the face of Mickey! Every time I go, I marvel at how the current map keeps losing that original quality. Maybe you can google old maps to see it!

Minnie1976

I remember when the only character breakfast was on the Empress Lily boat at Disney Village.
The refillable mugs were resort specific.
The original ImageWorks that was actually fun.
"Now is the time, now is the best time..." on the Carousel of Progress
When the Buzz ride was Dreamflight.
When the Mickey Mouse Club was filmed live at MGM Studios. (I ALWAYS wanted to go to a taping of it. That was my favorite show!)
The burning house on Tom Sawyer Island.
Mickey's Birthdayland
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Strawberry Swirl from the Enchanted Grove in MK
Getting dinner reservations for 8 people at King Stefan's Banquet Hall that afternoon. Non of this 180 in advance stuff! :lol:
Our first character breakfast was on the Empress Lily in 1981. I'm so sorry it isn't there anymore. It was special. I still have the picture I took of my 2 sons with Mickey on my now Disney mantel. I had forgotten about the burning cabin. Thanks for the memory.

sublimesting

I recall:

A magic shop outside of the Haunted Mansion as well as one on Main St.
When BTMRR was being built.
The Mickey Mouse Review
When you could buy frontier souvenirs in FrontierLand

MansionGoer13z

*I remember When the Yeti Actually worked and wasn't forced to go to the Disco.

* When Mainstreet wasn't a big Shopping Arcade and they had other stuff to do.

*After a Castle performance, A mass of Characters came out for Meet and Greets.

*Every attraction wasn't focused just on a movie or franchise.

*When the front of EPCOT Center didn't look like a technological gravesite.

*The Hollywood Backlot Tour was actually enjoyable.

*There was ExtraTERRORestial attraction that was actually enjoyable.

*Stich didn't blast out your eardrums at the crack of dawn.

*UoE was actually something to be amazed by. When now its just meh.

* Lights never came on at Space Mountain, Where it was revealed that its just a giant erector set.

*You took hydrolators to go under the sea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom