I have a Bone to pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Who are we to tell people how to raise their kids?

We have no idea why certain kids are in strollers or people are in ECVS..and it is not our place to care.

If people would mind their own buisness concerning how people live their lives then the world would be a better place especially over trivial things like a child using a stroller or a person using an ECV.

Unless someone rams into you or hurts you with a stroller...a stroller should not cause grief for anyone...if you are going to a Disney park..there will be strollers..many of them.

this whole thread amazes me..:lol:

The interwebs make absolutism easy indeed....

WDWLOVER1957

As for ecv's, there is a lot of support for the proposal to ban them from the parks. ECV's are one of the major causes of guest injuries. The people driving them are not safe, and are consistently running into people and objects (damaging Disney property) as well as running over people's feet. Yes, ECV rentals are profit for Disney just like strollers, but Disney is likely to save money from the potential for lawsuits arising when a guest is struck by another guest in an ECV.

never going to happen, did you know when hiring a Disney ECV you have to sign a waiver releasing Disney from any problems.

Pepper's Ghost

We have no idea why certain kids are in strollers or people are in ECVS..and it is not our place to care.

If people would mind their own buisness concerning how people live their lives then the world would be a better place especially over trivial things like a child using a stroller or a person using an ECV.

Unless someone rams into you or hurts you with a stroller...a stroller should not cause grief for anyone...if you are going to a Disney park..there will be strollers..many of them.

I agree with most of what you said. I was just explaining what people are complaining about. And if someone chooses to baby their grown kids who don't have special needs, that's their business. But if they do so and are rude to me because I'm trying to get around their gargantuan stroller, or if they push the thing into my heels or ankles, I've got an issue with it. That's just me though.

Maybe people with strollers enjoy having their ankles banged up and people being rude to them when in fact it is those people who are being selfish and rude. I'm not one of 'em though.

misterID

I wasn't going to get involved in this dumb thread, but I have to say: Good post.

Some of the people in this thread make my head hurt.

kerrie

As a mom of 2 younge children I can see a different side of this. I am very conciderate when pushing my children trying not to hit anyone HOWEVER there are those people and we have all encountered them that see you coming and cut you off causing you to hit a inoccent person or to hit them and for those people I say pull your head out of ur A**. Now I can see that older kids do get bebied but you would think if the chilren dont have physical or mental disablities that cause them to need a stroller that a parent wou.d be super excited that theydont need one or all that goes with it. My kids being 2 and 4 walk most of disney and i feel funny pushing an empty stroller sometimes but they get tired faster while running and walking arouns and im not carring them.LOL So to each his own i guess and we all just need to be paitent disney isnt going anywhere evan though our trips are limited. Im Not pointing fingures just though id remind everone we have all been there.

Pepper's Ghost

By the way, I wanted to add that I understand that most people with strollers are courteous and go out of their way to let other people in front of them. I honestly have had no major issue with it in genereal, but it's those few who act as if they are the only ones in the park that get under my skin. I do realize that is a small percentage of people, but why are they always around ME though. :shrug: :) Oh well.

In fact, I sincerely want to thank those of you who ARE courteous when using your strollers. I appreciate it. I just wish those few others wouldn't ruin it for everyone. I guess you can say that just about any segment of the population though.

*EDIT* Ahhh Kerrie, one of the courteous ones I just spoke of. :D I posted this response before I saw yours. I agree with everything you said!

maggiegrace1

I agree with most of what you said. I was just explaining what people are complaining about. And if someone chooses to baby their grown kids who don't have special needs, that's their business. But if they do so and are rude to me because I'm trying to get around their gargantuan stroller, or if they push the thing into my heels or ankles, I've got an issue with it. That's just me though.

Maybe people with strollers enjoy having their ankles banged up and people being rude to them when in fact it is those people who are being selfish and rude. I'm not one of 'em though.
Like I have said earlier..I have never ran over anyone or banged into anyone with our stroller..or stop in the middle of the street...though I know people do..

Though from the other side...I have had people run straight in front of me and I had to swerve to not hit them..or stop right in front of me also..so it is not always the stroller people who are rude
I wasn't going to get involved in this dumb thread, but I have to say: Good post.

Some of the people in this thread make my head hurt.
Thank you!
By the way, I wanted to add that I understand that most people with strollers are courteous and go out of their way to let other people in front of them. I honestly have had no major issue with it in genereal, but it's those few who act as if they are the only ones in the park that get under my skin. I do realize that is a small percentage of people, but why are they always around ME though. :shrug: :) Oh well.

In fact, I sincerely want to thank those of you who ARE courteous when using your strollers. I appreciate it. I just wish those few others wouldn't ruin it for everyone. I guess you can say that just about any segment of the population though.

*EDIT* Ahhh Kerrie, one of the courteous ones I just spoke of. :D I posted this response before I saw yours. I agree with everything you said!
:lol:

Maybe you just attract them somehow..:shrug::lol:

maggiegrace1

As a mom of 2 younge children I can see a different side of this. I am very conciderate when pushing my children trying not to hit anyone HOWEVER there are those people and we have all encountered them that see you coming and cut you off causing you to hit a inoccent person or to hit them and for those people I say pull your head out of ur A**. Now I can see that older kids do get bebied but you would think if the chilren dont have physical or mental disablities that cause them to need a stroller that a parent wou.d be super excited that theydont need one or all that goes with it. My kids being 2 and 4 walk most of disney and i feel funny pushing an empty stroller sometimes but they get tired faster while running and walking arouns and im not carring them.LOL So to each his own i guess and we all just need to be paitent disney isnt going anywhere evan though our trips are limited. Im Not pointing fingures just though id remind everone we have all been there.
AMEN!:lol:

Linnie the Pooh

Oh my, the old stroller debate rears its ugly head. Well, I'm one of the parents who you would probably think babies her kids. My son was 9 or 10 when we stopped using the strollers-and he was big for his age. Why did we use them?

He's got a neurological disability. You'd never know how disabled he is just by looking at him. He looks like he'd be perfectly able to walk through a Disney park, but he's got such a severe communication disability and cannot think in a way other kids can. If he were to get separated from us (which is very possible in a crowded park) he wouldn't know how to seek help in any way.

He tires very easily too. Physically, he looks ok, but he has a very low tolerance for much physical exertion. Solution? Use a stroller. My daughter is 2 1/2 years younger than him and she loves her brother so she would sit by him and keep him company. Had/has nothing to do with us really babying our kids.

I know most people would understand our need or desire for the stroller, and I'm not offended or taking any comments personally, but wanted to explain our family's situation. You'd be surprised at how many kids there are these days that are disabled in some way and you'd never be able to tell just by looking at them. Sure, not every big kid in a stroller really needs to use one, but if a family wants to use a stroller for whatever reason, then I say go ahead. Isn't that what they're for?

My kids walk now and even though my son is still severely disabled he has developed an incredible ability to keep himself safe and near us. When he was younger though, those strollers kept him safe, our minds at ease and it made it much easier to enjoy the parks.

Linnie the Pooh

I gotta tell this story-one time we were crossing the walkways in Epcot on the way from World Showcase to where Test Track and Mouse Gear is. We were on one of those bridges and this group came toward us. My husband was pushing the stroller so I moved behind him out of courtesy to the large group that was coming our way to give them room.

Now for some reason, this group was all walking side by side next to one another, taking up the whole walkway. They saw us coming, but continued walking side by side. I figured the two coming right at us would move back behind their group like I did so we could pass. Nope. They kept coming at us. What were we supposed to do? We couldn't fold up anymore than we already were. Even if we stopped walking, they'd still have to move to get around us. We couldn't go anywhere. We did stop walking and --

Finally just before bumping into us, they moved aside, but gave us really dirty looks the whole time. I looked at my husband and asked him what the heck was that all about? What did they expect us to do? We were on a bridge-jump over the side so they could pass and still walk side by side with their group? It was really bizarre. :confused: We couldn't get any smaller than we were and I had made room for them to pass, but they were still going to have to move a little to get around our stroller. Strange.

I did notice after this incident though, how many groups walk side by side each another and take up a huge portion, if not all, of a walkway. When we're in a big group, we don't do that. We kind of walk in a small group-maybe 2 by 2 or whatever. It's easier to talk to each other that way. To each his own, I guess. :hammer:

Walt Disney1955

This thread screams the idea of someone bringing up the story "The boy that cried wolf". We all know that story, no need to explain it but here's my theory on life.

If you are hurt, then fine, you deserve a wheelchair/scooter/stroller. This covers MS, even broken legs, other disabilities, etc.

If you are tired or just flat out lazy, get up and walk. The walking will do you good, no one ever dies from walking in a WDW park. There are also plenty of benches, and almost every attraction at WDW let's you sit down.

Also, if your kids can walk, make them walk. They'll complain, they are kids, but a kid who constantly complains knows they can get away with this because their parents don't discipline them.

If your kids are sick, disabled, broken legs, too young to walk, then that's okay. You are a good parent for getting a stroller for them.

graphite1326

Original Poster

I take it then that you have a 10 year old that you still put in a stroller. Poor kid.

maggiegrace1

I take it then that you have a 10 year old that you still put in a stroller. Poor kid.
Nope..I have a 5 year old little girl..who looks like a 3 year old..26 lbs and 36 inches..she was born severely premature and weighed 15 oz at birth and will probably always be small..she had a feeding tube till a year ago and wore a brace on her leg till a year and a half ago

She is great now..but small...little legs..and gets tired easily after running and walking around..so we use a stroller for her when we go somewhere we will be walking a lot..because to carry her all day in the parks when her legs get tired is hard to do..

The thing is..if someone wants to use a stroller..who are we to judge?

If you need to worry so much about what other people are doing and why then you really should look into getting a hobby..:wave:

I take it you do not have any kids?..lucky kids..:D

graphite1326

Original Poster

And just to make things clear!!!!! Since I started theis thread. I am not against peolple using a stroller, wheel chair, ECV. I am fine with that. It is about the lazy parent who puts their healthy 8,9,10, and older child in a stroller. I even read in one of these threads the people were giving it as a tip to rent a stroller to carry what they need and buy for the day. I have been going to WDW since teh 70's and I have never seen the stroller abuse as I did last week. You literally could not move after the fireworks there were so many on MSUSA.

AND if I'm getting feet run over and shins banged it IS my business.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
And just to make things clear!!!!! Since I started theis thread. I am not against peolple using a stroller, wheel chair, ECV. I am fine with that. It is about the lazy parent who puts their healthy 8,9,10, and older child in a stroller. I even read in one of these threads the people were giving it as a tip to rent a stroller to carry what they need and buy for the day. I have been going to WDW since teh 70's and I have never seen the stroller abuse as I did last week. You literally could not move after the fireworks there were so many on MSUSA.

Stroller abuse? Are there stroller patrols to stop this heinous crime?

And what part of the word "unless" escaped you in her post?

graphite1326

Original Poster
Nope..I have a 5 year old little girl..who looks like a 3 year old..26 lbs and 36 inches..she was born severely premature and weighed 15 oz at birth and will probably always be small..she had a feeding tube till a year ago and wore a brace on her leg till a year and a half ago

She is great now..but small...little legs..and gets tired easily after running and walking around..so we use a stroller for her when we go somewhere we will be walking a lot..because to carry her all day in the parks when her legs get tired is hard to do..

The thing is..if someone wants to use a stroller..who are we to judge?

If you need to worry so much about what other people are doing and why then you really should look into getting a hobby..:wave:

I take it you do not have any kids?..lucky kids..:D

I have two, both born early and small for their age. We have been going since my youngest was 6 (he is 20 now). Never used a stroller.

We are often told how good and polite our children are and we did a great job raising them.

maggiegrace1

Who cares if they put them in a stroller though? Why do you let it bother you?

I am sure there are things you do that people do not approve of but it is not their business..I am not a fan of smoking...but I do not go around complaining that people are smoking!

If they hit you then fine..but I have been going every year since I was 3 and have never been banged into by a stroller...I am sorry you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom