I remember when ...............

IowaHawks7

i remember me falling asleep :snore: at MK, i was about 3 yrs old and waking up to Peter Pan telling me i was dreaming. I thought it was all a dream until i realized he was really in front of me. I also remember when all 7 dwarves would walk around in a line.

mergatroid

Original Poster
You don't really miss that do you? I am so glad that I didn't visit WDW when they still had the ticket system. Absolutely terrible to know you only have a limited number of rides until your booklet is empty and you have to buy a new one or that's it.

To be honest my friend at the time it was normal, so didn't seem bad back then. I would hate to go back to that system though as it's great to have unlimited access to the attractions. Interestingly back when they had books of tickets, If You Had Wings in the MK was the one attraction that didn't require a ticket at all for some reason.

LordHelmut

Hitting the way-back button...

When entering WDW, the entrance road was a two way, one lane each way street....

If you went to Florida, 2 days was WDW, 1 day Sea World, 1 day Cypress Gardens/Silver Springs/Singing Tower or a hundred other things... Not parking once on-property until the day you left.

And the drive from the edge of the property, to the parking lot was scenic, not an extension of I4 with billboards and so many overpasses/intersections...

Tuning an AM radio station to hear the announcements on the way int.

Hotels were $6.00 at night - Days Inn.

Having to explain everything to everyone else with me about displays/attractions in Future World, and being totally excited that there actually was SOMEWHERE like it... (yeah, I know I am the minority on the edu-tainment aspect) Anyone remember getting a science kit in what is now generic mech @ mousegear ?

Last, Citrus Swirl - The real one, with very tart orange juice and real soft serve ice cream, brought to you by Florida Orange Growers. Not the current sherbert/yogurt (yogurt - really ? Do I LOOK like I am at home, on a health kick ?????)

Minnie1976

To be honest my friend at the time it was normal, so didn't seem bad back then. I would hate to go back to that system though as it's great to have unlimited access to the attractions. Interestingly back when they had books of tickets, If You Had Wings in the MK was the one attraction that didn't require a ticket at all for some reason.
DSCN5718.jpg

Here's an example fo the ticket books if anyone hasn't seen them or would like to be reminded. HA! HA!

rob0519

I remember when:

* the Contemporary had the best arcade in WDW.
* the Contemporary still had some theming in the lobby
* the Tennis Club at the Contemporary (not everyone plays golf)
* Discovery Island was open
* the Wilderness Lodge had a Lady Bug release program one day a week to teach the kids about how the bugs help keeps the plants by eating aphids and other plant pests.
* Main Street had side streets where you could buy fruit and drinks and flowers, not just one loooong store.
* the Main Street Bakery had dozens of pastry options, not just four or five

I could go on, as most of us who have been to the World multiple times over the years, but much like everything else, things change and evolve. We just need to get used to that fact and look for new things to remember five and ten years from now.

Spike-in-Berlin

That was because "If you had wings" was sponsored by Eastern and they payed for the ride so it was free.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
The other thing that contributed to a ticket not being necessary for If You Had Wings was it's overwhelming lameness.

mergatroid

Original Poster
The other thing that contributed to a ticket not being necessary for If You Had Wings was it's overwhelming lameness.

How dare you Sir, pistols at dawn!

Well it's all about opinions I suppose and you're more than welcome to your own. Whilst it was never really hi-tech, it had a charm and quaintness about it which I loved. I could and did, ride that attraction over and over and have many fond memories of doing so.

mickey2008.1

I remember River Country
Swimming in the lake at the Polynesian
World of Motion
The wand on SSE
Mr Toads Wild Ride
Lake Buena Vista; wasnt much there but a few shops and a play ground
When you could pick out your own salt water taffy, not prebagged with all flavors you dont like
When there was only one park with two resorts

I remember the SkyWay and being a little scared of riding in them. But the view's were great. I remember the blue and green carpet at the Polynesian Village from way
back when. My dad still calls it the Polyester Village. (he was an apparel rep for 30 years)

I remember when the Land had the Mickey Mac & Cheese with the breadsticks!

Do they still have that?

Im not sure, but they sell the Mickey MacnCheese still (unprepared) - So I'd asssume yes!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom